Viewing 40 posts - 1,881 through 1,920 (of 2,144 total)
  • Anyone ridden the Mojo Nicolai yet?
  • Chainline
    Free Member

For clarity with the EXT its 140mm at the rear.

sharkattack

Sorry, but I’m just here to post a picture of my bike!

I actually stripped the bike for a full service at the end of August when we got back from France. Then some unexpected er, ‘lifestyle adjustments’ took place. Nothing disastrous by my standards but we could have done without it.

So many months later I’m back in action with silky suspension, new bearings, a colour change and some DIY graphics. Cycles in Motion in Sheffield did an absolutely mint job on the powder coating.

Just thought I’d show it off before it gets filthy.

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

@sharkattack – that looks good!

For G16 as a 29er what is the preferred fork offset? 42/44mm?

Chainline
    Free Member

42 or 44 equally as good, very little difference. Workable at 51 but very quick steering particularly at low speed that is very slightly at odds with wider handling neutrality but you do get used to it quite quickly, this is as a result further slackening the HA to deliver the right BB with the 29er on a G16 without SS (or CS in Germany where they are called compression stays) mutators, resulting in a higher flop factor.

ganic
    Free Member

I found changing to a 44mm from a 51mm made a significant difference. With a 35m stem and 800mm bars, the 51mm offset made the steering too light, especially at slower speeds. The move to 44mm made the steering more stable and less prone to flopping at the slightest knock on the trail. I wouldn’t go back to 51mm.

Incidentally, I have my G16 set up as a 29er with a 216x64mm shock in the ‘high’ position and the BB is 346mm running a 2.5 Minion and a 2.4 DHR 2. I’m not sure if want it much lower as with 30% sag it feels low enough without too many pedal strikes.

wrecker
    Free Member

Chainline, I don’t suppose you know if I can get 29 wheels on a 2017 Argon GLF? I know it’ll take 650B+ so wondered what will fit in the rear, and if the BB height would still be acceptable?

Rik
    Free Member

Thoughts about a playful slack short travel 29er got me thinking of an adapted G13, i love the idea of a Saturn 11 with a -2 slackset for 110mm of travel but the Saturn has crap rear tyre clearance.

So the G13 takes a 190x50mm shock, do you think a 184x44mm would fit with opposing offset bushes to shorten the shock space. If it fits???

You’d end up with a lower (you could still play with the flipchip) slacker 112mm rear travel matched with 130mm front.

Rik
    Free Member

In addition to the post above…..

Anybody know if you can fit a non-boost chainset with a 32t chainring to a G13 which is 148×12 boost rear end? I know most bike you can get away with it but be good to know for sure

singlespeedstu

Rik
    I have a non boost xt with 30t oval on my 13 and there’s plenty of room.
    I was told they’re actually designed for a non boost crank to give a better chain line.

lawman91

A slightly longer travel Saturn with more clearance would be towards the top of my wishlist for a new bike. I liked the G13 when I sized down (i know, I know, that’s not the point!) from a longest to a longer on a demo day, just didn’t like the lack of water bottle bosses. Otherwise I loved it, fast, stable yet agile and pedalled well too. Basically a Saturn shaped G13 please!

Rik
    Free Member

Lawman – do you have boost or normal cranks on your G13?

Rik
    Free Member

Found this (translated) on the Mtb-news.de Nicolai forum from Kalle Nicolai himself:

‘if it should be easier and playful, please keep an eye on our Saturn model range ….. maybe this family of framing will expand soon …. ‘

Looks like a more trail orientated Saturn might be on the way to replace the G13 maybe

lawman91

Lawman – do you have boost or normal cranks on your G13?

Don’t own one sadly, just borrowed one on demo for an hour or so, so can’t help on the crank question I’m afraid 🙁

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

@Rik any reason you want to go down to 110/112mm travel? The G13 at 130mm is not a million miles away and has the head angle right about where you’d end up with the -2* Angleset in the Saturn?

Rik
    Free Member

These days I just like a taught progressive rear suspension, more as damage limitation rather than plush.

And I already have a very nice factory DPX2 in 184×44 ready to go.

Got an Ti spring CCDB from an old Orange Five build that I never sold if I wanted to have more travel on occasion

Rik
    Free Member

Cheers Stu – do you think a 32t would fit?

