Viewing 17 posts - 281 through 297 (of 297 total)
  • 6 Music Schedule Changes
  • doris5000

I just want to know who Richard Hawley has compromising photos of in 6Music management

Ha, yes.  John Grant was another one. Suddenly around 2014 it was like THE MAN, THE MYTH, THE LEGEND – JOOOOHNNNNN GRANNNNTTTTTTT!!!! about every 8 minutes.  I’d never heard of him before that but oh boy am I familiar with his work (which is perfectly good tbh) now.  Richard Hawley is similar – I don’t hate his music, although it’s not really my taste, but he does get an inordinate amount of hype. He’ll be hosting some shows before long, if he isn’t already

nicko74

It’s almost as if 6 have a vested interest in particular artists and will not shut up about them.

Yes! Very much this.
    I noticed it a few years back when they were doing “this year’s artist of the year is…” at the start of the year. Having decided who it would be, they then playlisted them pretty firmly, and at the end of the year patted themselves on the back of how this new artist had really broken through over the year.

Now with the artists in residence it’s a different approach; and it’s a great idea. But it feels like 6Music really sees itself as some sort of platform, or almost promo label, rather than just a regular radio station.

frankconway

I like Richard Hawley’s music – a lot; John Grant much less so; Hak Baker, not for me.

Why should 6music not give a platform to musicians who, in their opinion, deserve to be showcased – as either an established performer (think Hawley) whose latest release should be publicised or Hak Baker who is a relatively new voice with, potentially, wide appeal?

Can’t please all of the people all of the time.

Speeder

And yet when  Kendrick Lamar won 6Music album of the year I was gobsmacked as I couldn’t recall having heard anything from it at all – all year.

I wasn’t, however, surprised it hadn’t received much airplay on listening to it.

frankconway
    I like Richard Hawley’s music – a lot; John Grant much less so; Hak Baker, not for me.

Why should 6music not give a platform to musicians who, in their opinion, deserve to be showcased – as either an established performer (think Hawley) whose latest release should be publicised or Hak Baker who is a relatively new voice with, potentially, wide appeal?

Can’t please all of the people all of the time.

+1

No problem with giving platforms – it’s the sheer relentlessness of it that almost has the opposite effect for me and makes me never want to hear these artists mentioned again. Or whatever else they bang on about with every second breath

doris5000

And yet when Kendrick Lamar won 6Music album of the year I was gobsmacked as I couldn’t recall having heard anything from it at all – all year.

I wasn’t, however, surprised it hadn’t received much airplay on listening to it.

Yeah it is a bit sweary!  Quite frustrating that in general, 6 Music acts like hip-hop ended in 1995, with one or two exceptions (e.g Lil Sims).

Actually Loyle Carner is another one that I found myself wondering what kompromat he had on management…

llama

It’s how the industry works is it not, It’s not all about merit, even on 6 music.

But to be fair, John Grant _is_ the greatest mother f**ker (see what I did there)

Pook

Re Hawley. He’s ok. Bit of a miserable so and  so when I see him mooching about the park. It’s just not worth the god like status bestowed on him by 6 I don’t think. Maybe I’m missing something but I can’t get beyond thinking he sounds like the organist at Peasholm Park at times

CountZero

People are still whining about 6Music being no different to any British radio station over the last fifty years or so, as regards promoting certain artists they feel are worthy of it? As far as John Grant, 6Music was playing music by The Czars when it started in 2002, when John Grant was their singer, and were playing his first solo album ‘The Queen Of Denmark’ in 2010.
    Clearly people just weren’t paying enough attention… 😏

Tom-B
    Free Member

Loyle Corner is flipping amazing, his latest album is brilliant

paddy0091
    Free Member

The facts are that no other station has introduced me (and countless others) to some outstanding bands/singers:

A few that I can think of immediately…

Hannah Peel – need to see still
    Snapped Ankles – missed twice
    Preoccupations – missed in Nottingham, missed in Spain (snow cancelled flight), finally saw them at Hare & Hounds (Brum) last year. Mega
    Cherry Cheeks – need to see
    Bea Bea Sea – need to see
    Public Body – v small following but 6 gave them a platform. Saw at the Vic (Brum) last year.
    Warmduscher – need to see again, mega again.
    Chalk – first heard these two weeks ago and I’m sorting tickets!
    Bodega – V good live, new stuff is on point too
    Tim Hecker – need to see. Imagine this will be an unnerving experience…
    Temples – would see again
    Fat Dog – Band of the year already. The most wild gig…(Bodega, Notts). Honestly thought building was going to collapse..

They do have the occasional weird obsession though, I remember a few years back it was Kelis. I mean, she’s great of course and an outstanding singer, but they were going on her music over and over – for months.

Nick Cave is another, clearly a good writer (who has been through a lot of horrible stuff), but IMO he cannot sing, or hold a note. Regardless 6 will go on and on and on about him too.

As for John Grant being discussed ^, pretty sure I like only one song of his (Pale green ghosts?). The rest I have heard is terrible IMO and he too (IMHO) cannot sing, yet 6 always serve up a platform. Obviously got fans!

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

Nowt against 6Music pushing what they think is good music, but as has been said it’s the obsession they seem to have with certain artists which is intriguing.  No doubt some “perks” for doing so in whatever form that takes.

And Loyle Carner – he may be a great musician to certain folk but with the charisma of a slab of stone a DJ he is not.

fasthaggis

If it sometimes feels like too much of an effort,why not just give up,buy a nice big cardigan and tune in somewhere else…..Radio2 is —>> that way.. 😆 🤣 😂

frankconway

If you don’t like any/all of 6music, off you pop; there are lots of other radio stations.

It’s not difficult – for most people.

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

6musics daytime playlist is a bit meh.

Sounds way more interesting at night.

id have another radio station (it’s DAB so there’s plenty of bandwidth), playing the same 6music schedule, but with a 12 hour delay, just to let their listeners catch up, without faffing around on the bbc website.

Still no dedicated extreme metal slot on a Sunday 12-2pm, just for the skatepunks?

shame…

If you don’t like any/all of 6music, off you pop; there are lots of other radio stations.

It’s not difficult – for most people

Comments like this just come across as patronising at best and childish point scoring tbh

You can grasp that ‘most people’ are generally capable of having multiple channels and streaming services preset into their listening devices? And perhaps, in a thread about a particular radio station (that they obviously like some elements of, as they listen to said station), they are entitled to express an opinion about certain elements of the station that they maybe don’t like as much?

It’s a discussion, not an appreciation thread

For balance, I like Riley and Coe, don’t ‘mind’ Chris Hawkins, can tolerate Lauren. Round Table is often a good listen and I don’t mind Lammo. Used to really like Craig Charles, but found recently he can be a bit annoying at times. Also have discovered some great music I like. Mark and Lard getting back together was great!

nicko74

Nick Cave is another, clearly a good writer (who has been through a lot of horrible stuff), but IMO he cannot sing, or hold a note. Regardless 6 will go on and on and on about him too.

OK, there’s some reasonable debate on here, all points of view welcomed… except this! Nick Cave is rock royalty, and frankly doesn’t get enough love on most radio.

While we’re on the topic though, 6Music’s love over the last few years for ‘spoken word’/ ‘shouted nonsense’ is really unlistenable. I’m thinking Sports Team (at one point Brant’s twitter feed was just him complaining every time that godawful track came on 6Music), Yard Act and the various imitators of toneless bored sounding person saying/ shouting boring stuff over a backing track

Viewing 17 posts - 281 through 297 (of 297 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.