Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 871 total)
  • 6 Nations
  • anagallis_arvensis

I think you can safely blame the ref for Vickery's lack of scrummaging ability in the first test. How a player can be penalised for standing up when his feet have been lifted off the ground is beyond me.

sorry but thats funny, not sure I blame the ref, things certainly turned around when adam jones came. no **** gonna lift him off the ground!!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Adam Jones = Legend.

WIsh I could find that great interview where he had a teacup and saucer in hand and basically just chatted away leisurely. So smooth!

Great to see proper scrummaging again, especially with Gethin and Ads leading the way. Then again, the Italians and Argentians pretty much rule the roost for the front row these days!

Still not the VietGwent, look you!

Pigface
    Free Member

Flashheart swear allegiance to Ospreylia 🙂 saw hilights of Leicester punishing Wasps, has given me sleepless nights. Looked very strong.

backhander
    Free Member

Yes, it was huge news actually.

No really it wasn't. "bet that hurt. that'll teach him" is about as far as it went.
    The ref has since admitted fault at the scrum on the lions test. So while you may not blame him, he does blame himself.
    CFH, Despite being english you support wales? O…K…
    I don't mind the outcome of the 6N as I see it for what it is; valuable training for the next RWC.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

CFH, Despite being english you support wales? O…K…

I'm British. In case you didn't spot what I said, it was "Half English…Half Welsh". See?

backhander
    Free Member

I'll make it easy. Where were you born?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Overseas. What of it?

IdleJon

backhander – Member

Yes, it was huge news actually.

No really it wasn't. "bet that hurt. that'll teach him" is about as far as it went.

Weren't you two arguing about this during the Lions tour as well?

anagallis_arvensis

I expect so. Backhander is one of those english fans that perplex me though as they cannot see what a fantastic player Gavin Henson is/was. Those tackles plus the huge hits he put on Lewsy and a prop white I think, were massively influential in the result that day. Henson played brilliantly from start to finish. All the talk before the game was how England only had to turn up to win and the new star was Matt Tait.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

You guys are getting all excited over 3rd, 4th and 5th place though aren't you? 😛

backhander
    Free Member

No, you're completely mistaken. It's the welsh paranoia that nobody understands Henson except the welsh. I get it, I know how good he was and you will not find me say a bad word about him. BUT it was only a tackle, the likes of which is seen week in week out in the ML and GP.

anagallis_arvensis

fair point 😥 do you think Ireland can get a grand slam this year? France look strong and you've got to go to paris.

anagallis_arvensis

BUT it was only a tackle

come on stick to the script, two tackles and a kick its all he ever did

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I don't think they can a_a…for much the same reason as you…

The first game against Italy will be a stuttering win for sure… 😆

We have Stade de France this year – not a happy hunting ground for us – though the current team has won there – so it's not like they have no knowledge of getting results there. Don't underestimate the relish of an opportunity to get one over on the French (there's a much bigger intersection of travelling fans between football and rugby in Ireland) though.

I think we could win any of the rest of them. Our front row needs some serious looking at. During the AI's (and a lot of the slam winning 6N), our scrum took a right battering, even though the line-out functioned very well…I assume that's down to something going on the front row that I don't really understand. If anything, and maybe this is green tinted spectacles, but it shows the quality around the rest of the team that with a battered scrum, that we drew and could have won against a good Australian side and beat the Boks, though our scrum did look much better organised for that game.

I suppose the team can relax a bit this year – without this unbearable yoke of the best Irish team not to win a GS – there were times in the last 6N that you could see it etched on their faces. And we all know, it wasn't the highest quality 6N ever, but all the same, a slam's a slam and believe me, they'd take it any way i came.

As for Scotland, I can see the excitement that beating Australia C has gone to their heads. I mean, fair enough, they're good at stopping teams scoring points, but they have an ever so slight problem scoring enough to win most of the time.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

come on stick to the script, two tackles and a kick its all he ever did

Dressed quite well too 😆

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

As for Scotland, I can see the excitement that beating Australia C has gone to their heads. I mean, fair enough, they're good at stopping teams scoring points, but they have an ever so slight problem scoring enough to win most of the time.

Damn – you noticed! If Robinson selects bravely and goes for the fast flair guys rather than the power backs then there is the potential. Without a stand off tho its always going to be difficult however.

Pigface
    Free Member

I dont think Ireland work without BOD and he is one more concussion away from some real problems.

anagallis_arvensis

James Hook beched for Ospreys this w/e Biggar preferred at 10 and Bishop and Sonny Parker selected ahead of him in centre.

