• This topic has 296 replies, 71 voices, and was last updated 1 day ago by nicko74.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 297 total)
  • 6 Music Schedule Changes
  • hightensionline

Apologies if this has been covered already:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/2023/6-music-announces-new-evening-schedule

On Monday 5 June, the UK’s most listened to digital radio station, with a weekly audience of 2.5m (RAJAR Q4 2022), will launch two brand new shows – New Music Fix Daily (Monday – Thursday, 7pm-9pm) and Riley & Coe, (Monday – Thursday, 10pm-12am) – with music and conversation at the core.

New Music Fix Daily will be dedicated entirely to new releases – the best of what is being made, performed and shared right now. Broadcast live from Salford, the programme will be presented by Tom Ravenscroft and Deb Grant, who will hand-pick and share their latest new music obsessions. Expect songs from any genre and from across the globe, as well as special guests, guest mixes and good company. Tom and Deb will be a familiar pairing to listeners, having previously presented Mercury Prize and 6 Music Festival specials together. Tom Ravenscroft has been a member of the 6 Music presenting family since 2010, and currently presents a weekly show on Fridays (9pm-12am) as well as his New Music Fix show (Fridays, 2am-3am). Deb has regularly deputised for Chris Hawkins, Gideon Coe and Now Playing on 6 Music.

Twitter reaction: https://twitter.com/BBC6Music/status/1643147378965323776

I thought 1st April was on Saturday…

CountZero

I’m failing to see an issue, none of the presenters are in any way contentious, they’re not really doing anything that they haven’t already been doing, so enlighten me as to the perceived problem.

Enquiring minds want to know.

goldfish24

Just today I explained to a friend I can no longer stand the daily schedule, but what I do enjoy is Marc Riley at 7pm.

Oh well.

The Riley and coe show should be good. The new music fix might even be good.

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

2 hours of Mark Riley followed by 3 of Gideon Coe is the highlight of Radio 6 IMO.

Gideon Coe is fantastic so to lose any of his time on the radio is just bollocks.

BBC seem intent on trying to fix something until it’s broken.

hightensionline

The issue is that the presenters are flipping brilliant in their own right, and should be given the amount of time they have presently; Deb Grant and Tom Ravenscroft are superb and deserve their own slots, not a makeshift Evening Session. Marc Riley & Gideon Coe both lose their shows; that’s originally 5 hours of radio condensed into 2 hours from 10pm-12am – it’s often the most vital part of the remit for 6 Music, both in regards of new and live music, but also in terms of eclecticism.
    In short, right presenters, wrong shows to change. In my opinion, of course.

jezzasnr

Even though I like pretty much everything he plays, I just can not listen to CC in the afternoon. Or any other time for that matter.
    MR,GC,TR & JSN are all enjoyable and play some great stuff. Far more exciting than many.
    Weekend line up is decent. Giles disappears up his own hole sometimes, I’ve got a crush on Cerys, and enjoy Huey.
    CC & Lamaq have run their course.

doris5000

If I was Riley or Coe I’d be feeling a bit hard done by here.

Personally I don’t care for Marc Riley’s show and I really like tom ravenscroft so that’s an improvement. I do enjoy Gid Coe tho so it’s a shame to get less of him. I’ll miss the Mid Point of the Programme!

You do wonder what comprising Polaroid photos Lamacq must have in a drawer somewhere tho. I don’t often catch much of his show, but my goodness the radio is back off again within about 5 minutes if I accidentally do.

rockbus

I’d just wish they’d move Chris Hawkins, can’t stand him! Not a great start to my mornings.
    In contrast I love Radcliffe and Maconie at the weekend.

Theodlite
    Free Member

Currently laid up with covid so listening to the radio.
    Had to switch to radio 2 as it was non stop drivel from Annie mac and jam today. More suited to radio 1.
    6music managementf@#£ing things up again.
    Only really listening to Marc and Gid on a normal day.
    Time to find another station.

alanl
    Free Member

2 hours of Mark Riley followed by 3 of Gideon Coe is the highlight of Radio 6 IMO.
    Gideon Coe is fantastic so to lose any of his time on the radio is just bollocks.

