Home Forums Bike Forum A shambolic week with Sierra Cycling

• This topic has 482 replies, 219 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by Mark.
Viewing 40 posts - 441 through 480 (of 483 total)
  • A shambolic week with Sierra Cycling
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

daznal – Member
    Where is kiwidave from? anybody know

Swindon.

An interesting conundrum now. The thread continues, and seems to be continuing, and it’s hardly the best advert. SC can hardly ask for it to be pulled, can they? So, will it just keep running?

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

I’m more interested in which planet Yunki is from…

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

An interesting conundrum now. The thread continues, and seems to be continuing, and it’s hardly the best advert. SC can hardly ask for it to be pulled, can they? So, will it just keep running?

Odds on final number of pages?

whimbrel
    Free Member

yunki – Member

He has every right to warn others of his experience

I don’t agree..
    that’s my only point

That’s a joke. Is it? Are you serious?

Anyway for balance:
    These people have no right to warn others of their experience, or is it OK when what they are saying is positive?

toys19
    Free Member

TBH it’s not that bad for sc, a good few have said they don’t give a damn about the OP’s complaints. It’s actually an amazing thread. Despite me thinking it was bad news for SC it seems not so bad..

yunki
    Free Member

errp.. Al agreeing with me.. 🙁

I must go and scrub til dawn in a scalding hot shower..

I’m glad that it’s not panning out too badly though.. considering that SC seems to have a fairly good reputation prior to this, it would seem a shame to me that anyone would want to see a small family business get dragged down due simply to what seems like staffing difficulties and mechanical problems..

I’m sure that we all encounter difficult weeks occasionally..

druidh
    Free Member

yunki – Member
    it would seem a shame to me that anyone would want to see a small family business get dragged down due simply to what seems like staffing difficulties and mechanical problems..

That seems to be fairly standard fare on here whenever it comes to folk complaining about the poor service they got from small bike shops. I’m still not seeing why Sierra Cycling are a “special case”.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Me earlier…

deluded
    Free Member

Generally if I see a post as long as ‘kiwidave’s’ – I’ll give it a quick glance over and not much more, unless the thread is of particular interest to me.

I’m glad a read it. He clearly expended a fair amount of time and energy in constructing what comes across as an unbiased and critically thought out exposé of life as a MTB guide.

If there was ever a contribution to encourage a forum inspired piece in the magazine – this is it.

Best post in years.

benc
    Free Member

Any pics of mary? Need to put a face to dave’s flattering description

donsimon
    Free Member

it would seem a shame to me that anyone would want to see a small family business get dragged down due simply to what seems like staffing difficulties and mechanical problems..

I’m sure that we all encounter difficult weeks occasionally..
    It’s a business, no room for emotion, as a family business they offer family rates or market rates. If they can’t run a business, they shouldn’t.

grum
    Free Member

I don’t see why the OP doesn’t have the right to criticise – it’s no different to a review on Trip Advisor surely.

FWIW I don’t think the OP’s complaints were that bad, but it’s still not what you want from a holiday company. Certainly sounds very different from my experience with AQR in Luchon – I was only with them for a day’s guiding but they couldn’t have been more friendly, helpful and welcoming.

I guess if you have experienced very high standards elsewhere then these things can be pretty disappointing.

cynic-al
    Free Member

don simon – Member
    It’s a business, no room for emotion, as a family business they offer family rates or market rates. If they can’t run a business, they shouldn’t.

And this is one week out of 10,000 and they’re still in business?

I think they can run a business.

tazzymtb

uplink
    Free Member

Any pics of mary? Need to put a face to dave’s flattering description

I’m not sure I like the way that the business owners partner is becoming a target for ridicule in this thread
    the boss is fair game for criticism but I really don’t think Mary should be subjected to what is quite close to personal insults

donsimon
    Free Member

So Alan was right not to be bothered by this thread then. Looks like a win/win to me.

Lifer
    Free Member

I’m not sure I like the way that the business owners partner is becoming a target for ridicule in this thread

Agree with that.

Freester

I’ve sat here and watched this thread for days. Superb.

I think the thing that astounds me is

1) the 1st impressions Alan and Mary gave (if the OP is telling the truth)
    2) when there is a problem they let the customer know and impact the customers experience without managing the customer expectation.

plop_pants
    Free Member

I think SC have more than enough info to take on board from this thread. So give ’em a chance to use it and make improvements where needed. I’d hate to see them go down as a result of all this anonymous mud slinging.

cullen-bay
    Free Member

This is good, a rant at a new SC, here was me thinking Superstar components would have that covered for years!

soobalias
    Free Member

I will be mentioning this thread when i book with alan, just to make sure there are guides/transport prepared for my visit

the riding looks great, the beach is right there, i like spain anyway….

