Home Forums Chat Forum Berlingo internal Roof Bars (DIY)

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Berlingo internal Roof Bars (DIY)
  • alric
    Free Member

Berlingo internal Roof Bars (DIY) anyone done it?
    seems like I could make something up to fit to theholes for the factory roof bars, but I guess theyre not best suited to bikes, so has anyone here done it, or got any good plans?
    It would be good to easily stash the bike under the roof and keep the rest of the rear space free

mattbee

I’ve got the factory bars for mine but they are sitting in the garage as they get in the way of putting bikes in upright which is the main reason I got the ‘lingo.

I suppose you could hang a bike under them horizontally with the wheels off and on top.

maybe some of those expanding shower curtain rails? Or I have seen similar sold as accessories to stop stuff moving around in caravans.

alric
    Free Member

i guess Id want to take the front wheel off and fit it all on the bars
    would there be room to do that with the factory bars?

DickBarton

I have some, works great and droppers mean no problem putting bikes in.

DIY can be done but the proper ones drop down to give space to store stuff like boot shelf/paddles, etc.

reformedfatty
    Free Member

By the time you are thinking of bikes on roof bars you are surely needing an (even) bigger vehicle.

I can fit 3 bikes wheels on and 3 people inside mine without struggling. A weeks camping equipment plus 2 bikes is no problem and that’s taking the wife, so camping includes everything ever.

If I needed more space I would be looking for a towbar + towbar mounted bike rack long before the internal roof bars.

croe
    Free Member

Unless your bike is sized for a toddler I don’t think you’re going to be able to do this. Quite a bizarre idea really although I’d love to see a picture to prove me wrong!

DickBarton

Internal roof bars aren’t for carrying bikes, they give about 6″ of space between roof and bars so you can use that dead space for carrying stuff. Depending on saddle height it might not be dead space. They work really well.

alric
    Free Member

Thanks
    I saw the holes for the bars, and wondered. I havent seen the bars in real life

mahowlett
    Free Member

The weight limit for those bars is pretty low too, I think it’s 20kg, certainly the brackets are fairly flimsy, not sure I’d want to be hanging bikes off them on a regular basis.

chrisdw
    Free Member

I made some in my older one out of accessory cord and penny washers in the holes.

Used it to carry a surfboard or kayak paddles. Even with the solid ones i dont think you’re getting a bike up there.

Stealth ad… Anyone want a full set of blackout screens for the older shape berlingo. Made by amdro campers.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Berlingo internal Roof Bars (DIY)’ is closed to new replies.