Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 525 total)
  • 2015/2016 winter 'cross racing thread
  • shedbrewed
    Free Member

Yup another one for the welsh league here. Raced it the last couple of years. Beardy pontypool rider. Selling my race bike as just built a new one if any ones interested? £600

ferrals
    Free Member

Those websites are good, cheers bikebuoy!

ferrals
    Free Member

Went along to some cross training this eve, really good fun – I’m going to have to practise my remounts though!

bikebouy
    Free Member

Almanzos off, Griffos back on…

Thats the weather for you 😆

eskay

trickydisco – Member

i’ll be doing a few of the western league races round brizzle. Having a now 8 month old baby has put paid to any sort of training I’m just permanently tired

Know the feeling, mine are 12 & 14 and it does not get any easier. Hope the nipper is doing well.

I was hoping to race most of the winter series but my eldest son has just got a road/track coach and cx does not fit in with his training unfortunately.

I hope to able to do a handful but not as many as I want. Hopefully see you at a few if you can get out.

My eldest wants to do the final round as we go there to watch the banger racing!!

I would be up for a Western training night if anyone else is.

MaryHinge
    Free Member

I’ve been trying to get in some cross racing the last couple of seasons, but was injured 13/14, then moved house last November so didn’t make any, except for watching the champs at Abergavenny!

Looks like I’m not available for the first couple of races nearest to me this year too! Aberystwyth and Brecon.

Hopefully make Hereford an Newtown though. I’ll be the Vet 50 at the back 🙂

theotherjonv

Do they have the same (roughly speaking) set up as XC racing, ie: all the proper racers in their age groups and then other ‘non-competitive’ categories where people can have a go without getting in the way of some battle hardened 50 year olds who’ve got hundreds of thousands of miles in their legs and don’t want some fatty on a Boardman **** up their day?

Even better if the races are a bit shorter 😉

shedbrewed
    Free Member

Mary, Hereford is a great course, proper ‘cross with streams, woods, mud and Tarmac.

ernie

My first CX race was the three peaks last year. I can’t make it this year so will be having a crack at a few of the Wessex League and Southern Champs. I’m kinda keen, unless it gets really muddy in which case I’ll re-ignite my love of the turbo trainer.

crispycross
    Free Member

Do they have the same (roughly speaking) set up as XC racing

In a word, no. Racing is split into age groups only, usually with a titchy flat course for the U8/10/12 etc., then full lap races for youths (U16), Juniors, Seniors and veteran categories split into V40, V50 and the odd V60. Race lengths are 30 mins for youths, 40 for juniors, vets and women and 1 hr for seniors. Several categories will be racing at the same time and you’ll often get Juniors, Vets and Women all going round together but set off at different times.
    Don’t worry about getting in the way. Cyclocross courses don’t have singletrack so there’s always room for passing. The thing to bear in mind is that if you’re getting lapped, it’s your responsibility to give up the racing line to the faster rider but often, you’ll just hear a shout of, for example, ‘rider up, on your left’ and all you have to do is remember which left they mean 🙂

theotherjonv

Thanks – and i know it’s a timed race so eg: x mins and then the lap you’re on? So what typically is a lap time, and how many times can you get lapped before your number gets called and one of the commissaires pulls you off? Or do you just suffer pretending that you’re still competing for the full time?

cookeaa

Now I have a CX bike I am tempted to try a couple of the Wessex CX rounds, Newbury, Reading and maybe swindon are all within easy striking distance… Hmmm.

LS
    Free Member

Thanks – and i know it’s a timed race so eg: x mins and then the lap you’re on? So what typically is a lap time, and how many times can you get lapped before your number gets called and one of the commissaires pulls you off? Or do you just suffer pretending that you’re still competing for the full time?

You can be as many laps down as you want in a local-level race, you won’t get pulled out of the race unless you’re doing at the very least a regional championship. Laps can be anything from 5-11 minutes depending on conditions (the laps are 2.5-3.5kms long).
    As soon as the winner gets the chequered flag everyone else finishes once they cross the finish line, no matter how many laps down.

thomthumb
    Free Member

how many times can you get lapped before your number gets called and one of the commissaires pulls you off?

hundreds or so it would seem 😉

Only race i’ve done i was second to last had a great time, passing riders were all good, and it becomes part of the challenge to let them pass without issue – i even got a clap for it, then see if you can follow – for a bit.

Get involved and enter – worst that happens is you don’t enjoy an hour – and never come back – at least you tried it & have something to talk about.

IdleJon

Cyclocross courses don’t have singletrack so there’s always room for passing.

Oh yes they do, just not huge, long sections.

