Viewing 40 posts - 481 through 520 (of 525 total)
  • 2015/2016 winter 'cross racing thread
  • benji
    Free Member

I’m racing the NDCXL on Saturday, penultimate cross race of the season. I’ll see you there LS, I’m easy to spot singlespeed vet40 in arrow cycles kit with a bright orange helmet.

plop_pants
    Free Member

Let us know Munge-chick, I’m riding the NT on Sunday and it would be great to have some idea which wheels to bring.

cp

aha, another ndcxl entrant here – though i’m also trying to squeeze another 2 races in before the seasons end – north west and then the final round of the london cross league.

wont be able to make mk at the weekend 🙁

aP
    Free Member

LS – Member
    I’m one of the commissaires at MK on Sunday after riding the final NDCXL on Saturday. Really hoping there’s not too much running, I don’t think I can face it!

I’m one of the regional Comms… see you there at 8:15!

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Plop_pants I shall try to remember to post on here then for your appropriate wheel selection!!

Trimix
    Free Member

Mmmm, those pictures and your tales of “running” are not filling me with with the warm glow of excited expectancy I want for my first CX race on Saturday.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Ha ha Trimix I was just saying to Valerie to show you the pictures!! MK should no way be like that. Firstly the course won’t be that muddy and secondly this week we have mainly dry cold weather so ground should be a bit more hard pack! I guarantee though that you will LOVE the CX race .. no doubt about it!!

adsh
    Free Member

Considering entering Rd 14 Dalton in the Wessex league as my first ever cross race as it’s near.

Currently race XC. 29er winter trainer set up with rigids, narrowest tyres I have are 2.1 Xkings – ok choice?

Need studs for shoes. Do I remove bottle cage for shouldering and stick bottle in jersey or? Bar ends ok?

Any tips appreciated.

eddie11
    Free Member

They might be funny about bar ends. Probably won’t be but worth grabbing a commisaire early on to check.
    Race what you have if you like it look at some cross clinchers for your next race. Just don’t be under any illusions that at this time of year 2.1s will be far too wide to threaten the podium. You’ll be dragged to a halt in the first muddy stretch as all these funny narrow tyres stuck on with glue with no air in cut straight through and ride past you. Some people find it fun though. You might be one of those 🙂

cp

Check with the league or event organisers ref bar ends, for some reason they are seen as a risk.. How folk get away with running sti gear /brake levers good knows….

At this time of year I’d recommend getting some narrow tyres. You’ll enjoy the race so much more if you’re not sliding around on fat mtb tyres. Look at getting something cheap like schwalbe cx pro from crc. They’ll be lighter than your mtb tyres and cut through the mud so much better.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/schwalbe-cx-pro-cyclocross-bike-tyre/rp-prod24614

And must importantly enjoy. It’s s ridiculous sport!!

cp

Ref bottle. A lot race without, but I like a few mouthfuls. You’re not allowed bottle hand ups like in mtb races so need to carry one if you want water. I put the bottle cage on the seat tube mount for cross racing.

LS
    Free Member

I’m one of the regional Comms… see you there at 8:15!

Sound job. I’ve already told Kelvin that I expect an open tab with the caterer, seeing as that I’ll have officially have gone into ‘off-season’ mode and copious amounts of bacon will be demanded 😆

plop_pants
    Free Member

Any updates on conditions at MK today and those likely tomorrow?

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Plop_pants. Courts update there is nothing technical but it is twisty turny. No planks only some step/muddy slope to run up. Warning it IS muddy from tape to tape however a lot is rideable mud it isn’t deep, it is churned up grass but there is no mud free line. As it is a Nationals course it is wide. Towards end of day it was getting worse for eating rear mechs, so tips mud tyres, pit bike and pit crew probably lap changes!! Lots of off camber! Some running hills and even one running downhill depressingly! Long tarmac start/finish.

I turned up and didn’t have my head on but rode into it! A course that shouldn’t suit me but I felt I was riding well and yee ha back on the podium 2nd 🙂

Having been ill since before Shrewsbury I’ve decided to bomb out of tomorrow I need a lie in!

Good luck let us know how you get on!

plop_pants
    Free Member

Thanks for the update Munge-chick and well done for getting on the podium!
    Really in two minds about tomorrow. I’ve only got one bike and I think I had my luck getting a finish on that last week. The drive there might be a bit dodgy too!

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Plop pats you racing? Seen the snowy pictures on twitter!

will
    Free Member

Well done MC, pretty impressive result.

