Home Forums Bike Forum Anyone Repaired/Spare Parts for Versa drop bar STI shifter with an Alfine 8

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Anyone Repaired/Spare Parts for Versa drop bar STI shifter with an Alfine 8
  • nickingsley

I have a Versa STI shifter for an Alfine 8 hub on the drop bars of my 10yr old Genesis DayOne. However the shifter has now started to fairly frequently not change up from 1st gear (and I think occasionally 2nd gear) which is a real pain. The shifter, gear cable tension, cable location at the hub (set using the yellow lines on the hub in 4th gear) and the hub are all exactly as they should be so it is a problem in the shifter and likley as issue with the ratchet system. I have not yet started to strip the shifter.

Has anyone successfully repaired a Verso shifter and/or found spare parts for one? Any tips on said repairs?

If I cannot repair the current Alfine 8 STI shifter I am going to have to track down a replacement. Thoughts on a suitable replacement in 2024 other than the £180 Microshift option at SJS?

There was a thread 8yrs ago on STW I will follow up on.

Cheers in advance

nickingsley

Liberal application of GT85 in to the shifter. Hopefully that helps.

joshvegas
    Free Member

I was going to say dowse it in somthing to remove the old grease.

trail_rat
    Free Member

I “might” have one……..

I had them on my old road rat alfine and I believe I sold it as a flatbar.

Im sure I kept them as a spare for my wife’s day one commuter….. But that’s long expired.

Will have a look after work tonight if you want.

martymac

Other option would be converting to flat bar and Get a genuine shimano sti shifter.
    A mate did this on his day one with alfine 11spd.
    Shifting was definitely improved.

sillyoldman

Sportline/Madison have stock of the 11 speed version, but don’t appear to list the 8 spd version unfortunately.

TiRed

For old dura ace front shifter STII, I hung the bike from the front wheel and applied a lot of WD40. Several times. It’s probably the grease not the mechanism per se.

Give that a try. It worked for me.

nickingsley

Cheers, hopefully soaking with GT85 helps.

Not so keen to alter to a flat bar as I currently use the DayOne for longer rides/touring and like that I can walk my hands around the drop bar to get a different position.

@trail_rat
    I may be interested in that. Even as a spare if the soak works.

nickingsley

Several GT85 soaks sorted it.

Cheers

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.