Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 130 total)
  • Attacked by a dog, what now?
  • RustySpanner

Perhaps all dog owners should be pre-emptively bitten? 🙂

My solution:

A written test to see if you’re capable of understanding how to look after a dog.
    Dog licence – fee based on weight/size of dog.
    Compulsory chipping.
    Compulsory training, paid for by the owner – keep retaking the course until you and the dog pass.
    Destruction of all strays – 3 strikes and you’re out, just to take into account dogs slipping away from owners.
    Destuction of all dogs who have been reported for attacking people.
    Significant fines for fouling.

We’d have fewer dogs. But the ones we did have would be happy and well looked after.

rickon
    Free Member

If it bites someone it should be punished

You really don’t understand dog psychology.

Anyway. As said above, you need to report it so that it’s raised as an issue that needs to be dealt with.

I work with dogs, and have trained lots of dogs. I’m starting a training school next year also, and my recommendation to police would be one to one training sessions mandated to the owners for 6 months.

The biting is a reaction to something as a trigger, its pretty simple to replace the reaction the dog demonstrates, but unless the owners are made aware of how serious an issue it is the dog cannot be helped.

Essentially the dog would be frightened, which leads to fear, which leads to a desire to act first. He needs desensitising, which can be done with the vast majority of dogs, it just needs time and patience.

Reporting it to the police is the best thing for everyone, you, the family and the dog. You may stop it from hurting others, and you could stop it from the dog actually ending up being put down.

wiggles
    Free Member

[QuoteJAG] – Member
    A life is a life and is not for anyone to treat with such disrespect. Whether it’s a dog, Ant or child we should never be so glib about the taking of ANY life.[/quote]
    [Quote]
    How about a tapeworm?
    Fleas?
    Lice?
    And who was being glib?[/quote]

EXACTLY

Lots of animals are killed for much less serious reasons, being tasty for example.

I’m not a horrible animal hating bastard, I have never owned a dog but often look after them for friends, including a guide dog who was attacked by an out of control dog and had to be put down as a result of the injuries.

Also my son was attacked very nearly bitten by a large dog when he was a 6month old baby.

So have just lost all my sympathy for incompetent dog owners.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    rickon
    Free Member

Also, please ignore the posts above that are being rather disrespectful to dogs in general.

Dogs are like people in many ways, some are nice, some are horrible. And in 99% of cases its due to how they were brought up.

Horrible children generally have parents that are horrible to them, or neglectful. Its the same with dogs.

Don’t blame them for how someone has neglected them, help them. I do.

binners

Maybe the owners should be shot, if their mutt bites someone?

RustySpanner

binners – Member

Maybe the owners should be shot, if their mutt bites someone?

Nah.

Just prosecuted for failing to control their animal.
    It’s the dog who should be destroyed.

6,447 people were admitted to hospital for dog bites in 2011-12
    1040 of those were under 10.

Acceptable?

rickon
    Free Member

Still missing the point.

All that’s required is the owners to understand there is a real issue with their dog, and to deal with it through training. That would actually fix the problem for that dog, and hopefully all dogs they would then own.

Given they live on a farm, they’re likely to continue to own dogs. So it would make sense.

They may be lovely people, just bad dog owners.

A dog only understands the boundaries that have been set for it by the owners, if the owners don’t know what these are, or how to do this, then the dog is doomed to fail.

A lack of knowledge, or understand can be a dangerous thing.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Anyway. As said above, you need to report it so that it’s raised as an issue that needs to be dealt with.

as does the owner

I work with dogs, and have trained lots of dogs. I’m starting a training school next year also, and my recommendation to police would be one to one training sessions mandated to the owners for 6 months.

The biting is a reaction to something as a trigger, its pretty simple to replace the reaction the dog demonstrates, but unless the owners are made aware of how serious an issue it is the dog cannot be helped.

Essentially the dog would be frightened, which leads to fear, which leads to a desire to act first. He needs desensitising, which can be done with the vast majority of dogs, it just needs time and patience.