Comedy gold of the weekend could be hugo Southwell playing 9 for Stade Francais 😯

anagallis_arvensis

So Byrne banned in order to placate the Leicester whingers and benefit the England team, great!!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

So who is going to win? Can Scotland continue their run in the calcutta cup at murrayield? Can Scotland get 3 wins?

final table – in my ever so humble opinion
    France
    Ireland
    Scotland
    Wales
    England
    Italy

Scotland have the best sequence of matches to give them a chance of a good series. First up France at Murrayfield. Might catch the French cold. Wales away – gonna be tough. Italy away – Italy will be targeting that for a win but Scotland should win. England at murrayfield. England will not fancy that so Scotland should win . Ireland away -another tough one.

3 wins is perfectly feasible and it might just happen.
    gonna be a other close six nations I bet. France and Ireland fighting for the win but grand slams unlikely. Not a lot to chose between England Scotland and Wales. Italy – well I want them to get a win or two – but please not Scotland this time. Italy have had enough generosity from Scotland in the past.

Can you all please have a look down the back of the sofa for a Scotland qualified stand off? There must be one somewhere. We will even have Cipriani. With a name like that he must have a Scottish granddad surely?

anagallis_arvensis

Wales are going to struggle against Engaland with Hook at 15 trying to catch Wilkinsons bombs, he also offers nothing in terms of attack at 15. Byrne is a massive loss. I'd go with your table TJ although think england will do well if they beat wales first up

69er_Gav
    Free Member

Anyone got an STW fantasy rugby leage going this year?

Signed up to the ESPNscrum one this year, seems pretty good.

I'll get a league started if its not already been done

http://scrum.fantasyleague.com

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I'd go with your table TJ although think england will do well if they beat Wales first up

I think you are right – England beat Wales they will do well in the rest of their matches. Lose and they will struggle all tournament. I think their confidence will be fragile but a win against Wales will make a huge difference.

Parrise injured will be a huge loss for Italy. I so want them to get a couple of wins.

backhander
    Free Member

France
    Ireland
    Scotland
    Wales
    England
    Italy

I think you're deluded.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Backhander -I am a Scotland fan. deluded? Never. No scottish rugby fan is anything but a realist 🙄

backhander
    Free Member

Well I think you're setting youself up for a major disappointment.

backhander
    Free Member

69er_Gav
    That'll be great.

Surfr
    Free Member

However, if Wales come out on top against England, they could continue on to great things. Welsh club sides have started to turn around and show some great rugby from the welsh lads. Also coming into the 6n as underdogs will benefit us hugely.

Surfr
    Free Member

Good call on the fantasy league too. I got an email from espn the other day and forgot to sign up.

anagallis_arvensis

backhander, why do you think TJ deluded? England and Scotland and Wales are all much of a muchness.

backhander
    Free Member

I think that the scots are making far too much of the fact they scraped a win in dire conditions at home against a 3rd Australian team who were also beaten by sarries and leicester.
    The loss of byrne is a biggie for wales and a shame as I enjoy watching him play.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Did the joke get missed?

Scots rugby fans are notorious for either extreme pessimism or optimism. Me – my glass is more than half full.

I do believe the 3 wins – France England and Italy are posssible – but I wouldn't bet my house on it. ( Or even a pint) It could easily be a wooden spoon for Scotland swell.

Scotland have some great assets in a mobile pack that can also scrummage well – tho Murray refusing to play on sundays will weaken the scrum a bit. A couple of really classy backs as well.

However here are also some glaring weaknesses. Lineouts have been decidedly hit and miss. No decent standoff being the most obvious but also a lack of depth in the backs. I fear for conservative selection as well with Robinson going for power over skill in the backs.

Injuries could play a real part as well. There just is not the strength in depth in some positions.

I believe England are very beatable. The forwards just don't have the speed to match the Scots – if ( and perhaps its a big if) Scotland can move the game around at speed they will get a lot of good possession and the penalty count will be high. Just watch them at the breakdown. Scotland can play effectively 5 back rows at once as several forwards have converted from back row to other positions. That should give an advantage at the breakdown while the props should ensure the scrum remains solid.

England appear to have some serious weaknesses but we will know a lot more after the first 20 mins against wales. For quite a while England have played well below their potential. Perhaps this is their year to reach their potential. Or perhaps it will remain the same leaderless team too scared of failure to try things. Borthwick is such a weakness as captain and as a penalty giving machine. IIRC England are going to have to use some fairly inexperienced props. That could go either way and Jonny Wilkinson at standoff just does not cut it in my book. Great in defense but stands too deep meaning he cannot get the backs moving.

