Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 752 total)
  • 650b+ (and other plus sizes if you like) – rim, tyre, frame, fork combinations,
  • thepodge
    Free Member

prawny – I’ve seen people run a taper with an external bottom cup in the bizango, but I agree with the clearance, there’s plenty with a 2.2 but not sure there’s enough room for a 2.4

That was my thinking but…

—————————————-
    > From:
    > Subject: Re: sent from the voodoo website:
    > Date: Wed, 8 Jul 2015 06:18:19 -0700
    > To:
    >
    > That frame will fit straight steerer only.
    >
    > Joe
    >
    > Enviado desde mi eyepad.
    >
    > > On Jul 8, 2015, at 5:31 AM, matthew wrote:
    > >
    > > matthew () wrote:
    > > Hi, can you confirm if with the correct headset I could fit a taper steerer fork
    > > to a Voodoo Bizango. Here is a pic of the specific model / year.
    > >
    > > http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTYwMFgxMjAw/z/ts8AAOSwjVVVkmpM/$_57.JPG
    > >
    > > Thanks.

Having not seen it done first hand I assumed youd struggle to get the taper through the lower neck of the headtube

nemesis
    Free Member

thepodge
    Free Member

good point, self edited

Now I look like I’m talking to myself

prawny

@ Thepodge – This is from a post by clink on this forum a bit (5 months apparently) ago

@nemesis with a B+ tyre having a bigger contact patch, it should have more grip, so the front would break away first giving the bike a tendency to understeer? Possibly? But I’m just supposing, generally I fall off because I ride straight off the side of the trail and hit something or fall off the top of a berm 😳

thepodge
    Free Member

Ah well, I’ve gone for something a bit posher now. Slightly disappointed in Voodoo for giving me incorrect info.

prawny

I’m not sure, how much Joe Murray (if it really is him that replies) actually knows. I emailed the address on the website for something ridiculously simple like seat post size and they told me to contact halfords.

Something posher would be a much better bet, but it’ll have to do me until the kids move out…

nemesis
    Free Member

Kind of but do you drift your tyres normally? I’m not convinced that’s how it would actually work out.

thepodge – they’d be right if you’re talking about using an internal headset which is what the frame is designed for (assuming 44mm semi-integrated) – the Hope headset is a bit of a bodge isn’t it so that’s probably why they’re not aware of it or at least not recommending it.

prawny

I Like to think I do, this is how I like top imagine I look

But I’m afraid I’m more this style

nemesis
    Free Member

LOL – and that’s the thing – I reckon most of us don’t actually drift much at all.

thepodge
    Free Member

Maybe they don’t know about external bottom cups so I’ll let them off.

Halfords lease the name and stick it on slightly different bikes to meet price points if I understand correctly so Voodoo US might not know exactly what Voodoo UK seat posts are like.

takisawa2

A few pics of mine…Medium SIR.9.
    Knard on a Dually up front, 2.8″ TrailBlazer on a cheapo 30mm Alex something (from an Orange Crush) on the rear.

Plenty of room, so will be going for a 27.5 Dually at the rear after the hols.
    A Scraper would run too close. Doesn’t look like the Blunt is ever going to come back in to stock. 🙁

Ride wise, its great. I’m a big fan of the 29+, works really well.
    Running the front at 15, the rear at about 19.
    No problem with the lower bottom bracket, I just rotated the EBB the other way. Would love to get the Niner modified to run 29+ (or full fat..) at the back. Some major work involved in that though, so the Chinese carbon 29+/Fatty might be an option after all.
    Its such a supple ride.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/vWXjbr]IMAG0119[/url] by pten2106, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/wUjisD]Untitled[/url] by pten2106, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/wBkr7V]IMAG0134[/url] by pten2106, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/wBbh5W]Untitled[/url] by pten2106, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/wUjifp]Untitled[/url] by pten2106, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/wRvnCd]IMAG0124[/url] by pten2106, on Flickr

nemesis
    Free Member

OK, got an answer back from SSC on the rims :

Hello the 27MM version of the DS25 is 4 weeks away, and there is a 30mm version of a high end rim in 3 months or so. Plus we will have Alexrim Supera 35 (35 outside 30 inside) in 4 weeks too, DT FR570 coming back instock in a few weeks, loads of choice coming

singlespeedstu

Canfield Brothers Yelli Screamy MK2 will fit a Scraper/Trailblazer combo.

