Viewing 40 posts - 1,081 through 1,120 (of 2,144 total)
  • Anyone ridden the Mojo Nicolai yet?
  • Chainline
    Free Member

CP is happy with the Chainline I know.

scottarizona
    Free Member

I took the G16 on what I call an adventure ride yesterday. The trail is not a normal mountain bike trail, but a torn up Jeep trail. I finally put the 42T to good use. It has many steep and rocky sections which I had to hike-a-bike to get up them. The downhill sections were a lot of fun on the G16.

It was only four miles to the Chiva Falls, but the grueling ride is rewarded with a magnificent view at the end.

chiefgrooveguru

I love rides where you actually go exploring and cover gnarly terrain – that looks great! Do you manually drop your saddle for the descents?

scottarizona
    Free Member

Chiva Falls is 75 feet high.

scottarizona
    Free Member

Here is a video showing what the trail looks like (not me).
    There are a few smooth sections. Too few!

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCTCqQIaFsg[/video]

scottarizona
    Free Member

Do you manually drop your saddle for the descents?

I do not lower the saddle unless I am at a bike park.
    On “normal” trails it does not get in my way.

With the G16 geometry, I feel it is not necessary to get your weight far back like the old geometry bikes.

davosaurusrex

Had a go on Gotama’s G13 yesterday, here’s my thoughts;- it’s too much bike for me. The conditions were absolutely filthy which made it harder to get good feedback but nevertheless what I found was that you need to be fully committed to muscling the front end to get it to work, on the few occasions I did it felt really good but I’m just not aggressive enough a rider for the majority of the time for it to be an only bike. Additionally it is not light and felt glued to the ground, you couldn’t describe it as poppy. As my local riding is South Downs I know I’d get pissed off with it pretty quickly.

This of course isn’t to say it’s a bad bike, far from it. Steve (Gotama) is clearly a more aggressive rider than me, I watched him send it off a drop into a sketchy, soaking wet landing and then disappear around the corner sideways, that’s how it needs to be ridden. He also had no problem keeping ahead down the flatter trails when we swapped back at the end. I have decided I don’t like him all that much.

The angles for pedaling really work well, when climbing there is less pressure on your lower back and your glutes are more engaged. Steve loves his and I can see why, if I got to Wales a bit more and was a better rider it would be awesome but as it is I would say try before you buy, they’re not for everyone.

So now I’m back to square one, my Stumpy evo felt a bit short and steep after the G13 (although I still felt far more comfortable riding it. Steve felt it was short and steep too but also learnt me riding it. Told you he’s a ****). So now looking at 2017 Trek Fuels again, could put an offset bushing on the Stumpy though, what to do, what to do………….

Gotama
    Free Member

Ha ha, thanks for the ego points Dave! Conditions were filthy but it was great fun riding yesterday and the beer certainly went down well in the evening.

davosaurusrex

Yeah, whatever. I’m not talking to you.

Was good fun even though I wasn’t feeling it. Will defo shout you next time, thanks again for the demo and showing us round.

Chainline
    Free Member

Interesting perspective. I had my first proper all day ride on my G13 yesterday,back to backing at BPW with my G16. Weather was horrific. Bike was fun, Very interesting to compare it side by side with my radical G16 setup. I ran it stock to get a feel for what I might want to change.

I won’t go into great detail here but I know exactly what you mean by having to muscle it (I think muscle might be a strong word but I totally get what you mean) , in my opinion that’s for two reasons, 1. Its not slack enough as std and 2. the BB height may be a little low unless you are an aggressive rider. It feels just like my old Ion15 and how I expected it to. For clarity this is FOR ME and HOW I RIDE. Jonesy, much like it sounds Gotama, shows it who’s boss naturally :mrgreen:

I found my 27.5 G16, which has a 61HA was much more nimble at speed with far less effort to change direction.

In a nutshell davosaurusrex, I suggest you try a 27.5 G16 with a light build, possibly with the 29 front wheel before righting it off and the same bike with 29 wheels which is easily possible on the new Mojo bike (You’d need the 29 fork fitted to do both on the same day)
    I’d also suggest trying a Longest not an XL given your feedback which is the size most people of your height ran initially and many still do.

