Home Forums Bike Forum 4 days in the Lake District.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • 4 days in the Lake District.
    phil5556

What should we ride?

We’ve got 4 days in October where we’ll be travelling back to Scotland from Wales. Being inspired by the Street Pigeon video of Grisedale Pike, we think we’ll probably head to the Lakes.

What should we ride as Lake District newbies? Hike a bike is fine. Max of 5ish hour days as we’ll have the dog with us so can’t leave him too long.

In a camper van so not tied to one area.

I realise the weather might scupper any plans…

All inspiration welcome! Cheers

timc
    Free Member

The loop Street Pigeon did is half a day max, which might be good for tired legs, many on here will tell you extended routes of the back / over the top of GDP.

Ullock Pike is always worth a go, especially if you haven’t done it.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Grisedale Pike

Well, that answers the first and third questions I normally ask on these threads.

Hike a bike is fine

And they answers the second.

Ullock Pike  ( combine with Blencathra if you are fit) Do Doddic j if you are shit hot)

4 passes

B’bash with extensions if you are fit for 4 big days)

Helvelyn double descending Seldom Seen and Birkside

Fairfield horseshoe if its dry and quiet

Nan Bield via Yoke and Ill Bell

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Cockpit to Howtown, Coledale Hause, Ullswater Bridleway for an easier day. ;-)

failedengineer

I am always impressed when people on here talk of riding Ullock Pike (and Nan Bield as well for that matter).  I’m no beginner, but they are both fearsome, particularly Ullock Pike.  I walked down it last week, thinking “I would die if I tried to ride this”.  Granted, there are some easier bits, but …..

stevedoc
    Free Member

Ambleside day 1  around Elterwater and Timberthwaite finishing around Loughrigg   Nice starter

Tover Stephenson ground  and Walna Scar day 2   ie: Tour Du coniston

Fairfield is ok for day 3 but I would head to Keswick for the Bash and Walla crag  . Finish at the George for 1/2 a cow pie and some liquid suppliments

Day 4 either Ullock Pike or do the loop of Whinlatter and up Grisedale and over causey and sail and drop Rigg beck   or Whiteless pike and Rigg beck  if you are feeling up for a final day epic .

As I was writing the above Ive started to question why im driving the 8 hours to Torridon for 4 days when the above is 75 minutes from my door …..

Tom-B
    Free Member

Not sure how well you know the area Phil, but happy to send you some van stopover recommendations if you’re unfamiliar with the area. Can’t help with ride suggestions sorry.

mrchrist

All of the above recommendations are great.

slowoldman

I’m no beginner, but they are both fearsome, particularly Ullock Pike.

Yes I’ve walked over that and fail to see how anyone can contemplate it on a bike. Mind you I’m a wimp compared to a mate who once did the Snowdon horseshoe with a CX bike. He didn’t ride it though, just put it over his shoulder.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

As I was writing the above Ive started to question why im driving the 8 hours to Torridon for 4 days when the above is 75 minutes from my door …..

Two questions:

1) 75 minutes south or north?

2) can I come? ( To torridon)

;-)

Edit to say I just done the maths, and you must be south of the lakes for both those to be true …

fathomer

thegeneralist list is what I’d be recommending. Definitely do Helvellyn, even if you don’t do a double!

@thegeneralist
    what’s the best way to combine Ullock with Blencathra without a massive road section in-between? And how full on is Doddrick, the contour lines are certainly tightly packed!

Sorry for the hijack.

lowey

what’s the best way to combine Ullock with Blencathra without a massive road section in-between? And how full on is Doddrick, the contour lines are certainly tightly packed!

The Cycle path between Keswick Swimming pool and Threlkeld is your answer. That or along Lonscale crag and down Glenderaterra.

Doddick is about as full on as you can get in the lakes. MR have taken off a couple of MTB’er from that decent in the last couple of years.

stevedoc
    Free Member

@thegeneralist     Im just off the m60 so up the Lakes on a 6am dart can have me in Keswick (A66 speed van not included )in  1h40   Staveley  1h dead so. up upwards   .   Torridon was done of googlemaps  told me 7h 45m . That side even riding to work this morning this thread was in my head and the whole should I just do a lakes weekender instead .

