Viewing 40 posts - 1,121 through 1,160 (of 2,144 total)
  • Anyone ridden the Mojo Nicolai yet?
  • getonyourbike
    Free Member

Thank you very much for replying and there’s some interesting stuff in there!

Unfortunately I’m not sure on the ETT but the SA is 74.5, so not perfect but pretty good.

Ah cool. I was definitely thinking of going slacker so that the ‘flop’ will help it turn in but didn’t think of going that far. I’m also lucky to have Works Components helping out so I’ll have a range of anglesets from 1 to 2 degrees to play around with. With this in mind, I might go for a 63 degree HA and then use the anglesets and offset shock bushings to play around with BB height (can’t change that on new front triangle) and head angle. With this I could raise the BB and still get the HA to 62.5 or lower if I want to.

Ah, that’s a shame. Yeh, I’m up in Edinburgh but thanks for the offer anyway chap.

Speeder

Blinking heck! this is bigger than my bike by some margin!

Chainline
    Free Member

Speeder, that particular bike isn’t (the article isn’t quite accurate to my annoyance) the production numbers are as per the drawing earlier in the thread, I posted them. That bike is custom geo for the lad, and not the same. Article is a bit of a hybrid about that bike and how it came to be and a separate process for pulling together a smaller GeoMetron. Seems to have been lost in translation.. the sentiment is right though. Wanted a proper bike for kids and smaller peeps.

sofaking
    Free Member

Thanks for the info Chainline

Speeder

Even if it’s not the “standard option” It does go to show what can be done on the custom program. I’m just shocked that a 12y/o needs a bike that’s more bling than the bike I’ve just built that’s the most expensive bike I’ve ever put together. Still, competitive dad is competitive dad.

Chainline
    Free Member

Welcome sofaking

Chainline
    Free Member

Speeder, yep, but if you have the money and your kids love it, fair play, beats the sofa

Speeder

Amen to that Chainline 😀 – I’m sure I’d be very tempted to bling up the kids bikes and go riding loads if I won the lottery. He’s one lucky kid.

Chainline
    Free Member

Nicolai have been doing this for a long time. My youngest daughters bike was originally commissioned by Simons_Nicolai-uk back in the late 2000s I am told for his partner, its a Nonius design, which at the time could be made smaller than a Helius, with a 12.5″ ST. It has similar geo to the bike shown in the article, tho built lighter in this version with a bunch of my old 26″ parts and a custom Mojo shock, so is pretty conventional in proportions. It’s a 130mm/130mm with a 68HA in this form. She’s been on this since age 10 and about 4’7″.

Orange did the same with the Diva, a long and std version which eldest daughter has been riding. That bike was actually the same as a 14″ five. The addition of a 35mm stem, angleset, 100mm dropper and 155mm Canfield cranks brought it easily within the bounds of a 4’9″ 11 yr old. This one is 140mm/140mm and has a standover of just under 680mm.

So it’s been wholly possible for a long time if you were committed to it for your kids, either through a custom route or carefully selecting components.

What I wanted to do was take the forgiveness and confidence a GeoMetron provides with the same geo and apply that to kids bikes and smaller people, make it really accessible, drive the standover below that of even a 26″ Diva (the new XS GeoMetron is 660mm) but make the reach and HA, WB etc forward thinking. So they don’t have to think about ‘adapting’ or riding differently, it’s what they know from the start. Both of my kids have been riding long, slack bikes for their size since 6 (When they had 14″ OnOne Inbreds with adapted SID’s, 24″ wheels, 30mm stems and modified cranks at 145mm, the Inbred has a super low standover) I’ve compensated with the setup so long is normal to them. Neither of them are super great or super fast but they enjoy it, are confident and happy to ride lots of stuff, do some jumps and drops, ride down steps etc. so it’s been a win from my perspective and keeps me closer to my girls with a shared hobby.

Can’t wait for the GroMetron to arrive..

if anyone wants ideas for their kids bikes or help and what parts can be used to good effect now low cost 26″ parts just ask or msg me, here’s the bikes I built for mine. 14″ Five or Diva is ideal from 10-11yrs (or earlier if they are taller, but hard to find used. However Orange will refurb it for £200 to look like new.

There are some parts worth investing in like the cranks and suspension. Deore 11spd or SLX is now cost effective..