You could even try a Longer/M which could feel like a BMX (Although still likely longer than your stumpy with more reach but a lot closer to it in physical dimension but with the slacker HA and steeper SA giving you the climbing, carving and increased steering response), that with a light 29 wheelset, a DPS shock (or float X) a set of 34’s would come in 30lbs or under all up and feel quite different I am positive.

There is so much value in the setup day beyond if you buy a bike in understanding what works for you, what you do like what you don’t etc.

rollsroyce
    Free Member

@ davosaurusrex Quite surprised you thought that the G13 was glued to the ground! compared to my Carbine 29 the G13 is super lively, it loves sending and jumping the smallest features! Wondering if the shock had too low pressure, too high rebound for you?

@chainline Any tips on how to swap it between the low and high geo positions? Mines in low at the moment and was wanting to try it in the high setting. Had a quick look the other day but couldn’t seem to get the chips out of the seat stays to swap them round. Must say, totally loving the bike otherwise!

Cheers!

Rubber_Buccaneer

I’d agree with davosaurusrex about

it is not light and felt glued to the ground

from my experience with a 27.5 version. But being glued to the ground is usually a good thing for a suspension set up. I blame MBR for introducing a desire for this ‘poppy’ BS 🙂

davosaurusrex

It’s a good thing if you’re focused on going flat out all the time, less so if you want to **** about a bit. IMO

The conditions were filthy and we were riding a lot of trails I didn’t know though so it wasn’t the best test

Rubber_Buccaneer

And i think your opinion is spot on. It’s a very long slack angled bike with a certain ‘solidity’ 🙂 to it’s build. They hug the ground which isn’t what everyone wants

Chainline
    Free Member

I rode the G13 again at the weekend. I thought it was poppy as f*&k. and still not slack enough to really actuate the steering 😉 very neutral though ann great fun on the local trail.
    I’ve put an angleset in it now for next time.

scottarizona
    Free Member

I went riding this past weekend on the famous red rock trails of Sedona, Arizona. The more I ride this bike, the more I like it, and the more I find the limits of my fitness and endurance. Good times.

duir
    Free Member

How poppy or glued the Geometron feels is entirely down to build and setup. Different tyres, wheels, suspension, a few clicks of compression here a few psi there and it feels totally different. I think that’s the whole point of a Mojo demo day so they can see what you are looking for and set it up accordingly. Two different Geometron setups could feel like two entirely different bikes.

Now we have the G13 wagon wheeler can we also have a 140mm front and rear 27.5 version? 😀

bedmaker

Now we have the G13 wagon wheeler can we also have a 140mm front and rear 27.5 version?

Best make that 27.5+. May as well go 157/83 whilst at it.

Chainline
    Free Member

duir, yo ualready can with the 2017 Mojo version.Just configure the fork and rear shock to be more progressive and limit the travel. Why would you want less travel for the same weight? I’d just reconfigure the travel. Current version is 155mm at the rear so no sweat to do that. It will already run 29 wheels front or rear.

bedmaker, Very very unlikely you will see an official 27.5+ version. the wheels might fit. 157 currently very limiting in hub choices. It’s already 83mm BB.

webbe
    Free Member

Hi guys, apologies if this has ever been covered before, but the thread is getting pretty long now!

Looking to replace the rear axle on my G16 (have rounded the hex bolt) – would like something qr/tool free if possible. Would I be correct to assume a Rockshox Maxle 12×142 should work fine?

Have any of you guys ever changed this, and if so, any recommendations?

Cheers

Rubber_Buccaneer

You could ask Nicolai. I had assumed a maxle would be a straight swap with the Nicolai axle but have never tried it, I can take a look tonight if you haven’t had an answer by then

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Yes, Maxle is a straight swap. I’ve used both and I’m not convinced the Maxle is better. How did you manage to round it off? It doesn’t need to be super tight.

