Viewing 40 posts - 1,841 through 1,880 (of 2,144 total)
  • Anyone ridden the Mojo Nicolai yet?
  • groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

For the spring weight maybe just give Marcel a call? I am sure they would be happy to advise?

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

Also – anyone run the G13 as a hybrid? Would that work? It’s probably been mentioned already…..

blakec
    Free Member

Contacted Geometron bikes and Paul replied saying I needed a 575lb spring so way off tf tuned recommended spring rate.

i would highly recomend any one going coil to chat with them before buying a spring.

bilbo
    Free Member

G13 as hybrid – interesting thought, I’m not aware it’s been tried…maybe BB would be too low..?

honourablegeorge

I think hybrid works on the G16 becasue you’re putting a 160mm fork & 29er wheel in place of a 180, fork with 27.5 wheel, so there’s no dramatic change in the stack or BB.  A 27.5 wheel on the back of a G13 is a significant BB drop, maybe too much in terms of pedal strikes..

bilbo
    Free Member

I’d agree although worth noting that G13 is designed as a 29er so has BB drop of -30mm based on 29″ wheels, G16 BB drop is -17mm as primarily designed around 27.5″ wheels. G16 obvs hugely versatile but you don’t get the full benefits of a 29er (not sure if you can adjust for BB drop using offset shock bushings etc..?), with G16 as hybrid you probably get best of both

blakec
    Free Member

Turns out nothings easy. Fox 600lbs spring turned up today. It’s about 13mm longer than the space of a 216×64 so doesn’t fit.

honourablegeorge

Annoying… I had that on an old Demo 7 years back… Fox had a custom shorter length for 600 and over.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Looking at the Pinion HT’s as a forever winter bike.  I’m mainly South Downs so wonder if the GLF geometry  would be suitable.  Also at 5’7 not sure on sizing.  Suspect I’d be a L in the Pinion AM (to achieve similar to my 2015 M Enduro) or a M in the GLF but that head angle makes me think it’ll be too lazy a front end……

any advice greatly appreciated (and yes I’ll try for a test ride if I can)

Rubber_Buccaneer

at 5’7 not sure on sizing.

I’m 5’8″ and have a small(long) Ion GPI (Geometron) and have never wanted the next size up.  I also have a Sick titanium Pinion hardtail in medium that is pretty similar dimensions to the small Ion.  I’d certainly suggest trying to get some sort of demo before going bigger, longer may well suit you but worth checking.

For reference I also ride mostly on the South Downs as that’s where I live and don’t find the geometry a hinderance (maybe the added weight is but I’m not bothered).  Steyning, QECP, Surrey Hills, etc it’s more likely an advantage and I have found steep seat tubes a climbing advantage too.

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

I’m sure its been covered in the thread but for those with raw frames how are you cleaning them / keeping them shiny? The pad that came with mine seems to dull the frame rather than shine it???

rockitman

In case anyone missed it, Singletrack did a Bike Check on my G18 https://singletrackworld.com/2018/10/bike-check-george-thompsons-geometron-g18-29er/

Have also converted the G19 to 29. First ride was last weekend, loved it!

sharkattack

I’m sure its been covered in the thread but for those with raw frames how are you cleaning them / keeping them shiny?

With great difficulty! The Scotchbrite that comes with the frame (I had to get some on eBay as mine was missing) is too rough to give a bright finish. It’s alright if you want uniform dullness after it’s gone a bit patchy.

I went to the effort of stripping mine down. I got some Autosol and some mop head drill bits and did this to mine…

It looked pretty cool when it was built but it’s impossible to keep it that shiny. It’s currently in bits again for a full service I’m thinking of doing it again then using clear lacquer to preserve it.

Have also converted the G19 to 29. First ride was last weekend, loved it!

I was wondering when the 29er DH bikes would show up after Jack Reading got his. Get some pictures and a review up! I don’t ‘need’ a DH bike but I’ve always had one in the past and I’d love a G19 with an EXT shock.

gibbonarms
    Free Member

There’s one of his G19 29er frames up for sale on pinkbike at the moment.

i bought his WC frame he raced at Fort William this year and even though it’s a 27.5, a 29er fits in the rear fine and clears on full bump with room to spare.

Pic here: https://www.pinkbike.com/photo/16489056/

bilbo
    Free Member

Interested in your idea of ‘trail riding’?! that G18 looks like it would be more at home on enduro stages, are you racing it?

Looks like the frame started life as a Mojo/G16 prototype – is that why it’s called G18? can’t see it on GeoMetron/Nicolai website

You could always try using offset shock bushings to lower the BB if needed

Anyway – nice build!

rockitman

@sharkattack Shock off for service at the minute, also needs a +2 degree headset as it’s a bit too slack (60.5 degrees) see below…

@gibbonarms
    I don’t think that’s Jack selling that one (though it is one of his frames). Just be aware that yes, the back wheel fits but the tyre hits the seat tube before bottom out so you also need the longer mutators (47mm rather than 41mm) (£160 from Nicolai) to make it work properly. These lengthen the chain stay which in turn slackens the Head Angle to 60.5 in Low Setting & drops the BB to 325mm but then there’s a circa 25mm boost by going to 29 so it ends up around 350mm. Need an Angleset as well to get the HA back to where it should be. Have ridden it once at 60.5 & it’s rideable but I think it needs to be steeper.

@bilbo
    So far I’ve used it on the local loop – 2 hours, peak district style ride; uplift at Innerleithen & the push up at Havok. So yeah, it’s main purpose is going down but it’s actually bloody good at going up short steep climbs. I’ve only had one issue so far & that was descending, think it was on a trail called “Date Night 2” at Inners. I was following a mate & he were hauling but I couldn’t get it round a couple of  tight switchbacks & ended up just bypassing them & going straight down which was a bit wild :). Not raced it yet but maybe next year.

