Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 2,144 total)
  • Anyone ridden the Mojo Nicolai yet?
  • Speeder

And ugly – in my head “the solution” doesn’t have all that carp on it. Bet it’s nice and quiet though.

thepodge
    Free Member

That’s interesting, it’s always been heavily advised not to bend belt drive back on itself

wrecker
    Free Member

Interesting that it’s clearly not standard geometry on that pinion bike. Note the “long” designation on the seat stay.

Reach values ??from 485 mm to 520 mm and a considerable steering angle of 63.5 ° minimal to make it an exceptionally powerful enduro bike.

Look’s like Nicolai are trialling the mojo geometry.

neilforrow

in my head “the solution” doesn’t have all that carp on it.

this +1.

and 36lb. K’nell’.

mudfish

Hi groundskeeper,
    Yeah, gor use in the woods I currently feel -est might be too much, although Pilot (on here and mtbr) has a custom thats not much away from longer and her’s 5’11 i think. -est is very long.

Chainline
    Free Member

Ok chaps…its not a prototype.Those pictures are from the official launch (At a Rock/Bike festival :wink:) prior to the main launch at Eurobike.

It will be available to order post Eurobike with either belt or chain drive, either is retrofittable to the other, as are box internals of 9, 12 or 18spd. That one is 12sp, which is 150g heavier than 9sp but closer ratio’s.

It is forward geometry utilising the geometry developed with Chris (and others but I think that bike will be offered in Chris Ps long/longer/longest designation.
    Of course you can go custom do what you want within reason…like a shorter seat tube springs to mind) 😀 over the last 18 months.

Allegedly, (since I haven’t ridden this one yet, not until next week, but from discussion with those that designed it and have been testing it for quite some time) The pinion application particularly suits the geometry, the weight distribution further enhances the cornering due to the technique used with this type of geometry, as anyone who has ridden or has one will attest, you don’t get over the front in corners in the same way as on a shorter, steeper bike, much like you don’t lean back on the steeps, its much more centrally weighted.

With the right parts (e.g. those on my current, but going to a new home, überlong (Longest equiv) Ion16 squeeze
    [/url]Untitled by Phil, on Flickr[/img]

e.g. carbon wheels, Vecnum dropper, carbon bars, lighter brakes, lighter discs, lighter grips, lighter stem.. ) it comes in at 15kg or 33lb.

I understand the tensioner design/setup is there to manage belt tension dynamically, the objective to reduce the resistance to the suspension action as far as possible e.g. to try and replicate as close as possible a chain/derailleur free suspension action for more sensitivity.

With regards to the heavy bit, it is. But in terms of manoeuvring the bike, the weight is in the right place and there is hardly any unsprung weight, the rear belt sprocket is very light, its also running a single speed hub for a dishless build, it has also got a huge gear range.

In terms of extra effort to just pedal it, this might surprise you, it did me!
    …for a 75kg man, pulling a 3000m climbing day (more than most of us are likely to do in a stint), at a steady 5mph for 2 hours solid on a mtb, in avg temps, with avg tyres, the difference in energy expended is 81Kcals.

As a bit of a weight weenie and experimentalist I was both inherently attracted to the advantages this bike offers and simultaneously horrified at a bike over 30lbs again…having said that, I think there are many, in fact I know there are having seen a ‘how much does your bike weigh’ thread on here that are utterly deluded about their bikes weight

Anyways ,I’ll report back after I’ve seen for myself…If I love it, great, if not, I’ll try not to convince myself I want it anyway and carry on with the tweaked custom version of mine….

thepodge
    Free Member

Just been looking at the Pinion site, 2200g for the 9 speed. That doesnt sound too bad.

brant
    Free Member

The Pinion offering lighter real wheel weight will be a significance of how that bike rides. It always amazes me how a singlespeed rear wheel rolls up and over square edges with less weight from lack of cassette and mech. So that should more than offset the more central mass. Same reason I’ve never liked internal geared hubs for mounts bike applications.

nickc

carbon wheels, Vecnum dropper, carbon bars, lighter brakes, lighter discs, lighter grips, lighter stem.. ) it comes in at 15kg or 33lb.

Where is the weight coming from then? Frame and gearbox?

Chainline
    Free Member

NickC. Yes. Less frame, more gearbox and ancillaries. Like was mentioned the Pinion box 9spd is 2200kg BUT They don’t mention that’s without crank arms, shifter, sprockets . So total drivetrain weight is about 3kg for the 12sp, That also has a built in bash guard under the box.
    Need to then add the tensioner, belt….