*clicks linky and grabs credit card*

whats the weather like at the end of february?

matt_outandabout

Can anyone summarise? I got to the customer not so happy bit…

althepal

Well, read through it all and yes, kiwidaves post is enlightening and honest. Fair play to him.
    With regards to the OP, I think she/he has every right to come on here and comment on anything they like, especially something bike related! I’ve read plenty of MC/Mrs MCs posts over the years and theyve always seemed reasonable in the past. It does sound like they didn’t have the best week possible, and if it was me paying money I’d probable say the same thing.
    In saying that though, using the word “shambolic” in the title kinda sets the tone for the OPs attitude to this in general. Yes, things obviously weren’t as good as they should have been but that’s not completely Alans fault is it? One of the things that folk seem to like about SC holidays is how chilled out they are. That’s obviously reflected in how they reacted to some of the issues.. What comes out of MCs posts is that they were expecting a tightly run, well oiled holiday and they didnt get it. Perhaps the mindset of the two parties are just too different and that’s what’s led to a public airing of dissatisfaction and possibly having the post of the year on our hands.

wonnyj
    Free Member

Freester, could you please translate point 2 into English for those of is who aren’t fluent in corporate speak or whatever that was? Thanks! 😀

honourablegeorge

cynic-al – Member

And this is one week out of 10,000 and they’re still in business?

As long as you’re not doing their books, eh?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Heh 😀

althepal

Page 13 yet?

benc
    Free Member

“Can anyone summarise? I got to the customer not so happy bit…”

….Customer not so happy cos had certain expectations of service (prob formed on past experiences) that were not met + Company not overly bothered cos have certain standards of service, which suit them and most of their customers = Extremely long, sometimes fun, sometimes serious, post from [to quote kiwidave 2011]”bores, geeks, crazies, weirdos and arseholes”

spanishbarry
    Free Member

Great reply Dave , I can honestly say the time I spent in yours and Johnnies company was always enjoyible and youll always be welcome for a cold one anytime you ever are back in Funky town ,I just hope the trails we built are still rideable , was a pleasure to have known you guys

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

can i just point out that the OP could have bypassed all of this hassle by manning up in the first place and going to the alps instead of spain.

😆

BigDummy
    Free Member

In fairness to Alan and kiwidave, if you raise problems off forum they explain it’s not their fault and that the problem is you. 😀

I’ve a certain respect for the attitude in general, but not much time for being on the wrong end of it when I’ve spent much pounds and haven’t had much of a time. Some airs of amateurish shambolicism are rather more charming than SC’s, and twice was enough.

slugwash
    Free Member

trailmonkey – Member
    can i just point out that the OP could have bypassed all of this hassle by manning up in the first place and going to the alps instead of spain.

I particulary liked trailmonkey’s stunning example of ‘manning up’ on our recent Alps trip when he got off his bike and walked down some switchbacks ‘cos it was a bit steep 😉

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I have to add that if I had got service like the OPs from a guiding holiday I had paid good money for they would have got a lot more from me. I would have walked and been after my money back. Hopefull I would have paid with a credit acard so I could.;

Holidays are a service industry. Its about SERVICE!

There is no excuse at all for crap service – I will never accept it. The customer is always right

donsimon
    Free Member

The customer is always right

Except when they are wrong. 😆

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I have to add that if I had got service like the OPs from a guiding holiday I had paid good money for they would have got a lot more from me. I would have walked and been after my money back. Hopefull I would have paid with a credit acard so I could.;

Holidays are a service industry. Its about SERVICE!

There is no excuse at all for crap service – I will never accept it. The customer is always right

100% right, Jeremy.

cynic-al
    Free Member

But what % of the service was not provided?

100?

Dream on.

Junkyard
    Free Member

The customer is always right

they are not but they are in the context of this thread.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I work in a service industry. I never forget it is a service we are providing

donsimon
    Free Member

I work in a service industry. I never forget it is a service we are providing

Where the customer client patient has the freedom of choice to go where? And there was me thinking the NHS didn’t want to be privatised…

cynic-al
    Free Member

Good stuff.

Viewing 40 posts - 441 through 480 (of 483 total)

The topic ‘A shambolic week with Sierra Cycling’ is closed to new replies.