Home Forums Bike Forum AM Moab Mid STX – Mountain bike shoes

• This topic has 4 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 1 week ago by bens.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • AM Moab Mid STX – Mountain bike shoes
  • gooner666

I recently bought a pair of the above as recommended on here as waterproof boots for the winter.

I have been wearing them in the dry throughout the summer as they as so comfortable. However, today it poured down and my feet were completely soaked.

I was wearing shorts and ankle socks if that makes any difference so the water probably ran straight down my legs into the top of the socks?

What should I wear to make them waterproof? Sealskinz socks and long trousers?

bikesandboots

Waterproof socks in the only way. The wide spongy opening just soaks water in which then gets stuck inside (at least it’s warm…). Trousers won’t cover it and it’s too wide to put a gaiter over it, so water will flow down it and get splashed up from the trail too.

Good hike and push a bike shoes for the mountains.

tall_martin

I wear waterproof trousers and gaiters over waterproof shoes in the depths of winter.

Water runs down the trousers, over the gaiters whichever are under the trousers, then over the shoes.

My 15 year old Shimano waterproof boots wet out eventually and I still get wet feet but it’s after 3 hours of splashing through the peaks finest puddles instead of 30 seconds of water hits left, runs into boots= wet cold feet.

grahamt1980

Trail running gaiters make them more splash proof.  But not waterproof from the big hole at the top

bens
    Free Member

If they’ll stretch over, grip grab gaiters are pretty helpful in keeping most of the water out for a while.

I have Lake MX146 boots and even with TLD Resist trousers over the top, I get water collecting in the boots after a few hours. The gaiters help and prolong the water ingress for a bit but it’s always going to find a way in.

I think the key is wearing socks that keep you warm once they’re wet. Wet feet are inevitable. Warm and wet is better than cold and wet.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.