Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 225 total)
  • Anyone familiar with Glasweigan slang?
  • leffeboy

Ah, I’d never though about the regional variations on toasted cheese before.  For me it was always roasted when my friends talked about it but cheese on toast when my mum made it (from Aberdeenshire)

leffeboy

The Gow

perchypanther
    Free Member

The Gow

The actual Gow?

leffeboy

the actual Gow, the one and only

perchypanther
    Free Member

My first ever real construction job was the tennis pavilion in McKirdy Park

leffeboy

My first ever real construction job was the tennis pavilion in McKirdy Park

I’ll have to google stalk it.  I think I would only have gone out that end of town if if I was cycling to Hamilton

redmex
    Free Member

All this fechtin o’er a wee bit o spam n cheese we need more lines to toughen up
    On the East coast it was always toasted Cheese best ever fast food wi plain bread and there was/is a spam valley in Kirkcaldy built by Wimpey same crappy houses wi London bricks

No_discerning_taste
    Free Member

Sorry, only spotted you wanted more to translate. This really could do with some attention. The four youngsters (15-22 in age) have got halfway up a hill towards the reservoirs and are about to get ready to play a trick on the kidnappers to get the ransom money back. Josh has been folded up in one of those trailers you put behind your bike and put your toddler in.

“Tom and Josie wait here. No need for ye to cycle all the way up. I’ll take Josh up and get him in position and then I’ll come back and let ye know what we’re going to do. Tom, the bike please. Not dragging this nugget up the hill.” Jack said and laughed as Josh tried to extract himself from the trailer.

joshvegas
    Free Member

have got halfway up a hill towards the reservoirs and are about to get ready to play a trick on the kidnappers to get the ransom money back.

Christ this is exciting. Not sure I could fold into a a kids trailer though.

slowoldman

Tom, the bike please.

Please?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

No kid for Glasgow would ever be called Tom, Tommy or Tam yes, but not Tom. Reservoir would be the dam or the rezzy.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Geez the bike Tom.

Actually would he be called Tom?

Tam?

perchypanther
    Free Member

Geez the bike Tom.

Gie’s that bike aff ye, Tam

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Maybe you’d be better just basing it round Milngavie, in which case you could have them speaking in that annoying ubiquitous west end/swallows and amazons accent.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Tom and Josie wait here

Tam…Josie…Youse two stay doon here.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Maybe you’d be better just basing it round Milngavie, in which case you could have them speaking in that annoying ubiquitous west end/swallows and amazons accen

Then they’d have e-bikes and going all the way up the hill wouldn’t be a problem.

I’m just astonished that they were able to rustle up a bike trailer for emergency transport of a teenager but not an extra bike.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Perchy to play Jack, Josh, Josie in the film adaptation?

redmex
    Free Member

Fur the last fuxxin time ya cheesy wee bellend get aff the fuxxin bike

perchypanther
    Free Member

Perchy to play Jack, Josh, Josie in the film adaptation?

Wouldn’t work. Ah canny ride a bike.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Edit – a gie up

dyna-ti

a gie up

Ah gie up 😉

Sorted

seosamh77
    Free Member

“Tom and Josie wait here. No need for ye to cycle all the way up. I’ll take Josh up and get him in position and then I’ll come back and let ye know what we’re going to do. Tom, the bike please. Not dragging this nugget up the hill.” Jack said and laughed as Josh tried to extract himself from the trailer.

You 2 plank yer arse there and wait while we take a donner up. Me and josh’ll fire up and suss it out and then we’ll gie youse a shout. Tam, geez the bike, yer arse I’m kerting this nugget up on ma ain.

perchypanther
    Free Member

I feel you’re not really striking a balance between authenticity and readability to facilitate clear plot exposition here 😉

Rona

This thread 😂

seosamh77
    Free Member

perchypanther
    Free Member
    I feel you’re not really striking a balance between authenticity and readability to facilitate clear plot exposition here 😉

😆 I’ll leave readability judgements up to the OP, I’m only here to provide authenticity. I’ll temper my ruglin mumble for no c***! 😆

perchypanther
    Free Member

ruglin

Hing oan!

That’s South Lanarkshire.

You’re no’ a Weegie either!

seosamh77
    Free Member

I did admit that earlier. though, from 1975 to 1996 ruggie was in glasgow, so I spent my formative years as a bonafide weegie. 😆

perchypanther
    Free Member

Yer a pound shoap weegie at best.

Same as me.

seosamh77
    Free Member

I’m a rugloanian, yer weegies can come a head! 😆

perchypanther
    Free Member

Aye!

Mon’ then.

The ‘Shire Big Team’ll take yeez all on.

seosamh77
    Free Member

in aboot thum! 😆

No_discerning_taste
    Free Member

To set the next piece of dialog in context, they have stopped the kidnapper’s van by having Josie lie naked on the track ready to squirt vinegar into the eyes of the kidnappers and Jack has taken out the valves of the van’s tyres to make sure they won’t be able to follow them (actually they loose control and leave the road and die but the kids don’t know that) BTW Tom is the posh kid…

“The valve caps will keep the air in for a few minutes but after that, they won’t go anywhere. Get ready to get on yer bike.” Jack whispered quietly before turning his attention to Josie.

seosamh77
    Free Member

“The valve caps will keep the air in for a few minutes but after that, they won’t go anywhere. Get ready to get on yer bike.” Jack whispered quietly before turning his attention to Josie.

The caps will haud the air for a wee bit, but efter that, they’re stuck and urny gon anywhere. Make sure you’re ready to scarper oan that bike!

perchypanther
    Free Member

Why is he naked and where’s he hiding the vinegar?

No_discerning_taste
    Free Member

Josie is the 22 year old sister of Jack’s. What better way to make sure the kidnappers stop the van and BOTH get out to have a look and she is has a very small waterpistol filled with vinegar. (Well it is fiction after all…) You’ll have to read the book to find out what happens when Josie gets into the hot tub with Tom’s dad. It is truly shocking!

perchypanther
    Free Member

22 year old girls don’t ordinarily get all their kit off for their brothers 15 year old mates.

Not even in Glasgow.

Also, poor Josie is now suffering either frostbite or midge bites

No_discerning_taste
    Free Member

She feels very guilty as she thinks she might have killed Tom’s dad and nearly killed his grandmother by accidentally shutting her inside a walk-in fridge. But you’re right normally they certainly wouldn’t! Midges are accounted for earlier in the story.

slowoldman

You realise we won’t need to buy the book when it comes out?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

You realise we won’t need to buy the book when it comes out?

No_discerning_taste
    Free Member

I doubt anyone will buy the book when it comes out! 🙂 I will put you in the acknowledgments just in case!

gordimhor

If ah wis you OP, I wid juist screen shot the hail thread and delete it richt noo. Nae c… body kens whae ye ur or whaur ye stay. Except mebbe Scotroutes, ye’ll need tae pey him aff and get him tae delete the thread. Then when ye’ve wrote yer bestseller and yer gettin interviewed oan the telly ye can laugh at aw us batterin awa at wir keyboards. Sayin “that’s that cheeky f*****er got us tae scrieve his buik fur him and stitched us aw up”

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 225 total)

The topic ‘Anyone familiar with Glasweigan slang?’ is closed to new replies.