Bump just to see if any of the regular contributors are back off holiday for any help or thoughts on my posts above

singlespeedstu

With ease.

Rik
    Free Member

Spot on Stu. Boost rear with normal 49mm non boost chain line works so much better

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

g19 dh frame run with 29er wheels as an enduro bike ? possible?

ta!

honourablegeorge

Bike-componennts.de have G13 and Saturn soecial edition frames on sale.

comodiver
    Free Member

Hi everyone,any idea about wich spring is better for my G16 with a DHX2 222X70?
    I’m 75kg full dressed.

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

No idea @comodiver but if you give the guys a call or an email I’m sure they’d advise?

jimplops

Well saw a guy at Daresbury Firs on one for the first time in the metal, cracking bit of kit 👍👍

SirHC

Demo booked at Eastridge with Trail Head. G1 29, G1 27 (have requested the 29, but with just a wheel swap) and a Megatower. Has to be faster/more fun than the Enduro for me to change!

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

When are you doing the demo @Sir HC? Would be interesting to hear the comparison with the Megatower…

SirHC

Eastridge:

DEMO DAY | EASTRIDGE WOODS | 13th APRILCUBE | Santa Cruz | Whyte | Orange | Geometron | EXT Book now by calling…

Posted by The Trailhead Bicycle Company on Thursday, March 14, 2019

Will be taking my Enduro as well as the benchmark.

mudfish

Hi Mojo/ Geometron G16 fans,
    hope its OK to post an early enquiry here – just putting a toe in the water
    Nice day for it
    this seemed like the ideal place to mention that I am hoping I’ll be upgrading to a G1 Xlongest soon, so selling my lovely Mojo Geometron G16 Longest in ano black.
    Slightly longer swingarm / chainstay and longer shock [X2 with optional lockout] gives 175 rear travel. Non boost.
    It’s mint, only done about 100 hours from new due to illness and injuries.
    Yeah, thanks, I’m OK now ;~}
    pic here
    It could be just a frame with Fox Transfer Post [with the Fox Float X2], or optionally frame+shock, Fox Post, suitable fork and wheels
    (650B Mavic XL wheels and almost unused BOS Idylle SC fork.)
    Anyone interested, please send me a PM.
    don’t reply here please, I might miss it, e-mail me on flatpedalthunder(attt)gmail(ddoottt)com

mudfish

Hi som one asked about size, can’t see the post now- at 6’2″ (35″inside leg) I ride longest and am now considering XLongest

SirHC

Demo Day at eastridge was interesting yesterday.

Firstly the Megatower, what an underwhelming bike, CC with carbon wheels, 36 grip 2 fork. Felt like a long legged trail bike than a big travel Enduro bike. Bike was harsh and such that there was far too much feedback through the bars and pedals, couldn’t push the bike. It skipped all over the place and had to fight it to keep it on line, or somewhere near!

Now onto the geometrons. Rode a G1 27 first off before the Megatower, first trail had to adjust to how it wanted to corner, after that it just wants you to get off the brakes and throw it in. Rear tyre was dead so tricky to get it slowed down at times. Bike was a bit rattly, needed the clutch sorting on the mech and some 2224 tape on the back end. I hate noisy bikes!

After the underwhelming Megatower, was onto the g1 27. Fresh set of boots on this one! Also went a bit softer on the rear spring and and was on the formula fork (was riding the one in the milner video). Fork took a little getting used to, been on a Lyrik since Christmas, which is more sensitive (g1 27 was on a Lyrik). Felt more comfortable the second time round on the G1, even with a wheel size change. Can really lean on the front, more notable when it gets steep, you can still drive the front end without the fear of going over the bars.

Managed to snag a ride on a g1 27 at the end of the day when Mojo/Santa Cruz were going for a quick run round some of the trails at eastridge. Extra mileage helped to really learn the bike and the way it wanted to be ridden, good to be back on the Lyrik again. Rear tyre wasn’t a problem this time as I knew I’d need to scrub speed a little earlier.
    Rode some tight, steep switchback turns, bike had no issue turning, its super stable, yet still wants to change direction.

