Home Forums Chat Forum Advice please – cat needs an eye removed

• This topic has 79 replies, 48 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by bigG.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 80 total)
  • Advice please – cat needs an eye removed
  • FB-ATB

Welders gloves and a spoon?

Has Al moved onto veterinary surgery now?

beinbhan

Chipped in
    I had a cat that got caught in a snare when she was about 18 months she managed to free her self after being missing for about 3 days. the snare was round her head and she lost an eye.

It didn’t make any difference to her, she adjusted and spent the next 17 years decimating the local rabbit population.

I won’t say what happened to the **** that set the snares.

simonbowns
    Free Member

One of our cats spent 6 weeks or so with her eye stitched shut after it came out of its socket. I was genuinely astounded at how little it seemed to bother her. She healed fine in the end, but behaved basically as normal during the time it was shut.

icic
    Free Member

Our cat cost a bit to sort out a kidney problem, but at the end of the day he is a part of the family and was worth the money (i never thought that before though, i just thought you purr for food)!

I didn’t think my first post world be about a one eyed pussy, and how it got saved by crowd funding 🐈, only £10 to go!

airvent
    Free Member

If it’s desperate to be outside afterwards, my girlfriend takes her cat outside once per day on a lead and harness. At first i thought it was ridiculous, but since he’s accident prone and has already been run over once before and had its tail removed, this was the best solution to stop him having to stay indoors all day every day.

He loves wearing it, might be worth a thought for the rehabilitation part as you can be in control of it outside.

thecaptain
    Free Member

It’s just a cat. You can have one of ours for nothing if you want. You can always give the £1k to the local pet rescue if you feel guilty about it.

MikeG

Our cats have donated their dreamies for the next couple of weeks to help :)

zilog6128

hols2

euthanasia

bad news fella, you’ve just been outvoted 😀

irc
    Free Member

Small donation made. Cats are great. If it was 15,16,17 years old perhaps not but an otherwise healthy 10 year old cat has another 10 years with a bit of luck.
    We had a dog that lost an eye at 3 years old. Lived happily to 15.

FB-ATB

I think it’s easier for dogs as they’re not as independent. When I’m walking our dog we quite often meet a dog that’s had both eyes removed. He can follow his owner & brother no problem, even walking around objects on the track.

hamishthecat
    Free Member

Our cat (the eponymous Hamish, who is alas, no more) had this op when he was about 15, recovered fine and lived well for another 2.5 years. He was an outdoor/indoor cat and we had to keep him in for a couple of weeks and then all was fine. Was about 3.5 years ago. I think the OP needs a different vet though as it cost us less than £300. Maybe rural Devon is just cheap for vets.

sarge
    Free Member

Chipped in too. Cats are great.

Cougar

When I’m walking our dog we quite often meet a dog that’s had both eyes removed.

Please tell me its owner is a Guide.

cheburashka
    Free Member

Good on you. Chipped in. And good luck Ted.

stox
    Free Member

There’s another tenner for Ted. Good luck

oddnumber
    Free Member

Good work chap. Just put a little in, in honour of our first rescue Bilbo who himself had to have an eye removed. It didn’t stop him or hinder him at all.

johndrummer
    Free Member

Donated

hels
    Free Member

I just checked the page, we have saved Ted! To all the “it’s just a cat” people I am sorry but you are wrong. Pets are members of our family, well mine is. I hope he lives a happy life with you. Well done singletrack world another small victory for a caring society.

jamj1974

Give the wee man a chance. I’ll donate too.

sl2000

Good luck Ted; and well done STW.

Cougar

I first had a cat when I was 12. She was integral to my life, part of the family, from that age until I passed 30. Think about that for a moment: she was my pet and companion from aged 12 into my 30s.

At the end of her tenure I had to make That Decision on an eighteen year old kitty due to her rapidly declining health and she died in my arms following a lethal injection that I’d commissioned. It was the right thing to do but was the hardest thing I’ve ever done and I wailed “what have I done?!” as soon as it’d happened. Over the years since, I’ve shed more tears over my little Brandy than over any human. I’m tearing up typing this now.

To all the “it’s just a cat” people I am sorry but you are wrong.

I’d challenge anyone to say “it’s just a cat” to my face rather than via the medium of hammering keys on an Internet forum. Not to be threatening but rather just to see if anyone actually had the stones and catastrophic lack of empathy to say it in person.

hols2
    Free Member

I like cats, but most feral cats have miserable lives and die horribly after a few years. They don’t live to be 15 or 20 years old like indoor cats. Spending 1K that you can’t really afford on a 10-year old feral cat is objectively not a smart move. That 1K would do much more good for cats if it was spent on neutering strays so that more kittens don’t starve. Of course, people don’t make cold, objective decisions, that’s fine, but the OP was asking for advice and the objectively best thing to do if you like cats is to euthanize that one and spend the money helping other cats.

