Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 297 total)
  • 6 Music Schedule Changes
  • alanl
    Free Member

Presenters come and go. They need to move people on/around to keep the station fresh…….
    More Tom and Deb is a good thing as far as I’m concerned,

I dont think anyone is saying ‘less of Tom and Deb’, but there are better ways of achieving what they’ve done. Cut Lamacq off at 6pm (or get rid of him completely.), start Riley at 8, start Gid at 10, then you have 2 hours available for anyone else between 6 and 8, it doesnt keep everyone happy, but it is a good compromise in my eyes.
    The daytimes on 6 have lost their way IMO, Craig Charles is ok in small doses, MAH, cant stand her talking, LL is OK, though R4 is on for me until 9am, sometimes later if the post 9am programmes are interesting, so R6 is only on here in the evenings or weekend mornings and evenings, hence these changes have upset me, as Marc Riley is, for me, the best thing on the radio.

Del

There are people on STW though, who just want a radio station that plays round the clock Peel Sessions

They can be found for download…

thenorthwind

More Tom and Deb is a good thing as far as I’m concerned, but not sure I like the idea of an every evening ‘new music fix’. The reason most of us listen to 6 is that it *is* a new music station but mixing new with archive – as Tom does on his Friday shows – feels better to me than all new stuff.

I think you’ve nailed that. I like discovering new music and Marc Riley in particular has introduced me to so much, but mixing it up with older stuff gives it context and just works so much better.

hightensionline

This. Music exists with context, and that context is often the thing that gives it the extra emotional wallop.
    The Joy Division session on right now is the perfect example.

scratch
    Free Member

NTS2 – 2hrs of Thomas Bangalter picking his favourite influences for his latest solo record earlier

I’ll stop.

All shows available on mixcloud

pk13

Marc Riley is still incredibly into live music and bringing it to his listening audience.
    Gideon is ideal in his time slot.
    It’s Lamacq that is the problem not him personally I don’t think 6 music needs a “drive time” presenter.
    Early sat/sun with Amy then rad/Mac then Huey/Cerys is great
    Cerys pulls over 800k on a Sunday morning slot and plays every type of music.

Speeder

I don’t get all the hate for Steve Lamacq – I really like him.

For me also the daytime lineup is fine. I’m somewhat ambivalent about MAH as she does like some genres I just can’t stand, but generally I think it’s the strongest of any of the BBC music playing stations. I occasionally listen to R4 but there’s no way I’m listening to commercial, so it’s R1,R2 or R6 and R6 wins that contest hands down. It’s only in the wife’s non-DAB car that either of the others gets a look in.

Yes I wish Keavny were still there but I definitely like LL,CC, SL, MR & Gid and look forward to spending time with them when the opportunity arises.

b33k34

I don’t get all the hate for Steve Lamacq – I really like him.
    Yes I wish Keavny were still there

Does seem to be a lot of overlap for the people who do enjoy those two djs. whereas I can’t listen to either of them.

hightensionline

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/apr/16/britain-is-a-dying-nation-in-need-of-new-curators

The Tories’ scorched earth policy has wrecked our rivers, our NHS, our freedom of movement. Now even 6 Music is at risk

thenorthwind

Anyone else listening to Gid’s final show?

I’m not crying, you are.

hightensionline

Very dusty here. Sad, sad times.

Merak

Felt like the end of something good.
    I suspect Mr Coe will not stick the new job..

hightensionline

It did sound that way in that last link, really worryingly.
    The Wannadies as the penultimate track absolutely slayed me, don’t mind admitting.

thenorthwind

He’s used the words “give it a go” several times in relation to the new show… Somehow it doesn’t come across as terribly optimistic 😕

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

Nighty night, Nighty night Gideon.

I’m really going to miss his show 🙁

Speeder

I didn’t realise that was the last one – I’ll listen again. Really enjoy Gid’s shows.  He’s a great presenter and his music choices are pretty good too.

Shame when things come to an end but as one door closes etc etc . . .

shermer75
    Free Member

Listening to his show has been such an immense pleasure, I’m genuinely sad it’s over

hightensionline

End of an era this evening.

kayak23

Yeah 😞

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

Yep, such a shame 😞

goldfish24

Marc opened with “someone up there likes me” by Bowie. In his own words “ironically”.

thenorthwind

I thought Marc’s last show was the beginning of June, so was surprised to hear Steve Lamacq announce it was his last while I was in the car on the way to a ride. Sad not to have marked it in some way (no pun intended).