Chainline
    Free Member

it takes a 6mm allen key as well as the hex.

bilbo
    Free Member

hi all, been keeping an eye on this thread for a little while and Nicolai is currently top of my list for my next bike (probably not laying out the cash for another year or so but half the fun is the research anyway :wink:)

Of course there’s the usual suspects Whyte, Orange, Cotic, Santa Cruz but there’s something special about Nicolai

My first thought was to go the Helius AC but now the G16 has caught my eye so re the 27.5″/140mm comment – as this would be more for trail rather than enduro use couldn’t it be engineered to be lighter? The G13 looks to be lighter than the G16 by 100g

Really enjoying the thread

Chainline
    Free Member

yeah you could engineer a 140 version no problem and control the weight a little, the lower A2C would enable you to use a smaller DT which is the normal location that Nicolai save some weight. The other tubes are broadly similar. Also if the rider is not so heavy.
    I’m happy to save the weight somewhere else so not normally on my radar!

duir
    Free Member

duir, yo ualready can with the 2017 Mojo version.Just configure the fork and rear shock to be more progressive and limit the travel. Why would you want less travel for the same weight? I’d just reconfigure the travel.

What I mean is an entirely different model basically a Geometron Trail bike based on 140mm front and rear. It would not have to be as robust as the Geometron without all the bracing and with light forks/shock it would be a rocket ship.

It’s just an idea I have and pure folly but a very interesting experiment and after all that’s what the Geometron started out as!

bilbo
    Free Member

The ‘G-‘ range currently has the G13 (x-country), the G16 (enduro), and the G19 (downhill) so the obvious gap is a 27.5″/140mm trail bike

Sorry if this over simplifies things; I know I shouldn’t get too hung up on pigeon holing certain bikes into disciplines. However 155m rear travel seems excessive for my riding – I only get to a trail centre every 3-4 months so mostly local stuff

Chainline
    Free Member

bilbo, thats an easy custom solve for £500. I don’t think Chris would pigeon hole the G16 into enduro. Nicolai might.
    My 40’s could be deemed excessive for my riding but I just think they are bloody good! My GeoMetron at 155mm felt very lively when set up progressive.

The kids/smaller person bike that will be launched will be built light at 160mm/155mm with 34s and a non piggy back, light wheels etc. and is expected to be around 28lbs.

Could appeal to riders looking for a long reach but shorter overall super playful trail bike. All the attributes of a GeoMetron in terms of WB and HA/SA but in a shorter frame package similar to other brands M. Like a bonkers FS bmx, add in a 200mm dropper and woohoo..

bilbo
    Free Member

What does the £500 cover? custom shock tune? or geometry/swingarm changes?

Plan would be to build it up similar to a Helius with Pikes/Fox 34’s etc although clearly front/rear balance is key

FS BMX sounds insane – is that more a slopestyle thing?

Obvs the thing to do is get a test ride when the time is right, not quite at that stage yet though

One final comment while I’m on – It must be covered elsewhere on the thread but how does Nicolai Ion G16 differ from Mojo G16 (GeoMetron)? Are they the same? is it just that Mojo will do the suspension tuning service etc

Chainline
    Free Member

£500 is full custom geometry, IF from Mojo the shock tune is in anyway if you buy their suspension. You basically get to choose geo. You could just say I want a GeoMetron but designed for 140mm both ends.

My reference to FS BMX was more how the bike might feel, super small standover.

Mojo G16 has a different BB, different bearing spacing at the pivot, correspondingly different tyre clearance, different head angle.

bilbo
    Free Member

ok thanks Chainline, endless possibilities…

getonyourbike
    Free Member

Hi Chainline

I’m just being upfront here and saying that I won’t be buying a Geometron but if you’re still happy to have a geometry discussion along similar lines, then that would be great. 🙂

I’m currently on a custom built Starling Cycles Murmur. It’s a 160mm front, 145mm rear steel 29er. Geometry is currently at 1295mm wheelbase, 510mm reach, 64.5 degree HA, 445mm chainstays and -38mm BB height as the important ones. Chris himself did the suspension setup on the 36 and X2, so it’s feeling pretty good (not a fan of the very slow LSR though) but I’m keen to push forward geometry-wise.

I’m getting a new front triangle made and am unsure how slack to go on it… Have you found a head angle that works best with the big wheels?

In the future, I will also be getting a longer rear centre, but am unsure whether to go for 455 or 460mm chainstays in order to balance the long, and soon to be longer front centre.

