Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 96 total)
  • #TOTW- Be on time – or early – for group rides. Do the faff the night before
  • guandax
    Free Member

How best to manage the faffers you ride with: Leave without them when they’re late? Tell them you’re starting 15 mins before you really are? Chill out, everyone’s different?

100 Things To Slightly Improve Your Bike Life Without Really Trying

IHN

I used to ride with a group that had a ‘wheels roll’ time rather than a meeting time. That was the time the ride was starting, if you were late or faffing you had to catch up. Seems totally fair to me.

tjagain

I have a couple of pals who are dreadful faffers.  They tend to say – meet at 10, start ride 1030.  I reply – I’ll see you at 1025 ready to roll.  I do whatever is needed to my bikes at the end of each ride and check them over the night before a ride.

IdleJon

A few years ago, I had become very very bored of waiting around for faffers, so told our group that the proposed Cadair Idris ride would set off dead on 11am regardless of who was missing. I didn’t get my timings quite right on the drive up, and then genuinely got stuck behind a vintage tractor rally, arriving a prompt 40 minutes late. Thankfully, the boys took it in good humour.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Roadie clubs have it right, “ride departs at 9am”, and it does. No one is upset by this because there’s no expectation that everyone else will be happy to stand around waiting for you to do what they were organized enough to do 15 minutes ago.

And from the article; 29 and 37. You do have time, you’re not carrying too much, it is better for your local environment, society and the planet, you will get fitter.

BillOddie
    chakaping
    Free Member

As a reformed faffer, I’m now always ready to ride within a few minutes of arrival.

How best to manage the faffers you ride with:

Merciless mockery until they learn better. Never did me any harm.

Having a “wheels rolling” time might work for weekly riding groups, but it’s a bit anal for when you’re just meeting your pals for a ride and catch-up.

Bez

The view from the other side of the fence is don’t go riding with people who get mardy about a bit of faff 😉

lunge

I actually think the faffers and those who are late are a bit rude and clearly don’t value my (or indeed their) time.

Like many on here, I’m pretty time poor so if the ride is meant to start at 10am I want to be riding at 10am. If I’ve got 2 hours spare from 10am I want to be using every minute of that for the ride. If you’re going to faff, do it in your own time.

I also, somewhat controversially, apply this to coffee stops as well. Put the coffee stop at the end of the ride and those short of time can skip it without impacting on riding time. Coffee stops in the middle of a ride are wasting valuable riding time.

jam-bo

if you don’t know who the faffer is, its you…

JAG

Yeah, I tend to allow for faffage in all plans and just remember that we do this because we enjoy it and then I try not to be too much of a bear-with-a-sore-head about it :o)

matt_outandabout

@Bez – what if they are family though? some of mine, I tell you I could disown them…

hooli

We’ve started doing “ready to roll at x time” too, people can then work backwards for the journey and faffing. Obviously if you have a major issue you call somebody and more often than not people will hang back.

Especially at this time of year with the light fading and it getting cold, it has to be done.

Bez

what if they are family though?

I don’t ride with them so it’s not an issue 🙂

Come to think of it, these days I don’t generally ride with anyone at all 😂

lunge

just remember that we do this because we enjoy it

I quite agree, most of us enjoy the riding the most, hence trying to the maximum amount of it in the time allowed.
    Less faff, more riding.

jamesoz

Faffage/lateness is directly proportional to how close a friend it is in my experience.

Trick is wheels rolling time plus not be close friends 🙂,

Also every extra person adds a certain amount of time to a ride until time limits or hunger kick in.

I actually rode solo for some time because I couldn’t afford to waste a half Sunday on a 1.5 hour ride.

Social rides with lots of faffing that take ages are fine and enjoyable if that’s what you’re prepared for.
    Not so much in bad weather.

cheers_drive

Mountain bike group ride – start meeting at X, set off at X+15
    Road bike group ride leave at X

hardtailonly

To be fair, I do this with my solo rides! Don’t always exactly know what time I’m going to get a ride in on a given day, but usually have me and the bike ready so I can be out of the door as soon as the green light is given!

MoreCashThanDash

Not so much in bad weather.

Thats key at this time of year, no one wants to be stood around getting cold because someone didn’t do their faffing in their own time

Haze

Usually give a few minutes if I know someone is definitely coming as sometimes stuff happens, maybe keep an eye on messages.

Then roll out when everyone has finally decided where we’re going, if you still haven’t shown up by the time that’s sorted then you’re far too late. If you hang around for the truly tardy then they’ll never learn.

Been on both sides of this, only myself to blame.

tjagain

Mountain bike group ride – start meeting at X, set off at X+15

Non faffers turn up at x+ 14?  thats what I would do.  I am not going to stand around for 15 minutes while others faff

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I actually think the faffers and those who are late are a bit rude and clearly don’t value my (or indeed their) time.

This +1

The faffer only sees it as being 6 minutes late. But in a group of 10 that’s collectively wasted an hour of their time.

Bez

But in a group of 10 that’s collectively wasted an hour of their time.

What’s the going hourly rate these days for acting as a ride companion? 🙂

IdleJon

But in a group of 10 that’s collectively wasted an hour of their time.

That’s a weird way to think about time. If I go for a 2 hr ride with 10 friends can we each claim the calorie deficit for 22hrs exercise? 😀

binners

Faffage/lateness is directly proportional to how close a friend it is in my experience

Most definitely this.

I’m going to name and shame and mention the fact that when it comes to my usual riding mate I always build in what I refer to as ‘The Vortex of Swinney’.

The Vortex is a time portal that exists, like a black hole, to suck in about half an hour, pre-ride, every ride, for fitting brake pads, changing tyres, trying to find shoes, filling camelbacks, charging lights, feeding the dog and all manner of other faffage. 😀

BillOddie

I cunningly live near the best riding compared to my riding mates.

