Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 96 total)
  • #TOTW- Be on time – or early – for group rides. Do the faff the night before
  • intheborders
    Free Member

I actually think the faffers and those who are late are a bit rude and clearly don’t value my (or indeed their) time.

+1

And applies to life in general. I am always early, for anything – and if I’m not going to be, somebody there will already know.

I use to have a Boss that was always late, so I adopted a 5 mins rule – if he hadn’t turned up by 5 past the meet time, I was gone. I’ve used this rule for +20 years now at work.

I also worked in Germany and they have the 15 mins rule – but I haven’t the patience to wait 15 mins 🙂

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academic_quarter_(class_timing)

Haze

They’re was always at least 10 mins of chatting, deciding on leaders, route, club announcements etc

Except the only time you’re ever late…

stevextc
    Free Member

Some people just can’t get anywhere on time.
    Used to ride with some people who were always late .. race meetings they’d be arguing why they should be allowed late registration. (and a couple of places they had a 30 min drive vs 2 1/2 hours for us)

Most people I think a wheels rolling tends to work better and especially as someone else said you have to ride to the meeting point.

stevextc
    Free Member

I use to have a Boss that was always late, so I adopted a 5 mins rule – if he hadn’t turned up by 5 past the meet time, I was gone. I’ve used this rule for +20 years now at work.

I also worked in Germany and they have the 15 mins rule – but I haven’t the patience to wait 15 mins 🙂

When I worked for Maersk in Denmark all meetings started on time. 15 minutes late would be a disciplinary matter and quite possibly dismissal. 5 minutes would be very badly taken.

If you had to fly/travel they would pay a day extra for you to be at a meeting on time by arriving the day before – no questions.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Tough love is often the best cure. A particular couple spring to mind. Always late for the meeting time so we switched to a wheels rolling time. They were still late for this. A couple of times, we’d already set off by the time they got there. They got better, but still weren’t ready on time.

What finally cured it, was them watching us ride away from the car park while they were still unloading.

jam-bo

The Vortex is a time portal that exists, like a black hole, to suck in about half an hour, pre-ride, every ride, for fitting brake pads, changing tyres, trying to find shoes, filling camelbacks, charging lights, feeding the dog and all manner of other faffage. 😀

you know Paul too?

DrP

Try having kids! (For those with kids.. you KNOW! )

ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA of time keeping… yet adamant YOU’RE the one in the wrong for stressing!

Tbh… I’m happier stressing about leaving EARLY, then stressing about being late.
    I hate being late for anything..

DrP

binners

Kids is the reason that our Monday Night Pub Rides start at what some people regard as the weird time of 8.15.

For ‘weird’ read ‘realistic’

jamesoz

Being late can be a bit of a wind up.

Not MTB but we had it with an ex colleague. If a colleague is kind enough to pick me up and drive into somewhere like London, I’ll be waiting watching out of the window or outside if it’s warm. If meeting at the yard I’ll be early.
    The ex colleague would need an ‘I’m here’ text or be late. If you wait, you could guarantee they’d turn up as you drive away. 15mins might mean a massive delay as traffic builds, not being able to get parked and eventually late home.

More MTB related I used to ride with someone who would often be late, not have air in his tyres, shock, whatever but would always want to do the shorter ride due to having to get back by a certain time.

Being late or faffage from time to time is being human, doing it all the time is being an arse.

jekkyl

I reckon it’s better to be slightly late and ready to go than be on time and then start faffing, coz no-one wants to stand around watching other people faff. To this end what I usually do is pull over somewhere 5 mins away from the meeting point to get changed and faff with camelbak. Then turn up 5 minutes late, jump out and ready to go.

scc999

Being late or faffage from time to time is being human, doing it all the time is being an arse.

Absolutely.

Having a mechanical or a puncture can happen to anyone. Turning up with a bike you know isn’t working without being there early enough to have a chance of fixing it in time to set off at the agreed time is ignorant.

Same as a couple of prev posters – I’m pretty much always early if I’m travelling somewhere on my own. If the other half is involved then we are occasionally a bit late. I hate that and it causes arguments.

However, we’re talking a few minutes and I’m always apologetic.

One group ride we kept getting text updates from a couple that were joining us that they were “a bit late”, then “stuck behind a tractor”, then “nearly there”. Nearly an hour later they arrived.
    We were freezing. I was thoroughly pissed off. One of them started to chat and faff, he got told that we were setting off in 2 mins and he needed to sort his shit out. He couldn’t understand what the issue was.
    I dont invite him on rides any more and only invite his partner on the understanding that I no longer wait for people that aren’t at least present by the time we are supposed to set off. It’s worked so far.