Reporting it to the police is the best thing for everyone, you, the family and the dog. You may stop it from hurting others, and you could stop it from the dog actually ending up being put down

like this dog? http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/owner-pleads-guilty-after-dog-6388597

the lovely bit about this story is that the owner did a runner only handing himself in when his picture was published by the MEN

or this one
    http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/staffie-dog-attack-leaves-whalley-6400368

“What’s shocking is that when I was in hospital three out of the four beds had people with dog attacks in. One had had his ear bitten off.

be careful out there

binners

Aaaaaaaawwwwww – can we not shoot them?! Go on!!

oldboy
    Free Member

I thought it wouldn’t be long before the dog kissers arrived!

tpbiker
    Free Member

call them up and tell them that you cycle past there all the time, and if it happens again you’ll report it….

Next time you go past see if there is still a crazy hound on the loose. You never know this might be well out of character for the dog, and despite what people say he might not be the crazy devil hound that people have assumed.

RustySpanner

rickon – Member

Still missing the point.

All that’s required is the owners to understand there is a real issue with their dog, and to deal with it through training. That would actually fix the problem for that dog, and hopefully all dogs they would then own.

So how do you propose we bring this about?

rickon
    Free Member

Report it to the police. The courts can impose such an action.

crankrider
    Free Member

No second chances, that is a horrendous idea, what if it had been a child cycling past!? Im not saying it should just be shot but things need assessing now.

Simple answer, ban ALL dogs of a certain type and size, akitas, alsatians, dobermans etc etc unless you are a skilled dog handler and can prove it.

Society in the uk is getting out of control with crap dog culture, i love dogs, will likely have one in the near future but not some stupidly large or specifically bred dangerous abomination. (Just how many of these animals were bred for protection or fighting? – f@@king mental that we now buy them as family pets!)

RustySpanner

rickon – Member

Report it to the police. The courts can impose such an action.

Not working very well, is it, seeing as dog attacks are increasing?

Do we have any figures regarding this court imposed action?

How many reported?
    Action taken, etc?

binners – Member

Aaaaaaaawwwwww – can we not shoot them?! Go on!!

Go on then.
    But only if you promise not to enjoy it.
    I’ll check you know.

oldboy
    Free Member

I know someone who’s dog own attacked her three year old child; causing serious facial damage that required complex surgery. Fortunately, ten years later, the child now has minimal scarring. So what did she do about her dog?

I’m glad you asked? She spent over £1500 on classes to train the dog not to do this naughty thing again. Me? I’d have killed the f**king dog with the nearest sharp pointed instrument I could lay my hands on!

GolfChick
    Free Member

I got bitten by two Rottweilers not all that long ago, public footpath ran through someone’s garden and although it warned of dogs running free it mentioned nothing about them biting. The woman’s reply when I confronted her was pathetic and could tell it had happened before and being as I had my sixty year old mum in the car with my own dog I reported it immediately as if either of them had come with me it could of been much worse. They came out to my house and took the statement and I basically said I didn’t want it going further than the police going round and having a serious word with them about it. Definitely report it but more than that is your decision to make.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Go on then.
    But only if you promise not to enjoy it.

Dont trust him he will make a pie with them

As for OP report for the offence and get the firmest actions given the owners complete and utter lack of GAS over an actual wound that required treatment and leaving it to small kids to deal with – that probably tells you all you need to know how about seriously they take responsibility!

crankrider
    Free Member

The insane thing is, if a person ran out of the house, down the road and started smacking seven bells of crap out of someone they would be in court for assault or worse….

How some people can even consider it would be OK for a dog to do this is beyond me.

I can only see this problem growing too as dogs become more popular, something needs to be done. What was the last one that made the papers? A dead pregnant woman at the hand of a dog…. mental.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

The insane thing is, if a person ran out of the house, down the road and started smacking seven bells of crap out of someone they would be in court for assault or worse….

How some people can even consider it would be OK for a dog to do this is beyond me.

+1

nwill1
    Free Member

Report it for all of the above reasons…needs putting down!

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

OP – What did the Police say last night when you reported it?

kcal

Bitten once by nasty collie outside farm cottages. It had ‘never bitten anyone before’. Aye right. Police very involved. Went to court. Got compensation ‘offer’ — which I sent to SSPCA.

