Viewing 25 posts - 201 through 225 (of 225 total)
  • Anyone familiar with Glasweigan slang?
  • No_discerning_taste
    Free Member

I’ll just pretend Google Translate had Glaswegian as an option. To be honest I wish it did as I’m struggling to read all your replies! You could make me put anything in this book and I wouldn’t know what it said!

No_discerning_taste
    Free Member

Actually, could someone give me good alternative to the word Sure that might be more appropriate? As in “Sure, we can…” and similar.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Nae bother

didnthurt

There’s a Scots translator, might help.

http://www.scotranslate.com/

didnthurt

One of the young guys from work types just like how he talks on our WhatsApp group. He’s from Loanhead rather than Glasgow though, very funny to read but can take a couple of reads some times with me being a Sassenach and all.

didnthurt

See if you can employ the Bam Whisperer.

https://m.facebook.com/watch/?v=1923195011043588&_rdr

StirlingCrispin

Discussed this thread with my boys – no kids talk like they do in the text above.

Stirling-born and go to high school with kids from the Raploch (see above) and Fallin.

Fallin doesn’t have an accent, it’s a growl (I lived there for 10 years – awesome folk).

I chat daily to a guy from the Raploch while walking the dug. I tell him of my adventures and he says, “Pitlochry sounds amazing, I’ve always wanted to go there”. And I think, “It’s 90minutes up the road, son”.

Anyway, a couple of things:

Kids are called Tom but they are always called something else, like Dickhead.

Cheesie Toast.

“Sure, we can…” = Sound.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Cheesie Toast.

Teuchter perverts. 😉

No_discerning_taste
    Free Member

Finally, the book is published! Thank you so much to everyone that helped, some of which have been acknowledged in the book. All the profits for any sales during the next 7 days will go to Swaledale Mountain Rescue that has picked up many injured mountain bikers (especially during Ard Rock!) His Favourite Hole

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Good stuff, great cause ya c##t.

grum
    Free Member

His Favourite Hole conjures up a different image than golf for me, in the context of Scottish slang. 😉

Congrats on getting it done!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

“It’s 90minutes up the road, son”.

You must drive like my father in law.

StirlingCrispin

You must drive like my father in law.

Your maw

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

lol

bigyan
    Free Member

His Favourite Hole

Your maw

redmex
    Free Member

Ok an that but

“But” gets used to finish a sentence throo the West I don’t know why

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

ButEh?” gets used to finish a sentence throo the WestEast I don’t know why

FTFY

seosamh77
    Free Member

No_discerning_taste
    Free Member
    Finally, the book is published! Thank you so much to everyone that helped, some of which have been acknowledged in the book. All the profits for any sales during the next 7 days will go to Swaledale Mountain Rescue that has picked up many injured mountain bikers (especially during Ard Rock!) His Favourite Hole

Good stuff, best of luck with it.

Quality title, we’ll just say you meant it! 😆

redmex
    Free Member

It wid be guid tae have a wee swatch an see if ony ‘wer words are init

No_discerning_taste
    Free Member

Oh yes, the title is entirely intentional! 😉

gecko76

Finished the book last night, really enjoyed it and fun spotting which bits came from this thread 🙂

No_discerning_taste
    Free Member

Glad you enjoyed it! You’ll be pleased to know I’m halfway through writing the second book where Jack returns. Although he is a bit more quiet in this one as nobody understands a single word he is saying (it being mostly set in Russia). I’ll look forward to getting the forum’s help with the Glaswegian again in a few months time. Might need some Russians to help too!

StirlingCrispin

Braw!

redmex
    Free Member

Pure, dead, brilliant

Bunnyhop

Yay, have ordered the book.

Viewing 25 posts - 201 through 225 (of 225 total)

The topic ‘Anyone familiar with Glasweigan slang?’ is closed to new replies.