Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 752 total)
  • 650b+ (and other plus sizes if you like) – rim, tyre, frame, fork combinations,
  • boxelder

I could only get 1 Trailablazer 2.8, so will build a front wheel first, with a Velocity Dually. Plan to build the rear on a V Blunt 35, when tyres and funds allow. Hoping they’ll fit the Scandal SS, Solaris and Tallboy.

nemesis
    Free Member

Charlie the Bikemonger had loads in stock a few weeks back

boxelder

Just despatched his last to me.

boxelder

Anyone know when WTB Asym 29 and 35 rims will be available?

officerfriendly
    Free Member

Are there any other tyres availible but the Trailblazer and the Vee Rubber one? Might consider doing a 650b build as I find 26″ a tad small and 29″ a tad big for technical riding.

boxelder

WTB have released a more aggro 3″ tyre. Pretty heavy though at ~1kg each.
    These set ups are only just smaller than a 29″ wheel though, and will need a 29er frame.

roverpig

Charlie the Bikemonger had loads in stock a few weeks back

Not any more he doesn’t. In fact I can’t see anybody who currently has Trailblazr tyres in stock. Either they aren’t making many or there is a high demand.

boxelder

Looks like Cotic are going for the WTB Asym rims.

tootallpaul

No go on the Turner Sultan with 2.8 Trailblazer and Scraper Rims.

🙁

jimplops

Tbh going off the review on 29 inches, you need a frame that’ll take a 2.4 in the back to give good clearance and it’s marginal with the scraper, which is why I went with a narrower rim, I’d say 35mm is probably best in the rear of a fs to get decent clearance.

tootallpaul

The Sultan takes a 2.4″ with ease. Its the shape of the chainstay yoke that causes the issue.

So, the Solaris is going get chubby instead.

The Sultan will remain 29. It meant I rebuilt it, and I’m really looking forward to riding it, plus or not.

thepodge
    Free Member

Where are people getting wide rims from. I want some that cost less than my car as I’m trying to do this with a limited budget.

Good to read that a 2.4 29er should give enough clearance as I think that’s what I’ve got

jimplops

I’m running Ryde enduro which are 29mm internal, but you’re probably looking around £100 for a 35mm and above rims, I went with those as I was concerned about rear clearance, now the codeine is built up I’d probably got away with a 40mm rim.

nemesis
    Free Member

Looks like I did well getting in early on the trailblazers with charlie…

Velocity Blunt 35 are about £60-70 but actually getting some is difficult. As in my OP, my 30mm rims seem to work fine but I can’t compare to properly wide (45mm+) ones.

As tootallpaul has found out, careful on assuming that if a 2.4″ 29er tyre fits that a b+ tyre will – the b+ tyres are wider closer to the hub than a 29er tyre and many frames have the stays profiled in a way that means they don’t really work.

thepodge
    Free Member

The frame I’m eying up has sliding dropouts so I’d like to think I can adjust the rear wheel position to better suit the frame profile.

Jossie

I got a Sun Mulefut built up by Just Riding Along, 50mm wide and pretty cheap.

thepodge
    Free Member

Balls, the frame (when sold as a whole bike) is fitted with 2.2, probably means 2.4 is going to be tight.

nemesis
    Free Member

It’s been a couple of weeks… any more numbers from anyone?

FWIW, I’ve been finding that 650b+ has given my Swift a new lease of life. I’d got a little bored of it (no fault of the frame, just feeling time for something new) but I’ve now ridden it by choice almost every ride recently.

The more I ride it, the more I’m finding how to get the best from the wheels.

I’m running around 18psi front and 25 rear – probably rather higher than necessary, particularly at the back but I’ve found that it means the bike rolls near enough as well as my standard mtb wheels (and Stava backs this up – scientific 😉 ) but even riding rigid over rocky trails, it feels like a very short travel suspension bike.

I’m still thinking that I’ll change the front rim to something wider (45mm ish) but waiting until more options become available at more reasonable prices.

letmetalktomark

I’m planning on 650b+ing my Skookum

My LBS have a Hugo for me for a front and based upon tyre plumpness on the rim will either go Hugo rear or a DS25/DL31 rear.