I should link to my short preview of the forthcoming Welsh season on grit.cx..

http://grit.cx/news/2015/07/welsh-cyclocross-2015-2016-schedule

jonba
    Free Member

I’ll be doing all of the North East Cyclocross League (NECCL) and might do some of the cyclocross north east (CXNE) ones when I’m not hill climbing.

cookeaa

one of the commissaires pulls you off

[sniggers]

shedbrewed
    Free Member

IdleJon look forward to seeing you out there again 🙂

bikebouy
    Free Member

Just lowered my seat post 10mm for maximum stand over height, that’s preparation for you 😆

theotherjonv

[sniggers]

I know. It was so obvious but i still couldn’t help but include it.

aP
    Free Member

I can guarantee that this is something that I will never, ever do.
    I may be looking really quite miserable after having stood in driving rain for 7 hours without even a cup of tea though.
    Note to organisers – make sure that the Comms get a mug of tea or coffee at regular intervals 😉

IdleJon

shedbrewed – Member
    IdleJon look forward to seeing you out there again

Just checked your blog and……who are you? (Terribly rude, I’m sorry.) 😆 Yes, I’ll be at most of the races, being a mobile chicane and complaining about rude overtakers. :D.

rollindoughnut
    Free Member

A few posts above, someone mentions calling ‘on your left’ etc. Is the etiquette the same as for xc races?

I did my first cross race last year and did call when neccesary but wondered if that was the done thing in cross. I didn’t hear anyone else calling for passes.

crispycross
    Free Member

Often, the commissaire will talk about lapping on the start line. I’ll call in twisty sections or if it’s a bit narrow, but if there’s loads of room, I won’t bother and just give loads of room.

goldenwonder
    Free Member

West Mids league for me along with a few Notts & Derby when I go visiting my parents & the odd NT round.
    First year for me I’ll be running a matching pair of bikes-just hope I can do the kit justice!

shedbrewed
    Free Member

IdleJon – Member

shedbrewed – Member
    IdleJon look forward to seeing you out there again

Just checked your blog and……who are you? (Terribly rude, I’m sorry.) Yes, I’ll be at most of the races, being a mobile chicane and complaining about rude overtakers. :D.

Pontypool Thom. Unless you’re not the Jon I’m thinking of… In which case I’ll see you there and try to overtake politely 😉

steve_b77
    Free Member

Gonna be giving the North West league a crack along with a couple of the longer sportive events.
    My bike turns up on Monday so I’ll be riding it as much as possible between then and the first race in September.

LS
    Free Member

A few posts above, someone mentions calling ‘on your left’ etc. Is the etiquette the same as for xc races?

Only when lapping or being lapped, not when racing for position. Call ‘on your left’ to me when we’re racing each other and you’ll very quickly find a large white bike in your path 😀

sefton
    Free Member

yep NW league and some nationals

aP
    Free Member

I think that some of you might want to think about being treated as you might like to be treated. It’s amateur racing, all go home happy after decent respectful racing. If you want to chop each other and you do it in front of me you will be DQ’d.

LS
    Free Member

I’m not talking about chopping people up or barging someone off their line. If you can make a pass stick then go for it but I’m not going to help you, particularly if you start announcing it in advance! That’s just racecraft in the same way as easing up slightly on the front of a group when your teammate attacks into a narrow section. I’ve DQd riders for deliberate line-changing so I know the difference.

I’ve been racing CX for 25+ years and only come up against one truly dirty rider in that time, but equally I’ve ridden against people who have become very good friends. Hard racing on the course, hands shaken after we cross the finish line.

oldgit
    Free Member

Yes another season due, really the main reason I road race all year. And it’s so popular now, I’ve even got my own race (over 50’s) wasn’t many years ago we all went off together.
    Central League.

IdleJon

shedbrewed – Member

Pontypool Thom. Unless you’re not the Jon I’m thinking of… In which case I’ll see you there and try to overtake politely

Howdy Thom. Thought it was you but wasn’t sure. See you in a few weeks.

🙂

Rorschach
    Free Member

First winter in 6 years I won’t be racing…just dismantled the crosslight 😥

shedbrewed
    Free Member

Sorry IdleJon, I should’ve just said Chowder Thom and made it easier! Another year, more flasks of chowder!

IdleJon

Sorry IdleJon, I should’ve just said Chowder Thom and made it easier! Another year, more flasks of chowder!

😆

That might be the only time in your life you eat chowder but in my family you will be Chowder Thom forever!

core

So, I’ve just noticed that 2 of the Welsh League rounds are pretty close to me, 1 is actually very close.

I know you can use any bike, and discs are allowed, but what sort of reception would I receive on a Scandal 29er with a peaked MTB lid on?

Quite fancy a go, 50 minutes to an hour flat out is quite similar to most of my (XC) riding. Thoughts?

Rorschach
    Free Member

Nice thing about cross….no one cares what you ride.Unless you win it.

core

What tyres on 29er rims then? My X Kings won’t cut it in the mud!

Rorschach
    Free Member

The joy of 29….cx tyres fit 😀

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 525 total)

The topic ‘2015/2016 winter 'cross racing thread’ is closed to new replies.