Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 525 total)
  • 2015/2016 winter 'cross racing thread
  • bikebouy
    Free Member

Just ask the commissar if it’s ok to ride on your 29er with existing tyres on, chances are they’ll be more than happy since it means more folks riding.
    If you win, then win again you maybe asked to follow the rules, but hey you won’t be the first nor last guy on a 29er hacking around having fun.
    Just turn up 😀

tang
    Free Member

I’m also looking forward to the big race calendar this year, Sven’s last season and some young guns that have come of age sets things up for some fine racing. I’m hoping to make one race this year; Koppenburg or Hamme(my favourite race last year).
    Also heard that Ian Bibby is thinking of returning this season, could hold some early form after a solid road season.

IdleJon

what sort of reception would I receive on a Scandal 29er with a peaked MTB lid on?

Plenty of riders use 29ers in the Welsh league. It’s mainly cross bikes but there’s a fair smattering of other, full sus included. Occasionally one of the fast boys will be seen on one.

Peaked mtb lid? Exactly what I always wear on the cx bike as do lots of other riders.

davidjey
    Free Member

I think the one and only rule in Welsh League for bikes is ‘no bar ends’.

Nobody will bat an eyelid at a 29er, unless you do what John Pugh did a couple of times last season and win the race riding one.

trickydisco
    Free Member

Nobody will bat an eyelid at a 29er, unless you do what John Pugh did a couple of times last season and win the race riding one.

or simon richardson winning on a 26er in the western league

ferrals
    Free Member

crispycross – Member
    Watching vids of pro races is always good for inspiration and learning – check out the ‘Svenness’ and ‘likeaVos’ series on vimeo too, where there’s a bit of added commentary to give some insight into what’s going on.

been watching some of the Svenness videos on my lunch breaks. They are really good! Super frothing now, especially as I’ve got a provisional pass for the first welsh league race too which I thought I’d have to miss 🙂

Rorschach
    Free Member

Anybody fancy a cheap set of 11sp carbon tubs (not disc) with cx tyres?

IdleJon

Anybody fancy a cheap set of 11sp carbon tubs (not disc) with cx tyres?

If you mean cheap like £2.57 then I’m interested. Otherwise I’m out. 😀

Rorschach
    Free Member

£2.57 and a sherbert Dib Dab?

IdleJon

Don’t know whether I can stretch that far.

And I’d need to buy two sherbert dibdabs, one for me, one for you. Not looking like an attractive deal…

disco_stu
    Free Member

The West Midlands CX league has been over-subscribed so they closed registrations a week early 🙁

aP
    Free Member

Just ask the commissar if it’s ok to ride on your 29er with existing tyres on, chances are they’ll be more than happy since it means more folks riding.
    If you win, then win again you maybe asked to follow the rules, but hey you won’t be the first nor last guy on a 29er hacking around having fun.

Unless you’re riding a National level race or the 3 Peaks, then there’ll be absolutely no problem about entering on a 29er XC bike. Just make sure that if you do have bar ends to take them off. There are no “rules” except for higher ranked events where you must comply with UCI regulations – for league races there are no restrictions.
    Please note that helmet/ harness/ bike mounted cameras are not permitted in CX races (unless you have specific dispensation from the governing body) – you will be asked to remove it before being allowed to start.

Adam_Buckland
    Free Member

Is anyone doing the Floodlit Series in Swindon – gutted that I can only make a couple of them this year 🙁

pjt201
    Free Member

trickydisco – Member

or simon richardson winning on a 26er in the western league

Si Richardson would’ve won on whatever bike he rode 😉

Anyone who was moaning about it probably needed reminding of that. Some people take it far too seriously. There was a guy who had a go at me for doing mince pie hand-ups at the Lockleaze round last year. No idea where he came, but the winner had 3…

STATO
    Free Member

Anyone who was moaning about it probably needed reminding of that. Some people take it far too seriously. There was a guy who had a go at me for doing mince pie hand-ups at the Lockleaze round last year. No idea where he came, but the winner had 3…

My local series wont let you ride if you are wearing ‘non-affiliated’ clothing, i.e. a Sky top when your not on the Sky team, or a club thats not a member of BC. Kind of goes against the point of cyclocross being an open and inclusive sport if you ask me.

trickydisco
    Free Member

here was a guy who had a go at me for doing mince pie hand-ups at the Lockleaze round last year.

