Viewing 40 posts - 321 through 360 (of 525 total)
  • 2015/2016 winter 'cross racing thread
  • import
    Free Member

Good ride Will, when you came by on lap 3 I was in such a hole that I could only just watch you ride away. Pleased that I dug myself out to come from 12th to 6th in the last 2 laps.
    Despite first appearances, the course was great – nice to have some proper mud too!

will
    Free Member

Strong effort to move up so late in the race. Not sure about next weekend, it’s nearly 2 hours from London, so might not bother.

import
    Free Member

Yeah, it’s 105 miles each way from home, so in 2 minds about it as well. I think a lot of people are in the same boat – turnout might be pretty low.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

You guys saying Houghton Regis was a good course? Wow flat,dull and UN exciting flat around a field! With a sprinkling of Mud wouldn’t bother racing there next year! 3 weeks off for me now as in Thailand on holiday! Back for Hillingdon.

will
    Free Member

Good as in quite fast and the corners seemed to ride well. Certainly for what they had on offer it was good.

john_l
    Free Member

Any of you lot going to be at Rapha Supercross tomorrow?

will
    Free Member

Well yeah, was meant to be racing.

Never have Rapha got it so wrong (i’m a big Rapha fan btw) but 3 hour delay, little communication and then cancelling the event! I’m glad i only had a 5 mile ride to get there.

So in short, no cross racing this weekend.

rollindoughnut
    Free Member

East Kent League put on a cracking course with the theme being off-cambers. Everyone seemed to love it, I know I did.

bikebouy
    Free Member

The Supercross event Rapha ran had to be cancelled due to the Rain and Wind and more importantly the slippy conditions.
    You have to remember this event was an Urban Cross style event in that it was run through the grounds of St Martins collage. The pavements were all flagstones and pavement as you’d expect from an urban event.
    The Kids races went ahead, 2 rounds of the Adults races went ahead. It was clear from the conditions and subsequently sheer amount of crashes into barriers at corners and through the doorways that this became too risky to continue on with.

I agree that the event cancellation should have been wider publicised but most or all of the event racers were already on site and understood the conditions only too well. Most wanted to drop out of the races and it became clear to run the event in the afternoon/evening was too risky. One poor lad bust his collarbone on a corner, not unusual in cross event, but when it’s on flagstones it becomes a different issue.

As is the location was an excellent choice, great surroundings and most of the attendees agreed the format was first rate, the conditions took over though.

There were issues with college students bemoaning facts around being unable to get into/out of their college quick enough. Having to queue to cross the course was inevitable but not really liked by students.

There is talk already of a Nocturne type of event, possible a linkup with them but the plan is to run a similar event of Urban Cross again next year.

Shame the conditions were rubbish, but hey..

will
    Free Member

My issue is that hosting an event in November, where if it rained, means you have to cancel the event is a little bit daft. The past two years where I marshalled at Ally Pally were great fun, it’s just a shame it can’t go back there.

bikebouy
    Free Member

will – Member
    My issue is that hosting an event in November, where if it rained, means you have to cancel the event is a little bit daft. The past two years where I marshalled at Ally Pally were great fun, it’s just a shame it can’t go back there.

I agree Will, they tried another format. If that had worked it’d been brilliant.

Totally agree with the lack of communication though. We still had some folks turn up for the Elites to watch despite torrential downpouring.

Did you end up in the Tent with us lot??

benji
    Free Member

Two races for me this weekend, did the NDCXL on the saturday, which was a slippery slidey muddy event but great fun despite the rain. Sunday was lincolnshire league, firm course, and a stiff wind, enjoyed both.

will
    Free Member

Just seen the photos from round 8 at the central league in Kettering. Woah, that looked awesome. Even more gutted I didn’t go now.

BB – I ended up near the Bar, that was free for a few hours, just chatting to some mates until I got too cold…

leggyblonde
    Free Member

As is the location was an excellent choice

I have to disagree. Organising a race in mid-November on a surface that is lethal when wet is more than a bit silly really. Fair play for trying something different but don’t call it cyclocross if it has to be cancelled because of rain.

On a different note, the East Kent CX on Sunday was fantastic!

john_l
    Free Member

Agree – as soon as we got there on Saturday we realised that it wasn’t happening. Anyway…..

Mud fest in the London League at Sumners Ponds today. Good fun but bloody hard work. Loads of broken mechs & riders at the side of the track cursing their bikes. Excellent organisation from Velo Bagarreur.

cp

Yorkshire league in Sheffield. I think my penultimate lap time is going to be s l o w due to mud clagging up rear wheel. Cleared it on a run section and way hay, speed on the last lap.

