Home Forums Bike Forum Anyone pack a new Shimano freehub with grease before installing?

• This topic has 8 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by Yak.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Anyone pack a new Shimano freehub with grease before installing?
  • filks

I have heard that I should pull up the seal and pack a new Shimano freehub with grease before installing as they are variably well lubed from the factory
    Is this established wisdom or a load of cobblers I should ignore?

fasthaggis

I do.

coatesy
    Free Member

Me too, usually find little more than what looks like light oil in them.

cynic-al
    Free Member

As above

filks

Thanks. I’ll do it too then

alexnharvey
    Free Member

The Freehub ratchet itself is best lubricated with a relatively fluid grease, DT and Shimano both sell a specific thinner grease for them. A less viscous semi-fluid grease is preferable rather than the thicker NLGI 2 which is typically used in hubs, headsets and BBs.

Thicker grease can cause the ratchet pawls to stick, particularly in cooler weather.There’s little benefit in packing a free hub, a little extra should suffice it you care too. But pointless to cause a problem when it’s more likely than not that the original lube will last for many years.

The main axle bearings on a front or rear hub on the other hand benefit from a surplus of lubricant, especially in wet conditions. Some people go so far as to fill the whole hub body with grease and others put a grease nipple in the centre so they can purge the furthest outboard grease and any contaminants out periodically.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Can you get to the pawls inside Shimano freehubs these days? Not possible on 9 and less, without stripping, which is risky.

There’s little benefit in packing a free hub

Given the inner bearings are one seal away from the elements, and failed freehubs often see them in rusty water, I’d disagree.

andreasrhoen
    Free Member

The design might have changed – but the “old” XT freehubs I soaked in engine oil. They were cartridge type designs and I think not possible to totally get apart.

Grease & freehub:
    Mmmm. Tends to stick. The thinner the better. Less grease is better.

Yak

The old xt freehubs needed periodic oil anyway as water often got in and froze in cold weather causing the freehub to not engage. Peeing on it would solve the issue mid-ride though.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Anyone pack a new Shimano freehub with grease before installing?’ is closed to new replies.