If it’s relevant, I have a couple of young cats that were rescued as stray kittens. The woman who rescued them has been trying to catch the mother, but shes’ too canny and they can’t catch her, so every few months they have another litter to try and place. That’s the ones they can get to in time, most of them starve to death before they can catch them. I know I’m going to outrage everyone, but having that mother cat executed would be doing a favour to all her kittens that keep dying a horrible death due to starvation.

derek_starship
    Free Member

Well. The target has been smashed. Ickle Ted will be booked in for the operation.

We have been stunned by the generosity demonstrated by the good folk of STW. Honestly, I was expecting £100 at the most. This morning the total has exceeded £700 and we’re totally
    flibberpoopledibbed (<made that one up).

Thank you so, so much for all your words of support and your incredibly generous donations towards Ted’s treatment.

We will keep you informed of his progress.

N&M

chipster

GWS, Ted.
    Donated

rickmeister

Just stuck something in the kitty too.

bearnecessities

<RSPCA enters chat>

nicko74

OP- sorry to hear about Ted’s woes, and that the meds etc haven’t worked. Our pug had a corneal ulcer, from insufficient teardrop production; she then ran into a protruding door hinge and ruptured the eyeball(!!). In hindsight it was all fairly horrendous, but at the time we just kinda pulled through; she refused to open her eyelid in the immediate aftermath, so at least some eyeball integrity was retained. And we’re bloody-minded enough that we refused to allow the vet to remove her eye though, and kept at 3 times a day with plasma and 2-3 types of meds, and now her eyeball’s in pretty good shape.

Appreciating that cats are different (more difficult to administer meds to, for starters):
    – I’d talk to the vet more. Why does the eye “need” to be removed? What would be needed in order to keep it? Corneal ulcers do heal with suitable medication, patience etc – how practical is that in this case?
    – if the eye has to be removed, Ted will in the long-term adjust and be OK. His distance perception may be reduced, but they’re amazingly versatile and adaptable animals. I’d be more concerned about the short term, like the immediate 1-3 months after surgery. He’ll need a lot of care, which may be difficult with him being an outdoor cat.

holdsteady

Donated as know how much pets mean to people – a few years ago we had 2 male cats who were brothers and not insured, one had an over-active thyroid and was losing weight rapidly and the medication (about £90 a month and very difficult to administer the pills orally) wasn’t working so after about a year so we opted for radiotherapy thyroid op which meant he was away for about 4 weeks, successfully cured him and he lasted another 5 years, cost around £2k. Soon after his return we discovered his brother had same thyroid issue and was also diagnosed as having Feline HIV (expected to have been picked up from fighting as was neutered) so rather than waste time on meds he had the op too, and lived another 4 years. We were fortunate to have the £5k in savings, but was worth every penny. The replacement cats we got are insured although reading the t&cs it doesn’t actually cover much if they had similar thyroid issues.

martinhutch

Just stuck something in the kitty too.

Bet he didn’t see that coming.

footflaps

We have a one eyed HH who visits the garden….

cynic-al
    Free Member

Has Al moved onto veterinary surgery now?

It wasn’t a spoon 🧐

FB-ATB

That should be the title of your memoirs!

FB-ATB

but most feral cats have miserable lives and die horribly after a few years. They don’t live to be 15 or 20 years old like indoor cats

But Ted isn’t like most ferals. As per our ex feral Eddy, they’ve adopted a human/food slave to give them food and a shelter.

fossy

Hard as nails are cats. Our old cat can’t see and has arthritis, but she’s still pottering around the garden and house. In the last week she’s managed to somehow scramble up the conservatory to get out the window, and into our ‘cat run’ – (the other 4 cats are indoor – 3 pedigrees and a rescue with cat flu), and then somehow negotiate the various climbing platforms to get into it (there are big gaps between the platforms).

jakehinton
    Free Member

Do you still need donations? Happy to put some money in if you do

dyna-ti

Can someone supply a link to the page and I’ll throw in some ‘recovery treats and toys’ money.

Cougar

I copied it into the OP.

dyna-ti

Payment for recovery sweets and toys made. :D

jakehinton
    Free Member

Donated, hope he makes a quick recovery!

bigG
    Free Member

So,, how’s Ted?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 80 total)

The topic ‘Advice please – cat needs an eye removed’ is closed to new replies.