Home Forums Bike Forum Accidentally bought a Yeti ARC

• This topic has 106 replies, 43 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by jfab.
Viewing 27 posts - 81 through 107 (of 107 total)
  • Accidentally bought a Yeti ARC
  • nickc

Question for the arc owners.

55mm chain-line? Is that new boost? I’ve got a GX boost chain-set with 3mm offset chainring, that’ll go on won’t it?

jfab

I think the 3mm offset brings the chainring 3mm back towards the frame which would give you a 52mm chainline. Whether this would be fine or not I couldn’t say, you may be close to the frame around the chainstay.

You might need a 0mm offset chainring, but if you have the time/patience to build it up and have a look you could well get away with it!

jfab

Oh and congratulations on also accidentally buying an ARC, I was a victim of this too but it’s all turned out really well!

honourablegeorge

jfab

I think the 3mm offset brings the chainring 3mm back towards the frame which would give you a 52mm chainline

3mm offset was boost, 6mm was non boost, the offset moves you closer to the frame – the 6mm chainring has more dish, if that makes sense.

honourablegeorge

Having said that, 52mm was the chainline when they came out with all this

nickc

I’ve found mention of DUB Wide chainrings, anyone heard of them at all?

I’ve fired off an email to Yeti, I’ll report back with what they say.

danieljohnreynolds

I’m ARC owner for the last year/18 months and just bought/upgraded chainring.  Good news is that the new SRAM sexy transmission stuff is all 55mm standard but yes if you go older, normal DUB but with 0mm offset is what you need.  The 0mm offset chainring itself is really tight to the frame (and only 34 tooth max I think) so if you go +3mm or worst then I would suggest the clearance would be too tight.

nickc

cheers @danieljohnreynolds, that makes sense. I’d need a new chain ring anyway.

danieljohnreynolds
    mmcd

I tried to purposefully buy a yeti Ark frame in October 21 being told it would be delivered  by the end of October. Come April 23 there was still no sign of it

Blazin-saddles

Strange how it happens eh? I didn’t even know I wanted one then a few days later this happened…

nickc

It’s weird, I rode one belonging to a friend,  and all of a sudden…

danieljohnreynolds

@Blazin-saddles that double AXS setup is very nice indeed, shows off that blingy Hope cockpit nicely.  I see your rear brake annoyingly (for me anyway) goes in the ‘wrong’ side too, did you ever investigating rerouting in the other side with no dropper or gear cable to go that way?   Also, what the tube (?) on the seatpost for?  Keeping the dropper shaft clean I presume?  Any good and why not a closed tube to protect/cover the whole way around?

nickc

Any good and why not a closed tube to protect/cover the whole way around?

Yeah I use one from The Shimano Pro range. It really doesn’t need to go all the way around, just stop the tyre flinging dirt straight at it. Really cuts down the service intervals.

oldnpastit

What’s it like? Not that I’m thinking of getting one, just for reference.

Blazin-saddles

@Blazin-saddles that double AXS setup is very nice indeed, shows off that blingy Hope cockpit nicely.  I see your rear brake annoyingly (for me anyway) goes in the ‘wrong’ side too, did you ever investigating rerouting in the other side with no dropper or gear cable to go that way?   Also, what the tube (?) on the seatpost for?  Keeping the dropper shaft clean I presume?  Any good and why not a closed tube to protect/cover the whole way around?

yeah, I love AXS have the gears and droppers on both bikes.

The internal routing on RHS of headtube exits somewhere weird from memory, the ARC has internal cable guides through the whole frame so you can’t just poke it out any hole once it reaches the headtube.  I’m sure there’s a route to be had somewhere but I couldn’t be arsed to sort it at the time.

The cut off inner tube was just a temporary measure on one day to keep the crap off the back of the dropper when I went to somewhere really gritty and wet, as I didn’t fancy my new £600 seatpost getting wrecked.

nickc

nickc

Done, Nice to build. shakedown ride later

Del

This place is going to the dogs.

Patio needs weedkiller and the shed wants painting.

Nice looking bike btw 😉

Alex

Looks great. How was the first ride Nick?

nickc

Patio needs weedkiller and the shed wants painting

mleh, I couldn’t care less about gardening

How was the first ride Nick?

it’s very smooth, front is buttercups I think, they work surprisingly well, rear is just reaaly nice, even over chnky stuff it just glides. Couple of snags, the crankset’s pretty stiff, I’m going to see if I’ve missed something there, and rear brake rubs a bit. Incomparable to the Scandal its replaced

Alex

Sounds good. I upgraded my Zebs to buttercups… I like it think it was worth it ;)

I’m not sure I could go back to an alu hardtail tho. That Scout I had was a lot of fun but it beat me up in a way the BFE doesn’t…

didnthurt

I’ve seen a discounted ARC frame in turquoise and now am struggling to not think about getting one. I hardly ride my Scalpel SE so could swap everything over.

Never owned a Yeti but have always fancied one.

jfab

I see no flaw in your plan, go for it :D

Love mine still, it’s great.

Blazin-saddles

I’ve seen a discounted ARC frame in turquoise and now am struggling to not think about getting one.

it’s how it happened for me.  Took me about 3hrs trying to talk myself out of it.

nickc

I rode a friends and realised that I missed riding a really sorted trail hardtail. Got a the 9point8 angle adjuster to make it a bit slacker and ruin the warranty on it, and I think it’ll be just about perfect

jfab

I was thinking about that for mine, I’m currently running it with stock geo but a 140mm Fox 34 and was thinking at some point of going shorter travel but slacker head angle. It’s entirely unnecessary I expect, but then so was the whole bike purchase really :D

Viewing 27 posts - 81 through 107 (of 107 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.