Exactly. Marc Riley is a must listen for me, he is so enthusiastic about what he does. His show must be one of the most listened to shows on any radio station in that ntime slot, he has so many people emailing and texting in. I despair with the way the BBc is run, that dork Steve Lamacq stays on air with his dross, yet Riley and Coe are relegated. It’s worse than being sacked, the Management have bottled sacking them, but given them a token show, which wont keep anyone happy. Coe has gone from 12 hours to 6, and has to co-present for 4 of those hours. It’s a kick in the nuts.

cakefacesmallblock

There was a truly alarming alteration to Craig Charles’ show the other week.
    Alarming for me because I get out of work at 15.00 on a Friday afternoon to begin my bloody dull 50 mile drive home.
    ‘Trunk of punk’ used to be broadcast at 15.15 on Fridays. Not any more, oh no, the bunch of funk or something like that, has replaced it. I can now either pop on radioX or drive home underwhelmingly buoyed up for the weekend.

andeh

It’s a shame. I say it every time this happens, but I don’t get how the other more….ahem…seasoned presenters get moved further to the peripheries, but Lamacq keeps clinging on.

Ravenscroft and Grant will probably be alright, tbf.

llama

Meh MR is good and that, he’s genuine and authentic, obviously plays what he likes and likes what he plays.

But TR is good too. It means in an inevitable and circular way, him and DG are the new Peel.

llama

SL will still be doing the indie guitar 6th form common room fanzine stuff in that slot when he’s in his 90s it seems. Either he’s more popular than you think or hes got incriminating pictures.

zippykona

I think they are trying to crush anyone who plays guitar music. We have radio 1 ,1 extra ,why the **** does 6 need to be another dance music station?

sharkattack

People ran out of interesting things to do with guitars decades ago. There’s plenty of exciting new ways to make music.

lunge

Middle aged listeners of Middle Aged radio in don’t like change shock.

Stations change, music changes, stations move with the times.

Personally, I’ll be glad if there’s less full guitar stuff and lots more dance stuff. Be good to have some newer music too.

hightensionline

Gid starting his show with Stereolab – We’re Not Adult Orientated & Pearl & The Oysters – Read The Room. Very pointed.

Personally, I’ll be glad if there’s less full guitar stuff and lots more dance stuff. Be good to have some newer music too

I’m not sure that makes sense; the playlist is dominated by new music. Huge amounts of it aren’t “guitar stuff”. There’s Absolute Rock for all that.

doris5000

On Sunday I was listening to Radmac in bed and they played Star Man by Bowie and talked for a bit about how great he was.

I went out for a bit, came back and turned on the radio to hear Guy Garvey saying “our next tune is Star Man by David Bowie. But first here’s Queen’s Roger Taylor talking about how great he was”.

That evening I turned the radio on while I was doing my stretches, just in time to hear Don Letts play David Bowie’s track Soul Love. Which comes 2 tracks before Star Man on the album.

I mean yeah Bowie was great and all, but for a station that goes on about new music so much, they don’t half play a lot of his early stuff! You’d think he died in 1979!

abingham

I struggle with Marc Riley personally, but like most of the other shows. Having said that, although I like Craig Charles’ Saturday evening Radio 2 show I’m less bothered about him in the weekday afternoon slot.

Giles, RadMac, Huey and Guy Garvey are highlights for me.

kayak23

Love Riley while I’m cooking dinner.
    Gid is great, what little bits I hear.
    A fan of Ravenscroft and Anne Frankenstein(Deb Grant) but, I enjoy them all separately.
    It’ll be a shame I think, although the duo of RadMac are sublime.

I’m increasingly favouring podcasts over six during the day now.

thenorthwind

One hundred per cent this.

I quite often put Gid on catch-up in preference to listening live during the day, I’m not up late enough on a weeknight anyway.

richardkennerley

I’ll be glad if there’s less full guitar stuff and lots more dance stuff. Be good to have some newer music too.

Tomorrowland OWR for you 😜

zippykona

In London we used to have Greater London Radio which was mostly people talking. Slowly more decent indie music crept in to a point where it was actually quite good.
    Then they rebranded it as something else and made totally certain that guitars were never heard again.
    What is it with the bbc and their hatred of guitar music?
    Thank god for Radio Caroline and NME 1. I can happily jump between the 2 of them.

kimbers

fasthaggis

Sad for Riley and Gid’s pruning,but they should give the 4.00 slot to Huw Stephens, (IMO) he is always excellent.
    Lamac needs chucked.

