Home Forums Bike Forum Accidentally bought a Yeti ARC

• This topic has 106 replies, 43 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by jfab.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 107 total)
  • Accidentally bought a Yeti ARC
  • boxwithawindow
    Free Member

All my bikes are rigid right now too they are also all steel and each is heavier than the last. Which is the way I like it!

So I’m hoping this will be a spritely polar opposite to rekindle my love for carbon xc 29ers like when I first started racing.

boxwithawindow
    Free Member

Only without the racing.

pbooker1995
    Free Member

Great bike that is a pretty good all rounder for UK Htail duties.

Definitely on the list for my next HT.

2WheelsOnly in Tamworth have got stock of a Large Turquoise and Large Raw Frames from what they told me a couple of days back.

NormalMan

For those that like rigid bikes, I just saw someone post up a rigid build in MTBR forum too 😉 (Yeti section)

v7fmp

sorry for the old thread bump…. but i am thinking about an ARC to compliment my trail bike.

Is everyone happy with their ARC’s still? What sort of riding are you doing on them?

I recently did a local XC race (very casual) and my trail bike was somewhat overkill, so thinking an ARC might tick that box, along with longer days in the saddle, SDW attempts, XC bimblings etc.

Any feedback is greatly received!

NormalMan

Still happy with mine.

It’s been used for a variety of rides from ripping through the woods with a few drop offs etc through to mile munching (all the more so since my gravel bike is out of action).

Can’t complain at all!

v7fmp

@NormalMan – good stuff, thanks for the feedback. I assume there is little to go wrong with them? How does the paint hold up?

NormalMan

It’s been fine

I don’t transport it much as I usually ride from the door so can’t comment on that side of things but I didn’t frame wrap it and had no chips etc yet

I do run a front mudguard, a yeti padded shuttle guard under the down tube and my tool bottle in the ‘under cage’ which has deflected most things!

I know there have been a few with the pre 2022 frames that broke the small bolt that guides the UDH (design changed in ‘22 frames) but I’ve not had a problem. Some cases indicate that the heavier electronic Sram rear mechs haven’t helped in that regard.

It certainly would not be enough to put me off if I was buying again.

TheGingerOne

I have the previous generation and it is still my only mountain bike. I have no desire to replace it and no idea what with if I did need to. Running it for 8 or 9 years now I think.

I use it in the South Downs and prior to that the Chiltern Hills. It has been used up Snowdon, Bike Park Wales and a good number of other trail centres, plus the Tuscany Trail and a week with Basque MTB. Just perfect in my opinion as to what a modern mountain bike needs to be.

Finish wise, mines has not been covered other than the chainstay and it has held up very well in my opinion. A few marks and a couple of chips here and there. The underside of the downtube shows it has been used, but nothing that troubles me. It does get a lot of flints flying up from the South Downs, so is not ridden preciously.

v7fmp

thanks for the feedback! It certainly seems to be ticking many of the boxes i want it to.

chipps

Happy Yeti ARC owner here too (I paid money for it and everything!). I Invisiframed it from new, so it still looks great. After, I guess two years of ownership, I’m still delighted with it and it’s the bike I’ve been riding the most this year – despite living in a steep and rocky kind of place that should favour my Ibis Ripley. I reckon for familiar trails that you want to ride fast, it’s fantastic – even despite the ‘steep 1990s’ head angle’

I’ve been running it with a Fox 34 130mm, XTR shifting and Deore brakes. Love it.

nickdavies

I’m also looking at one to replace a couple of hard tails, I want something light and quick enough for marathon racing and long rides but capable enough for the descents on big days out.

They look quite short in the top tube to me – how do people find? I’m 6’2 and like a longer bike but trying to avoid sizing up. End up just perched over an xl frame normally, long arms and short legs here. The trend for longer bikes suits me much better.

NormalMan

If it helps they have plenty of stand over thanks to the slope of the TT.

el_boufador

Not a comment on the ARC but I hired a Yeti SB150c in Whistler and was very, very impressed with it.

danieljohnreynolds

Ditto here – got mine last August and love it – traded in my FS at the time and not missing the rear suspension for where I go for spins on it. Like Chipps I got it wrapped at the time too and I went for the raw/black finish instead of the yeti turquoise – much more understated (got the yeti grips)!

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

classic, i’m doing the same but taking the old school route in 26″ flavour.

i had a yeti arc from around 2005/8’ish some years ago as my lightweight long range bike, loved it, and always regretted selling it so quite fancying another bike to do some exploring on i saw a 2011 arc frame for sale the other week and grabbed it. slight prob is that all i have left from my original arc is the hope wheelset so now i’m on the hunt for 100mm forks, brakes, xt drivetrain etc etc.

boxwithawindow
    Free Member

Wasn’t the 2011 arc a 29er?

Blazin-saddles

I seem to have just succumbed as well. After selling my race XC bike I had an itch that needed scratching and a ‘bargain’ price on some Fox Factory 130 34’s saw me needing a frame. Got offered a great deal on a new ‘22 Turquoise frame so I decided to go for it.