I rode at MK yesterday, conditions were indeed pretty hard. I thankfully had somebody in the pits, plus a spare bike, so managed to keep going, albeit got a puncture for half a lap.

Actually really enjoyed the course, the off camber sections were good, the big descent quite fun. The flatter sections in the bottom were hard work, and i’m still not sure if it was easier to run or ride?

Had a good battle with another rider for two laps, with them bettering me on the descents, but me catching on the running, and came away with 4th or 5th in the senior race, difficult to know for sure though, my club mate in the pit seemed to think that was about right.

plop_pants
    Free Member

Sadly couldn’t go Munge-chick. Mrs PP wasn’t well overnight so I stayed at home.

aP
    Free Member

Was cold at MK. Looked like a tough one, was some good racing. The snow was only 2-3″ deep.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

“Sadly” I think you lucked out not going did you see the videos of the chute? It was basically a mud slide not many were making it down. The first climb everyone was running, they took out the DH zig zag section we were running the day before as too manky! I am so glad I didn’t go, it didn’t look fun. More running! Come on summer sunshine!

So who’s racing this weekend? I have Central league in Kettering on Sat, then ive entered Wessex league at Dalton Barracks, Abingdon on Sunday! Hopefully Sat won’t be rear mech chewing!!!

When is the sunshine coming back? 🙂

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

So who is racing this weekend?

Central league Kettering tomorrow!
    Wessex league, Abingdon both have entries on the line still available!

hoping it’ll be a bit dryer due to the colder weather earlier in week, shame we’ve had some light rain today! Please no more mechs!

sefton
    Free Member

NWCCA Beacon park

aP
    Free Member

Am Comm at LL/SE Redbridge on Sunday.

2tyred

SuperQuaich round 2, at some park in Ayr on Sunday.

Lot for it to live up to after last weekend’s TOTAL SNOWY EPIC on the south side of Glasgow.

benji
    Free Member

Popping out of area to ride the last round of the Yorkshire Cyclocross Series, looks to be an interesting venue with promises of 33% climbs, which on a sscx could be interesting. Last race of the winter 🙁

ferrals
    Free Member

So Lovecrossed next weekend – who’s going? Not properly raced cross since November so really looking forward to it. Not even remotely ‘cross fit though. Going to get there nice and early and heckle IdleJon in the vets race before getting ready for seniors 😀

Anyone race there last year? What’s the draining like? Is it going to be a full on mud bath? Only got one bike and wondering on a) chances of finishing with a mech attached and b) whether to put garden weed pressure washer in pits and stop half way through to do a quick spray off to prevent a) happening.

oldgit
    Free Member

Munge-chick, did you race Kettering? because that was a tiny field.

john_l
    Free Member

Redbridge today was brilliant. We were promised hardpack & little mud & fast racing. What we actually got was a brilliant ‘cross course with just enough fast hard packed singletrack to rest on from the muddy sections, some of which were fast, sketchy downhills & some were excruciating runs. A perfect ss course.

All in all, brilliant. Huge thanks to Redbridge Cycle Centre & hosts Dulwich Paragon & of course, the comms AP 🙂 Nice to chat after – see you & Leslie for the team champs.

aP
    Free Member

Good to finally meet John! It took us a while to work out the number of laps, and we finally brought the winner in at 54 and a bit minutes. The last man in was 16 minutes later as he’d broken his rear mech just after the pits.
    I think today went well, there was a fairly high attrition rate with rear mechs.
    Next weekend off, Team Champs the following weekend then my club’s Sporting 14…

wonkey_donkey
    Free Member

That’s it for me. Final race of the North West league, good finish. Improved loads on last season which was all I was aiming for so can’t complain.

See you all on next seasons thread!

mick_r

Good day at final NW CX – Kids and Mrs all had good races. I ended up riding over from home as the saddle-less CX bike didn’t meet UCI/BC approval 🙂 and couldn’t be bothered changing tyres on my 29er. Need to make my own (legal) CX frame before next season.

Never seen so much chain suck and resulting broken mech hangers! Clutch mechs seemed to be working better. First time I’ve watched someone break a chain on the slack lower run and then unknowingly carry on riding another couple of metres until the total loss chain system ran out…..

Really enjoyed this season and made more new friends, but very glad all the cleaning is over (not that mtb is much better)!

