Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 225 total)
  • Anyone familiar with Glasweigan slang?
  • seosamh77
    Free Member

perchypanther
    Free Member
    Roasted cheese is a Kraft type cheese slice on toast innit?

Roasted cheese, Toasted cheese, cheese in toast. It’s all the same. Any bread any cheese.

It’s an example of linguistic geographical indictor that betrays your true roots.

I, for example, as a dyed in the wool resident of deepest darkest Lanarkshire, would have thought it perfectly normal as a child to eat some roasted chesse and then take a hector to the tally to buy a black man.

A true Weegie would be more likely eat toasted cheese instead and then deposit their gless cheque at the van in exchange for a double nugget.

TJ, on the other hand would have Welsh Rarebit and would follow it up with an artisan Gelato.

😆

bang on, bar one exception, it’s toast an cheese or cheese on toast. 😆

btw technically I’m no glesga either, in free ruggie, so even my south east dialect will have differences!

perchypanther
    Free Member

If you want a universal Ayrshire

Doubt such a thing exists.

The dialects can be markedly different even over short distances.

The Airdrie punters are only seven miles away from here and they talk a whole different language from me.

squirrelking
    Free Member

My missus is bad for that, I do it too but to a lesser extent.

chipps

5-0 comes from the Wire and not Glaswegian.

OT: Surely that originally came from Hawaii 5-0?

downshep

Seeeven, twae, ken and neeebor are common within the “Drungan’ Triangle’.

duncancallum

I believe should be your prime research material

clemp3
    Free Member

I lived in Malawi for 20 odd years then ended up at college in Easterhouse after I left home.
    it took my 3 to 4 months to understand full sentences and 10 years on, being mostly based in the eastend, I still struggle with thick accents and really if you get chatting to some of the jakeball junkies it’s basically a continuous incomprehensible slur.
    I know it sounds mainstream and perhaps not authentic but Kevin bridges sounds like your man. He captures so much of the Glaswegian character and dumbs it down so that even us English folk get to laugh along as well. Could be the happy medium for your readers.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Seeeven, twae, ken and neeebor are common within the “Drungan’ Triangle

There’s nae triangles in a flute bon.

I’ve lived in Ayrshire for 45 years, and I’ve never been, and never plant to go, to Drungin.

mucker

F’sake gei’sa brek, ye’zil nee’eh talk posh or nae’ c*nt’ll gerrit.

tjagain

Oi ya roasters!

Way back when I was at school in Glasgow which was the local comp – Hillpark for anyone that knows it. Both my pal Jims mother and my girlfriends mother would make us cheese on toast – which was a piece of toast out of the toaster with a slice of Kraft cheese on top. Jim lived in Arden and his parents were as blue collar as they come. My girlfriend lived in Milngavie and her parents were white collar – but cheese on toast was the same.

I never heard the term roasted cheese – maybe that was for the proper posh folk which I suspect some of you were. I mean did blue collar folk raise panthers?

seosamh77
    Free Member

I’ve never used cheese slices for anything other than a burger in ma puff. 😆

ffs my cheese on toast these days usually includes tomatoes, basil and a balsamic glaze. 😆

tjagain

As I suspected. Posh.

seosamh77
    Free Member

If am posh the world is f’d 😆

mattyfez

Roasted cheese…. = Camembert with carmelized onion on a bit of bruschetta. A few heavily garlic’d olives on the side.

Don’t mind if I do.

gordimhor

I’d a job in the 90s reading meters in Drungin and ither pairts o Ayrshire. However I really did have job reading the meters in Drungin some wee nyaff had burnt a the street signs and I had nae idea where the f.. I wis. So I went and got another job.

tjagain

Ohhhhhhhhhh fancy!

grum
    Free Member

As I suspected. Posh.

Exactly. 😛 I have a mate from east Glasgow and his version of roasted cheese was white bread with cheese slice on top, under the grill.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I never heard the term roasted cheese – maybe that was for the proper posh folk which I suspect some of you were. I mean did blue collar folk raise panthers?

Roastit cheese here, but I dunno where it originated from, mum from Bridge of Allan, Dad an ayrshireman. And it was always cheddar, never plastic cheese! Plastic cheese was too dear!

Blue collar is an american thing, There’s nothing in Ayrshire but working class, all of us! 🙂

grum
    Free Member

Just looked, cheapest cheese slices from Aldi are almost half the price per kilo of the cheapest cheddar. So now who’s the posho!

poly
    Free Member

I lived in Ayr for 3 years – the farm staff finished every sentence with ‘ken.

just re-read the way I wrote what you replied to – I was saying not in Glasgow, you’ll need to go to Ayrshire or travel East to hear Ken being used commonly. Probably didn’t come across like that.

Roasted cheese is definitely not posh. I’m from Glasgow and would call it toasted cheese (but frequently heard it called cheese on toast), I’d never heard roasted cheese before meeting my wife (from much closer to Edinburgh — she’s definitely NOT posh. I’m not sure if that’s the local lingo in Lothians or if it comes from her mother’s side who is originally from Ayrshire; I assume these things probably are more likely to pass within families rather than localities.

stavaigan
    Free Member

Tongs ya bass.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Just looked, cheapest cheese slices from Aldi are almost half the price per kilo of the cheapest cheddar. So now who’s the posho!