Helvellyn up kepple and back via Seldom  ..quick road blast and up from Hartsop then Angle tarn and Boredale house ? I think Trail finder did this not long again.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

The Cycle path between Keswick Swimming pool and Threlkeld is your answer. That or along Lonscale crag and down Glenderaterra

Agreed on both.  Just realised that I didn’t do Skiddaw and Blencathra on the same day. I went round Skiddaw and Blencathra then up Skiddaw one day. Then at another point did a double up Blencathra. ( First descent to the north was a bit meh,) I have to admit that doing them both on the same day would be way beyond me these days.

Basically you’d need to do a figure of eight as the Skiddaw route is anti clockwise and the Blencathra route is clockwise but Skiddaw is to the west.

Doddick is well hard. A different level to Ullock IMHO. I should have used bold in my comment:

Do Doddic j if you are shit hot

PXL_20221113_142925108-2

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Helvellyn up kepple and back via Seldom ..quick road blast and up from Hartsop then Angle tarn and Boredale house ? I think Trail finder did this not long again.

Interesting option. Never been to that Angle Tarn.  The reason I mentioned Boredale from the north is that the route up Boredale itself is almost all rideable, and the Ullswater BW is amazing if you like slow gnadgery tech so it makes a good loop.

If you need a shorter SS route then going up Sticks East to the mine plateau is reasonably rideable ( but of course doesn’t get you anywhere near the ridge, let alone the summit)

SS is good, but it’s worth saying that it is nowhere near as techie as Birkside or Dolly waggon. Much more flow though. …

chakaping

I am always impressed when people on here talk of riding Ullock Pike (and Nan Bield as well for that matter).

Nan Bield is not too techy, I can clean it and I’m no riding god. Ullock has much tougher sections.

thegeneralist list is what I’d be recommending.

Not sure he read the stipulation about max ride length though.

A few ideas:

– Helvellyn, probably from Glenridding – up Keppel Cove and down Dollywaggon & Grisedale Tarn descent.

– Borrowdale Bash including Walla Crag.

– Warnscale Bottom loop (up through Honister mine works) from Buttermere.

– Skiddaw & Ullock PIke.

– Blencathra, to Scales Tarn, then Lonscale Fell loop.

All mid-sized rides if you’re in reasonable shape.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Not sure he read the stipulation about max ride length though.

Good point, mea culpa.

hooli

I’d agree with Borrowdale Bash including Walla Crag, also High street/Nan Bield is great for big views and descents.

scruff
    Free Member

bookmarking for future reference

TomB

Coming to the Lakes at any time of year (evidence- weather right now) can involve very wet and very windy weather. For these circumstances it’s worth having some low and mid level routes in mind:

In my bit of North Lakes:

Borrowdale bash will go in any weather

Back of skiddaw/lonscale bw route

Loweswater shore and corpse road under burnbank fell, then back of melbreak and down to crummock/buttermere

Dale head tarn – high spy-maiden moor

Whinlatter

Higher routes I like:

Blencathra traverse west to east

Skiddaw/ullock pike as mentioned

Up Grisedale Pike from whinlatter south and across to Hopegill Head, then Whiteless Pike and Rannerdale descent to Crummock

Lots of Hellvelyn combinations- a great place to be on a nice day

Langstrath (west of river) to Stake pass, angle tarn, esk hause then either sty head or grains gill down to seatoller

johnx2
    Free Member

Reading with interest for ideas but may as well chuck in an oar…

Maybe for a more XC type round the Walna Scar descent to Coniston, up via Stephenson Ground and shoulder of White Pike?

On a few of those mentioned:

Helvelyn and Seldom Seen – absolutely

Grizedale Pike plus as many of the NW fells as you can fit into a ride. Winlatter on the way down.

I like the Kentmere Horseshoe, up via Dubbs Res, dowm via HP Plantation after wander towards Longsleddale.

Skidaw round – up via the BW. Ullock pike is okay for a shite rider, I can confirm, as long as you’re happy walking the odd bit. Then big country round the back via Skidaw House and Lonscale Fell.

All five hours ish I think, I’ll leave it there…

phil5556

Wow thanks, great info. Will go through it all when I get a chance.

And yes some low level ideas also welcome.

We might actually only get 2 days riding in this trip but definitely won’t be the only time we visit, so lots of options very welcome!

boxelder

Cockpit to Howtown, Coledale Hause, Ullswater Bridleway for an easier day. ;-)

Easier day?? – you must mean Boredale Hause……..

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.