Sorry for pulling the discussion away from Nicolai and completely understand if you don’t want to respond. Cheers, Pete

honourablegeorge

I’d love to see a pic of that Murmur, sounds ace

getonyourbike
    Free Member

My ugly mug is in the first but it’s the only one I’ve got on level ground.

Minus rim and plus suspension decals. I’ve since sacked off the Fabric cageless bottle for a normal bottle cage and got a multi tool stowed with a releasable cable tie at the BB/ down tube junction:

honourablegeorge

Cool. Curious as to why you’re going for a new front triangle? Wouldn’t an angled headset be an easier way to tweak it?

getonyourbike
    Free Member

It’s so that I can stretch out the reach a bit further at the same time as the head angle (can’t get a headset to do both at the same time) and also increase the head tube length to get rid of the spacer stack. I’m also very lucky to be in the position where this won’t cost be hugely.

honourablegeorge

Ah.. last point is the one where it all makes sense. How much longer will you go?

61 is about where Chainline (Phil) seems to end up… not sure if 29er wheels make a difference.

Chainline
    Free Member

As someone who communicates regularly with Joe at the moment happy to help…if I can.

Can I as what the ETT and ST angle is so I can understand the reach/rear length in context?

At the front you should have no fear around the 62-62.5deg mark.

I am at 61deg this is true, as is Chris,but his is 29 front only, not both ends. I would also add tho that the steering gets fast at that point (which is part of the point, but with a 51mm offset 29er fork potentially too quick on initiation, especially with 27.5 wheels. (I’d like a 44mm offset 40 but only way to do that is machine new crowns) however I’m used to it now and don’t want to give up the 40’s!

So if you do go to 62.5 or lower perhaps arrange to try a 44mm offset CSU (uppers). Ask Chris about the mod to increase neg chamber size at the same time. He may not suggest it as he has balanced the Murmur setup but worth asking.

You may not need to go as far as 460mm CS if the SA is right and you deliver the reach that way, 450mm should be fine, 455mm more than fine.

-38mm bb drop? My personal view (and it’s just that) is that that is too low, assuming it results in a 332mm BB height ((740mm wheel dia/2)-38mm) when you go slacker, particularly with 29 wheels
    I find it makes the bike less agile in fast turns when changing direction quickly. It’s not needed for stability at this length and HA and you also don’t get the weight transfer when you are braking on anything except steep stuff which can result in push (even at 64.5) this is what I am experiencing on my G13 (at 64.5 and lower)
    You are already in the bike (it’s long, thats the point). So I would suggest a higher BB too.
    You could try that now on the current bike to see if it works for you.
    I’d add a -2 headset and then 2 suspension bushes to steepen it and check the angles that should steepen your seat tube, increase your reach and lift the BB by about 10mm but you will need to measure it) (Chris has lots of bushes) but still result in perhaps a -1 deg slacker front.Ideally I’d say 445mm to 350mm BB for the 29.

Nothing to lose and pretty low cost for those little mods.

Alternatively I am picking up my G16 this week and that can run 29 wheels. It will have a 520mm reach, 660mm ETT, 61deg – 62 HA with 29 wheels, approx 350mm BB and I can set the chain stay to 450mm, 77 SA. You are welcome try it in that form. unless you are in Scotland in which case that’s harder for me!

sofaking
    Free Member

Alternatively I am picking up my G16 this week and that can run 29 wheels. It will have a 520mm reach, 660mm ETT, 61deg – 62 HA with 29 wheels, approx 350mm BB and I can set the chain stay to 450mm, 77 SA. You are welcome try it in that form. unless you are in Scotland in which case that’s harder for me!

is this custom Chainline or can all g16’s run 29 wheels ?

Chainline
    Free Member

I noticed a mistake in my bb numbers “445mm to 350mm” should be 345mm to 350mm!

Sofaking, All 2017 Mojo G16’s can run 29″ wheels or hybrid 29/27.5 or 27.5. 2016’s can’t run both ends 29″. This is due to the change to both the BB and the cnc bolted yoke as opposed to the previous welded yoke.

Viewing 40 posts - 1,081 through 1,120 (of 2,144 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.