Pike will fit a Trax Fatty 2.8/Scraper.
    I’ve been told it will also fit a 3.0 Trax Fatty but not tried it myself.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/vYp6fD]IMGP0458[/url] by multispeedstu, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/wVNdsr]IMGP0461[/url] by multispeedstu, on Flickr

2Souls Quarter Horse, Santacruz Tallboy LTC and Canfield Nimble 9 will also fit the same combo as above.
    Though it’s a bit tight on the N9.

Trailblazer fitted to Scraper.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/wEaV9k]69mm.[/url] by multispeedstu, on Flickr

Edit just measured the Trailblazer again and it’s stretched over a few days to 71mm.

thepodge
    Free Member

Nothing particularly ground breaking from Superstar, I was hoping for a bit more

v9gss

I would imagine they’ll wait until this month’s 15% off wheels offer ends before releasing anything new.

chakaping
    Free Member

So I just ordered a pair of 650b tech 4 wheels with the ds25 rims.

25% off with code tech4aug until Sunday.

That’s £140 for the pair!

thepodge
    Free Member

that’s a good price but with a 25 rim I’d feel I was only getting minimal benefits of the whole system

v9gss

Beat me to it. I’ve also just ordered a set of DS25’s they apparently are releasing a 27mm in 4-6 weeks.

BruceWee

Not sure if this is of interest to anyone but how about some 24+

2007 Santa Cruz Nomad with 3″ Halo Contra tyres on 24″ 47mm wide Trialtech rims

prawny

That Canfield looks hilarious fun 😀

chakaping
    Free Member

I might be happy with minimal benefits tbh.

Want something I can still ride fast and i like what I’ve read about extra grip and fun.

thepodge
    Free Member

That nomad looks interesting, maybe that’s the future for 26″ frames.

Picked my Kona Honzo up today, just need the cash to build some b+ wheels now.

nemesis
    Free Member

It’s not minimal in my view. It significantly changed the ride of my bike. Ymmv of course but I reckon that 25mm works well and at least one person in stw who changed from a wide rim to a 25mm internal one said it didn’t make any noticeable difference

forzafkawi
    Free Member

Could somebody summerise the difference between 29er vs 650b+ in terms of say speed verses comfort/fun etc?

I’ve just bought an original blue Swift the same as nemesis’ but run it single speed. I use it mainly for fast, XC training rides round my local country park and think it is excellent. What would be the 650b+ pros/cons be in comparison?

thepodge
    Free Member

That’s surprising but good to hear from a financial point as some of the really wide stuff is silly expensive

v9gss

That nomad looks mint. Like a pedal powered pit bike.

How does it ride?

nemesis
    Free Member

Forza, for my experience:

Pros

– noticeably better over rough ground, particularly rocky trails

Cons

-heavier – nothing silly but there’s definitely extra weight over a normal 29er set up

According to strava at least, there’s no significant difference in speed over the trails where I thought it might be slower with the fatter tyres like bridleways, gravel trails. It also seems no slower in climbs. In fact I’ve set personal records on some climbs recently on it.

chakaping
    Free Member

How you finding the Trailblazers for durability Nemesis?

I’m pretty much decided on a pair but just a bit concerned they won’t be sturdy enough for my usual fast & rocky riding.

forzafkawi
    Free Member

Forza, for my experience:

Pros

– noticeably better over rough ground, particularly rocky trails

Cons

-heavier – nothing silly but there’s definitely extra weight over a normal 29er set up

According to strava at least, there’s no significant difference in speed over the trails where I thought it might be slower with the fatter tyres like bridleways, gravel trails. It also seems no slower in climbs. In fact I’ve set personal records on some climbs recently on it.