Whaa?! no way. I thought the western league was fairly chilled

rusty90
    Free Member

New event in the Welsh League this year at the National Botanic Gardens, organised by Matt Page. Might make that my annual CX outing this year, should be less boring than the Carmarthen Showground course.

dragon
    Free Member

Clothing is restricted under the UCI/BC rules. How hard is to wear a plain top, can’t see how that doesn’t make it inclusive?

rockfield
    Free Member

Pjt201- those mince pies were amazing. I only had 2 which probably explains why I did so badly. Looking forward to the new season and new venues in the western league. Mendip raceway is going to be interesting!

cookeaa

Clothing is restricted under the UCI/BC rules. How hard is to wear a plain top, can’t see how that doesn’t make it inclusive?

It is? I read it the other way, plain clothing and even stuff with a few minor manufacturers logo’s are fine, club/sponsor’s kits need to be a registered design…

I’m more interested in how rigidly enforced the 33mm tyre rule is.

I am curretly using 35mm on a pretty narrow rims, I’ll measure them to be sure they don’t come up narrow, but I don’t much fancy having to buy a new pair of tyres just to race on if I really don’t need to…

wonkey_donkey
    Free Member

i cant imagine anyone will be round checking tyre widths on the start line 🙂

you’ll be fine.

aP
    Free Member

33mm tyre width only applies to National Level and above racing, if you’re doing local league racing it’ll be fine.

LS
    Free Member

The clothing rules are pretty inclusive, seeing as under-16s can wear what they wish so long as it’s not the National Champs. Over-16s have to wear the kit of their club/team but in general most commissaires (this one included) will be fine with plain kit.
    If someone turns up in full Sky/Belkin whatever kit and they’re clearly a beginner then I wouldn’t be DQing them, more a quiet word explaining the rules and asking them to ride in something more suitable next time.

33mm tyre calipers are issued to UCI-level comms precisely for testing tyre widths on the start line, but as said above if you’re not racing a higher-level race it won’t be checked – otherwise MTBs would effectively be banned from local leagues.

IdleJon

If someone turns up in full Sky/Belkin whatever kit and they’re clearly a beginner then I wouldn’t be DQing them, more a quiet word explaining the rules and asking them to ride in something more suitable next time.

Just to press the obvious point home, that’s because a pro might arrive who actually races for that team. You might buy a replica jersey but that doesn’t entitle you to wear it in a proper race simply because you arent on that team. Ditto using club jerseys if you aren’t a member of that club.

I remember a friend who rode for Bynea CC arrived at a race to find Jez Hunt (iirc) on the start line. Unfortunately Hunt was racing for Banesto and Bynea had stolen their design, replacing the word Banesto with Bynea. Embarrassment ensued.

LS
    Free Member

When Roger Hammond was riding for Discovery Channel he rode one of our local league events as a warmup for the Nationals. More than one person was ripping the mickey out of the chopper in full team kit until they realised that he was actually entitled to wear it 😆

ferrals
    Free Member

cookeaa – Member

It is? I read it the other way, plain clothing and even stuff with a few minor manufacturers logo’s are fine, club/sponsor’s kits need to be a registered design..[/quote]

Does this mean (I’m not a member of a club) my brash mtb tops plastered in substantial troy lee designs logos will really not be acceptable 😳

While I agree with and understand the reasoning for the don’t wear team kit if your not in a team, this minor logo thing sounds a bit like my old man’s golf club’s policy on sock length!

LS
    Free Member

That’s a grey area but you’d probably be fine as it’s not really ‘team’ kit. It’d come down to the commissaires on the day but in most cases common sense would prevail.

flybywire
    Free Member

I suppose you could always wear a not acceptable jersey inside out .. it’s likely to get muddy anyway 🙂

IdleJon

Or ride naked. 😆

(Checks rules..)

flybywire
    Free Member

pin a number to? 😆

STATO
    Free Member

Why do there even need to be rules on clothing at non-national rounds? Why are organisers upping fees to pay for electronic timing and MC’s?? Cyclocross is turning into the winter sportive.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Theres way more interest in my club this year than last for having a go a CX racing.
    Speaking with mates last night I broached the question about whose coming to the 1st race on the 6th, out of about 25 of us well over half said they were. Wind back to last year and there would have only been me and a couple of others.

