Home Forums Bike Forum Assegai vs DHF vs ???

Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)
  • Assegai vs DHF vs ???
  • beer247
    Free Member

WTB Verdict light high grip front
    WTB Judge tough high grip rear

The only combo you’ll ever need

Extra weight gets you fitter as well!

richmtb

Anyone use an Aggressor at the rear?

I’m struggling to find a 2.3″ Dual Compound DHRII to go on the rear but CRC have got the Aggressor in stock.

I had a Rekon lying around and tried it on the rear. Its hilariously shit. I think a Minion SS has more grip.

honourablegeorge

Aggressor has the rolling resistance of the DHR2 with the grip of the SS. It’s not good at anything.

richmtb

^^^^ Cheers

I will avoid then.

In the garage I currently I have:
    2.3″ 3C DHF
    2.3″ 3C HRII
    2.4″ Rekon
    2.3″ Minion SS

Out of that lot what would you pair with a 2.4″ 3C DHRII up front for woodsy natural trails

honourablegeorge

I quite like the SS, it’s better than it should be in the wet, although braking grip is obviously rubbish. I didn’t hate the Rekon, but only ever used it in 2.8″.

I’d probably stick the DHF out back, we were all happy with DHF front and rear back in the day. Bonus for having a front tyre out back and a rear up front.

SirHC

Aggressor in 2.5 is ok, its just worse at everything compared to a DHR. 2.3 is terrible, no side bite, no braking grip and draggy for how little of the former it gives!

A rekon with DHR/DHF/High Roller side knobs would be ace, like a beefed up minion SS (which has a narrow window to us it, plus having to run it on a sub 25mm rim)

teethgrinder

Aggressor in 2.5 is ok, its just worse at everything compared to a DHR

Almost. Last night’s ride on the BFe was bone-jarringly terrible with a 2.3 DRH2 on the back. The time before that on a 2.5 Agressor was bliss in comparison. Even though the clearance isn’t great, it’s going back on.

chakaping

Almost. Last night’s ride on the BFe was bone-jarringly terrible with a 2.3 DRH2 on the back. The time before that on a 2.5 Agressor was bliss in comparison.

That does appear to speak more to the frame than the tyres though, TBF.

richmtb – I’d stick the DHF on the back when trails are dry and swap to the HR2 when wet.

richmtb

swap to the HR2 when wet.

I’m in Scotland so I’ll just stick the HRII on then :)

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I have about 35 miles on my front mounted Assegai on my Aether 9. It’s still early days, but I’ve not found it to roll any slower that the DHF or DHR2.

So far, its edge grip seems a bit worse that the DHF in softer conditions, but that figures because its a tighter spaced tread which certainly does fill up unless its dry.

In good firm ground it seems to be no worse than the DHF. I’m hoping as things dry it will show its qualities more.

My suspicion is that its a better trail centre tyre for a typical UK summer than it is for natural trails and off-piste.

If this is the case I will either end up back on a DHF or a Magic Mary for the summer season.

chakaping

I have about 35 miles on my front mounted Assegai

Which compound, out of interest?

I’ve been riding the Maxxgrip (DD carcass) and it’s great as an intermediate tyre – not quite as good mud-shedding as a Mary – but amazing for loam & wet rocks/roots.

Painey
    Free Member

Reading this thread with interest. I’ve just picked up a new bike that has a Rekon on the rear with the EXO casing. A friend tells me they’re quite light and as I’m planning on taking it to Snowdonia I’m wondering how it’s likely to hold up? It rolls well but that’s what you’d expect from the tread pattern.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

It’s a maxxterra I think. Rubber isn’t sliding, it’s edges aren’t tall enough for the softer soil we still have down here, or there isn’t enough bite because the tread is quite dense.

deanfbm
    Free Member

Just fitted a pair of dissectors, early days but I’m liking them a lot.

The edge knobs are actually pretty tall and more on the side wall than any of the other maxxis I’ve seen, they have a really, really good edge to work with. A 2.4 is pretty rounded on a 30 mm rim.

Braking is good, not DHR levels though.

Rolling is good.

Turning is really, really good. I’m sure the same people who don’t get on with high rollers with have the same issue with dissectors.

joebristol

Anyone use an Aggressor at the rear?

I’m struggling to find a 2.3″ Dual Compound DHRII to go on the rear but CRC have got the Aggressor in stock.

I had a Rekon lying around and tried it on the rear. Its hilariously shit. I think a Minion SS has more grip.

