Home Forums Bike Forum Assegai vs DHF vs ???

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)
  • Assegai vs DHF vs ???
  • jcway16
    Free Member

I’m thinking of trying out a different tire set-up on my all-mountain/enduro bike, which is a current Bronson CC V3 with a top spec build, running Reserve 30 rims.

I’m currently running a 2.5 DHF Max Terra EXO front and a 2.3 Aggressor DC EXO. These have (seemed to) serve me well on my local NY/NJ/CT terrain which consists of hard, dusty over hard, some loose and with chunky rock mixed in a bitch. Typical New England terrain. There are also a handful of bike parks days mixed in there.

My current tires keep the bike feeling lively and mostly just damn fine, but that vague spot in the DHF may be throwing me off, or my cornering technique just sucks. I feel like a different front tire may be much more confidence inspiring. I also feel like I’d appreciate a touch more volume out back, a 2.4 Aggressor would be perfect.

So, how does the Assegai compare to the DHF? What about the Dissector vs Aggressor?

I’ve read many reviews on the Assegai and some say that the Max Terra version can be skittish, while the majority of the reviews are for the DD or DH which are vastly different than the Max Terra EXO that I would run.

kelvin

2.5 DHF Max Terra EXO front

This is the front tyre I spend the most time on… but also use a 2.6 DHF and various WTB Vigilante. The knob spacing on the 2.6 is different to the 2.5, with a less ‘surprising’ transition… but in most conditions, the Vigi is even more consistent, especially in loose stuff.

wildfires3
    Free Member

Exactly the same findings for me with the DHF. I found it quite fast rolling and at moderate lean good, but as soon as I hit the dead spot (because I can’t buy skill) the front drifts wide.

I have just taken out my new Aether 9 and fitted it with the Assegai EXO+ MaxxGripp on the front, mainly because Bird only ship with Maxxis.

So, the Assegai, it’s not as draggy and heavy as reviews make out and it really does eliminate the dead spot totally. There is loads of grip, maybe a bit too much. I had a couple of moments where the front almost snapped in on me last night. However I should say, first time out on new bike.

What I can definitely recommend is the Hutchinson Griffus 2.5 (front) for the front. I went from the DHF MaxTerra EXO to the Griffus and it was night and day.

I’ll go out on a limb and say that it is a great balance between grip and rolling speed. The compound is way better than the MaxTerra and almost as sticky as MaxxGripp, but rolls faster. It’s 66TPI so lighter than the EXO+. Best part is it’s about £45.

I would reccomend it over the Assegai, on all fronts, unless you are smashing it through mega rough terrain.

On the Dissector, I love it. I switched to the Griffus 2.4 (rear) for the rear, expecting a similar change like on the front. Mega grip, that I didn’t need and loads of rolling resistance.

The Dissector (EXO, MaxxTerra) rolls really nicely, is predictable on a breakaway and when the side knobs engage you get feedback.

My preference is Griffus 2.5 Front, Dissector 2.6 on rear.

The FS is Assegai (EXO+, MG) and DFR2 (MT EXO) and it will be going to Griffus and Dissector.

SirHC

Assegai is better in the dust than the DHF, be warned it is draggy though!
    I’ve trimmed the small knobs out of the exo maxx terra one to make it better for mix conditions, found it clogged with a full compliment of knobs.

Had a dissector, found the sidewalls a bit flimsy, so would go with the exo+ next time, put a hole in the one I have and snake bited the bead. Rolled quick and cornered well though.

mjsmke

I’ve just gone from a DHF 2.5 to a Dissector 2.4 on the front. Only been out once but the Dissector feels lighter and corners just as well. So far.

I never got on the the Aggressor on the back. Felt slow and heavy. I much prefer a faster feeling tire on the back.

richmtb

I’m slowly realising I don’t get on with DHFs

In the mud and loam I’m not going quick enough to clear them and they clog really easily and I’m not aggressive enough with the front end to get the tall side knobs biting.

Weirdly, I think I actually preferred the DHR II as a front tyre.

kelvin

I’m trying that next. I have a 2.4 to try on the front.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

DHR2 is a great front tyre, there is a reason why quite a few racers run them on the front.

For me the Assegai EXO+ MaxxGrip is a great front tyre. I’ve pretty much run it year round now on my normal bike, coupled up with a DHR2 MaxxTerra Double Down on the back. I tend to run what I race, so I know what to expect. Not the fastest rolling combo but they just work & don’t do anything weird.

In fact I replicate it on my eeb too, just run DH casings but the same compound. The only time I have changed is to chuck a MaxxGrip Shorty on the front in the depths of winter as I tend to ride a lot of steeper, loose stuff and when it’s really deep mud the spike helps.

As spring has now sprung though, back on the Assegai.