New fads eh ….

thepodge
    Free Member

Seems there is a big price jump for rims over 31mm

nemesis
    Free Member

Yep, that’s what’s holding me off at the moment.

nemesis
    Free Member

Incidentally, my 650b+ wheels are identical (well, within a mm) in diameter to the 29er wheels I had on before – that was with some fairly skinny Spesh Storm control tyres. Compared to a more normal sized tyre (Maxxis Ignitor 2.1 IIRC) they’re about 8mm smaller radius (eg it’d drop the BB by that amount).

boxelder

I’ve had a WTB Trailblazer 2.8 and Panaracer Fat B Nimble 3.5, both on a 45mm Dually rim and both fit in a RS Rev fork. Panaracer is more rounded and only has 3-4 mm clearance either side (before the tyre stretches). The TB has 7mm, but too flat a profile for me. The tyre wall bellies out beyond the tread. The Panaracer is lightweight and slack, so haven’t managed to seal tunelessly yet. WTB went up really easily.

prawny

Anyone know if a B+ will fit in the back of a 2014 Voodoo Bizango? As a side note, has anyone tried running 29er front B+ rear? MX style?

nemesis
    Free Member

I’ve done the other way around – 29er rear, b+ front.

I can’t see though that the other way round would be particularly good – the advantage of B+ is more at the front IMO, especially if you’re using a rigid fork.

prawny

I was thinking as a faux suspension type set up with a suspension fork, just to take the sting out of drops

nemesis
    Free Member

Yeah, I guess that would work but as I’ve found, other than weight, the b+ wheels don’t seem to be noticeably slower than my standard 29er wheels so I’m not sure there’s much point unless you’re really trying to save weight.

prawny

Not weight, just money 😆

Having never ridden b+, are they any more comfortable than 29ers? Basically, I’m regretting selling my full suss and can’t afford a new one

nemesis
    Free Member

Well, comparing a rigid 29er to a rigid b+, then yes, it should be more comfortable as you’d expect due to the bigger volume but essentially same diameter wheels.

It’s not a replacement for a full sus though so you’ll be disappointed if that’s what you’re looking for. Think of it more like a soft tail than full sus.

prawny

Cheers for the info, I might give it a whirl. I do prefer the hardtial 90% of the time, I could just do with a bit more squish when it gets bumpy or I find myself in the air for some inexplicable reason.

Plus buying one wheel and tyre would be cheaper than the going the whole hog to start with…

nemesis
    Free Member

I’d go for the front wheel in that case…

thepodge
    Free Member

prawny – Anyone know if a B+ will fit in the back of a 2014 Voodoo Bizango?

That was the frame I looked at but it comes with 2.2 and people are saying 650b+ needs 2.4 clearance as a rough rule of thumb. also told by Joe Murray that the Bizango will only take a straight steerer which means less compatibility with newer forks

chakaping
    Free Member

Thanks for flagging this thread up nemesis.

Dunno if anyone has mentioned – but Superstar have some wider rims on the way apparently.

I’m still tempted to go with the DS25s though, as I’d be using them in my existing 29er frames and space might be tight width-wise.

nemesis
    Free Member

Funny, I was going to email them to ask whether that was something they were considering. Have you got any more detail beyond that?

thepodge
    Free Member

Also interested in the Superstar info, especially if they are available as rim only

chakaping
    Free Member

sorry no, just read it in one of their emails or something

and in a review of the tech 4 wheels guy kesteven mentioned it too I think

chakaping
    Free Member

Drop them a line anyway – they’ve been quite open about forthcoming products when I’ve asked before.

nemesis
    Free Member

I’ve emailed them – will post back when I get a response.

prawny

I’ve seen people run a taper with an external bottom cup in the bizango, but I agree with the clearance, there’s plenty with a 2.2 but not sure there’s enough room for a 2.4

On the front v rear issue, I’m fairly happy with the front end, I could do with a bit more ‘cush’ at the back though, do you think I’ll have an issue with the extra grip pushing the front?

nemesis
    Free Member

do you think I’ll have an issue with the extra grip pushing the front?

I have no idea what that means… 😳

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 752 total)

The topic ‘650b+ (and other plus sizes if you like) – rim, tyre, frame, fork combinations,’ is closed to new replies.