Home Forums Bike Forum Any ever replaced the pad in a pair of good quality cycling shorts

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Any ever replaced the pad in a pair of good quality cycling shorts
  • CliveA

I have a pair of really nice quality Le Col road shorts. Easily my best shorts. Comfy and well-made.

Had them about four years, so no complaints. But all of a sudden, the pad has just given up. Split into various parts and rearranged itself under one cheek.

Anyone ever got a pad replaced in shorts? Of course, I could just bin them, but as the rest of the (pricey) shorts are still in great condition, it feels like a waste.

susepic

By the time the pad goes mine have usually also gone a bit too transparent and chipolata.

Rather than bin I might use them for short sessions on the trainer, but not for outdoors

DickBarton

A local tailor might be able to add a new chamois in…probably would need it supplied though.

Does the manufacturer do a repair service?

vlad_the_invader

By the time the pad goes mine have usually also gone a bit too transparent and chipolata.

Rather than bin I might use them for short sessions on the trainer, but not for outdoors

Yeah, mine too. I suggest the OP asks one of his good cycling buddies to ride behind him on a sunny day to check just how translucent his shorts have become 😉

johnhe

in my own, admittedly fairly irrelevant experience, I’d end up spending almost the cost of a new pair, and then something else would break within about a week of the repair, making it all pointless! Like a zip failing, or a tear in the bum.

augustuswindsock

It’s a long shot, but it would be worth contacting le Col and see if they’ll repair/replace, given the cost it’s a reasonable ask, the worst they can do is say no!

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Simply squirt expanding foam all over your arse then pull the shorts on quickly. Allow to dry.  Et Voila, new chamois.

Thanks not necessary

natrix
    Free Member

BITD the pro riders would have a preferred pad and when team kit was issued they’d get a seamstress to remove the issued pads and replace with their preferred design, so it is definitely feasible to do, but it might be tricky finding a quality pad that is sold on its own. This company makes pads but don’t know if you can buy them seperatly : https://www.elasticinterface.com/brands/ and you can get cheap ones off Amazon https://www.amazon.co.uk/WOSAWE-Cycling-Breathable-Shockproof-Underwear/dp/B07TLJ5Y8X

thenorthwind

While I’m all for repairing stuff as far as possible, it seems* to me that the pad is the critical part, and probably where all the value is, so shoehorning something else in is just going to be disappointing. Replacing the pad with a cheap one off Amazon seems like keeping your favourite bike by replacing the snapped frame with something from Halfords.

Yeah, maybe ask Le Col, but I doubt they could repair it economically. They might offer you a discount off a new pair. I’d just be happy you’ve found some shorts compatible with your derriere, whatever the cost.

*No pun intended

igm

Make sure you get a good tailor / seamstress.

A badly fitted pad will certainly result in the blues

CliveA

Excellent responses here.

Thanks all!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.