TheGhost
    Free Member

Assegai all the way for me. My DHFs are now unused.

luket

Ref Dissector vs Aggressor on the back

I’ve been running a 2.6 Dissector on the back of a hardtail through the winter. It’s been OK for that. Not amazing in UK winter but an OK all-rounder, although I think mainly it’s the high volume and low pressure of it on a 35 rim I’m liking and I would probably say the same about a different tyre in 2.6.

Before this I ran the same tyre on a 30mm rim on the back of an enduro bike in the UK spring/summer, after a few rides on an Aggressor, so some sort of a like-for-like comparison. For me, I liked the Dissector a lot more than the Aggressor, mainly because the Dissector was less crap at shedding mud and to me it wasn’t noticeably slower. However they were both blown out of the water for me by the far grippier 2.4 DHR I replaced them with. Maybe 2.6 tyres on 30mm rims are just too inclined to distort. Anyway, re Aggressor or Dissector, if I want a fast back tyre for the summer I’ll bypass them both for a Minion SS/Rock Razor and if i don’t I’ll stick with DHR.

Ref DHF on the front – I’m another who has a marginal preference for DHR I think, although I’m happy enough with DHF and have had them many years. You just might find DHR is different enough to improve the front, or you might not.

big_scot_nanny

I’ll chuck in WTB Verdict. Wow, what a tire.

stevemuzzy
    Free Member

I have ridden HR2s for a couple years front and back but about to change to a disector on the back for summer.

To me I found the minnions fast rolling but not as predictable on the front as a HR2 so switched back.

I demoed a bike with Assegai front/dissector rear and it was brill but a wee slog up the hills.

Northwind

DHR2 has made the DHF obsolete for me, I just think it’s a better tyre in pretty much every situation (except maybe for deep mud, but that’s what shortys are for).

Assegai I’m still on the fence about, every ride I’ve done with it lately it’s clogged like a mother****** at some point. Could be just because of the specific mud (some of the local trails are very sticky) and it’s definitely partly because I’m doing more lockdown pedalling, less high speed descents so it’s not getting flung off. I’ve not tried cutting it and I’ve not written it off but so far I’ve not been blown away. It’s not a fault of the tyre exactly but I wanted it to be sort of allroundy-but-muddier-than-the-dhr2-and-less-full-on-than-a-shorty, and it’s struggling to do that. Probably the Magic Mary soft is a better choice, for me.

(maybe if I’d been having a usual winter of tweed valley slippy terror I’d be singing its praises)

militantmandy
    Free Member

Assegai amazing in everything except the worst mud. One of my favourite tyres ever.

jcway16
    Free Member

Thanks for all of the replies!

I have noticed the DHRII mentioned quite a few times as a good front tire over the DHF.

DHRII seems like it could be a good (and lighter) set-up front and rear.

Does the DHRII front get rid of some of the vagueness that the DHF can have, or does it also have to be railed to really engage those side knobs?

I’m really looking for something that is going to feel locked in at all angles.

onedpete
    Free Member

My go to tyre combo for last 5 years or so was 2.4 dhr2 front paired with an aggressor 2.3 dd rear most of the year or a pair of dhr2s during winter or possibly a shorty up front if I was racing in the real slop and wanted max traction. Dhr2 really is an ace tyre either end, up front it defo brakes much better in the steeps than a dhf and corners just as well in my opinion. Main issue I’ve had recently though is shitty quality control with maxxis tyres, warping and failing at the bead. Dd rear is a good solid option if you get a good one, exo is a bit fragile for me.
    Anyway, I’ve now moved onto Kenda latest tyres, thought I’d give them a go as the hellkat looked like a nice uk all rounder. I run a 2.4 HK atc up front, which I’d say is on par with exo plus casing, but lighter on the scales. Such a great tyre! Like a faster rolling Mary, grips like hell in most stuff, better all rounder than either minion I’d say. Casing is very good too, supple but supportive and wobble free. Nevegal 2 emc rear which is their e bike casing, so tougher more reinforced carcass. It’s faster rolling than the HK and minions, comparable to an aggressor I’d say, but better all rounder, although still not the best option in the slop. A pair of hellkat would be epic! I wanted a HK 2.4 in emc casing for the rear, but only 2.6 available atm.
    Sorry, bit of an essay there! 😂

onedpete
    Free Member

… Just to add, the HK comes in an AEC casing which is the enduro tough casing, dd equivalent, but only in softer compound which put me off for general rear use as assumed it would be a bit slow and fast wearing. If grip is top priority though I’d say they’d be a winner.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Out of the DHR2 and the DHF, I still prefer the DHF on the front. It seems to sit a bit squarer and thats exactly how I like my edge grip. I’ll be trying am Assegai thia summer.

I too have come to realise that the DHR 2 is not what I’m after. The 2.3 is perfect except for carcass volume, and the 2.4 is just a bit to draggy and steals the perkiness from my ride.