Thanks for that nemesis. I’m guessing the speed up climbs might be down to better traction offsetting the drag of the weight. One thing I have read that 650b+ is not good for mud which we do seem to get a fair amount of for a good part of the year. I guess that will be time to go back to skinny 29.

nemesis
    Free Member

I’ve only had them a month so too soon to really say on durability but they’re not showing any signs of abuse yet despite a reasonable amount of rocks being thrown at them while riding rigid.

Forza, the climbs I’m talking about are non technical so grip isn’t an issue. It is noticeable in step climbs that they have a lot more grip.

I haven’t really done any really muddy rides on them yet.

chakaping
    Free Member

OK that’s a positive sign.

Which part of the country are you riding out of interest?

Assuming you’re in the UK at all.

nemesis
    Free Member

Mendips so a bit of everything

forzafkawi
    Free Member

One more thing nemesis, some people have commented on the drop in BB height going from 29er to 650b+. Have you noticed any issues?

BruceWee

That nomad looks mint. Like a pedal powered pit bike.

How does it ride?

Really good fun. It’s almost like it was designed to run with a 24″ rear wheel. The bottom bracket height is about 14″ with 26″ wheels so the 24″ wheels lowers it to a reasonable height. Cornering feels much better.

Another thing I’ve noticed is that I get loads of warning if I’m about to lose traction in the corners but I’ve no idea if that’s because of the treads or the size.

I definitely didn’t build it for climbing but it’s surprisingly capable, especially on technical climbs.

It would be nice if there was some more (or any) tyre options. The tyres weigh in at around 1500g but the rims are only 564g. Here they are if anyone’s interested.

Who knows, if people decide they want plus size on their 26″ frames then we might see more options but I won’t be holding my breath. Until then I’ll be doing my tyre shopping at the unicycle stores.

nemesis
    Free Member

Going from my 29 spesh storm control 2.0 tyres to my b+ combo, there’s no change in wheel radius. My other 29er with 2.1 or 2 tyres has around 7mm bigger radius.

I certainly haven’t noticed any difference on the bike

v9gss

Can you get 26+ tyres?
    That I would assume would go in a 650b frame?
    May as well add another size

rOcKeTdOg

Had a PlayStation with a trek starches+ yesterday, they look ace!

andykirk
    Free Member

May I ask a two silly questions:

Let’s say you have a 650b frame designed for fat tyres…. (thinking Marin Pine Mountain) and want to enter a local XC race…. would there be any gain in fitting skinnier XC tyres (and possibly rims) to increase speed… or would this lower BB height so much as to make it a daft idea?

Does fitting 650b fat tyres to a 29 frame mean that you are still in effect running 29″ tyres?

scotroutes

If you’re going from a reasonably large 29er (say a 2.4 Ardent) to a reasonably small B+ tyre (say a 2.8 Trailblazer) then you’ll get a drop in BB height and in rolling circumference. Whether or not this is enough to affect you will depend on your riding skills/technique and the terrain you are on.

singlespeedstu

I’ve gone from 2.4 Ardents on a 29er hartail frame to a 2.8 trailblazer on the rear and a Trax Fatty 2.8 on the front.
    The Trax being a fair bit bigger than the Trailblazer.
    I’ve not noticed the drop in BB height. But I have noticed the slightly lower gearing.
    I plan on trying the same wheels and tyres in my Tallboy LTC.
    I’m expecting to notice the drop in BB height with this setup as it’s a full suss and also has a low BB to start with.
    I’m also thinking of fitting 165mm cranks to try and offset this.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 752 total)

The topic ‘650b+ (and other plus sizes if you like) – rim, tyre, frame, fork combinations,’ is closed to new replies.