Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 130 total)
  • Attacked by a dog, what now?
  • pgh1892
    Free Member

Just been to hospital for a tetanus boost jab and a course of antibiotics, have two nasty puncture holes in my calf, the worst of which is an inch deep and will leave a crater like scar. The doctor was adamant I should contact the police as it could have been a child.
    The dog sprinted out of a farmhouse yard into the road and just bit me, no provocation, no warning. There was a bit of an argument with a young girl who owned it and in the end she said come in my mum’s a nurse she will treat it. A few minutes later the girls younger sister came in with two plasters and said mum said she’s not coming down. She also rang her father who also had no interest in speaking to me
    Everyone involved was shocked by the larger wound, the elder girl then said something about the road being private and there were signs. There were no signs and we are quite sure the area where the attack was is not a private road, it’s also a public footpath.
    I feel sorry for the kids in a way as I don’t really want their dog taken away however its hurt me and in all fairness it’s extremely dangerous so reporting it may do somebody else a favour in the long run.
    Im most angry with the patents of the girls as they didn’t seem at all bothered and more so that the mother was a nurse.
    The doctor said I’d be referred to a plastic surgeon if it were my face which makes me think I should report it, the other side is I think the younger sister may blame herself if the dogs taken away as she ‘let him out’.
    But if your kid was next and ended up needing plastic surgery it wouldnt be much of an excuse would it?

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Report it to the police have it put down , no excuses dogs shouldn’t be biting anyone if they are trained properly, especially as you know where they live report it now and consider having it put down if need be, as if it’s done it once it’ll do it again and like you say could be a child next, I’ve had it before and unfortunately I was in the middle of no where and the **** wouldn’t give me her name and address , had no choice but to leave it, same shit excuse that it doesn’t like ‘bikes’ dog was off its lead etc, absolutely no excuses

Should have given it a kick in the head vicious little shite

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

Definitely report it, that is horrendous!

wurzelcube
    Free Member

Report it to the police – for all you know the police may have had previous complaints.

wiggles
    Free Member

Report it. The little girl won’t have time to feel guilty if the dog rips her face off.

At the end of the day it’s only a dog not worth risking a child/anyone being seriously injured or killed.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

as wurzle says with it being at the address it may well have it noted down that it’s done it before

I feel sorry for decent dog owners, but unfortunately any dog off its lead when I’m riding I’m skeptical it’s gone bite and have my size 10s at the ready

JAG

I agree with the report it sentiment, the dog could well be dangerous to others.

However – anyone who says “it’s only a dog” makes me very angry.

A life is a life and is not for anyone to treat with such disrespect. Whether it’s a dog, Ant or child we should never be so glib about the taking of ANY life.

Please tread with respect in this world – we all share it.

But definitely report this incident.

Stevelol
    Free Member

You must report it!

butcher

However – anyone who says “it’s only a dog” makes me very angry.

Absolutely. Obviously the owners need to be aware of the problem, and if they don’t care, they should be dealt with. But it’s the potentially extreme consequences of reporting it that would put me off, because at the end of the day, it’s not really the dog’s fault. Anyone who says ‘it’s only a dog’, or ‘have it put down’ deserves to be put down more than the dog, imo.

benp1

Dog lover and owner here – definitely report it

jameso

Report but appreciate that a lot of dogs go for cyclists, unlikely to be a link to it going for children imo. There’s a farm dog near me that’s drawn blood after it went for my ankle twice now, only a nipper terrier but the owners say it’s done it before. I did say they could train/tie it up/etc and if it went for me again it’d have to be reported, but I like animals generally and would rather they sorted it than ‘the authorities’. If there’s a right of way across a farm the dog will get territorial but the owners have responsibilities too.
    If you’re on wheels, dogs go for you. Get off the bike and they usually lose interest.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Haha it’s not the dogs fault? Niceeeee some dog owners really are blinkered about their pets

Some dogs are great, some are vicious some can turn vicious out of the blue, if it’s not dealt with just keep letting them do it? Great solution

If it bites someone it should be punished or the owners should simple as that

It’s a dog at the end of the day, and It shouldn’t be biting anyone and getting away with it

Ps I’ve had loads of dogs in the past I’m just not blinkered about them if they can bite once they can do it again and probably have done

What’s the solution? A telling off and a treat after you’ve told it off?