It is a proto. Was developed by Chris for DH but don’t think it ever got any further than that. Have thought about offset bushings but think they would slacken the HA even further???

bilbo
    Free Member

@rokitman Yes I found the same when riding in Finale in Sept, trails are pretty tight with switchbacks etc and took a lot of concentration to manoeuvre the long wheelbase around tight corners. I guess that is the one drawback about having a bike which is stable at higher speeds is that its less comfortable in the tight stuff. Having said that we bumped into a guy riding a Starling Murmur (v similar geo to Geometron) who didn’t have any problems – said he just ‘flicked’ the back wheel around so maybe its a technique thing..?!

edd

needs a +2 degree headset as it’s a bit too slack (60.5 degrees)

Waits for the Geometron evangelists to come along and say that you should be putting it in at -2 deg. 😉 (I am a Geometron rider.)

3phase
    Free Member

Can anyone tell me if the flip chip on my G16 can used to adjust the geometry? Or should it only be used for fitting different length shocks?

honourablegeorge

It was originally for geometry, yeah – there’s a high and a low setting. I’ve never tried high.

Rubber_Buccaneer

On my Nicolai supplied G16 the flip chip is intended to adjust geometry NOT accomodate a different shock.  Details of the difference it makes can be found in Nicolai’s tech sheets.

Rubber_Buccaneer

and if your set up isn’t standard I’d carefully check the full range of travel following any change just to make sure there is tyre clearance etc

3phase
    Free Member

I would like to try the higher setting for less demanding terrain as pedal strikes on flattish pedally rooty local trails does get annoying.

On my 2017 g16 it just has the shock lengths listed on the flip chip no mention of high and low.

I have the longer 222mm shock and 170mm forks so 170 front and back.

I will deflate the rear shock and check for fowling but i doubt it as im running 27.5s

honourablegeorge

The longer shock will mean you can’t adjust geo, I believe –

julians
    Free Member

I will deflate the rear shock and check for fowling

Good idea, otherwise you could end up with a goosed frame

Chainline
    Free Member

Sorry not been about, been busy. COuld probably answer a few things but don’t know where to start. I think most ok though which is great!

chip is also designed in current version, works fine on old, to allow a longer shock if not using for geometry purposes 222 is an official swop in so no problems with 29 or 27.5 going to the longer travel.

rockitman

LOL. I think 58.5 might be a bit slack even for the most committed evangelist!

rockitman

Undoubtedly. I did one of those enduro-endo-corners at one point, I wish I could say it was intentional but it wasn’t 🙂

In the main I’m fine if I know it’s coming. The “Reddy McRedface” trail at Revolution has some super tight corners which threw me the first time but now I know they’re coming I can set up for them. It was the first time I’d ridden “Date Night 2” so…

jay71
    Free Member

Hi, I’m the proud new owner of a Mojo Nicolai GeoMetron, after riding a mates I just had to have one. I had a YT Capra CF Pro which was awesome but the GeoMetron is another level. I bought a ‘Longer’ frame in great condition on fleebay and swapped all the bits off my Capra to build the beast you see in the photos…Every ride just gets better and better as I grow to trust her more and more. My usual haunts are Cwmcarn, Pontypool and Bike Park Wales. Off up to BPW this Sunday for some practice before the mini enduro race in December which I have entered…no pressure 🙂

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

looking good @jay71 ! Tyre/Rim combo look chunky!

howdoo
    Free Member

Looks like the wheels are posh wtb carbon rims probably c31?

jay71
    Free Member

Your right ‘howdoo’ WTB C31 carbon rims on Hope pro 4 hubs, awesome wheelset!!! The Michelin tyres are the best Ive used! I used to a Maxxis Minion DHF/DHR man but the Michelin’s are so much more predictable in the turns and roll much quicker. This’ll be my 1st winter on them but so far so good…

ryzman
    Free Member

I’m booked in to.. ill keep an eye out for you.. few Geometron riders I know are racing.. will be an epic days racing..

jay71
    Free Member

Nice ‘ryzman’ 🙂 there’s a few of us entered on a mix of bikes, should be a good crack.  Awesome day riding up there today, again the bike just impresses me every ride!

Chainline
    Free Member

Got two mates looking for sensibly priced G13, 15 or 16 in really good nick. complete bike possible, frame + shock minimum.

Size Longer / M ideally from MY 2017 with lower ST. and Longest (tho Longer would be fine)

msg me if you know of anything. ta.

sharkattack

For anyone that still hasn’t ridden one yet, there’s a demo at Peebles this Thursday and Friday. (6th and 7th)

Might be worth a look if you’re in the Tweed valley and hundreds of miles away from Mojo HQ.

SirHC

Nicolai’s new modular Enduro bike comes with ‘Rado Dropouts’ and ‘MUTATOR Chainstays’

Very interesting, been looking at replacements for my Enduro. Will this now replace the G13/15/16/19?

honourablegeorge

It replaces the G15 and 16, I’d think – probably still space for a G13 underneath anf G19 above.

Dunno how the hell I’m going to pay for it

steveh

If anyone is Geometron curious I’ve just advertised my G16 for sale in the classifieds as I’ve bought a new one to try 29″ wheels. In Sheffield and get around quite a few places riding to meet up.

Chainline
    Free Member

It replaces the G13 too. The metric shock allows appropriate shortening so that the whole bike can be easily dropped to run 135mm-140mm particularly with the EXT. Obviously the forks allow this too, the MORC due, the Lyric and the Formula being offered by GeoMetron/Mojo Rising/Nicolai.

For exact details of what you may want speak to CP/Paul etc

Viewing 40 posts - 1,841 through 1,880 (of 2,144 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.