I think we can expect 800g or so heavier than an XX1/X01 setup which is about right based on comparing to mine.

Frame is close to normal Ion weight. Don’t forget also your looking at a frame that is 25mm longer than a typical XL.

Interesting observation on the SS Brant. That had not occurred to me.

As mentioned, I’m trying not to get hung up on how heavy it could be, more on how it rides and where that weight is. It will be different that’s for sure..

thepodge
    Free Member

The Effigear gets far less coverage than Pinion but for me seems much better as its lighter weight, has less gears and comes with a trigger shifter.

nickc

I can imagine that as long as you don’t mind the winch up, then the ride down is probably mentally fun. 😆

zero-cool
    Free Member

What’s the Vecnum seat post like?

Northwind

This seatpost is relevant to my interests. Oh and are you using their magic seat clamp or a normal one?

J273
    Free Member

@Chainline – What saddle are you using?

Ta

dirtyrider
    Free Member

As a bit of a weight weenie and experimentalist I was both inherently attracted to the advantages this bike offers and simultaneously horrified at a bike over 30lbs again…having said that, I think there are many, in fact I know there are having seen a ‘how much does your bike weigh’ thread on here that are utterly deluded about their bikes weight

you post that, then come out with this pearler

In terms of extra effort to just pedal it, this might surprise you, it did me!
    …for a 75kg man, pulling a 3000m climbing day (more than most of us are likely to do in a stint), at a steady 5mph for 2 hours solid on a mtb, in avg temps, with avg tyres, the difference in energy expended is 81Kcals.

can you show your working?

tooFATtoRIDE
    Free Member

Ok chaps…its not a prototype.Those pictures are from the official launch (At a Rock/Bike festival :wink:) prior to the main launch at Eurobike.

It will be available to order post Eurobike with either belt or chain drive, either is retrofittable to the other, as are box internals of 9, 12 or 18spd. That one is 12sp, which is 150g heavier than 9sp but closer ratio’s.

Awesome news! Let’s see the prices 🙂

Anyways ,I’ll report back after I’ve seen for myself…If I love it, great, if not, I’ll try not to convince myself I want it anyway and carry on with the tweaked custom version of mine….

Please do so! Rider’s feedback is always appreciated.

catvet
    Free Member

@ Chainline
    what is the distance between centre of bars to rear of your saddle on your funky forward geometry bike please?
    Thanks in advance

Paul-j

@ chain line

Any chance you could email me at no1jeff@hotmail.co.uk

Wouldn’t mind picking your brain about your bike/frame

Cheers

deviant
    Free Member

Chainline, i’m really liking that.

Much more in line with the kind of riding i enjoy….the long wheelbase makes sense on long travel slack angled bikes, i should imagine its awesomely stable at speed/descending…quite why the industry is obsessed with short chainstays is baffling to me?!….its mixed messages, “here have this long travel, slack angled Enduro/DH/Gnarpoon weapon that we’ve stuck the shortest possible stays on limiting your tyre choice and making it twitchy at speed just when you want maximum stability”….yeah nice one designers.

tooFATtoRIDE
    Free Member

I think these are the conditions where Pinion gearboxes are made for:

ahwiles
    Free Member

deviant – Member
    …quite why the industry is obsessed with short chainstays is baffling to me?!.

the industry is obsessed with whatever the buying public are obsessed with.

and we’re obsessed with silly-short chainstays.

scruff
    Free Member

Drop out belt keeper, idler pullies, external spring thing, looks like more bits to break, get worn out or filled with grinding paste.

tooFATtoRIDE
    Free Member

The bike is now officially on Nicolai’s website and the top version costs €7399 (Link)

I was not able to see frames alone there, perhaps only full bikes are available at this stage.

mudfish

Well, short post, but sweet, very sweet.
    Had a test with Chris Porter, Mr. Mojo at Forest Of Dean DH and trails and really liked the Mojo Nicolai Geometron [not the Pinion version]. I’ve ordered one, stealth black. Frame fork and Fox DOSS package.
    I call mine rootmaster, get it = long and stable, a thing of beauty like the old red London Routemaster bus, and the “root” part = confidence inspiring over rough ground.
    Confidence inspiring all round, actually. Amazing turning on the trail centre berms and flat corners. Fabulous on the mini DH tracks at FOD too.
    Very highly recommended. Turns great, pedals well, doesn’t feel too long or too slack at all but it does turn and track amazingly well which is what that long slack geometry’s all about.
    IMO Chris Porter has done an amazing job.
    chapeau

Chainline
    Free Member

I’ll try and get back to peeps on some of this stuff.

