Home Forums Chat Forum As a kid, is a new bike the ultimate Christmas present?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • As a kid, is a new bike the ultimate Christmas present?
  • wrightyson
    Free Member

I’m starting to bubble with excitement, looked through the manuals for laddos new bike yesterday and checked out his new pedals. I just hope he’s happy with it, if he’s not I’m having it! I love new bikes and I’m a little bit jealous to be fair!

On the flipside I’m a bit worried dear daughter is going to be a bit underwhelmed with her driving lessons 🤣

footflaps

I always wanted a Raleigh Maverick, but at £250 (IIRC) in 1987, it was miles too expensive….

scotroutes

It wouldn’t have been for me. It surely depends on the individual child and their preferences?

franksinatra

I got my middle daughter a new bike for her birthday in October, I was properly excited. She was even more so. Made me feel fuzzy inside.

DezB
    Free Member

My parents used to wrap up my big brother’s bikes when he’d grown out of them. Being a nice, appreciative kid, I was always chuffed with them :-)

johndoh
    Free Member

We had ‘big Christmas’ every third year when we’d outgrown our existing bikes – the following two Christmasses were much more restrained’

I got (in order)

bikebouy
    Free Member

It wouldn’t have been for me. It surely depends on the individual child and their preferences?

Zackerly..

I did get one when I was 6, that allowed me to ride along to my sailing club to go sailing..

Yak

Yes, definitely.

I remember the excitement at my first bike – a chopper-like thing in turquoise. It went everywhere, off little jumps we built and got battered. When I was ready for my next bike – a bmx, my little sister was really excited as she wanted the old battered turquoise chopper-like bike. But my dad, thinking she would like a new bike, stripped the old bike down, got it powdercoated pink and put enough new parts on so it looked new. My sister was sort of happy on Christmas morning, but said she wished Santa hadn’t got her a new bike as she wanted my old one.

rene59
    Free Member

As a kid, is a new bike the ultimate Christmas present?

If granted the independence to get the best out of it then yes, for me it’s got to be up there right at the top of the list. But do kids these days even crave that type of freedom to get out there, miles away from home just exploring? I don’t know if it has the same appeal amongst all the modern competition.

wrightyson
    Free Member

But do kids these days even crave that type of freedom to get out there, miles away from home just exploring?

To be fair my lad at 13 has only really been granted that freedom over the last 18 months since he started riding to school, it’s transformed him as a cyclist. I felt that he was now capable and safe enough to ride near traffic, he doesn’t ride on the road though as I’m still not happy with that.

Any given opportunity he will be out hitting the local dirt jumps. I am however waiting for the moodyness when I suggest he might not be able to use his new bike for school….

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Depends on the kid/circumstances.

For me it was because

1. I already ached for a bike as I didn’t have one and other kids did and it looked fun.  I had a rusty ‘Triang’ kick scooter and couldn’t keep up (violins)

2. We were poor like church mice, ie 1970’s, strikes, literally jam butties every day etc

3. Surprise brand-new Raleigh Tomahawk was the best gift I’d ever had in my life. I was overcome with disbelief, let alone joy.  Don’t know how they (parents) managed it* but they did.

*jam butties obv

But do kids these days even crave that type of freedom to get out there, miles away from home just exploring? I don’t know if it has the same appeal amongst all the modern competition.

Good point.  A bike to me spelled freedom and going up the hill and over there.  I think maybe that now the internet/gaming is seen very much as the ultimate ‘freedom’.  Never saw that coming.  We’re near-all of us slaves to that new freedom and VR has barely kicked in yet.  Malvern junior’s first grown-up bike was well-received but sadly stolen shortly thereafter.  He disappeared into the internet shortly after that event, and replacement bikes soon lost all charm compared to mining pixels.

molgrips
    Free Member

That.

Also in our house kids get bikes when they need them rather than for birthday or Christmas, as they are deemed essentials like clothes and shoes :)

Drac

I always wanted a power kite.

maccruiskeen

maccruiskeen

2. We were poor like church mice, ie 1970’s, strikes, literally jam butties every day etc

You had jam? It was dirt when I was a lad. Dirt between two crumbling slices of asbestos. We cut them into triangles though because we had aspirations.

senorj

I was ecstatic when I got my Raleigh Burner. I wasn’t so keen on the frostbite after a couple of hours on Christmas morning. (They didn’t get me gloves!)