When it comes to replacing the enduro at the end of the year, G1 is currently the only one on the list. Last enduro was eating bearings on a regular basis, see how the replacement goes!

sharkattack

Rode a G1 27 first off

After the underwhelming Megatower, was onto the g1 27

Managed to snag a ride on a g1 27

So which one was the wheel size change?

needed the clutch sorting on the mech

Did you mention this to Chris Porter? Clutch mechs ruin your rear suspension, remember. But you’re right, if I leave the clutch off on mine it makes a racket, and with it on I can’t feel any difference.

SirHC

G1 27, then Megatower, then g1 29, then longer Rider on g1 27

For me a quiet bike is a fast bike, well aware of Chris’s hate of clutch mechs! Hence this one not doing a lot !

mrmoofo

Having run through this thread – and posted a short one about being geometron curious, I have a couple of questions: I am looking at a G16
    1) will this be over biked for the South Downs?
    2) currently have FlareMax – will it make this redundant – or will the FM still be best for general trail riding.?
    3) How rear shock specific are they? the storia is somewhat expensive – is it critical?
    4) Can it be run at 160 mm front, or is that just a waste?

Would I be more sensible just to buy the new Cotic rocket ?

Rubber_Buccaneer

As the owner of a 2016 Ion GPI (essentially a first generation Geometron with a gearbox) who lives on the South Downs my opinion is

1. Yes. Does it matter?  I happily ride mine on the South Downs and Surrey Hills along with anywhere else.  Lakes, BPW, Moab, wherever.  If it were my only bike I’d maybe feel it was a bit much but I have a hard tail I ride more often locally

2. Maybe, you may find one doesn’t get ridden much.  Question is which?

3. Not specific at all.  Mine started with a DBInline Air but I changed to an X2 due to reliability not performance.  All the time Chris Porter was importing Fox they’d have been trying to sell you an X2

4. I’m sure it can.  Get a fork that is simple to change travel on and you can try various travel options

I can’t help you with opinions about sensible, I just get what I fancy.  I really like the Geometron though

velocipede
    Free Member

In the interests of transparency, this is a stealth ad….

I’m selling my 26″ wheeled Helius CC with Rohloff hub….beautiful thing and I suppose highly retro and very different to the new stuff…..but it rides beautifully…..I’m only selling as I broke my back a few weeks ago and I’m having a clearout to justify a new “toy” as part of my recovery!!

Might sit very nicely alongside someone’s more modern Mojo/Geometron/etc……

Rubber_Buccaneer

^That just shows how much of an impact Nicolai’s collaboration with Mojo had on their geometry.

velocipede
    Free Member

True – it’s a different kettle of fish entirely – but still a nice kettle of fish!

Rubber_Buccaneer

Indeed, and the Rohloff is worth a fair chunk of cash

mrmoofo

As the owner of a 2016 Ion GPI (essentially a first generation Geometron with a gearbox) who lives on the South Downs my opinion is

1. Yes. Does it matter? I happily ride mine on the South Downs and Surrey Hills along with anywhere else. Lakes, BPW, Moab, wherever. If it were my only bike I’d maybe feel it was a bit much but I have a hard tail I ride more often locally

2. Maybe, you may find one doesn’t get ridden much. Question is which?

3. Not specific at all. Mine started with a DBInline Air but I changed to an X2 due to reliability not performance. All the time Chris Porter was importing Fox they’d have been trying to sell you an X2

4. I’m sure it can. Get a fork that is simple to change travel on and you can try various travel options

I can’t help you with opinions about sensible, I just get what I fancy. I really like the Geometron though

Last question …
    I am 59 years old and 11 months. Is it young mans bike? Will people point and laugh?

Rubber_Buccaneer

Will people point and laugh?

I’m 51 and too old to care what anyone thinks. If I were proper old like you I’d care even less😀

Ideally I’d suggest getting a demo as soon as we are given the freedom to do so.  Have a day out test riding in FoD and try to make a level headed decision

tall_martin

Who cares if someone is laughing about your bike?

If you like it, ride it😀

My hardtail rarely attracts positive comments on its looks, but it rides brilliantly for me. My g13 has attracted noting but positive comments and curiosity in real life:)

Viewing 40 posts - 1,881 through 1,920 (of 2,144 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.