Viewing 40 posts - 641 through 680 (of 871 total)
  • 6 Nations
  • MussEd
    Free Member

The ref in the scotland game (Clancy) clearly said one more play so I reckon he'd have given a pen

That fanny would have given Wales anything to see them beat Scotland that day.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Interesting to hear Moore on refs, especially now he is one! The reffing of the front row is rarely good and usually awful. The IRB could do a lot worse than get the likes of Moore, Ibanez, McBride, Fitzpatrick, Wood, Ayerza and Castrogiovanni in a room together to sort it out! (Real front row players. Note the absence of any recent proper front row players from the SH. They've given up on real scrummaging IMO)

IdleJon

Wilkinson's drop-goal with nine minutes to go put England ahead for the first time but Tommy Bowe's second try of the match sealed Ireland's victory.

"It's hard when there are six minutes on the clock, you're there and you lose," said Johnson.

And a little voice in his head might have added "But we were only in the lead for 3 minutes!"

I think England's problem is right there.

IdleJon

Does anybody know of a website showing referee's stats ie matches they've reffed, results etc?

I found one a while ago, but can't find anything at the mo!

duckman

The restart in which game? It can't go straight into touch.MY reading of the law is that only a pen or free kick can.If you kick a 22 restart straight out,then scrum,line or kick again is the choice for the opposition. The other team does not have to play it,(i.e you can re-gather the ko)But they must have the opp to compete for it.I think the ref might have said there was no time for a restart?

A site with refs stats; please no! (not that I think it would extend all the way down to Scottish National leagues mind)

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I would say that it's about time there was a clarification rule/law on this issue. That's twice in 3 weeks now that it's been contentious. It's bad form to kick a restart straight into touch in order to win (or draw) a game, and there should be some way to award the opposing side possession of the ball, and given that time is "over", a penalty or at least free kick would be the way to do it.

IdleJon

So Wales have added Delve into the team, with one training session to go before the Irish game. Prior to this, he's had no contact with the current Welsh squad. Great! Look out for total miscommunication on the 8, 9, 10 axis then.

I wonder if Charteris can stop underachieving at this level this weekend?

And England seem to have gone for a dynamic attacking team with their changes……..oh, no they haven't, it's Treecutter Worsley. What are they expecting of the Scottish side then?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

🙂

I feel much happier. that's a team Scotland [should beat at murrayfield. Teh 3 Bs will give 'em a lesson in back row play. Moody was the only one with pace – Wurzel is slow IIRC?

He is obviously going to mark Parks out of the game I assume.

backhander
    Free Member

If the scots lost to the welsh, they have little chance against the english. I wouldn't hold out any hope for a victory over the Irish if you want to avoid disappointment.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Got a hat to eat Backhander? You know Scotland have the players to beat England – and when did England last win at Murrayfield? 2005 IIRC

Its a negative selection from MJ – he is obviously worried about the 3Bs – and has selected Worsley as a stopper to stop them going forward. The lack of pace is going to hurt England. If Scotland had not lost their stike runners to injury I would be very confident as it is I still have Scotland down as slight favourites as do the bookies

backhander
    Free Member

IIRC, you said that you'd beat france, italy and then wales.
    I'll take what you predict with a pinch if you don't mind TJ.
    Also, the bookies do not have the scots as favorites
    http://sports.betfair.com/
    http://sports.williamhill.com/bet/EN/betting/y/14/Rugby-Union.html
    completely the opposite in fact

anagallis_arvensis

worsley is shit, can we do that argument again?

backhander
    Free Member

Ah, but I can't retaliate with "powell is worse" because I doubt you care!

anagallis_arvensis

both very one dimensional.
    Be intresting to see how Delve goes this w/e. I am past caring about wales winning. England v scotland will be like watching to one legged men in an arse kicking contest.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I didn't say Scotland would beat France – just that first game was the best chance of doing so and Scotland had a chance. Please take that large pinch of Salt – without hopeless optimism a scotland rugby fan is nothing

13 Mar 10 – 17:00 Scotland v England Home 11/8 draw 18/1 Away 8/15

I don't really understand this but does it not mean that Scotland the home team are 11/8 on for the win? Have I misunderstood?