Apparently it then bit someone else – or a different collie did. Not sure of the outcome there but not good. I’d be kicking up stink with the owners to be honest, dogs aren’t the problem, just the symptom.

Fact that the parent didn’t come down, despite being a nurse, is ringing all sorts of bells..

natrix
    Free Member

+2

My three year old daughter was knocked off her balance bike by a dog yesterday. The owner said “Oh dear, I thought he might do that” – Well why the **** didn’t you put him on a lead then?!! 👿

To be honest, the vast majority of dog owners I encounter are responsible owners, with fairly well behaved dogs, but there’s that tiny minority that boil my p**s 👿

tomj
    Free Member

Burn it’s kennel down. Only language that sort understands!

martinhutch

Report it. It’s far from certain that the dog would be destroyed on this occasion, but the owners definitely need a bollocking ASAP.

JCL
    Free Member

Any chance you can give me the address? I’ll round up a load of kids and take them up there for a good old feast. I **** hate kids.

pondo

Who said that?

I_did_dab
    Free Member

Two puncture wounds = not an aggressive bite. More like puncture wound from the canines resulting from a chase and grab response. A proper bite would leave you with a chunk of calf missing. (The long canines are the reason why dogs often pop cheap plastic footballs.)
    It shouldn’t have happened and it could have been a child, but I wouldn’t say the dog was dangerous, you and it were just unlucky.

JCL
    Free Member

I’m glad you asked? She spent over £1500 on classes to train the dog not to do this naughty thing again. Me? I’d have killed the f**king dog with the nearest sharp pointed instrument I could lay my hands on!

Yeah but you’re one of those simple reactionary types who only does things to make themselves feel better.

wwaswas

Two puncture wounds = not an aggressive bite

😯

I suspect, for the recipient, being bitten feels quite aggressive.

But no, they should be grateful it was just a playful nip and they’ve not lost half their calf.

martinhutch

A predatory response in a dog which is capable of leaving an inch-deep puncture wound makes it dangerous in my book, whatever the technical definition of the term. It was certainly dangerous to the OP, he will be left with scarring, and will quite likely be dangerous to the next cyclist who heads up that way.

yunki
    Free Member

pondo – Member

Who said that?
    POSTED 8 MINUTES AGO #
    I_did_dab – Member
    Two puncture wounds = not an aggressive bite. More like puncture wound from the canines resulting from a chase and grab response. A proper bite would leave you with a chunk of calf missing. (The long canines are the reason why dogs often pop cheap plastic footballs.)
    It shouldn’t have happened and it could have been a child, but I wouldn’t say the dog was dangerous, you and it were just unlucky.

POSTED 8 MINUTES AGO #

aaah.. the sweet irony of these comments being posted at exactly the same moment 😀

the dog is a ****..

chiefgrooveguru

I like dogs and consequently am concerned that if this isn’t reported an innocent dog could be killed by this dangerous one at some point in the future. The behaviour of its owners doesn’t exactly inspire confidence does it?

ekul
    Free Member

Don’t see what the issue is? Chicks dig scars…

“Oh this?! I was attacked by a shark when i was surfing off the coast of Australia… Oh my, your pants have fallen off!”

cb

Sorry to lower this debate to a question but, what would happen if the incident got reported, the dog got put down? Would the owners automatically be banned from keeping dogs? I sense not. Didn’t I hear that dog laws are being tightened up? Anyone know what was included in that proposal?

andybrad

Glad you’ve reported it. Have the dog put down and hopefully it will teach another inconsiderate dog owner a lesson at the same time. I feel sorry for the animal having to have such an inconsiderate owner.

I would also try and peruse them for an much costs as humanly possible.

RustySpanner

I_did_dab – Member

You know the test and training I proposed for prospective dog owners?
    It would be designed to weed out people like you, who should never, ever be allowed to own a dog.

bails

Eerily similar to the dog bite thread last week with someone claiming that the dog that bit that OP wasn’t “out of control”, it was just “not under control”. Which are totally different things.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Someone will be along to say the dog was just playing with the OP and the OP must have upset it by looking at it funny, or breathing, or blinking….. 🙄

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 130 total)

The topic ‘Attacked by a dog, what now?’ is closed to new replies.