I’ve just built up little J’s . Very excited too.

maccruiskeen

I think now the internet/gaming is seen very much as the ultimate ‘freedom’.  Never saw that coming.

I actually think the reality is that parents daren’t let their kids out of their sight any more. Childhood seems to either screen based or being taken to ‘activities’ by your parents. I think parents tut at how much time their kids spend in front of a screen but theres not actually very much else they’d actually let their kids do on their own initiative.

Drac

I actually think the reality is that parents daren’t let their kids out of their sight any more.

That load of bollocks sorry, as is the myth that kids sit gaming all day on the internet. Kids have played outside and indoors for decades what they play with has changed.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

You had jam? It was dirt when I was a lad. Dirt between two crumbling slices of asbestos. We cut them into triangles though because we had aspirations.

‘Aspirations’ what are them when they’re at ‘ome?

Dint ‘ave time fer yer ‘aspirations’, or any other quad-syllabic nonsense ferthatmatter.   Jam and bikes not good enough feryer?

steve_b77
    Free Member

For my eldest yeah, but he’s mad keen, only wants to ride his bike, race his bike and play football sometimes, coupled with being outdoors as much as possible and when he’s not doing those he watches CX & MTB racing and BMX park stuff on youtube and RedBull TV.

The middle one on the other hand, likes riding his bike (hand me down from the eldest) but will be over the moon with the massive load of lego he’s getting, it doesn’t cost as much as the bike we’ve just got the eldest, but he doesn’t know or eve care.

funkmasterp

Now that is a sweet ride

scotroutes

Lego/Airfix/Scalextric for me. I had a bike but really didn’t care what it was as long as it worked. We never went off road though or ever raced each other down hills, because it was the 1960’s and we were waiting for a bunch of Americans to invent that.

the-muffin-man

In the 80s – then yes.

Now – probably the latest iPhone or XBox/Playstation.

ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

In north east Scotland a bike is a rubbish Christmas present, there are only a few hours of daylight, its freezing cold and driech so it generally gets left in the shed until spring.

In my house a massive lego set, Karaoke/dance game, jigsaw puzzle would be far more appreciated

A sledge could be the greatest or the most disappointing depending on the weather

kerley
    Free Member

That load of bollocks sorry, as is the myth that kids sit gaming all day on the internet. Kids have played outside and indoors for decades what they play with has changed.

I don’t think it is bollocks, as proven up there by not letting a 13 year out on the road and I hear a lot of similar stories from most people with kids.

I was riding on the road when I was 6 and would go for rides with mates at 10 onward to get to a BMX track which was 7 miles away.  That was pretty much the norm in the 70’s and it really isn’t now even if you prefer to think it is bollocks/a myth.  As long as I was back in time for tea all was good.

metcalt

It was for me and as an “adult” I’d feel the same if I came downstairs on Christmas Day to find a nice shiny new one under the tree.

I still remember the feeling of seeing my first full size mountain bike (Green Raleigh Max with 18 gears) after riding an old 20″ Raleigh Mustang for far too long. I’ve just done a google image search and seeing one on there brings back that feeling. I can’t remember feeling that excited about any bike I’ve ever bought since.

I think people are a bit more wise to proper bike sizing now (I was definitely too small for that Raleigh) and some kids bikes are a bit cheaper so people are buying bikes outside of Christmas and Birthdays, I reckon this will take the shine of that “big” present when it does coincide with them. We definitely saw a change in buying habits when I worked in a bike shop which lead us to have this same discussion as we’d all got ours on special occasions rather than any old Saturday during the year.

I hope that when I have children they see their first bike under the tree and feel even half the excitement I did, I’d much rather be putting bikes together on Christmas Eve than updating games consoles too!

molgrips
    Free Member

I hope that when I have children they see their first bike under the tree and feel even half the excitement I did, I’d much rather be putting bikes together on Christmas Eve than updating games consoles too!