If you can’t be arsed to make the effort to get somewhere when everyone else is getting there, just say so from the beginning and there’s no drama. We’ll go on our ride and you can go on yours.

swavis

Ha! My freehub died on the way to our ride this evening. Ended up being 15mins late after running back home and swapping bikes, didn’t matter though as someone else had child issues and was also 15mins late. All kept up to date within our WhatsApp group though so nobody was hanging about in the cold.

stwhannah

How about on trail faffing? People who have to play with their layers, or their suspension pressures, or their tyre pressures (and they always need a gauge to do this, not a quick squeeze), or their layers again, or adjust their helmet straps, or dig out a snack, or adjust a seat post or brake lever position (probably with a tool that requires assembly and digging out of a pack)… at every gate, or top of climb, or turning… At least with car park faff you can just sit in your car and wait for them to get it over with, but on the trail you’re left hopping from one foot to another trying not to scream in frustration!

tjagain

Just as bad if not worse.  Just have your bike sorted and ready to go.  OK I am a bit obsessive ( who me?  could you believe it?) with bike maintenance but either you are ready to ride or not. sort yer bike out beforehand

FOG

You can have faffing at the end of the ride too. I once had a puncture about 10 mins ride 40 mins walk from where we had left the cars. The guy whose car I had gone in said he’d go and fetch the car to pick me up rather than mess about fixing the flat. He was so long faffing about changing and sorting his bike that all the others had left and I had walked back to the car park.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Jerry.
    Jerry was never late for a ride.
    However, at the top of every hill, Jerry would let air out of his tyres for the descent.
    At the bottom of every hill, Jerry would then top up his tyre pressure for the climbs.
    There was a lot of faff during a ride with Jerry.

tthew

Kids is the reason that our Monday Night Pub Rides start at what some people regard as the weird time of 8.15.

Did start at 8.15. Bloody kids growing up and gaining some independence means they start a bit early for me nowadays. The arseholes. 😁

theotherjonv

I had someone turn up to a ride late with no chain and a box fresh new one, and then expected someone else to fit it. She was late because she’d been to the lbs on the way and then wasted time wondering/arguing why they couldn’t drop everything to fit it there and then.

It’s not the worst job, but while it was being sorted she insisted on watching and learning instead of getting kitted out. More than doubling the delay.

Then to cap it all, the chain jumped like **** all ride, she sort of blamed the guy who’d fitted it, was firmly told that cassette and chain often wear together, and then she said that the lbs had said the same but she’d thought they were ripping her off.

reeksy

I did laugh heartily on boxing day this year when the biggest anti-Faffer in our group arrived after the 6am roll-off slot and announced he’d forgotten to even bring a water bottle for a 100km ride. I had to loan a bag and now have the opportunity to faff as much as I like for at least the next year.

13thfloormonk

and are always in a rush to get home to “keep the Mrs happy”

That might be a euphemism, hence the rush to get back 😎

Sadly rarely the case in my house, I just need to remember the famous war cry “Remember lads, if you get home early, they never remember, but if you get home late they’ll never forget!”.

Sadly for this reason coffee stops are a rare treat these days ☹️

cogglepin

I once took my roadie friend on his first mtb ride round a muddy trail centre, he had to keep stopping to take pictures of his clagged up bike to send to his Dad!

twonks

There’s a clue in the title – Organised Ride.

I’m in the ride starts at 10.00 type. Get there when you want but, we leave at 10.00.

Allowing extra for unforeseen circumstances is all well and good but as groups get bigger, there is a strong chance at least one will get held up through no fault of their own.

This leads to others getting annoyed and the group falls apart. Ride starts at 10 – one day at least I’ll be the one playing catch up, but for most of the time it’ll be great.

I prefer my own company 😂

whatgoesup

can’t be arsed to make the effort to get somewhere when everyone else is getting there

This sums it up for me.

alpin
    Free Member

Have a mate who, without fail, will always arrive with his bike needing some attention, adjusting or putting together.

He travels down from Berlin to Munich for a week in the alps or even Finale and its inevitable that at least half a day of the holiday is spent fixing his ride.

It’s not like he’s even got a full time job to worry about.

Does my head in.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I don’t mind a little bit of lateness or faffing in the carpark every so often, but I want to maximise my time on the trail in the time I have available between work, family and domestic commitments.

I despise avoidable faffing on a ride though.

Whats that? Your gears don’t index right? Should have looked at it at home. Brake pads need changing. Ditto. Surely you don’t need to adjust your suspension pressure for every single descent? The list is almost endless.

You’re stealing my ride time.

Pretty much, I dont ride in groups bigger than about 4 or 5 because it seems to be that beyond that number, some kind of faff critical mass is reached and you can be sure that something is going to happen.

guandax
    Free Member

Serial faffing 🙄….