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Butcher don’t report it brecause the dog may suffer as a result? Seriously???? Wow

pingu66
    Free Member

Report it, dogs shouldn’t go for cyclists or anyone for that matter, train it, get it used to these things FFS.

Dog owner, unprovoked attack, private property or not gets a jab from the vets no question.

pgh1892
    Free Member

I will report it tomorrow, I answered my own question in the first post really but it’s all a bit of a shock, me being me I cant help feel sorry for the kids but then again as someone mentioned it could be her next.
    I’d normally say just give the dog a kick myself, im young fit and I’ve foght professionally but I was helpless today, the speed and power of a large dog is unbelievable, I was genuinely shocked by its power, I can honestly say bike or not I don’t believe I’d have fought off a sustained attack, anyway I’ll ring up tomorrow

wiggles
    Free Member

Right so I’m evil for saying it’s only a dog but in the next sentence I deserve to be put down 🙄

I like dogs but attacking people = get rid of dog. No other way to deal with it dogs aren’t going to learn from owners being fined etc

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Sounds like a big dog them, the kick only really works on the yappy little shit ones, big dogs are a different matter, not much you can do to fend them off if your on a bike

Good on ya reporting it leave it up to the powers that be to decide its fate, they may well think it’s dangerous themselves if they visit the address in question

What’s made it worse is the clear lack of care by the girls parents and dog owner, that in itself tells me everything I need to know about them as dog owners

mav12
    Free Member

where was this wasnt of the rainford by pass by any chance

jameso

tbf sounds like more than a terrier nip and if it’s a big, powerful dog I’d take it more seriously.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Wiggles that’s singletrack for ya 😉 and some blinkered dog owners that somehow make it out to be your fault you get bitten by them 🙄

crikey
    Free Member

Similar situation a while ago, I got bitten and dragged off my bike by a small dog which also pulled its owner over into the road because it was on a lead.

I ended up with puncture wounds to my thigh and a few scuffs, so had a tetanus then nipped into the police station to report it.

Two very pleasant police chaps came round and took a report, and I had a chat with British Cyclings insurance company.

Basically the Police suggested that I could press charges, and that the dog may well be put down, and the insurance company said it was my choice whether or not to press for damages, the permanent scarring would mean a payout of £1500 or so.

So I could have really spoiled someone’s Christmas.

I didn’t do any of the above, I asked the police to go round and have a word with the owner and left it at that.

4 years on, I met the owner by chance outside her house and asked if she still had the dog. She said that she had it put down because she was about to go into sheltered accommodation and couldn’t take it with her, and that was one of the shortest, saddest conversations I’ve ever had.

Think on…

pgh1892
    Free Member

I am not a dog owner or lover but I do not bear it any animosity whatsoever, I don’t feel my situation should be punishable by its death, on the other hand if I felt it’s owner’s were slightly bothered it would be different, they obviously don’t care there dogs bitten someone, it’s not about me getting payback it’s just what could be next if that makes sense. My grievance is with its owners

Inbred456
    Free Member

If my dog bit anybody it would be put down immediately. Report it and ensure that it is followed up. Get in touch with solicitors and sue the owners. Hit them in the pockets.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

The owners are a disgrace, unfortunately doesn’t help the dogs case does it 🙁

At least if they were apologetic you can give it the benefit of the doubt if its the first time it’s done it, even with reporting it, but what chance does the dog have if it’s owners couldn’t give two shites?

Owners and dogs fault I have no sympathy regardless of outcome, if the owners are like that the dog has no chance of changing as they clearly don’t care

Sets a great example to their daughters too 🙄

cinnamon_girl

Make that phone call now.

Take care of yourself.

maxtorque

I’d put on my nicest, smilest face and go back and try to have a quick chat with the actual owners of the dogs (the grown ups). Give them a chance. See what they say. If they are total t**ts about it, then yes, straight to the Police on the way home.