Well our kids only ask for small stuff and their main excitement around Christmas is staying over at Nana and Gramps’ and eating the lovely food, so we are clearly far more middle class than you.

Cougar

Confession time: I never had a bike as a kid. I wasn’t allowed, my mum reckoned I was dangerous enough on foot. Ironically this meant I spent half of my childhood on a mate’s cast-off, an absolute deathtrap Raleigh Bomber whose only means of braking was to hook your foot over the rear tyre. I’d have killed for a bike of my own one Christmas.

The first bike I ever owned would have been in the early 90s when I was aged about 20, a Diamondback Outlook which I chose not least because I loved the colourscheme.

That survived (with minimal usage, granted) until I got back into riding about ten years ago. I replaced it with a 2009 (I think) Hardrock Pro, I later got a few quid for the DB from my LBS. The Hardrock lasted less than a year before some bastards stole it.

metcalt

Well our kids only ask for small stuff and their main excitement around Christmas is staying over at Nana and Gramps’ and eating the lovely food, so we are clearly far more middle class than you.

Not sure I actually understand your comment, what the **** has class go to do with anything and who actually gives a shit about it? I didn’t realise there was something wrong with remembering a feeling of elation at what I thought was an amazing gift and hoping my children can one day feel something like it when they get a bike of their own. I’ve always loved bikes and riding them (hence why I’m on a cycling forum) so getting a new bike was to me, as per the thread title, the ultimate Christmas gift and one I’ll never forget.

scotroutes

Not sure I actually understand your comment, what the **** has class go to do with anything

Calm down. Molgrips is actually taking the piss out of himself.

martinhutch

I got a Raleigh Arena for Christmas just like Johndoh. Fab!

However, unless your kid likes bikes, they are not going to see the upside of that vs an Xbox One.

AlexSimon

I think if their birthdays are in Spring/Summer then it makes more sense to get one then. Plus they’re pretty expensive once you get above balance bike territory!
    But then I live in the dreary wet North West.

My best ever Christmas present was a ZX Spectrum (jointly with my brother). I’m not sure we even got any games, just the included Breakout and whatever else.

footflaps

I don’t think it is bollocks, as proven up there by not letting a 13 year out on the road and I hear a lot of similar stories from most people with kids.

I am currently teaching my 13 yr old nephew to ride on roads. Way harder than I expected, mainly as roads are very busy, cars accelerate very quickly and no one indicates anymore. I have 40+ years sixth sense spotting who will turn left / right without indicating but for a novice it’s virtually impossible to read cars at a junction.

molgrips
    Free Member

Calm down. Molgrips is actually taking the piss out of himself.

Yes indeed I was, that was a reference to the Fast Show sketch where they try and outdo each other’s middle class credentials by talking increasing amounts of bollocks.

Apologies if it came across the wrong way!

Drac

Not letting kids ride bikes on busy roads is not the same claim as kids never play out.

paulneenan76
    Free Member

Still remember getting my Dawes Kickback, complete with frame bag.  Pink and white.  Loved it.  Even knowing I was getting it – cos I had to try for size – didnt lessen the elation!

But then I have always been like this at present time regardless of the gifts.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I’d have thought the ultimate Christmas present these days is an iPhone X & a Canada Goose coat.

metcalt

Yes indeed I was, that was a reference to the Fast Show sketch where they try and outdo each other’s middle class credentials by talking increasing amounts of bollocks.

Apologies if it came across the wrong way!

Ahhhh, I definitely didn’t understand your comment! I’ve only ever seen the “suits you” sketch from the Fast Show so that definitely went over my head.

Perceived it as something else so it rubbed me up the wrong way. My apologies too!

RustySpanner

The smell of new Grifter.

She had the smell of a brand-new bike. That’s just about the finest smell in the world, ‘cept maybe the time we got a new kitten.

Drac

cept maybe the time we got a new kitten.

Makes a change from Turkey I suppose.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘As a kid, is a new bike the ultimate Christmas present?’ is closed to new replies.