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

It’s nothing to do with fear of change. Riley & Coe play excellent music from emerging artists and they are both great DJs who deserve their own shows. The live shows that Riley does are excellent and the interviews are always good.

There’s plenty of room on R6 for a broad genre of music but sadly R6 seem hell-bent on narrowing this down to a particular style.

barrysh1tpeas
    Free Member

I love Marc Riley. So do his listerners. Really disaapointed BBC are at it again! Just leave it alone ffs.

I find TR dull/smug. Marc the polar opposite.

ElShalimo

The move is to clearly attract a younger audience but people in their 20s & 30s don’t consume music the same way as the middle-aged IT nerds on here.  Their new target audience have grown up with mp3s, internet radio etc so they have so much choice of stations with music more aligned to their taste. I don’t think it’ll work.

sharkattack

What is it with the bbc and their hatred of guitar music?

Young kids just aren’t growing up aspiring to be Jimmy Hendrix or Kurt Cobain anymore and this is a station focused on new music. 90% of new music is made on a laptop. People don’t even use modular synths anymore! Let guitars go. It’s OK.

zippykona

Let guitars go. It’s OK

…out of my cold dead hand.

sharkattack

Then let 6 Music go. Electric guitars are nearly 100 years old and everything that’s ever been recorded with them is on Spotify or Youtube.

Spoiler alert, there’s been nothing new since grunge.

joefm

I’m not sure I like any of them that much. Which is wherein the problem lies. Getting rid of keavenaugh was the start of the problems. The rest take what they’re doing to importantly. Did you know Steve Lamaq is solely responsible for indie?

zippykona

Still plenty of life left in guitar music.
    Don’t worry ,there’s an electrified keyboard to keep all you youngsters happy!

barney
    Free Member

Spoiler alert, there’s been nothing new since grunge.

You sounds *just* like the fuddy duddies you’re railing against, but looking in the opposite direction 🙂 There’s plenty of new, (*new* new) guitar music, same as there’s plenty of new, exciting bleepy and bloopy stuff. Grunge wasn’t even remotely new, FWIW.

ElShalimo

That’s a strong Rasputin look

sharkattack

You don’t need to give me music lessons I’m just being a bit facetious for my own amusement.

There are people on STW though, who just want a radio station that plays round the clock Peel Sessions.

zippykona

And don’t start me on the lack of music (of whatever genre) on normal telly.
    Where is the experience that we can all enjoy at the same time?
    Will there ever be a TOTP Sparks, Once In Lifetime ,Jilted John moment in a school playground ever again?
    Channel 4 should ressurect The Tube rather than celebrity snowman making.

IdleJon

And don’t start me on the lack of music (of whatever genre) on normal telly.

I was thinking this the other day. It feels like there were always a decent amount of music shows on TV as I was growing up, maybe not always to my taste but there nevertheless. I’m not sure when it changed, maybe sometime in the 90s?

Speeder

I think it’s sad that they’re cutting back and marginalising Lard and Gid. I do like Mark Riley a lot and some of the music on his show is great – I’ve caught a load of new stuff on there and his enthusiasm is off the chart which I think is admirable, if a little OTT sometimes. Gid is just sublime and while I don’t always like everything, I like enough.

I think the earlier programme will be great i like both Deb and Tom and think that will do well but I will miss Riley in the time slot.

I have to say I don’t get the hate for Lamacq or Charles, I really like them both.

I don’t think I particularly dislike any particular presenter or show. There’s the odd track here and there which irritates or grates and I don’t think we’re going through a particularly purple patch right now but as with everything, things change and time moves on. I love the mix of new and old and think it hits a pretty good balance. I’d hate for them to rebrand as a completely “new music” channel as that, for me, would ruin the USP.

I like the channel and am willing to put up with a bit of tinkering so long as it remains. It’s on for 12+ hrs a day in our kitchen/garage/office when I’m WFH or at weekend so it’s a pretty big part of my/our (family) life.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 297 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.