Viewing 40 posts - 441 through 480 (of 525 total)
  • 2015/2016 winter 'cross racing thread
  • ferrals
    Free Member

Anyone been able to watch the replay of heusden-zolder? Ucichannel on YouTube said not available in this country, never had that before with ucichannel and all the other races are fine.

eddie11
    Free Member

That race only was on Eurosport live which apparently affected the uci channel rights.

If you search for Zolder in the last 48hrs on YouTube there are a couple of full replays in Flemish. Interesting little race. Cyclingfans is good for cross coverage

ferrals
    Free Member

Cheers, think I’m going to have start learning Flemish!

Jase
    Free Member

Daughter raced the Rockingham Central League race today, ripped rear mech hanger off after less than a lap!

Garry_Lager

Smooth course at Macclesfield today – Plenty of twisty, off-camber turns with no serious mud to speak of.
    Was fine for a couple of laps but the weeks aleing soon caught up with me – had me IPA legs on. Normally feel better as the race goes on, felt progessively worse today. Was nice to get out for a blast in any case.

ferrals
    Free Member

Only a ‘fun’ 1/2hr fancy dress race but my legs were caning today too – way too much gluttony the last week, not helped by not warming up at all. So good to be ploughing through mud though 🙂

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Yes Central league course yesterday was sponsored by Shimano! We went with 3 bikes. Crashtestmonkey ripped his rear mech off after 1 1/2 laps! Off I went cracking start . . 1 1/2 lapis went for a bike change as I physically couldn’t turn the pedals due to the clogging got to the gravel corner of death ripped rear mech off!! Ran 3/4 of a lap.back to pits . . Boy does my spare bike (Dolan) weigh a ton!! Swapped back to Focus felt quick, legs were good, was gaining on woman in front of me! Bike started getting jammed again! Stopped attempted to clear it . . Then corner of doom tried to avoid the gravel but no **** rear mech went! Expensive day out! Long drive for 3 bikes to break!!! 18 women started 11 finished I came 11 th so pleased that I continue with my run of never having DNF’d in a race! But guessing that result be the one I ditch!

Shame as I wanted a really good race before the Nationals in 2 weeks time! Last 3 races haven’t been so good!

davidjey
    Free Member

I’m up in Birmingham for christmas so I made a guest appearance at Central League yesterday. Not wanting to bring a car load of stuff away for christmas, I’d got one bike and no spare wheels. I knew after a practice lap I’d be lucky if my bike lasted the race. It didn’t!

I made it to about 30 mins before any major drivetrain problems, then the rear mech started playing up – I stopped to clear mud from it with a tyre lever I’d pocketed for this purpose (!) but couldn’t do much with it. From then on it was just a case of trying to make it round. My hanger went bang after about 50 mins and about 200m from the finish line. I carried to the finish and stood a few metres from the line (with two other riders in the same predicament) waiting for the leader to come through and get the chequered flag, and then crossed the line on foot. Two laps down but no way I was ending my season with a DNF!!!

A shame it was such an attritional race because the course was great – a nice mix of grunt on the open sections and lots of quite technical stuff (not my forte admittedly) in the woods.

That’s my season over now, I’m taking a couple of weeks off the bike before starting to think about the XC and road season!

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

I haven’t got the grunt/power for long muddy grassy drags but I enjoyed the techy bits, and after a typically poor start (see grunt comment) I was picking my way through the field until the hanger and mech went pop. It was a really thick clay mud- cleaning MC’s bike in the pits by hand (no washer, and hadn’t intended to be in pits!) it was pulling off the tyre sidewall in foot long strips!

More annoying for me is Central League counts your best 9 results from up to 14 races. With work I can only just race 9 (and that includes racing then going straight to a late shift), so 1 DNF means I will have at most 8 scored races. Which means when they tot up the league I’ll finish lower than people who I’ve consistently beaten but who’ve managed to turn up to more rounds.

Anyone been able to watch the replay of heusden-zolder?

I follow Cyclocrossable, Roderic Kreunen and cyclocrossfan on youtube as between them they upload most of the televised Belgian cross.

benji
    Free Member

Just had an email from British Cycling informing that Ripley Cyclocross on New Years day is cancelled.