Why no foden? Looked like a real attacking threat and why No Steffon Armitage – he is a dynamic player?

backhander
    Free Member

I'm not a betting man but they're stating france as 1/150 and using the logic that they're favorites, it suggests that englands odds are better at 8/15 as opposed to 11/8. I may be wrong though.
    Agree about Foden.
    I'd also like to see Hipkiss instead of Tait.
    Disagree about Steffon.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

why No Steffon Armitage – he is a dynamic player

No. He is a pie eating waste of space with all the dynamism of a dead slug. Why he keeps getting picked is beyond me!

Scotland always save their (only?) best game for England, and it's the only time any of them really bother to turn up to Murrayfield (Compare with Wales getting over 60,000 for an evening game against Japan!). I'll stick my neck out and have Scotland to win that one by a smidge of a score.

Ireland v Wales? A dull game is in the offing, as both teams are goingto be afraid to open it up. Ireland by 5-10

France v Italy. Cricket score for les Bleus. Italy to score one or two glorious tries, though.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Ireland v Wales? A dull game is in the offing, as both teams are goingto be afraid to open it up. Ireland by 5-10

I suspect it might be a more interesting game than that. Ireland are by far the superior side so no excuses for losing…if it were in Cardiff, I might say 5-10 but they're around 15-20 points the better side.

Nothing like sending that knob Gatland back out of Dublin eating humble pie. I can't wait for his particular little war of words around tomorrow or Friday.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Ireland are by far the superior side

Oh, I'm not sure they really are by far the superior side, Darcy. Rose tinted glasses on again? 😉 If Wales can actually play a full 80 minutes, I would say that Wales are marginally the better of the two sides at the moment. The problem is…… 😉

I'd also very much like y Gat to shut the **** up, as it happens. That sort of rubbish being spouted before/around matches belongs to wendyball, not a real sport.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

If Wales can actually play a full 80 minutes, I would say that Wales are marginally the better of the two sides at the moment.

That's one of the funniest things you've said in ages.

Rose tinted glasses on again?

Nah, I'm hugely disappointed by Ireland's inability to perform to their potential, but being a better side than Wales is hardly anything about which to beat the drum.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

Gatland is a top bloke, he actually says stuff rather than emitting standard coach-talk.

I think Wales really are the superior side but they're definitely just not clicking.. I am becoming more and more convinced that my theory is correct; that Gatland is just using this tournament as experimentation.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I'm desperately fighting the temptation to take the Mick out of the oneeyedness of Wales' fans…but it's hard.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Oh and Gatland is a bloke alright, just a cock of a one.

rkk01
    Free Member

If Wales can actually play a full 80 minutes, I would say that Wales are marginally the better of the two sides at the moment

Unforunately, Wales seem to need to play for about 84 minutes at the mo.

Just managed to get tickets for Wales Italy though, so looking forward to that one.

hilldodger
    Free Member

So we conclude then that all the home nations are pretty carp at egg chasing and the only enthusiasm for the game is fuelled by the nationalistic jingoism of the non-English Brits 😆 😆 😆

duckman

The defining thing about the 6 nations this year has been the poor quality of the rugby.I am trying to get gee'd up for the Calcutta cup,but I already know it is going to be dull as hell.Still what are you going to do?

Pigface
    Free Member

Darcy Darcy Darcy you know that the Irish and Welsh sides are pretty close. 🙂 Think the home advantage will carry the game for your lot. How can BOD be playing didnt he get concussed when O'Connell clouted him. I wonder if we will manage to throw it in with any success. Delve is an odd one, plays great for Gloucester and is a good player, hope he has a good one.

England Scotland is going to be the one to watch, if the Jocks do win then what for MJ and it will put a smile on the face of Growler, actually if that man did smile then the earth may stop turning 😉

hilldodger
    Free Member

Still what are you going to do?