The dissector seems to give the perk of the 2.3 with the bigger 2.4 carcass, and it brakes pretty well too, but I think it gives up a little edge grip. But I can live with that one the back.

Northwind

jcway16
    Free Member

Does the DHRII front get rid of some of the vagueness that the DHF can have, or does it also have to be railed to really engage those side knobs?

Basically it brakes and transitions better, the side knobs are essentially the same but if you’re struggling with confidence or feel from the ground it’s definitely easier to get into the edge grip on the DHR2. I don’t think there’s any equal-but-opposite downside to that tbh, it just feels nicer pretty much in ever corner.

DHR2 does go sideways a wee bit easier than the DHF, but it does it in a calmer way- so it’s kind of like it drifts a wee bit more but it’s way less troublesome whereas the DHF drifts less but when it does it, it’s much scarier and more abrupt. (this is way more obvious if you put a DHF on the rear and it goes grip… grip… grip… DOOM and suddenly the rear end’s at 90 degrees. While the DHR2 kind of goes grip… grip… steady now… watch it… slide… slide some more…” and it’s all just way easier to work with even if maybe there’s not actually quite as much absolute grip.)

rob13
    Free Member

Glad I’ve found this thread. Waiting on a Bird Aether and tyre choice is the Maxxis range – DHF, DHR2, Assegai, Rekon and Dissector. Ive been a long time away from MTBs so confidence is required! Got the fitness from years of road work but skills will be lacking. From the conversation above, sounds like the DHR2 might be the tyre for front and rear to give some of that confidence? I’ve had a few crashes on road and before that on the MTB and it’s always been front end washouts which made me more and more tentative with cornering.

teethgrinder

Much prefer the 2.4 wild Enduro front to the 2.6 dhf.
    But I’ve ruined spring for everyone by putting a 2.3 slaughter on the back, and taking delivery of a 2.6 slaughter tomorrow. Always surprised how good they are for a semi-slick.

bikesandboots

Glad I’ve found this thread. Waiting on a Bird Aether and tyre choice is the Maxxis range…

Same wait/choice for same bike, same crashes, here’s what I concluded:

DHF DHR – default/popular option
    DHR DHR – for a front with less of a vague zone and more grip when not aggressively leant over, good year-round combo
    ASS DHR – for more frontend grip but rolls slower
    *** DIS – for a faster-rolling rear that’s not so good for winter
    Rekons – more towards the XC end of trail

I went for DHR2 front and Dissector rear. If they work ok year-round then great I’m not pedaling anything heavier than I need to. If they struggle in winter then I buy a Shorty for the front and put the DHR2 on the back, or buy another DHR2 for the back. For winter delivery I was originally going for DHR2 both ends, but then decided on a Dissector rear as delivery will be in spring and also due to Covid will be doing more road link-ups.

luket

@rob13 I bought a bird (AM160) a year ago and faced a similar question. I chose 2.6 DHF up front and 2.6 Rekon rear. The Rekon was a poor choice for me. I think it’s more of an xc tyre and mine punctured for fun.

Having tried 2.6 Rekon, Aggressor then Dissector on the back I eventually concluded I got much better grip and puncture resistance from a 2.4 DHR. I couldn’t run these 2.6s at lower pressures on that bike and for me that negated the benefit.

At the same time I went from 2.6 DHF to a narrower Vee Flow Snap on the front, which was also night and day better for me. I think perhaps I just didn’t like the wider tyres on 30mm rims.

Overall, I’m another who likes DHR but I think width is very important. I’d be happy with it on the front too. In fact it might migrate there when my Schwalbe Rock Razor turns up for the back.

The 2.6 DHF and Dissector have since moved onto a hardtail with 35mm rims, where both are good, and I’ve run them at low pressures all winter.

pothead
    Free Member

currently running a 2.5 DHF Max Terra EXO front

The Maxxgrip exo is a better option in my experience, obvs won’t last as long and it’s not much fun on tarmac/fireroad climbs but it does hold a line better than the maxterra version. I use a 2.5 Shorty over the winter months, its a surprisingly good allrounder depending on the terrain. DHR2 rear all year round, dd casing

burner
    Free Member

*Tyres

chiefgrooveguru

“Waiting on a Bird Aether and tyre choice is the Maxxis range – DHF, DHR2, Assegai, Rekon and Dissector.”

Assegai looks a great all-year front tyre choice if you don’t tend to get sticky mud where you ride (or ride bloody fast in the mud) – I know it’s notably slow rolling but it’s much less of an issue on the front. DHF 2.5 or DHR2 2.4 are good choices up front for something quicker rolling and a bit less good in the loose/mud, I prefer the braking power of the DHR2.