Gutted was really looking forward to a SSCX race with other SSCXers, but no it’s not happening, guess it’s an extra horlicks for me tomorrow evening 🙁

aP
    Free Member
    adsh
    Free Member

Newbie dumb question – why the mech carnage with CX and mud? Thinking of doing a first CX event later this month on my XC bike and wondering if I ought to take a single speed instead?

aP
    Free Member

It’s not mud that causes the problem per se, it’s mud and grass/ leaves that clog the rear mech – just like they do with mtbs.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

So anyone racing the Nationals this weekend or at least watching? I’m down to start weather and conditions looking typically horrific and manky mind! Half lap bike changes due…which reminds me must attempt to borrow mate’s bike which is same as mine rather than have a shizzle bike (which is currently broken and in piece anyway!).

benji
    Free Member

No nationals for me, not quick enough yet. Have a good ride Munge, if the weather keeps like it is at the minute it’s going to be seriously messy.

LS
    Free Member

I’m riding the Elites on the Sunday but there all weekend pitting for teammates on the Saturday. If I’m honest, I’m hoping for a slog as I haven’t ridden a great many races this season so have few points and will be gridded midway down. If it’s a slow race that will be much less of a disadvantage.

rollindoughnut
    Free Member

Rather enjoyed today’s LCCA race.
    Slippery, wet mud but not clingy.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Eek thanks Benji! Hoping to borrow a better pit bike as mate’s reckon 1/2 lap changes! Never raced anything other than local little series so this is going to be a.SERIOUS eye opener! It was called Senior women when I entered then start list comes out as “Elite” LOL I am far from Elite 🙂 hope.it isn’t raining ON the day simply to make it more fun for spectators!!

LS
    Free Member

I am far from Elite

Same here but if that’s what they want to call us then once a year I’ll take it 😆
    It’s a great atmosphere and this year the Elite women’s field will be smaller due to the 16-23 category that’s been introduced, so it’ll be slightly less manic for you!
    The first lap of my race will be the usual bunfight until it settles down.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

It is a shame to a point all women aren’t racing together as for once you’d have a good battle with Vets (which is Sat) there could be close to 100 women there!!
    Was all casual, chilled out about it. Then phoned my mate who is helping in the pits (raced Commonwealths..so a very good competent rider) starts asking me loads of questions.So what are you doing in the pits? Have you thought about tyre pressure? What are your plans at the start?

Isn’t it smash it as fast and as hard as you like for 40 mins?? That not it . .am I missing something? LOL I will take the “elite” thing and also asmy name is sandwiched on the sign on sheet between Wyman and Harris.. . Closest I’m ever going to get to them 😉

LS
    Free Member

You’ve got it – smash it and hang on. Even if you’re gridded last you’ll still be on row 3 so there’s not much traffic around, just play safe on the opening half-lap and watch out for people making a mess of slower corners. Jump off early and run round them, plenty of people make mistakes as they’re trying too hard.
    From the pictures it’ll be very wet so tyre pressures as low as you dare, half-lap changes if required and just enjoy it as much as possible

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Awesome I think I’m coming down with something! Had scratchy throat for a few.stays laid off training. Last night about 2 hours kip got a bunged up nose and phlegmy throat, although I feel okay (except lack of sleep). Typical hey ho first year it’ll be fun . .gives me more excuses too when I suck 😉
    Heading down at lunchtime let’s see how messy and muddy the course is!!!

sefton
    Free Member

racing the senior race on Sunday…Guessing it will be a mud run (hopefully not another bradford)

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Sefton not called Senior renamed it as “Elite” 😉

sefton
    Free Member

The Elites will be up front…I’ll be on the back row trying not to get lapped! haha

ferrals
    Free Member

TCP gargle and a couple of blasts with vicks first defence Munge-chick, works wonders!

Good luck all racing!

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Sefton, LS how did you get on?