The answer to the seatpost is its great, faultless so far and easy totake apart. I’m using their clamp.

My saddle is a selle Italia SLR Kit Carbonio.

You can get a GPI frame only. Contact me if you want one and for a price.

Seatpost is for sale due to it not fitting in my new bike…need to order a shorter one ;-( but min 4 month wait….and when I ordered mine it turned into a year wait!

gaz552
    Free Member

Does this frame have a hole to let you use a stealth dropper post?

@mudfish How long are you having to wait until you get your frame?

mudfish

Hi gaz552

Yes, it has a hole for a stealth dropper and comes with a neat little plug it it’s not being used.

I got my frame 3 days after ordering it, Mojo has invested in stock. Every time I ride it I love it more, amazing how good it is on nadgery singletrack. Well pleased.

Speak to Chris Porter at Mojo, he loves to talk about this project. Tell him Neil B sent you 😉

plecostomus
    Free Member

I have one! Don’t post here often more of a lurker!
    Have a float x on mine at the moment as there no stock of x2 shocks for three weeks best bike I’ve ever ridden. And I’ve ridden lots of bikes (and work in the trade so get access to lots) the bike climbs incredibly well and goes downhill like no other bike. I find I have to slow the bike down more into turns as it exits corners so quickly. Seems to carve corners far better and hold its speed a lot easier than a shorter wheelbase bike the biggest wheel base bike I’ve had was 49″ the geometron has 51″.

I’m 6’1″ and ride the longest one. It makes my previous bike a new style xl nomad look tiny and the nomad rides terribly if you were to ride it back to back. Most over hyped bike I’ve had if you ask me ( the nomad) I’m in north wales if anybody wants a pedal on it!

deviant
    Free Member

[/quote]It makes my previous bike a new style xl nomad look tiny and the nomad rides terribly if you were to ride it back to back. Most over hyped bike I’ve had if you ask me ( the nomad)

Careful now, several STW big hitters have invested several thousands of their hard earned on a Nomad and never tire of telling the forum how good they are….to hear that it’s not in fact the best bike in the world may make their heads explode.

I predict a sudden influx of Nomads onto the second hand market and a coincidental rise in orders for Chris Porter’s Geometron!

plecostomus
    Free Member

Hahaha ^^^

jimjam
    Free Member
    sharkattack

I saw this bike at the concept stage and didn’t realise it was available for purchase until I found this thread yesterday. Last night I read everything I could find about it.

Then, that pops up on Pinkbike first thing this morning. A positive but disappointingly brief review. The comments are sure to be amusing.

But…I’m into it. I was just saying yesterday while riding my 26″ steel hardtail, that I’m not looking for a new bike because there’s nothing else I want. Nothing at all that I like the look, or the idea of.

Now this bloody thing has got my brain ticking.

I fancy some of this on my XC rides,

wwaswas

Never mind all the geometry and frame wondefulness, wtf is going on with that saddle!

jimjam
    Free Member

wwaswas

wtf is going on with that saddle!

That’s close to how I run mine. Slammed right forward on the rails, with a slight downward tilt. Puts you above/in front of the bb so easier to put the power down. It also helps keep weight over the front on steeper climbs and gives support. When I’m pedaling it’s not there anymore so it becomes irrelevant.

chestrockwell

Doesn’t having the saddle that far forward suggest the bike’s too big for the rider? Does this in turn suggest that the longer, longer, longer trend has reached it’s pinnacle?

dirtyrider
    Free Member

means the geometry is wrong 😆

sharkattack

Does this in turn suggest that the longer, longer, longer trend has reached it’s pinnacle?

No, that was HERE

gaz552
    Free Member

That pinkbike review seems to echo what people on here have said, it requires a different technique but it works very well.

joefm

I’m 6’1″ and ride the longest one. It makes my previous bike a new style xl nomad look tiny and the nomad rides terribly if you were to ride it back to back. Most over hyped bike I’ve had if you ask me ( the nomad) I’m in north wales if anybody wants a pedal on it!

Is that you chris porter?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 2,144 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.