Rider A stops for a faff, everyone waits and chats. Ready to roll and suddenly Rider B realises they need a faff – “won’t be a minute”. Ready to roll again and Rider C needs a pee!

Faffing should be a parallel activity!

Some rides, all I seem to say is “shall we go?”

tomhoward

I’m caught between 2 extremes.

My regular riding buddy is pathologically late. I have come to accept this, and plan accordingly, started factoring in 20 mins of lateness into plans.

MrsTH, also a regular riding partner, is mortally fearful of being late. And builds 10 minutes of leeway into every part of a journey (travel time, fuel stop, any other stops etc).

I’ve spent hours waiting to start bike rides…

Superficial
    Free Member

My riding group just has a tacit agreement that if we say we’ll meet at 7pm, we really mean 7.10. They’re always ‘late’, I’m always ‘late’ but we all arrive at the same time (7.10) and there’s never any faff. I’m never quite sure how many of them are aware of this protocol, and I don’t rock the boat by asking.

nickjb
    Free Member

Faffing is part of group riding. I can fondly remember many trailside repairs and incidents over the years. If I want to just ride non stop I’ll go out on my own. When hanging out with good mates I’d probably be just as happy to spend the time faffing, tinkering and having a laugh as going for the ride.

jimmy

Depends on the level of faff. I’ve had pals turn up with barely a rolling frameset to build into a bike for the ride albeit, it was a weekend away but still they had to build it on the Saturday morning while the rest of us were ready to go. Slightly taking the michael.

weeksy

I’m completely of the ‘it doesn’t matter’ type guy.

I have a riding mate who in the last 20 years has only turned up on time once… but 99% of our rides start at my house, so i’m sitting at home drinking coffee waiting instead of being standing round a car-park… so i really don’t mind.

I don’t ‘do’ the big groups… if i have a group of people riding, they’ve got kids too, which instantly brings instant faff time as kids are, well, kids.

I’m a lot less time poor than most though on here it seems.

tthew

…they had to build it on the Saturday morning while the rest of us were ready to go. Slightly taking the michael.

I’d have just suggested they catch us up at lunch time.

Blackflag
    Free Member

Our club rides are quite social and include a fair bit of stop and go. I’m actually quite grateful for it as it allows me to catch my breath.

But turning up any trying to undertake bike maintenance at the start of the ride is unforgivable.

prontomonto

Another bugbear: arriving at friend’s house, ready to go, and they insist on offering you a coffee. You feel slightly rude refusing, “No thanks, I had one before I left…cos we were due to be riding at 10…”. Then have to watch them make the world’s slowest coffee for themselves, and drink it, before getting their gear sorted. Probably obvious I frequently choose to ride alone!

jwt
    Free Member

The bloke who always faffed the most on our rides surpassed even himself when he fitted a cartridge BB in the car park before a ride once (BITD)…………..

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Faffing is part of group riding. I can fondly remember many trailside repairs and incidents 

This illustrates the fact that some people don’t understand what faffing is. Neither of those is faffing ( although a carside repair probably would be)

Things breaking whilst riding ( assuming a modicum of maintenance has been kept up) is not faffing.

An incident is not faffing.

( though they could turn into faffing)

arriving at friend’s house, ready to go, and they insist on offering you a coffee. You feel slightly rude refusing, “No thanks, I had one before I left…cos we were due to be riding at 10…”. Then have to watch them make the world’s slowest coffee for themselves, and drink it, before getting their gear sorted

This however is faffing, and is completely unforgivable.

I like to think that I faff in a considerate way because if I have something that I know that I’ll have to tinker with before we set off I’ll get there very early so I can be done by the agreed departure time.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

My mate is always late for everything, kids play a small part now, but he was useless before he had them also.

It isn’t unusual to turn up to his at the agreed time for a ride to find him mowing the lawn or washing the car because he had a ‘spare 10 mins’. Today was his finest hour, I was supposed to meet him 11ish for a ride in the sun, he messaged at 11 to say he was in Banbury (we live in Loughborough) and was finally ready to go at 4:45! I’d been and done by then, not waiting anymore.

scruffythefirst
    Free Member

If you think bikes invoke faff in people you should spend time with climbers. Especially trad climbers eyeing up a route they might find a little spicy.

didnthurt

It’s fine to ride with faffers if you have all day and aren’t fussed about making any particular target. But when you have a full time job, a family and time is limited and precious then I’ve no time to wait for faffers.

These days I mostly ride either early in the morning at the weekends or in the evenings mid week. Probably why I mostly ride solo.😁

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 96 total)

The topic ‘#TOTW- Be on time – or early – for group rides. Do the faff the night before’ is closed to new replies.