Some are just a bit bored of road riding all the time (none MTB, couple already CX) and fancied a blast. I think what did it was me and a couple of mates would turn up to the club filthy with a grin.

That an a few of the guys have taken advantage of lower cost of bikes this year (extended sales and such)

dragon
    Free Member

Why do there even need to be rules on clothing at non-national rounds?

For the reasons noted above. Also as already mentioned most Coms are okay and apply common sense.

Cyclocross is turning into the winter sportive.

Hardly.

LS
    Free Member

Why are organisers upping fees to pay for electronic timing

Because the riders are demanding it, plus it’s very difficult to manually judge a race with 200 riders flying round a 6-8min lap. Increased numbers = increased stress on the organising team.
    Commentators have been mandatory at cat A races and above forever so it’s not a new thing.

hjghg5
    Free Member

Considering giving it a go this year. I’ve done a couple of novice races in the past on my MTB but now I have a cross bike I may try the proper race. Will probably still stick with the novices race for the first one though while I get a feel for it.

eddie11
    Free Member

Cyclocross is turning into the winter sportive.

erm, cyclocross is a real race. 😈

As it gets more popular there are more and more go cross races where these rules don’t count.

But if you do a regional race you are technically in the pyramid to nationals and worlds and some people there genuinely are so you need those rules. There are only 6 (?) naitonals a year so the regional races see a lot of properly good riders between times. And that’s what’s so great for me is that this is a real race and they let knackers in too! you get to hack around mid table at the same time as some real proper riders are duking out up front.

aP
    Free Member

Why are organisers upping fees to pay for electronic timing and MC’s

Having promoted London League & Central League CX races in the past the workload is enormous – I stopped doing it partly because of the huge amount of time it took to get the full race results out, and the constant emails from people saying that they came 83rd, and not 84th and that I was a moron and an idiot (and worse) for getting it wrong. Having electronic timing makes it much more likely to get the results out quickly and easily within a short timescale.
    I thought that if you had a PA and a microphone it was almost impossible to stop someone from picking it up and talking complete bollocks in a field to a small crowd of onlookers up until the point that someone else would take it away from them and turn the PA off.

STATO
    Free Member

Having promoted London League & Central League CX races in the past the workload is enormous – I stopped doing it partly because of the huge amount of time it took to get the full race results out, and the constant emails from people saying that they came 83rd, and not 84th and that I was a moron and an idiot (and worse) for getting it wrong. Having electronic timing makes it much more likely to get the results out quickly and easily within a short timescale.

Totally get that, have ran an event for past few years and timing/scoring can be stressful, but once used to it paper and pen is reliable, easy and quick to get results, though my biggest field was only about 80.

CX isnt exactly suffering for attendees right now, but ive only been doing it a few years and most of the guys i raced with at the back of the field dont race anymore and my friends who raced occasionally cant afford the now £18+£3levy for a 50min race when they are struggling to makes ends. Instead the fields are filled with (joke example of an oft used stereotype) STWers arriving in their Audi with a cycle to work CX bike on the roof. Obviously this is not a bad thing and I love that more people are racing, but i dislike that costs driven off some of the people who have been doing it for years or blocking those who might have tried it.

What do you guys pay/charge for a senior race? (turning up on the day, no licence)

aP
    Free Member

TBH I started racing CX in 93/94, and whilst never troubling the front of any race I used to quite enjoy it, I don’t really do so any more, and am unlikely to race CX again.
    I had tried to put on a new CX race with my current club (I have with a previous club promoted 4 League CX races successfully but stressfully so have been there and done it), but some members of the club made it clear that what I was proposing wasn’t something they felt should be done so I’ve left it to them to sort it out (18 months later, still no club promoted race….), and I Commissaire (with herself) at about half a dozen League CX races every season.

richardk
    Free Member

Do I need a BC licence or membership of any variety to race? I’d like to use my TriCross for something more than winter road riding

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 525 total)

The topic ‘2015/2016 winter 'cross racing thread’ is closed to new replies.