Home Forums Bike Forum 650b+ (and other plus sizes if you like) – rim, tyre, frame, fork combinations,

Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 752 total)
  • 650b+ (and other plus sizes if you like) – rim, tyre, frame, fork combinations,
  • nemesis
    Free Member

So has anyone actually ridden a Spesh Purgatory b+ 3.0 in sloppy and/or claggy mud? Any good?

alexh
    Free Member

Nope but I can confirm that leaning a vee Trax fatty over on some slop was pretty useless.

That purgatory looks interesting

mattjg
    Free Member

A Butcher-lite would be nice if Spesh are getting into this market. 2.8 ish would probably do.

thomasgeorge
    Free Member

@Nemesis, not ridden yet, still waiting on the frame, but certainly looks a lot grippier than a trailblazer. Frame is due next week, all the bits ready to go on, so should be able to report soon after

alexh
    Free Member

Literally just got off the phone ordering the same. Not sure if it will fit into a 29″ fork…

Thomas George, what’s the max width of that? About 75mm?

cokie

Trying to work out what tyres to get for my i35’s to fit into Revs..
    I really want the Purgatory but not sure what the clearance will be like.

thomasgeorge- could you measure the width of your setup please?

mattjg
    Free Member

Likewise, Purg looks OK, thx for pics, a bit beefier than 29×2.3. If it clears a 29er Pike on an i35 I want one.

nemesis
    Free Member

Thanks guys – Think I may just take a punt on them since they’re reasonably priced (£45 unless anyone’s seen better).

How wide/tall is that set up, thomas (and how wide is the rim internal width)?

alexh
    Free Member

I’ve got revs and 38mm rims. I’m a touch worried the bulge may foul the tyre. I’ll find out soon enough!

45 pounds from my local spec dealer, much cheaper than the trax fatty

thomasgeorge
    Free Member

They were 75.2 measured with a digital vernier, and the Derby rims are 40mm external, about 35mm internal. They are on boost size hubs, but I’ll see if I can get them in my 29er pikes later, and report back.

alexh
    Free Member

That would be great. I suspect they will fit in pikes, maybe not revs though….

ianpv
    Free Member

Do 2011 revelations have more clearance at the arch than similar age rebas (both pre-black stanchion era forks)?

I’m just building a wtb i35/i29 combo, and have a choice of forks. If the rev would let me use a 3″ tyre I’ll go with that…

Also, what tape are people using for tubeless for these wide rims. The i35s are huge compared to flows which is as wide as I’ve gone before…

nemesis
    Free Member

Thanks thomas.

ian – you’re welcome to try out my wheels in your frame/fork though it’s maybe a little bit of a trek these days.

I just used standard tape but only for 25mm internal – for wider rims I’d just double it over I reckon.

alexh
    Free Member

Clearance at the arch isn’t an issue. There is a bulge by the dust seals that’s an issue

cokie

Yeah, they are the bit’s I’m worried about..

Alexh- mine are in the post. Do you have a set at home you could measure the gap on please?

mattjg
    Free Member

I’d say the 29er Pike minimum spacing is about 71mm, taken by eye with a tape measure at the top of the DS bump.

(Rats).

ianpv
    Free Member

Thanks Nemesis – you’re down Mendips way now aren’t you? I’m just back on the bike after an interesting summer of having cancer and major surgery, so maybe I’ll come down and join you for a nightride when I’m a bit more capable of riding without my heart, lungs and legs exploding!

nemesis
    Free Member

Yep and glad to hear you’re on the road to recovery…

I wouldn’t worry about pace though I’m not exactly a rocket these days and I’ll take any excuse for a break on the climbs ;)

variflex
    Free Member

Earlier in the thread I confirmed the purgatory on scraper rims (45mm) doesnt fit in std 29er pikes. Rubs on the bulges when turning due to flex. May work on slightly narrower rims.

Waiting for Rekon+

alexh
    Free Member

Balls, I suspect the revs will be worse.

Tyre shaving…….?

thomasgeorge
    Free Member

Well, I put the wheel in my 29er pikes, albeit not securely, as I had to remove the cap/spacer from the boost hubs, which probably made it sit a few mil higher than it would, but the 3in spesh purgatory did fit, just. Not a lot of room for a mudguard, or any mud build up.

mattjg
    Free Member

hmmm

let’s face it – that’s showroom clearance not trail riding clearance … you think?

mattjg
    Free Member

I guess tyre manufacturers are shooting ahead at upcoming B+ forks and ignoring the 29er aftermarket, which seems a bit of an oversight too me, it’s 29er riders that are seeding this market.

deviant
    Free Member

Looking at these photos the concept seems to be a solution looking for a problem….whats the point of tyres so tightly squeezed into the forks that they’ll foul up with mud on the first crappy ride?!

Didnt the last Mega winner do so by playing the conditions and putting 26 inch wheels in his 650b frame/forks for added mud clearance?