Nick Craig was sheer class, super fast in the conditions.

You can do quite well in the technical sections having an MTB background, made up loads of places and time there. The spiralling switch backs were great fun.

Washing machine is now taking a battering, half way through cleaning bike/shoes/wellies………!!!!

karnali
    Free Member

Absolute mudfest at Penrith today, whole course brown and slidey, good to get back to a race though

benji
    Free Member

Mud fest at Markeaton park, Derby yesterday, saw loads of rear mechs ripped off. It was definitely a day for two bikes if you could.

Today was Lincolnshire league at Cranwell, amazingly dry with some fat forest singletrack that you could catch the next group in front but trying to get past was impossible.

jonba
    Free Member

Last 3 races I’ve done have been mud baths. In the absence of 2 bikes and a pit crew I’ve been considering a SSCX. But I haven’t seen many. Struggled towards the end of most races especially when there are long dismounted sections and my bike is getting heavy.

Still cheapish light SS options with discs though. Best I can see is the Arkose. Everything else is niche steel.

Trick to avoiding a rear mech catastrophe is to always pedal forward even if you are just turning slowly. Under no circumstances pedal backwards – hard when your pedals are set up wrong for a remount.

benji
    Free Member

I’m riding SSCX it’s great in foul conditions, but if the course has a fat drag strip start you tend to lose out. I’m contemplating gears for next year but I’m not fully decide yet.

john_l
    Free Member

I’m on a SS disc Singular Kite – don’t think I’ve ever raced with gears. Still cleaned 5lbs of mud from it yesterday.

john_l
    Free Member

nedrapier

Proper winter cross race! Course was shoveled, mostly, so as long as you stayed in the 12″ wide track you were OK. Plenty of wet rocks, roots and greasy mud to throw you off it, though! Really fun. The only lap I didn’t enjoy was my fastest. There’s a lesson there, I think…

davidjey
    Free Member

Wow, where was that Nedrapier?

nedrapier

Finland, about 30km SE of Tampere.

Garry_Lager

Nice photo Ned – was going to say yesterday’s outside Liverpool felt wintry until I saw that.

Does anyone know how the number of laps is decided on the day? Did 4 laps yesterday in the vets (plus a bit from the start onto the main course) and got lapped by the winner towards the end of my 4th and that was it – 36.40 total time. Felt a bit short and would have thought an extra lap was in order as that would have brought the leaders in around 43 mins.
    Is it decided ahead of time or do the timekeepers make a decision on how the race / day is going?

eddie11
    Free Member

garry lager – the latter, after the leaders have done a lap or two they work out how many they will complete in an hour and countdown from that. It get very confusing, youll be lapped by some not all and sometimes you are convinced you’ve been cheated out of positions but it only really happens very very rarely. Main thing is if its a long lap it can make a difference to how long you race, just get lapped at the wrong time your bell lap before the winner and you be out there for nearly 1h10

Does your league have timing chips? that really helps.

RoterStern
    Free Member

After driving through some heavy snow storms on our waý to the penultimate round of the regional cross series we were all thinking the race was going to be very grim indeed. But 12km from the venue the skies cleared and we were treated to some blue skies and a sandy well drained course. This was a new course for the series and everyone enjoyed it: nice mix of technical woodland, sand sections, bomb-holes and running over sandy banks sections. A good day for the five of us who went..three podium spots!

nedrapier

Timing thing these kerazy Finns are using is Webscorer PRO 2.1. Numbers on an ipad, touch the racers’ numbers as they come over the start/finish. Going to get unwieldy at some point, but it works well up the 60 or so they’ve had along to some of these races.

Then they lie to you about only having one more lap, and tell you to go round for another one after that.

Garry – it wasn’t too cold, certainly once you were moving. Had numb hands for the first lap, stacked on the 3rd, and didn’t bother putting my gloves back on again once I’d sorted out my brakes. And pretty dry – I was expecting to be wet through and caked in mud, but I didn’t even really have a wet arse, really. Combination of just sub-zero temps and sandy soil. And not going fast enough, probably!

Don’t know if this will work:

Posted by Johan Björklund on Saturday, November 21, 2015

john_l
    Free Member

Nice to see another Singular!

Seamus
    Free Member

@Garry, Stadt Moers? I was in the same position – 4 laps @ 37:30ish, I thought I had another lap but that’s how it falls sometimes. I was counting laps for the other races and the total number of laps was being estimated by the chief commissaire after the 1st 2 laps, although there are timing chips he was using his stopwatch.