Not in 1985 they weren’t cheaper!

tjagain

stavaigan

That takes me back!

perchypanther
    Free Member

I mean did blue collar folk raise panthers?

It would seem so.

I’m a scheme rat made good.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Nobeerinthefridge
    Not in 1985 they weren’t cheaper!

aye new fangled american cheese. 😆 Probly didnae even see a cheese slice till ’88! 😆

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

aye new fangled american cheese. 😆 Probly didnae even see a cheese slice till ’88! 😆

Exactly, was only the folk in spam valley that had such ‘luxuries’ as fake cheese! haha

tjagain

My pal in Arden which is hardly spam valley did in the mid 70s. Me the posh boy from muirend had never seen it before

squirrelking
    Free Member

There’s nothing in Ayrshire but working class scum, all of us! 🙂

FTFY

I’d a job in the 90s reading meters in Drungin and ither pairts o Ayrshire. However I really did have job reading the meters in Drungin some wee nyaff had burnt a the street signs and I had nae idea where the f.. I wis. So I went and got another job.

One of my workmates used to work for the council electrical department, he was doing lamp posts in Kilmarnock when he spotted a postie on his bike. The guy would cycle to the end of the path, jump off, wheel it up the steps, post the letters, wheel it back down, jump back on and repeat. This went on for a few days and eventually curiosity got the better of him so he stopped him asked him why he was doing that. Turned out he’d lost three bikes in the scheme (can’t remember if it was that one or new farm) already that month and was on a written warning.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I used to have a milk round in Ardrossan SK, the flats behind Glasgow street down at the marina, Montgomery street, had no numbers, as they’d all been pulled off. I got to the stage I just left milk at anyones door!

mashr

I’m from Glasgow and would call it toasted cheese (but frequently heard it called cheese on toast),

Was beginning to think I was alone with this one – definitely toasted cheese in this house.

Does anyone have a rough estimate of how many different spam valleys there are in the area? The one I know of is in Lenzie….. but suspiciously close to Kirkie

tjagain

Spam valley to me was always Bearsden / Milgavie. Kirkie was not when I lived there ( my family moved from Muirend to strathblane to Kirkintilloch) but that being 45 years ago i guess the demographic could have changed

Spam Valley to me was were the folk desperate to look posh moved to and spent all their money on a mortgage so only had money left for spam not real meat. So Bearsden / Milgavie but not strathblane as they were even posher. Kirkie when i was there was pretty working class I thought

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Spam valley was never a town, it was generally an area of town, a bridging area that folk from cooncil hooses moved to and looked down their noses at their old neighbours. It was generally a Wimpey type estate (they’d never call it a scheme!).

It’s never really changed, the new estates on the edge of town I grew up in are full of folks that have now ‘made it’ 🙂

poly
    Free Member

mashr – spam valley isn’t specific to an area, its just any area perceived by its neighbours as having overpriced housing (such that you could only afford to eat spam if you actually lived there).

mashr

Yup, hence the Spam Valley in Lenzie, and I think I’d heard of Milngavie being one too. Can’t just be an East Dumbartonshire thing though?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Can’t just be an East Dumbartonshire thing though?

Definitely not. Ditto, corned beef county, fur coat and nae knickers etc.

richmtb

Spam valley was never a town, it was generally an area of town, a bridging area that folk from cooncil hooses moved to and looked down their noses at their old neighbours. It was generally a Wimpey type estate (they’d never call it a scheme!).

Yeah but my Ayrshire town was so shit we had to borrow a spam valley from the next town over. There was no room for spam valleys in Stevenston the nearest was Whitehurst Park in Kilwinning!

allanoleary
    Free Member

This thread is nearly as hard to read as Trainspotting

squirrelking
    Free Member

Yeah but my Ayrshire town was so shit we had to borrow a spam valley from the next town over. There was no room for spam valleys in Stevenston the nearest was Whitehurst Park in Kilwinning!

They managed to wedge one in at the edge by Ardeer!

I thought folk from that end aspired to Ardrossan though.

Cougar

OT: Surely that originally came from Hawaii 5-0?

Aye, the reference was that Hawaii is the 50th state.

richmtb

I thought folk from that end aspired to Ardrossan though.

Ooft, the Three Toons Riviera, a marina and an ASDA, a man can dream.

Growing up I’m pretty sure most sensible folk in the “Boatem End” of Stevenston aspired to be anywhere else.

To be fair, I spent a bit of time down there during the summer and its a lot nicer than i remember. Its got a genuinely lovely beach and a lot of new housing has replaced the horrible stuff I remember from growing up.

I wouldn’t say its fully gentrified but the locals have (mostly) stopped mugging the gentry.

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 225 total)

The topic ‘Anyone familiar with Glasweigan slang?’ is closed to new replies.