DHR2 2.4 is great out back for gnarlier riding but the 2.3 rolls way faster (all the extra size appears to be in the knobs) and isn’t exactly short of grip so I prefer that on my 150mm (Bird) hardtail. Dissector 2.4 seems a great choice if it behaves quite like a DHR 2.3 but with more carcass volume.

Lots of good choices so I’d make the decision based on the compounds and carcasses available (I’m fine with Exo and inserts here but if I were buying now I’d get Exo+ for the rear, and I like MaxxTerra up front and Dual at the back but if you ride more wet rock you might want MaxxGrip front, MaxxTerra rear). Just bear in mind that Maxxis tyres change in more than just carcass volume when you get bigger widths – often the knobs get bigger and more widely spaced which makes a quite a difference to how they behave.

richmtb

Lots of good advice on this thread.

So I’m going to swap from DHF / DHR to DHR front and back.

2.4 Max Terra on the front 2.3 DC on the back.

I’ve also got a Minion SS for all 2 weeks of Scottish summer. I might pick up a Shorty for when the winter slop returns.

nickc

yep another who’s made that change, I use the WT version out front and a regular 2.3 at the back. Much more sure footed, agree essentially with Northwind, much more feedback and feel I can push it harder, which is weird as the side knobs are essentially the same. Braking traction way better though fo’shure. Any-one want a 27.5 DHF?

joebristol

On back tyres I stuck a 2.6 Forekaster on my Marino hardtail – never tried one before but it’s been ace so far. Running it on what should be too narrow a time (25mm internal) in exo flavour with a Rimpact in there to guard against pinch punctures as the tyre is quite light. It rolls pretty fast but has slogged through way more mud than I though it would hope with. On hardpack it can drift around a little bit like an aggressor when pushed hard. It’s staying on as my all year round tyre.

On the front I’ve run a 2.6” magic Mary apex soft in the mud but have recently swapped to a 2.4wt Dissector. It looks a lot smaller than the 2.4wt dhr2 on the back of my fs bike and especially small vs the Forekaster 2.6 and Magix Mary 2.6. Thinking maybe I should have got it in the 2.6” version.

That said the dissector is pretty fast rolling and so far on hardpack it grips pretty well. Not sure if I find it quite as confidence inspiring as the 2.5dhf I’d usually run though. Wondering if it might be more of a back tyre for me – but I also have a 2.6” slaughter to try on my fs at the back…so many choices!

breadcrumb

I spec’d the 2.5 DHF on my AM9, kinds wish I’d gone DHR2 now, that transition between the centre and outer knobs is very noticeable.

chiefgrooveguru

“feel I can push it harder, which is weird as the side knobs are essentially the same”

I remember this got mentioned when the DHR2 was launched but it seems to have been forgotten in recent years – the side knobs on a DHR2 are thicker than the side knobs on a DHF of the same size, so they distort less under heavy cornering loads. Put them side by side or even look at some photos and you’ll see the difference.

nickc

Ah, cheers Chief, didn’t realise they were different. makes sense though.

chakaping

So, how does the Assegai compare to the DHF?

Slower rolling but much more grippy and capable in a wider range of conditions.

Very impressed so far, but I do have the MaxxGrip version.

sparky
    Free Member

+1 for WTB Verdict, grip is unreal. They are draggy, but small price to pay for front end confidence.

chakaping

Interested to try the Verdict in the light/high grip combo.

I have the Verdict Wet in the tough/high grip format and it’s ridiculously grippy in wet conditions, but ridiculously draggy also.

filks

Magic Mary 2.6 soft

Northwind

chiefgrooveguru
    Free Member

I remember this got mentioned when the DHR2 was launched but it seems to have been forgotten in recent years – the side knobs on a DHR2 are thicker than the side knobs on a DHF of the same size, so they distort less under heavy cornering loads.

TBH there’s actually a load of wee variations even between different DHFs and DHR2s, which is why I said essentially the same rather than identical- I wouldn’t even be confident in saying which ones specifically have what variations over time, I’ve had different DHFs of apparently identical spec that have slightly different knob shapes. I’ve basically decided not to worry about it since I don’t think you can predict exactly what you’re going to get.

(there’s some little rolling revisions in the DHR2’s centre tread too, I think possibly from when they introduced the WT version, but I don’t know if they rolled that to every model or not)

danfay120
    Free Member

Recently got a bird am9, specced an asagai on the front and absolutely love it

tabletop2
    Free Member

don’t be afraid to mix brands! I’ve got a mary front and dhr2 rear all year round. Only in the very height of a dry summer do i feel like I might want something a little different (Scotland Enduro-ish)

belgianwaffle1

I have an assegai 2.5 on the front and rekon 2.6 on the rear. Bike still rolls pretty fast and the rekon is quite light so it offsets the weight of the assegai. Grip on the front feels super in loam and dry, maybe not so much in mud. Rear is not great in mud so hoping for dryer times.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘Assegai vs DHF vs ???’ is closed to new replies.