Garry_Lager

It was Seamus – good course I thought, not done it before.

First time out on tubs for me and managed to stay upright throughout, so felt pretty good. Had plenty left, so was a bit regretful at not going harder at the start. Not sure my bike had another lap left, mind. Drivetrain was absolutely mullered with the mud.

Seamus
    Free Member

Yes, best course so far this year imo, small changes from last really improved it.

aP
    Free Member

When I Comm I usually try and bring every race in just below the time stated in the programme. This is a for a number of reasons:
    – there’s a programme of races, if it starts to drift out then its hard to get the overall event finished on time
    – there’s usually a wide variety of abilities – if you bring in the leader just over time then the last people to finish may be 15 minutes or so later (That’s why we sometimes pull people near the end if they’re almost but not quite about to be lapped)
    – even though most leagues have chip timing it’s just as easy to use a stopwatch, at least you don’t run the chance of putting off the lap counters and spoiling all the results. Mine shows the last 3 lap times anyway so you can see how its going
    – Sometimes the conditions worsen during the race – if the leaders start to drop off on their lap times then you sometimes need to reconsider and shorten the race a bit
    I must admit that finishing at 37:30 does sound short – was it supposed to be a 40 minute race? Because that would seem about right.

Garry_Lager

aP – Member

When I Comm I usually try and bring every race in just below the time stated in the programme. This is a for a number of reasons:
    – there’s a programme of races, if it starts to drift out then its hard to get the overall event finished on time
    – there’s usually a wide variety of abilities – if you bring in the leader just over time then the last people to finish may be 15 minutes or so later (That’s why we sometimes pull people near the end if they’re almost but not quite about to be lapped)
    – even though most leagues have chip timing it’s just as easy to use a stopwatch, at least you don’t run the chance of putting off the lap counters and spoiling all the results. Mine shows the last 3 lap times anyway so you can see how its going
    – Sometimes the conditions worsen during the race – if the leaders start to drop off on their lap times then you sometimes need to reconsider and shorten the race a bit
    I must admit that finishing at 37:30 does sound short – was it supposed to be a 40 minute race? Because that would seem about right.
    Vets race is pencilled in for 45 mins, I think, and the winner came in at 36.06.
    Prob down to your first point – I think we were quite late starting, like 30 mins plus behind schedule, so maybe they needed to cap it off to get the next race done.

Seamus
    Free Member

NWCCA vets are 40 mins Garry.

davidjey
    Free Member

No Monday morning updates?

Welsh League unfortunately had to be cancelled this weekend. The course is right next to the sea, exposed to the full force of the westerly gales. Given how rough the weather got in Cardiff on Sunday, I think the organisers made the right call.

Not racing did give me a chance to finally get my blog about CX racing up to date for the season though:

I’m not dead yet

ferrals
    Free Member

Nice blog. You werent tempted by Cheltenham then? I see a few made the trek.

It was ridiculously windy in Swansea so they definitely made the right decision. I was pretty relieved as my back is still knackered from Tuesdays idiotic accident. Starting to worry about whether I’ll make any more races this year with the way its feeling, seems to be getting worse not better. Doesn’t help A&E saying – “We can’t see any fractures on the X-Ray but they are hard to see in the Thoracic spine anyway so you still may have a fracture.” Thanks for setting my mind at ease, panicking with every twinge!

benji
    Free Member

Lincolnshire league went ahead, it was seriously windy, with the course pegged to the floor rather than fluttering a few feet above it. It was a day that saw the sunny riders absent and the true muddy crossmen ride. I had decided to pop another tooth on my gearing as my current chainring was seriously worn, so went from 33:17 to 34:17 which doesn’t sound alot but it was definitely plenty big enough give the rain and the boggy conditions. Definitely finding my shorter race distance legs after a summer of 24hrs and 12hrs events on a fat bike. Looking forward to getting my tubs stuck on my new wheels, never raced tubs so that’s my weeks job along with a few more turbo sessions.

john_l
    Free Member

London League was at Cyclopark yesterday. A really good course, with plenty of singletrack, berms, spirals, off camber traverses, dismounts & a proper cliff to run up!

Unbelievably, the ground was pretty much mud free despite the weather in the previous 48hrs, which made my choice of mud tubs look like the wrong one. That & a really bad start meant that I spent most of the race clawing my way back to finish in what is becoming a customary 14th place.

Singlespeed here too.

Viewing 40 posts - 321 through 360 (of 525 total)

The topic ‘2015/2016 winter 'cross racing thread’ is closed to new replies.