I reckon for it to work properly forks would need to have a radical redesign too…at that point things begin to get prohibitively expensive for most people….ditto the rear end of the bike, stays would need to become so wide to allow mud clearance that heel rub would be a common factor on plus sized bikes.

This is a part of MTBing that is just going to pass me by i’m afraid, i’ve never found myself lacking grip with a 2.5 Super Tacky Maxxis up front….and i’ve had the bonus of decent mud clearance to boot.
    It’s interesting to watch the early adopters and maybe this will sort itself out into some kind of affordable mass produced system whereby we all enjoy the supposed benefits of the additional grip on offer.

cokie

Still more clearance than the back of my T129 :lol: !

scotroutes

I guess tyre manufacturers are shooting ahead at upcoming B+ forks and ignoring the 29er aftermarket,

You can’t find expect manufacturers to break the laws of physics.

birdage
    Free Member

I had a rabbit hole and knard combination on the front of my Gryphon but it felt quite heavy and slow to get up to speed. It’s a much faster bike on some old Crests and a Hans Damph 2.35 at the front but I’m getting a blunt 35 built. That with a Chronicle has been fantastic on the Jones. Will probably stick with the Damph cause the Blunt makes it’s footprint look not that far off the Chronicle anyway and it’s slightly more speedy. Main thing for me anyway is mud clearance at this time of year. I wonder how some of the clearances shown cope with clag?

nemesis
    Free Member

Deviant – I think you’ve mixed y up the point of this thread with the concept of b+ itself. A dedicated b+ frame and fork won’t have clearance issues. This thread is about getting it to work in some combinations of 29er frames and forks that already have sufficient clearance.

As posted above, it’s clear that the fatter b+ wheels don’t suit many existing 29er suspension forks.

On the other hand several other combinations that still offer the benefits of plus size do work without clearance problems.

alexh
    Free Member

Thanks Thomas for taking the time to post that up. To be honest that’s about the same clearance as the Trax fatty.

tootallpaul

Anyone seen the purgatorys online anywhere?

cokie

Anyone seen the purgatorys online anywhere?

Cyclestore
    Hargrove Cycles
    Rutland Cycles
    Sigma Sport
    Pedal Heaven

Lots more on Google- search for ‘purgatory 27.5×3.0’

nemesis
    Free Member

Add Evans to the list.

I think I’m going to get one and only use it with the rigid fork (which has plenty of clearance) rather than with my Reba.

mattjg
    Free Member

What fork(s) are the b+ 3.0 tyres intended to work with?

nemesis
    Free Member

Boost models I expect but not certain – as I said previously we’re really looking at what existing ones they work on for this thread.

scotroutes

Yep – Boost front axles are 110mm and the forks are wider to give more clearance

tootallpaul

Doh.

Cheers Cokie.

I had looked a few weeks back and couldn’t find em.

Ordered.

Lets see how they look with the Solaris and the Sawyer.

I will be on two 650b+ bikes by the end of the week.

Cotic Solaris currently running Scrapers and Trailblazers, with an X-Fusion Trace 29er Fork.

Trek Sawyer running Asym i35 and Purgatorys with original rigid forks.

May try combinations of Trailblazers and Purgatorys.

And a Genesis Longitude running 29+.

I am a right chubby f**cker.

faustus

OK, so i’ve pretty much decided to try 650b+. I’m going to get a wheelset that will have dual duties in a rigid inbred 29er + Krampus fork, and a Parkwood with Reba. Both will swap between 29er/650b+ whenever I feel like it. I know some of you have used Superstar 25mm ID rims, are these wide enough? Especially as I plan to use 3.0+ on the front when rigid.

I’d need a wheelset with swappable front axle for both forks, and wondering if light bicycle/ICAN etc. wheelset is easy to get hub spares for, anyone have any experience? I really want SS to hurry up with the Alpine rims/wheelsets as that would be ideal…although i like the idea of a light and stiff carbon wheelset.

scotroutes

Wide enough for what? There’s no distinct cut-off to define when 650B becomes B+ . Think of it as a continuum. Whether a 3.0 tyre on a 25mm rim will give you enough +ness to make it worth your while is something only you can really define.[/quote]

nemesis
    Free Member

25mm internal are fine for 2.8″ TRs. I’m going to be trying them with 3.0 Purgatorys but I expect they’ll work. That said I’m sure they’d be better with a wider rim which I may go for eventually.

mattjg
    Free Member

I read of WTB sending out demos with 25mm rims with Trailblazers, and that’s what I tried, it was plenty wide enough to get a significant effect.

A wider rim would give more volume, a taller tyre (I believe) and the option of a lower pressure at, possibly the expense of less clearance and more weight.

Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 752 total)

The topic ‘650b+ (and other plus sizes if you like) – rim, tyre, frame, fork combinations,’ is closed to new replies.