If you can find a dissector that’s better than the aggressor. Faster rolling than a dhr2 but finds more grip than the aggressor.

appltn

I’m on DHRII max grip front and DHRII max terra rear, both in 2.4. The rear tyre needs replacing and I’m thinking I’ll either just swap it like for like or maybe buy a soft Magic Mary for the front and move the max grip DHRII to the rear until it’s worn out.

Has anyone experienced both the MM and the DHRII as a front tyre? How do they compare? I’ve generally liked the DHRII on the front but wonder if there’s something better out there. I’d like it to be decent in dry & loose and also wet and loamy. I’m not so worried about mud, basically I’m looking for a year round option excluding sticky mud. Would you recommend something different entirely?

Northwind

appltn

Has anyone experienced both the MM and the DHRII as a front tyre? How do they compare?

Pretty much like you’d expect actually- they’re both fairly allroundy but the MM is better at the muddy end, the DHR2 is better on mixed/hard, they meet in the middle. They’re both really good (I’m comparing soft with maxxterra here, both 2.4) The DHR2 has a more forgiving nature I think, that classic “when it goes, it goes gently” which makes it easier to use all the grip, the Mary has more grip in a lot of circumstances but it’s definitely harder for me to push that grip because when it goes, it goes.

For me, the Mary’s probably the best “one tyre for all uses” I’ve ever used. But the DHR2 is better at the things it’s good at and that’s still a really wide range. Narrower range of use but better in that range. So me, I’d prefer to have a Shorty and a DHR2 and swap occasionally. But a lot of people would rather have the Mary all the time and that’d be really good too.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Completely agree with Northwind’s comments re:the Magic Mary. It’s the only tyre I can think of that I would happily use all year round on the front.

joebristol

I wasn’t a fan of the dhr2 on the front (but like it as a back tyre) – I found it had good grip until the moment it didn’t and then I found myself using my face as a brake.

Magic Mary is a better front tyre for me. The 2.35” is a good allrounder (snakeskin addix soft / 650b) for most conditions. The 2.6” apex snakeskin addix soft (650b) is much better than the 2.35” in sloppy mud and does ok as an allrounder. Vs the Hillbilly 2.6” it’s better on hardpack – the Hillbilly squirms more.

DHF is better than all of the above on hardpack for me but it lacks bite when it’s muddy. I tend to run dhf spring / summer but Magic Mary or Hillbilly the rest of the year up front.

appltn

Thanks for the feedback, it’s very helpful.

It sounds like maybe my best option would be to stick with the DHRII I currently have on the front right now since we’re coming in to spring and summer and then look at a magic mary at the end of the summer when I expect this DHRII will be nearing the end of its life anyway.

honourablegeorge

SirHC

A rekon with DHR/DHF/High Roller side knobs would be ace, like a beefed up minion SS (which has a narrow window to us it, plus having to run it on a sub 25mm rim)

I should have recommended the Dissector, it’s spot on for what you want here, I think. Been impressed with it, although I did rip my first one a bit too eaily

chiefgrooveguru

“ Vs the Hillbilly 2.6” it’s better on hardpack – the Hillbilly squirms more.”

I’ve had the same Hillbilly 2.6 on the front of my Levo for over 2000 miles (quite a bit of commuting in that) and this autumn/winter I’ll put on a fresh one. The centre knobs have worn to the point that the sipes are just vanishing but the side knobs are barely worn. It’s riding so well in the current mix of dry hardpack with loose moments, shorter knobs mean the squirm is gone!

I know it isn’t the stickiest of compounds but it’s not that bad and this kind of wear rate is incredible – it’s like some of the best Continental black chilli tyres. Maxxis tyres round off their edges so much sooner!

I have a Magic Mary 2.35 on my hardtail and it’s equally great – such good all conditions front tyres.

Northwind

Quite like the dissector! Not as grippy as it looks imo but also faster than it looks. I’ve often looked for something between a dhr2 rear and a rockrazor and it’s maybe the best for that I’ve found. Still not entirely sure I’m going to stick with it but it’s good

richmtb

I’d actually quite like to give other brands a try, I’m not desperate to be a Maxxis fanboy but they are easily the most consistent when it comes to putting them on a rim and staying up.

Other brands (I’m looking at you Schwalbe) I’ve found to be utter dicks when it comes to getting the tyres on the rims and inflated. Magic Marys look great but if I have to spend an hour swearing at them, bruising thumbs and snapping levers before giving up then I’ll stick with DHR’s

YMMV but i just find Maxxis easier to live with.

Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘Assegai vs DHF vs ???’ is closed to new replies.