In more cheery news, I have to admit Deb Grant was playing some good tunes on my way home… May have turned it up louder than strictly necessary for the Dinosaur Jr session 😀 She’ll never be Gid, but will certainly give her a chance (think her show with TR will be quite different though).

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

Gid is the guvnor make no mistake 🤣

Deb Grant is okay but the BBC in all it’s stupidity have decided to axe 2 shows that were very popular with shows that just seem an odd mix right from the start 🤷‍♂️

thenorthwind

The well of Gid is drying up. Just 3 days left to listen to the excellent Bo Diddley beat special for instance: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m001l9yt
    Still can’t bring myself to listen to Marc’s last show.

zntrx
    Free Member

So, I’ve been listening to Marc on and off since Out On Blue Six. I have though been listening Tom Ravenscroft on catch up for a while.

For me at least the first 2.5 days at 7pm have been better this week.

hightensionline

Well we’re a week in, and it’s not doing it for me.
    21:10; should be Gid taking us on a journey somewhere far-flung and wistful, new or old, and yet it’s Amy Winehouse instead. Just spectacularly retrograde.

pk13

Asking on here as it’s 6music related..

When did they start playing drifty space type music behind the news broadcasters????

andylc
    Free Member

Early days and I’m sad that they’ve got less air time now but Marc and Gid are sounding great in my opinion. Plus the new show with Tom Ravenscroft is pretty good, he definitely deserves more air time.
    Unlike others, although I don’t love Steve Lurpak he doesn’t offend me and I don’t mind him staying

thenorthwind

Riley and Coe’s output squeezed and pushed to the edges because middle-aged-white-men… and yet according to his trailer, we’re getting an extra hour of Guy Garvey at the weekend…

I don’t actually mind him, TBH, apart from his interminable name-dropping, but still.

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

But Guy Garvey is so mind numbingly boring though.

Riley and Coe are still as great as ever – need more than 2 hours but hey ho.

hightensionline

I’ve finally refound the will to live after two weeks of the playlists from the xx member last month. Dull as ditchwater.
    It’s just a mess on there at the moment. I’ve found myself listening to streaming far more lately, which is a huge shame for missing new stuff.

scuttler

Iz disapoint this not a Steve Lurpak announcement ☹️

hightensionline

Him and Craig Charles know where Liz Kershaw buried those bodies 15 years ago. Cerys is in on it, clearly.

thenorthwind

It’s just a mess on there at the moment. I’ve found myself listening to streaming far more lately, which is a huge shame for missing new stuff.

Which is ironic given how hard they’re trying to be all about “new music” at the moment. Gid and Marc pushed out to make room for “new music fix”*, the recent new music all day thing, etc. I had to laugh when the Now Playing theme last night was… New Music. Creative. Hope someone got a slap on the back for that.

*incidentally, adding “fix” to the end doesn’t make it so that it was a problem to start with

tthew

I’ve been enjoying the artist in residence slots the last couple of weeks. Albert Hammond Jr has another week, (well 4 days) from 9pm this evening.

hightensionline

and yet according to his trailer, we’re getting an extra hour of Guy Garvey at the weekend…

Advertising the extra hour within Riley & Gid’s show is just sticking the boot in.
    In the words of Shaun Keaveny: “We saved 6 Music for this?” All things must pass, I guess.

fasthaggis

I am just waiting (excitedly)to see who’s slot Huw Stephens gets as a permanent gig.

Andy_Sweet
    Free Member

First order of priority should be to remove Mary Ann Hobbs from the airwaves forever

hightensionline

I am just waiting (excitedly)to see who’s slot Huw Stephens gets as a permanent gig.

He’s long overdue a permanent slot, for sure – in the same way that Tom Ravenscroft was for well over a decade. That’s what’s so frustrating about the changes; they’ve shoe-horned the evening shows in with a cheap to produce hour from 9-10pm, without tackling the elephant in the room…

First order of priority should be to remove Mary Ann Hobbs from the airwaves forever

Mary Anne Hobbs is just daft in that slot, in my humble opinion. I’ve listened to her for over 25 years, and adored the Breezeblock. The morning show just isn’t right, and I’ve struggled for so long with it. For the love of God, no more Nils Frahm!

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

Other than Riley & Coe, the whole lot needs replacing IMO.

It just seems like DJ chess at the moment – moving slots around when really they need to bring in some fresh faces.

Saying that, I’d be more than happy if Shaun Keaveny returned though 🤣

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 297 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.