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Oldgit yes I raced Kettering. Good course and day out! Muddy but generally a rideable. I set off hard after a poor start and got a lead. Loved the technical descents which were fast but quite grippy so MTB skills hugely useful! Lap 2 2nd place pulled me back as we came past pits I dithered on a bike change, decided against it, then as I went past the exit….I had a front puncture (so 20 psi on clinchers was too low) rode 3/4 of lap on front flat! Golder pulled away. Changed in pits but she had too much of a gap on me, held on to 2nd though. I have also sealed the series win BOOM WELL CHUFFED!!!!

Sunday onto Wessex league at Dalton Barracks. Woke up.feeling like I had been hit by a bus! Warm up was half hearted and legs just hurt so wasn’t feeling particularly confident, although knowing the course I just wanted to have fun. What a fun whoopdie doopdie bmx track stylee course. Muddy but with hard pack underneath so all rideable. As not my normal league I was gridded at the back of which there were 4 rows this week 30 girls! Had a poor start as girl in front of me didn’t even move! Smashed it around her into first corner and technical bit and got up to about 10th. Pushed on in techie bits (my strength) got passed about 4 of them up to 6th. Towards end of lap I got up to 3rd. 2nd lap I pushed on trying to get a gap! Technical bits I was flying on, flat muddy draggy tarmac bits I could tell I’d raced the day before!! Slowly each lap 4th place reeled me in. As we went through start/finish I tried to sit on her wheel but she played track games messing about, I smashed it into the corners neck and neck with her my aggressive racing worked….but not for long! She was soon past on the tarmac and pulled away. By which point my legs were screaming and back was knackered, got my head down onto 4th! Lesson learnt yesterday don’t get carried away…went off too hard on lap2, but more than happy with a 2nd and 4th this weekend.

Now onto Love Crossed and that’s my season done. So who else is in for LC? Look forward to watching World Champs after too 🙂

cp

Plenty of NWCCA league love here! I came over from Sheffield with the excuse of visiting family, and snuck a race in up at Beacon Park. Fun course, loved the mud.

Didn’t love the almost full lap with rear brake stuck on 🙁

Final race of the season next weekend for me down in the London League.

ferrals
    Free Member

MC, sounds like you had a good w/e well done on series win – did you race Lovecrossed last year? Wondering abotu the terrain and drainage. Kind of worried about the mud content given the recent weeks rain and more forecast (worried from a ‘only have one bike – how many laps till the mech breaks’ point of view, not the riding as mud suits me).

cp

how many laps till the mech breaks’ point of view

On the subject of broken mechs/hangers…

At both last weeks NDCXL and yesterdays NWCCA races, there was disproportionate number of Cannondales being walked round with broken hangers.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

No not raced Love Crossed before so no idea on course, terrain, mud etc! I can’t face another broken bike though I can tell you that 🙂

Anyone give us a low down???

oldgit
    Free Member

Munge-chick. Think I was parked up next to you. LBRCC riders in green/white/black and vet/50 so same race. Small world if that’s right.
    We had a couple of (almost) race virgins blathering on.

IdleJon

there was disproportionate number of Cannondales being walked round with broken hangers.

Weird. Lots of broken mech hangers in the Welsh series but I’ve not noticed a preponderance of ‘dales being wrecked . I’d notice because I ride one. ❓

Yes, I’ll be at Lovecrossed. It’ll be a pre-dawn start to get up there by 10.40. 😥

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Oldgit Erm really I didn’t pay much attention if I’m honest ha ha! I’m guessing we are distinctive in a big blue Seat Alhambra!

Idle Jon yep I was thinking the same it’ll be a 0800 ish leave for me I think, although I haven’t hugely figured it out. I was hoping it wouldn’t rain to Biblical proportions like it has all week with a view it would let the course dry out a bit alas no 🙁 I don’t want to lose ANOTHER rear mech!!

will
    Free Member

MC – Well done at Kettering, and well done on the win!

Seniors only had 17 in it, the majority of which were the regulars though, so it wasn’t an easy field! Pretty poor start despite being gridded on the front, wound it up over the next few laps and managed to get into 3rd, and was pulling away, then I snapped my chain about a mile from the bloody pits, so had to run, swapped bikes, now on last lap, i’d been passed by two guys so was sat in 5th, but managed to catch 4th and was slowly catching 3rd again, I might do it! Then got a back puncture in the same place, so ad to run for the remainder of the lap, getting caught by 4th, so settled for 5th.

Overall really pleased with my performance in my first season, did 5 races (in central league) and finished 13th in the league. Aiming for top 3 next year with a bit more planning, training and some more bikes.

Viewing 40 posts - 481 through 520 (of 525 total)

The topic ‘2015/2016 winter 'cross racing thread’ is closed to new replies.