[/url]IMG_0769 by Phil, on Flickr[/img]
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/RUffuc]IMG_0296[/url] by Phil, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/T5CcCw]IMG_3424[/url] by Phil, on Flickr

sofaking
    Free Member

I had a test ride day on Friday at BPW . Top service from Toby . A very frienndly and knowledgeable guy with a real passion for helping you get the most out of the bikes.
    I test rode the G13 and the G16. Both bikes are truly amazing to ride and very capable machines both up and down the hills. The G16 is a lot more bike than the G13 so if anyone is in two minds about these bikes I recommend you swing a leg over one or both. you might be pleasantly surprised

honourablegeorge

What are you buying, sk?

sofaking
    Free Member

although the G13 felt a very capable bike and would have probably been enough bike for me, the fact that the G16 went up hill so well and was even better on the descents made it an easy decision.
    if I only had one bike to ride I would have gone for the 13, but I am lucky enough to have a couple of other bikes to ride too

Chainline
    Free Member

Sofaking, enjoy 🙂 Don’t forget you can always try a few configurations on the G16. I look forward to some wider feedback from you 🙂

sofaking
    Free Member

Chainline. cant wait to get it now.i like the fact the new 16 can run 29er wheels although not sure how yet

comodiver
    Free Member

Hi everyone,just buyed a Nicolai G16 with Fox Float X2 shox
    Please is the someone out there that can give me a good starting set up for the X2?
    How many clicks and eventually how many spacers?
    Excuse my bad english

Chainline
    Free Member

Sofaking. You can either get a modded fork supplied with 27.5 180mm uppers and 29 lowers which can run both wheels (at 180mm, 27.5 or 170mm, 29) or just get spare lowers to be able to switch.

At the rear, just swop out the wheel! Either travel works.

blakec
    Free Member

Chainline the g16 that fits 29 wheels is this the current version that mojo are selling?

I assume you could just fit a 29 fork as standard from the out set.

michael01
    Free Member

Yep. but there are few people use it

Chainline
    Free Member

blakec yes you can do that with the 160mm 29er fork or use the 27.5 180mm uppers and 29 lowers as mention to go a little longer.

Finally building mine up with the 29 front wheel this weekend, although in the 40’s at the moment.

blakec
    Free Member

Chainline. Great thanks for the response going to see mojo on Monday to have a chat

Thanks

Chainline
    Free Member

Current project, 2017, not finished yet. 27.5/29 setup. Will be using both the 40 and a 36 I think.
    Need to fit the crank, tune the fork for 175mm travel and balance the stantion position with offset bushes to get the BB to 338mm.

All the other set up is my standard apart from the bar is a little high at present (will change when I’ve made the adjustments)

Rider height 178cm

BarEnd to BB – 915mm
    Centre of seatpost/saddle to centre of bar 680mm
    Stem 30mm
    Bar 800mm with ESIs
    Bar height 1110mm (Target back to 1070mm)
    BB – currently 343mm, planned 338mm
    Rear travel 155mm/175mm Front travel 175mm (29 wheel)
    Magic Mary in the front with 3mm clearance to arch
    Rear wheel Stans Bravo 32h built onto Hope Boost hub with CX-rays
    Front Wheel Enve AM built onto Hope hub, 20mm axle, CX-rays
    HA 61.3deg
    SA 76.5 deg
    CS set at 445mm currently (adjustable to 450mm)

[/url]IMG_0848 by Phil, on Flickr[/img]

Revised single piece CNC yoke with wider bearing spacing courtesy of 83mm BB
    [/url]IMG_0833 by Phil, on Flickr[/img]

Side view of the yoke and through machining
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/SrAQeG]IMG_0834[/url] by Phil, on Flickr

Tyre clearance with 83mm BB and new yoke (2.35 Minion SS on 27mm internal rim)
    [/url]IMG_0844 by Phil, on Flickr[/img]

at the front with the 27.5 wheel in and a 445mm CS

[/url]IMG_0845 by Phil, on Flickr[/img]

cokie

That CNC yoke is a piece of art! I love Nicolai and I’ve followed this thread from the start. I’ve always loved the welds and precision engineered look of them. Not sure it suits my current riding, but would love one once I’ve moved somewhere hillier.

Currently trying to get my dad on one of these and off his ancient Trek.
    The G13 appears to fit the bill. Just need to organize a test ride day. He’s in Zurich so plenty mountainous over there.

mudfish

Hey Chainline,
    another lovely build. Thanks for posting all the pics.
    That rear clearance is excellent.
    Might even get a 2.5 Maxxis in there comfortably if needed for Alpine.

mudfish

Hey comodiver,
    I’ve ben on the Geometron from it’s early days

Settings would be somewhat dependent on weight (pressure). I am 80kg and use the longer chainstays to give 175 travel with a 222 x 70 Shock.
    all settings clicks out from full on:
    222 x 70 Shock
    6 spacers
    HSC 22 /
    LSC 20 I started at 10 (And Mojo said go even to to 8 LSC or 6 if it feels soggy, it doesn’t)
    HSR 19 (Mojo ADVISE less LSR (faster return) say +2 for high speed, that would be 21 clicks out)
    LSR 9 (in soft ground, can use a bit more damping, so – 2 = 7 clicks out)

on the 215 shock I was on: HSC22 LSC 10 out, HSR17 LSR 3
    Hope it helps
    neil

Chainline
    Free Member

the new X2 has plastic spacers (or post recallshocks) so Mudfish essentially has max spacers allowed.

https://www.ridefox.com/help.php?m=bike&id=647

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

the new X2 has plastic spacers (or post recallshocks) so Mudfish essentially has max spacers allowed.

There must have been an intermediate version of the X2 – mine was pre-recall but had plastic spacers (and no limit ring). I’ve not opened it up since it had the new can on it.