Anything but watch 30 men chase a leather egg round a muddy field for 80 minutes 🙄

duckman

Hilldodger; there will be beer involved and the chance to catch up with old mates,so what are you going to do?

hilldodger
    Free Member

Hilldodger; there will be beer involved and the chance to catch up with old mates,so what are you going to do?

meet them in the pub afterwards 😉

…Quizzed again about the significance of this weekend's Calcutta Cup match, the first Englishman to coach Scotland replied: "It's just another game….

Oh, so 'we' can claim the win whichever side loses the least, either by virtue of English players or English coaching, sweet 😆

anagallis_arvensis

to say ireland are a far superior side is IMO over egging the soufle somewhat. Ireland are better but not by too much. Player for player there isnt much in it, even less if wales were at full strength. Ireland have a clear advantage in the back 5 of the pack and midfield so should win and given wales poor form by a good margin, but a wales win wouldnt be a huge shock they are capable.

G Murphy; Byrne Wales
    Bowe, 1/2p Ireland
    B O'Driscoll, Hook Ireland
    D'Arcy, Roberts Even
    Earls; Shane Wales
    Sexton, Jones Wales
    O'Leary; Rees Ireland
    Healy, James Even
    R Best, Rees Wales
    Hayes, Jones Wales
    O'Callaghan, Davies Ireland (although Davies looks a realy prospect had a blinder v france)
    O'Connell, Charteris Ireland (a no contest)
    Ferris, Thomas Ireland
    D Wallace, Williams Even (two very different players)
    Heaslip, Delve Ireland

I make that ireland 7, Wales 5 Even Even 3.

Your right Gatland is a cock

Gatland, who was in charge of Ireland for 38 Tests between 1998 and 2001, also worked with O'Driscoll on last summer's British and Irish Lions tour to South Africa.

"I gave him his first cap, and it was an honour for me to be involved with him with the Lions last year to see how he has developed," said Gatland.

"I was incredibly impressed with his leadership and his understanding of the game.

"He was one of the main reasons (Wales centre) Jamie Roberts ended up having such a good tour.

"He deserves all the accolades, and I will be one of the first to stand up in the coaching box on Saturday and clap him.

"I am absolutely delighted for him and proud I have had an association with him.

"Brian has got natural flair, is a good passer off both hands, has got a step and fantastic pace.

"He would most definitely be in most people's World XV of the last decade."

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Nervous now…

Maybe a beer would help…. 😉

Pigface
    Free Member

Start is delayed by 10 mins, go easy Flash you might not make the 80 mins 😉

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

you might not make the 80 mins

Bit like the Welsh team, you mean? 😕
    😉

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

**** this for a game of soldiers. Might go for a ride instead.

Joubert's a prize bellend, though! That was never a yellow for Byrne, and then he casually ignores the same offence by Ireland to award them a penalty instead.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Seemed fair enough to me – he clearly has been strict and fair at the ruck making teams release the ball. Ref had clearly laid out his stall. Charvis agrees with teh ref at a half time interview

bruk

Ref really sharp on the breakdown, not releasing the player and the ball too. Think Byrne was sent off for holding on then knocking the ball out of Irish hands after. Was lucky to stay on for his 2nd cynical stupid penalty. Professional foul if ever there was 1

Score would be better if Sexton could find his kicking boots.

Now praying for a good 80 mins plus from Scotland.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Agreed, that second one really WAS a yellow! Stupid.

Ireland v lucky not to have a man off as well ,with the continual penalty count against them.

Rubbish performance by Wales. Rubbish. Not happy.

matt_bl
    Free Member

molgrips – Member

Gatland is a top bloke, he actually says stuff rather than emitting standard coach-talk.

I think Wales really are the superior side but they're definitely just not clicking.. I am becoming more and more convinced that my theory is correct; that Gatland is just using this tournament as experimentation

That's pretty hard to imagine, in sport winning and losing are habits. Playing badly and losing for the sake of experimentation does not sound like the plan of a sane man!

Viewing 40 posts - 641 through 680 (of 871 total)

The topic ‘6 Nations’ is closed to new replies.