Means I can drink coffee or whatever whilst i wait for them to faff etc.

tall_martin

I was intentionally 30min late for one mate as he was an hour of faff and lateness late last ride.

He was the car ahead of me into the car park.

He is perfectly competent and runs a team that maintain. . £££££ machines  for a living.

I just don’t get why he can’t be on time for social stuff.

I lived with another mate at uni. I used to tell him we had to be somewhere an hour before we actually had to arrive. I’m not sure he ever noticed. We were still regularly late!

scratch
    Free Member

He who lives closest shall arrive latest

matt_outandabout

The Vortex is a time portal that exists, like a black hole, to suck in about half an hour, pre-ride, every ride, for fitting brake pads, changing tyres, trying to find shoes, filling camelbacks, charging lights, feeding the dog and all manner of other faffage.

OK – what is the *worst* faffage example you have?

I did have someone turn up and set about changing tyres as we were due to leave….

boblo
    Free Member

Aye. All well and good until one of the anal on time types has a puncture or other mechanical and needs help/spares/tools to repair it. He/she’s not that keen on rolling then are they?

BTW, I’m not a faffer. I am that anal clock watcher but tone it down due to the above as you never know when ‘it’ will strike…

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Faffing is a bit rude IMHO – do it on your own time, not mine.

I’ve known some world class faffers over the yrs. One bloke kept me waiting for 90 mins, that was was the last time I rode with him & pretty much spoke to him!

P-Jay
    Free Member

Confession time, I’ve never knowingly turned up for anything on time.

“The view from the other side of the fence is don’t go riding with people who get mardy about a bit of faff 😉”

Yeah, well sort of, I’ve got a few mates who measure their time out by the minute and are always in a rush to get home to “keep the Mrs happy” or whatever, I’m not completely intolerant to that, I’ve got a family myself, but if you’re going to turn up, hassle everyone to get going and then spend all ride tutting or saying “so.. we ready lads” all the time, I’d rather not. Group rides are a social event for me, if you’re against the clock, go on your own.

prontomonto

Number 1 for me is: don’t meet at someone’s house, or car park if they will be driving. Meet somewhere they must ride to – 1km up the road from the car park, or a convenient landmark midway between where you all live.. That way they must finish faffing before they set off to ride to meeting point for agreed time.

guandax
    Free Member

Yep, car starts are often a faffalance!

tthew

Roadie clubs have it right, “ride departs at 9am”, and it does.

Not the club I roll with! (although TBF they might have changed, not been on a roadie club run for a good long while).

They’re was always at least 10 mins of chatting, deciding on leaders, route, club announcements etc. so people started getting there 10 mins late so they didn’t get cold hanging about. Then the club announcements, chatting, route decisions were delayed until all the expected attendees arrived. 😠 Absolutely did my crust in and is one of the reasons I stopped going!

hels
    Free Member

If you hate phaff don’t move to Spain. I lived there for a while, we all met at 1000 for an MTB ride every saturday morning, which was followed by coffees, chat, bike sourcing and in one memorable occasion we all helped to fix a window in the cafe. Know your group!

swavis

Meet somewhere they must ride to

We always do this with our regular Tuesday night ride, we’re normally riding within 5 minutes of the agreed time.

binners

OK – what is the *worst* faffage example you have?

I did have someone turn up and set about changing tyres as we were due to leave….

@matt_outandabout
    – exactly that. I went round to pick him up in order to set off on a 30-40 min drive to meet the rest of the lads to find no sign of him but his bike upside down in the back garden with the wheels off sporting no tyres

As he emerged from the kitchen with a brew, like he had all the time in the world, he was greeted with quite a substantial amount of swearing.

I absolutely hate being late! I’m always organised so I’ll be at a meeting place well before an arranged time, so I’ve got a cushion of time and barring a disaster I won’t be late.

I believe in the what Alan Shearer refers to as Bobby Robsons saying about turning up on time for training:

To be early is to be on time, to be on time is to be late and to be late is totally unacceptable

kayak23

I’m terrible for being prompt. Try as I might, I’m just virtually never late for anything barring an act of Dog or something.

If someone says meet at half nine, I’ll be there by at least 9.15. I don’t obsess about time in the slightest, but somehow,I just am able to be on time and be ready without effort or thinking about it.

I used to get picked up for riding by a mate with a van. He’d say a time, and instead of him ever having to knock the door, I’d be at the end of the road, ready with bike and kit so he didn’t even have to turn off the main drag.

Now I’m the one with the van and always pick up a mate. We’ve been doing about the same every weekend for over ten years, and I still have to knock, he’s still not ready, bike not out, bag not out.
    I usually just let it slide but have to admit it irks me sometimes, especially as I’m doing all the driving, and getting the bike wash kit in as well.
    I just don’t get it.

I don’t think folks are intentionally rude or anything, but somehow their brains work in a way that seemingly makes it impossible for them to learn that you don’t enjoy waiting for them week in, week out.

ayjaydoubleyou

Not foolproof – our usual wednesday night ride I can ride to in 4 minutes on the flat. A few weeks back I got there and realise my bike wouldnt shift correctly (mech was knackered) as the gear it had finished the previous ride and the gear to ride on the road were the same. Chain had been lubed and I hadn’t noticed.
    After a few minutes of aggressively trying to get the spring to release I went home.

And last week I was just about ready to go, had bike ready and one shoe on, and someone came to the door. Sorry guys, 5 mins in the brutal cold waiting for me.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 96 total)

The topic ‘#TOTW- Be on time – or early – for group rides. Do the faff the night before’ is closed to new replies.