Chainline
    Free Member

They did release the plastic spacers pre-recall with no limit ring but still a max number specified which gave a slightly larger residual volume than maxing out with the foam ones I think.

Wookster

Chainline, any idea what the clearance is like on the rear with a 29er wheel in there? If it’s the same rear end it looks like it may be a bit tight?

Chainline
    Free Member

I’ll take a pic this morning.

Chainline
    Free Member

I’m just awaiting a set of Boost Bravo’s so I can set it up properly for 29 and then do some proper testing and demoing with it, fit a long travel 29 36 too.

The ‘special’ 150mm G13’s have generated a lot of interest and there is a desire to offer the 16 with better knowledge of how best to set it up as a 29er as well as 27.5/29 (That is already pretty nailed) so customers can be well informed.

The plan is to run 155mm rear and 160mm-170mm front with either a standard or ebike fork depending on preference. (Standard can use 15 or 20mm axle) as well as boost version. I think e-bike is only boost but has stronger stantions and crown but is of course slightly heavier as a result.

honourablegeorge

Looks ace,CL.

Any reason for the reversed shock?

Chainline
    Free Member

fiddling with shock bushes and clearance. other way around now. fewer bushes, smaller shock.

honourablegeorge

Right, makes sense.

Meant to drop you an email, ran a shockwiz on my fork last night, other than a couple of clicks of high speed, it was very impressed with the fork tune you suggested. All pretty much spot on. Just me to blame now 🙂

Chainline
    Free Member

Good news HonourableGeorge 😀

Not even remotely tight.

29er Ardent 2.4 on Tech rim

[/url]Untitled by Phil, on Flickr[/img]

[/url]Untitled by Phil, on Flickr[/img]

Just going to check the BB heights with 36’s fitted. Need to lift them to 160mm first! It’s 350mm with the rear shocks set correctly. I think it will sit at around 338mm with the 216mm shock in but the chip at 222mm.

Horses for courses really on BB height/drop. fine tuning with bushes. I’ll measure up the angles too with the angle finder. Not an ideal wheel combo to use for me but until the fancy wheels arrive I’m sure they will be fine. I can swop between the 27.5 and 29 rear very quickly between runs. and adjust the BB.

scottarizona
    Free Member

Hi all, just thought I would report the weight of my 2017 G16. All built, ready to ride, with lots of carbon bits, it weighs about 31.75 pounds, or 14.4 kilos. Deduct a few grams for a light coating of Arizona dust. 🙂

Chainline
    Free Member

So this is now a 29 for testing, there has ben a lot of interest in the 29 version with longer travel so I wanted to do some more detailed testing to determine the best setup with the G16 rather than the G13 as a custom, Chris is doing the same and I think Toby too.

Just waiting for the @hopetech oval now for the @hopetech cranks then I can go riding. @mojosuspension G16 running 29 wheels.
    155mm rear currently (I will use the 175mm to but not until I want the higher BB and we have sorted the longer travel 29er fork.
    160mm front ebike 36, which is heavier than std at 2.2kg but stiffer.
    BB set at 340mm (plan testing between 340,345 & 350mm as I have a theory!)
    HA comes out at 60.5 and SA 76.2 but saddle set to give 77deg. Measured on the trusty digipas anglefinder and a straight edge.
    First runs will be with the Hopetech enduro wheels until the @stansnotubes Bravo wheels in boost arrive to lighten things up.
    A @vittoriauk_tyres Morso graphene tech rear ready to go on.
    My usual @hopetech brakes, @envecomposites DH bars, 30mm #syntace stem, ESI grips and @selle_italia slr kit carbonio saddle.
    [/url]IMG_0879 by Phil, on Flickr[/img]

julians
    Free Member

All built, ready to ride, with lots of carbon bits, it weighs about 31.75 pounds, or 14.4 kilos

What wheels and tyres are you using?

Shandy
    Free Member

That looks great Phil, the raw frames are nice. My black one is a bit brown after 18 months, the MucOff wasn’t really lifting it over the winter. My G13 is in Low with standard bushings and a -2 headset, I like it that but I would like to try a 29er with 36s and an X2.

Paul-j

Chainline, is that the longer swing arm to allow for the 29er rear?
    I’m just about to put a 29er wheel up front on my G16. But this is for a different approach. The plan is to use the G16 frame for mountain mayhem. fox 34 29er up front with stans crest rim, with fox rp23, fixed seat post. all to try and get the weight down. I have a sneaking suspicion, I will want the 29er lowers on the 180 36 and the x2 back on after the race for trai riding.

bedmaker

Beast of a bike!

How do these bikes feel with the 60 – 61 HA?

I seem to remember reading (possibly buried within this thread somewhere) that the steering slows as the HA slackens, but then around 63 the wheel flop counteracts that to start quickening the steering again.

Counterintuitive but it kinda makes sense.
    I hope so at least, as my slacktastic new hardtail should arrive within the next few days!

Viewing 40 posts - 1,121 through 1,160 (of 2,144 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.