Just need to decide the build now, had originally planned to use all the bits I’d got kicking around for a build, but the frame and forks are a bit nice for that idea now!

Regarding chainset, I’m reading it needs a 55mm chain line and I’m thinking about the wider axle Hope chainset (53.5mm) as I have a stack of the Hope/Enduro direct fit bearings here. Is the 55mm needed? Planning on a 32 or 34 ring.

NormalMan

From the FAQ section on the Yeti ARC page:

‘The ARC was designed around a 55mm chainline. Depending on the crank and chain ring configuration you can run other chainlines but you will have to do a clearance check first.‘

nickc

This thread is really not helping. Can you all just say how shit they are, and don’t waste my money? That would be awesome thanks

davros

PF30 bb might be enough to put you off #neveragain

v7fmp

@Blazin-saddles – may i ask who did you a deal on the frame?

Keep us updated with pics of the build!

v7fmp

after some further research, i see a fair few people have been struggling with the UDH bolt in the frame sheering off and Yeti not honouring warranty on it.

Has anyone experienced this? Looks to be a significant design flaw…. unless it has been resolved?

https://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomments/?threadid=227828&pagenum=2

NormalMan

2022 frames have been amended. Rather than the bolt there, now there is a carbon lip.

The cases I read had Yeti cover them under warranty.

desperatebicycle

Ooh, not a good idea to buy a 2021 model then! Saved by the thread

Blazin-saddles

PF30 bb might be enough to put you off #neveragain

They don’t have PF30 bottom brackets. They’re BB92. although I might be pushing my luck using the Hope bearings and 30mm axle crank with it. I have a good qty of the bearings though, so I’ll see how it munches through them, can always swap to a 24mm axle crank later.

@Blazin-saddles – may i ask who did you a deal on the frame?

Would rather not say as it’s a trade connection. but if you’re L or XL then Start Fitness have them at £1450ish

northersouth
    Free Member

How’s everyone ARC holding up?
    Was considering a swap from a full suspension to just the ARC as a one bike setup.

Have read a few reviews that say how compliant it is – do you actually notice that vs. other hardtails

NormalMan

Still loving mine. So much so I’m going to sell my gravel bike and just do MTB/anything off-road on the ARC. Then road bike for the roads obviously.

I find mind super comfy (but also way more capable than I thought). For reference I’ve had previous 29er HTs from the likes of Spesh (alu) and steel (Cotic and Surly) but the ARC is my first carbon HT.

teadrinker

This is a timely thread to come across. I ordered one on Friday to replace the gravel bike. This wil be for xc and gravel ride duties

I’m building with a SID ultimate 120 fork, should be enough for everything I need. Most likely GX kit.

Glad to see the good feedback, I’ll try and upload a pic once I’ve finished the build.

northersouth
    Free Member

Nice, what colour did you go for and from where? I can see a few shop are now discounting them a bit from RRP

teadrinker

I went for the Dom colour, like a silver I think. I love the original Yeti colour but a little to loud for me, this has hints of it still though.

Purchased it from Biketart for just under £1300. I was toying between this and a Spesh Chisel but the geometry just works better for me and I think this will give me more build options down the line.

jono111
    Free Member

Hi ! I’m confused about bikes right now. The Arc looks beautiful, specs are great. But can I ask an odd question to those who own it ? Is it fun ? Is it easy to manual, is it easy to wheelie, is it easy to bunny hop? Like my old Chameleon. These things make a fun bike for me, but people legitimately priories other things. I just worry that as bikes get longer and slacker, these things get further away….

Thank you, very interested to hear.

northersouth
    Free Member

How’s your ARC – what spec did you go with for the build?

jfab

Those that have bought a frame only – which I might just have done…

What BB are people going with? I know nothing PF BB’s so I’m in need of help & advice please – To fit a Shimano Hollowtech II crank (24mm axle).

kimbers

Pf BBs are pretty good these days ime

Can’t go wrong with Shimano

Best bet is wheels manufacturing screw together push fit, for ease of bearing change
    Wheels Manufacturing BB86/92 Outboard ABEC-3 BB for 24mm (Shimano) Cranks – Black

You’ll need the fitting tool too

jfab

Thanks @kimbers

I was looking at a Shimano XT as an option but I have heard good things about the Wheels Manufacturing parts!

Is this the tool I need? Appears you press one side in, and then thread/tighten the other side up to it unless I’m missing anything?

Wheels Manufacturing Wheels Mfg BB Tool. Double Ended. 48.5 – 44 mm

kimbers

yes thats how you do it, think thats the tool

kimbers

Im pretty sure I didnt pay that much for my tool though

If youre near Milton keynes I have one you can borrow,

jfab

I’m down on the Surrey/Hampshire border so a little way away but thank you!

Then I have the eternal Headset debate – Cane Creek or spend too much money on something shiny…

I don’t think I want anything colourful though, so maybe that’s a safe and fairly economical option.

nickc

hi my names Nick,  I appear to have accidentally bought a Yeti. ARC

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 107 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.