Wow that was THE most horrific, brutal CX race I have ever done. IT was more like an cross country run carrying your bike! I went for half lap bike changes so the off camber, steps (start/finish section) I barely rode ran most of it .. so it’s worth having a £3000 bike!! The wooded section was awesome except my crap Dolan’s gears were crap! I loved the wooded section and hated the rest! My average HR was 190!! My lungs were on fire more than they ever were before (yes I got ill) and I was shit .. I guess positives.. I finished! pissed off though as on the start line they said if you got lapped you would get pulled out but would get a finish time and position. Nope me and the other ladies after me are down as DNF! Feels a bit like a blinking kick in the teeth when I did finish!!!! Not sure it was a particularly motivating experience but ask me in a week when I’ve had time to digest it, and no doubt I will be back on that start line next year!

So chuffed foR Nikki Harris though, really wanted her to win.

Plus I’ve stupidly entered the National Trophy in MK this coming Sunday, WHY oh WHY? Wonder if I can get a refund now?? 🙂

So how did others get on?

plop_pants
    Free Member

I rode the V50s but with only one bike and no pit crew I wasn’t expecting to finish given the conditions. Weren’t allowed to do a practice lap either but to be fair you didn’t really need to except for being aware of the off camber exiting the tarmac straight. Happy to get third row on the grid so kept out of trouble when the whistle went. I was up in the top 20 but as the bike got heavier and heavier I lost places and finally finished 26th. Just happy to actually finish and I couldn’t have ridden any harder so quite satisfied really. I then pitted for my team mate in the V40s. He snapped his chain on the start straight! But being the star he is he ran all the way to the pits, dead last, and on his knackered old spare bike proceeded to work his way back through the field.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

26th awesome effort! you raced Sat so different conditions a lot of your stuff was thicker, gloopier, suckier mud? Did you enjoy it? Or is that a daft question?

plop_pants
    Free Member

Thanks Munge-chick. To be fair I think we had the best of the conditions, on the Saturday at least. I only had to run part of the bottom of the field where we exited the woods and some of the impossible bits around the finish area. Three hours later and my team mate, who is stronger than me, was running almost the whole of the field! On a circuit like that having good mud tubs made the world of difference but I’d love to know how much of a difference having a fresh bike every half lap would have made!

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Yes very true, changed hugely! all of that stuff near the finish lines around the steps was pretty much run the lot! I’d be intrigued to know how much running there was really. That off camber section for Vet Woman parts of it looked rideable! absolutely no chance today. But even watching the U14 girls carry there bikes along it yesterday was incredible!

plop_pants
    Free Member

… and I did enjoy it, I seem to like the epic days. The club/organisers did a great job. I wonder what the Sports Centre thinks of their grounds now though? Hope they can see that in a few weeks it’ll have mostly disappeared and don’t make any hasty decisions about a return in future.

LS
    Free Member

I managed 26th which I’m fairly happy with, not my best Nationals performance by a long way but it’s all I had. I actually really enjoyed it, both the racing element and the survival one of keeping the bike going, getting foot placing right during the running on the banks, all that stuff.
    I rode up the bank of doom each lap too which seemed to keep the crowd happy 🙂

Really chuffed for Liam and even more so for Nikki as I’ve known her and her family for years.

I haven’t yet decided whether riding yesterday or pitting all day on the Saturday was the hardest part. The guys helping me out yesterday were fantastic and must be shelled today!

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Erm how do I get a twitter picture onto here?

sefton
    Free Member

crispycross
    Free Member

On Saturday afternoon, fully one third of the lap was quicker to run. the overnight rain loosened things up a bit for the Sunday morning races but it was just bad again in the afternoon. I don’t think I’ll be the only one with DOMS today.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Would love to say I was chasing Harris alas I was getting lapped! look at the total look of concentration and focus on hers, versus brokenness on mine 🙂
    Was well chuffed when I just came across this picture on twitter.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

this was the pits before the Elite men.. this is the bottom end of the football field!!

So who is racing either Central league at MK on Saturday, or the National Trophy there on Sunday? I’m down to do both! Hopefully dry all week so maybe a less manky course for a change !

LS
    Free Member

I’m one of the commissaires at MK on Sunday after riding the final NDCXL on Saturday. Really hoping there’s not too much running, I don’t think I can face it!

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Cool LS see you there! I can’t face another run course! I’m racing Central league at MK sat so if awful I’ll post 😉 and then I won’t be there Sunday!!

Viewing 40 posts - 441 through 480 (of 525 total)

The topic ‘2015/2016 winter 'cross racing thread’ is closed to new replies.