France – leivramont should know after the experimentation of the last couple of years what the best team is but can he mould them into a team. first up must be the best chance of beating them. Some real class players.

Ireland – settled team with class players but can they rise to it again? It might be the last hurrah for this team or it might be a season too many.

Wales – are they the new France? Sublime and ridiculous mixed together. Which will we get?

Italy – missing Paraise will be hard and they are still short of a bit of class. I can't see them threatening much.

We shall see. I am really looking forward to it.

I honestly think the championship will be between France and Ireland with England Scotland and Wales really very close. I don't see this as Italys year to break thru to real contenders.

AndyP
    Free Member

I dont think Ireland work without BOD

69er_Gav
    Free Member

ESPN Fantasy 6 Nations

League Name – STW

League PIN – 5171

Simply create a team then enter the PIN to join the STW league

backhander
    Free Member

Jonny Wilkinson at standoff just does not cut it in my book

I disagree, but time will tell.
    What has changed for the scots so much in a year? last year they managed one win.
    Mobility in the pack does not generally go with strength, you pack down with 5 back rowers and you'll be pushed around the park. one of the brothers (evans?) and danieli (OK, maybe hines) are the only ones in the entire jock squad who would get a look in to either eng, ire, france or wales sides. They lack quality and have done for some time. My hopes are that the wooden spoon returns to its rightful home in murrayfield.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Backhander.

Ewan Murray, Nathan hines, Barclay, Stokosch. Kellock

What has changed for the scots? Hopefully belief and continuity. They beat Aus – england did not. England were woeful in the Autumn internationals – Scotland were decent if not world beaters, There are players that will be better for another years experience.

For sure they are short of quality players but look at the calcutta cup record. 2 each the last 4 years – games going with the home team. Its about playing as a team.

Where are Englands class players? There is hardly one I'd have in the Scotland team – for a variety of reasons. Apart from Cipriani or Flood. I'd have them at 10.

Wilkinson – he has always been overhyped in my opinion – he simply lies too deep in attacka nd often goes missing from first reciever. Never the player hwee was hyped to be.

However by all accounts playing in France has rejuvenated him. We shall see.

I did say scotland could easily get a wooden spoon as well.

backhander
    Free Member

You are wrong about JW.
    I wouldn't make much of the aus game, england played a completely different team. This was because the aussies believed that they only needed a 3rd string team to beat the scots and were very nearly correct. If the conditions hadn't been so bad i think they'd have beaten them. I didn't say you as are you are english aren't you TJ?
    I may agree with stockosch though, but no others (and I'd mentioned hines).

IdleJon

For quite a while England have played well below their potential. Perhaps this is their year to reach their potential.

I disagree. I think that England are playing exactly at the level that
    you'd expect given that they have a coach with no experience, a very poor captain who really shouldn't be in the team anyway, no world class 10 (apart from the National Hero obviously – is he fit?, is he injured?, oh please not again), and a set of backs who have forgotten how to beat a defender. Not to mention that the rest of the world has caught up and overtaken the forwards power that England used to rely on.

Once you beat England up front they have very little else, and they are very fragile mentally these days.

As somebody said, for all the teams the first game is crucial for momentum. Wales are going in with confidence. Even without Byrne, they have more than enough firepower to win at Twickenham.

I think Wales will win that game.

Scotland and Italy will be the spoilers, nothing more. Happy to win a few games and get in the way – in the best sense of the 6N. Scotland have France and England in Murrayfield, which they can win on a good day, and that may be crucial to the other sides.

France? Who knows. But at least we've got them in Cardiff. But they've only got two away games (Wales and Scotland). They must be favourites given the team(s) they can field. (Just checked, they are 6/4 favourites.)

Ireland? Hmmmmmm. Too old? I think not. Will O'Gara play, or Sexton? Whatever, they have the players to win it, but an immense amount of pressure because of the back to back thing. I think they'll buckle under the strain.

FWIW my own wish table:

1 Wales
    2 Ireland
    3 France
    4 England
    5 Scotland
    6 Italy

(Disclaimer – the above table may refer to senior, U21, U16, womens, 7s, this season or for any other season in the future.)

backhander
    Free Member

I agree with much of idlejohns comments towards england.
    Very few of the wales comments though 😀

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Backhander. I am a brit of English descent who is an assimilated Scot 🙂

Been a Scotland rugby supporter since the mid 70s.

Nae point in arguing about Wilkinson. He is a player that really divides opinion. To me a great place kicker and in defence but simply does not have the sparkle and guile to put get the backs moving. Fantastic if you want to play England 2003 style but that will not win against the best teams anymore.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 871 total)

The topic ‘6 Nations’ is closed to new replies.