Don’t be confrontational, or argumentative, just say “i’m concerned, because i don’t want it to happen to anyone else, especially not a child”

Make it clear you’re not after money/compensation etc, just you have concern that they need to control there dog a bit better.

See how it goes, then make a judgement call.

rickt
    Free Member

It needs reporting tonight…. Not tomorrow.

mattbee

Dog owner and lover here, I say report it. Aggressive doge should be under control and unable to get into situations whereby they can harm people.
    It’s awful to me to think that the dog could be destroyed because of its actions but at the end of the day if it’s a choice between that or the chance of someone getting even more seriously injured than you were, I know what I think is best.
    I’d be absolutely devastated if I was in the same position as that dogs owner but they should not have left the dog any way to do what it did.
    The owners should be punished severely though, it is their actions that have led to the dog behaving in that manner. Shame they can’t be put to sleep, they made the dog that way, it is just acting in the manner it thinks is appropriate.
    Owners like that give those of us who care how their dogs act around others a bad time of it sometimes…

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Dog attack = police

You are not responsible for the outcome so stop worrying.

hora
    Free Member

Report it. Sorry if my old dog bit someone unprovoked I’d be apologetic beyond belief. Their response scares me.

RustySpanner

JAG – Member

A life is a life and is not for anyone to treat with such disrespect. Whether it’s a dog, Ant or child we should never be so glib about the taking of ANY life.

How about a tapeworm?
    Fleas?
    Lice?

And who was being glib?

MrsToast
    Free Member

I love dogs and am a dog owner, and I’d say you need to report it ASAP. It doesn’t matter if it ‘only’ goes for cyclists, or other dogs, or children, or men with beards – if it’s in a public place or on a public right of way, it needs to be under control, and certainly not be attacking!

The owners’ response is also pretty unforgivable, and doesn’t exactly inspire confidence that it won’t happen again. Dog ownership is fantastic, but it’s a privilege that comes with responsibilities, both to the dog and to other people.

I’ve had to report the same jack Russell/ staffy cross down the road to the dog warden twice because of him attacking our dog, and he’s now got to be muzzled in public. I imagine any attack that involves drawing the blood of a human will be taken more seriously.

cinnamon_girl

The owner is acting cowardly as he was obviously worried about getting thumped. It’s also possible that this wasn’t the first time the dog had bitten. He needs to face up to the responsibility of dog ownership but could be too late for that.

I would double-check that the track you were using was definitely a public right of way.

Drac

Report it they don’t automatically destroy dogs for biting people so this may be enough that they keep the dog under better control next time.

oldboy
    Free Member

What’s the problem? Report it. It’s a dangerous animal masquerading as a fluffy family pet. The sooner it’s put down the better!

mrmo
    Free Member

Report it, the very least the owner can do is ensure the fence, gate is in place to stop it running after cyclists. I agree some dogs will chase but that isn’t your problem, well it is if they bite you, but it is the owners responsibility to ensure the dog can not chase and be dangerous.

I have often passed farm yards and the farm collies will chase on its side of the fence, which is fine.

That the owners didn’t come to check is not a good sign!!

hora
    Free Member

Someone more vunerable, a lady, oap or child walking their dog passed would probably receive the same attention from that dog defending its perceived territory.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Get it reported tonight. Why are you waiting?

As above its the owners lack of action that is worrying, but then not surprising as it is not dogs that are bad, its an issue with the owner that makes them a poorly behaved / dangerous dog.

Just ring 101 for non emergency Police.

project
    Free Member

Dont bother report it it only bit you,youre not badly hurt, just some small wounds,perhaps take the dog a toy to play with as a sign of forgivness.

and then a few days later you hear of a small child, adult or other dog bing badly bitten by an out of control owner who obviuosly doesnt care less for his dog , then how will you feel all for the sake of a free phone call.

binners

Shoot it! It’s the only way it’ll learn. Actually…. Perhaps all dogs should be pre-emptively shot? Just to be on the safe side? Hmmmmmmmmmmm…..

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 130 total)

The topic ‘Attacked by a dog, what now?’ is closed to new replies.