Viewing 16 posts - 81 through 96 (of 96 total)
  • #TOTW- Be on time – or early – for group rides. Do the faff the night before
  • theotherjonv

definitely the patience for faff decreases once kids come along. If there’s a window for riding and some 20-something turns up late and then faffs because they only got in from the nightclub in time to change and come out again there’s amusement but not much sympathy.

Also see ‘can we delay until later because it’s drizzling’ texts 30 minutes before the agreed time…..that’s one thing that having kids trained me to do – if the riding slot allocated by SWMBO is Saturday and back by midday please then that’s when I was riding and you can tolerate all kinds of crappy weather if it’s that or nothing 😉

As for the late in ride mechanical or why don’t we stop for a coffee and bacon sandwich / quick pint….. at least at that point you can choose to decline and carry on home. In that respect, the group ride is a bit like sex; it’s lovely to finish together but sometimes you just need it over with so you can get home to the wife.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

If you think bikes invoke faff in people you should spend time with climbers.

God yes. Back in the early parenting days I had a meeting in Sheffield finish early once so stopped off at Burbage on the way home to Manc to do some soloing. I bumped into this group a few times as I worked along the edge, generally sitting about and faffing.

At one point I heard one of them holding forth on the fact that this was the fourth evening that week that he’d gone out climbing. At this point he’d done precisely two routes. I was on thirty something and reached my target of fifty an hour or so later

I couldn’t believe how little they were doing with such a lot of time.

Duggan

I stopped riding with a local road club because even though I liked the social aspect I just couldn’t bear the uncertainty. It was a bit wild-west though, the only thing pre-planned was the start time. Speed, distance, destination and size of group would all vary widely, often mid-ride.

I pretty much decided that I’m only interested in group riding on the road if there’s less than 5 people at that point and part of that was the multiplying factor of people’s mechanicals and lateness etc.

Having said that I once did a big ride in Yorkshire with a bunch of guys and it was remarked at the start how clean and well maintained my bike was and well organised I was compared to the others who all had bikes with various creaks and rattles emitting from them and were searching for their left shoe under car-seats etc.

Everyone’s bike made it round the whole day apart from mine when the rear mech exploded into my spokes somewhere near Skipton.

scruff
    Free Member

Winter group weekend away in the Lakes, stopping in a YHA.
    Everyone ready indoors with full Winter riding gear on.
    About to leave the YHA and the one who is ALWAYS late and faffing and stopping and chatting to strangers- decides that now he’s all ready and we are about to leave, that he now needs a poo.
    We wait while he does a poo.
    After some time he then appears robed only in a towel, to our questioning his obvious reply is that he always has to shower after taking a poo as his arse is so hairy.
    We wait for him to shower.
    Eventually we go a ride, where he rides in a tshirt when and its minus a million, turns bright red and continues faffing and stopping and chatting to strangers.

z1ppy

Social ride.. the time is when we meet, not when we set off. Though like Duggan I only ride with small groups, not interested in large group rides, as even I get annoyed by the faffing.

pistola
    Free Member

One of the guys in my riding group a few years ago was an nuclear-grade faffer. Came to a head when we were all meeting at my house at the time (Cumbernauld) to drive north to Fort William for a weekend’s riding. When he was half an hour late I decided to phone him: He was still out walking his dog. He lived in Hamilton (at least half an hour’s drive away). We stopped including him in invites for rides after that.

gazzab1955

We had a “faff” pub once, The Blue Vinny in Puddletown, whenever we met there to start a ride something would go wrong ….

After the worst day at work ever in 35 years, I rushed to pub for the Wednesday night ride only to discover I had left my front wheel at home having removed it to get the bike in the car! Said I would meet the guys later, never did as I went home and opened a bottle of Single Malt instead.

A mate turned up only to find his rear tyre had exploded along with the inner tube, his bike rack was a little to near the exhaust on his Landy. Called a mate who was on route and got him to go home and pick up a spare tyre and inner tube.

Same bloke turned up with a flat tyre and found his replacement tube was actually for his road bike.

Someone else turned up and had left their saddle and stem at home having removed it to get the bike in the car.

A mate who was always late wasn’t there at the appointed time so we rang him, “just finished breakfast and putting the bike in the van”. The ride started 45 minutes late as of course he had some faff to do before we could leave. After this ride we always told him the meeting time was 30 minutes earlier than it actually was. He never knew as he was still late on most occasions!

martinhutch

At one point I heard one of them holding forth on the fact that this was the fourth evening that week that he’d gone out climbing. At this point he’d done precisely two routes. I was on thirty something and reached my target of fifty an hour or so later

I couldn’t believe how little they were doing with such a lot of time.

Yeah, but it’s nice sitting on a flat boulder under Burbage chatting and soaking in the sun and views. Setting yourself a target of 50 solos or whatever sounds right at the other extreme. Sometimes it’s nice to just sit somewhere pretty and shoot the breeze.

Not really the same as having to wait in some gloomy forest car park with your bike ready to go.

MoreCashThanDash

In that respect, the group ride is a bit like sex; it’s lovely to finish together but sometimes you just need it over with so you can get home to the wife.

Genius…..

Sandwich

“No thanks, I had one before I left…cos we were due to be riding at 10…”.

Don’t have coffee at home and arrive early, problem solved. (Unless their coffee is vile stuff, them carry on as you do now).

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Bin dun:

Rule 57: // The Ride Starts on Time. No exceptions.The upside of always leaving on time is considerable. Others will be late exactly once. You signal that the sanctity of this ride, like all rides, is not something with which you should muck. You demonstrate, not with words but with actions, your commitment. As a bonus, you make more time for post-ride espresso. “On Time”, of course, is taken to mean at V past the hour or half hour.

bikerevivesheffield

Looking through this, I’ll glad I ride with my mates and not some in here 🤣
    Some of the comments are so lame

We ride at ISH the same time, decide on a route in the car park, faff, stop and chat, eat, ride a bit more but most importantly have a laugh and blow off steam. The grippy is from 28-52 – some with kids, some with not. Main thing is we are mates

onewheelgood

Mmmmm… Purest Green

swavis

Just came to post the same

kayak23

Oooh, I can notice it! 😊👍

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

This reminds me of the famous saying;

“The man who never misses the train spends too much time at the station”

Viewing 16 posts - 81 through 96 (of 96 total)

The topic ‘#TOTW- Be on time – or early – for group rides. Do the faff the night before’ is closed to new replies.