• This topic has 7,395 replies, 232 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by WillH.
Viewing 40 posts - 1,761 through 1,800 (of 7,396 total)
  • 2015-16 rugby, world cup year
  • ourmaninthenorth

I see. Not altogether surprising given their roles (backs coach vs defence coach).

I think both are wrong.

But then I’m happy they were on Saturday!

wrecker
    Free Member

And T Youngs, Lawes and Cole are playing horribly at the minute!!!
    I wouldn’t start any of them against the aussies.

Hows about Dylan? 😉

I think Farrell is backs coach; Catt is skills coach (or similar).

penalty magnates

I’m not sure I’ve seen a better typo!!!!

Oh, and Mallinder, Greenwood and Baxter for the england coaching team please.

duckman

Brown is too far from things to be captain tbh. I may be biased as I think backs are like tits on a bull.

lunge

Brown is too far from things to be captain

Agreed. I could be persuaded that a 9 could work as captain (just ask Scotland, all their captains seem to be 9’s at the moment) but no-one further back than that. It’ll be Wood then I suppose, for lack of any other options.

I also suspect we’ll be asking the “who’ll be the next England coach” in the not too distant future.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

The green machine had a centre as captain. Not your everyday common or garden centre mind 😀 but still, a centre.

bombjack
    Free Member

As a Welsh fan I was pleasantly surprised by that result, I know the England team is coming in for a lot of stick, but if the game had been over at 65 mins Lancaster would have been vindicated for his starting XV. IMHO the team on the pitch should take the criticism and move on. Lancasters new starting players all played their part as requested – Farrell kicked well, Burgess stopped Roberts / drove the ball up, the wingers tidied up scraps and the Forwards had the beating of Wales at each set piece. The one thing Wales did better was to play as a team when they started to lose players & fitness. Warburton deserves a big pat on the back as he was immense in the final 10.
    This world cup is far from over, Wales still need a good game against Fiji and Aus, just as much as England do.

pk13

This is World Cup is vital for England if we go out next week back room staff have to go all of them, sir Clive’s sticking his name back into the ring but the games changed too far for that. So do we go southern and pick a foreign coaching staff and try and beat the southern teams at there own game(the way forward I think). Or stick to northern smash and grind.
    We have the players in this country I’m sure of that huge depth of club rugby to pick and train from. Lots of talk of bickering between cat and Farrell jrn and snr forwards and backs are no longer separate entities in world class rugby.

Roll on Saturday and let’s hope cooper puts the same boots on he had on Sunday

Pigface
    Free Member

There was talk on the radio of Wood being cited for booting Loopy Liam in the head.

dragon
    Free Member

Farrell wants burgess/barritt/farrel wallop type game.

Surely Farrells main coaching role is to act as defensive coach, and he got it wrong against Wales as they ran around the outside. Australia will look to exploit that gap even more effectively.

DanW
    Free Member

When picking the captain the first thing to think about is if they are a guaranteed pick which seems to be at the moment Cole, T Youngs, Lawes and Brown none of whom seem to be natural choices. Tom Wood is close and seems to get on the sheet most weeks

Cole and T Youngs are in by default at the moment for lack of other options. Youngs in particular probably shouldn’t start if Hartley was better behaved. Lawes and Wood again are hardly England’s first choice in an ideal world. Brown is a garunteed starter but not a captain for so many reasons. It is almost as though the Engalnd teams needs some young, fresh, form players to be given a chance and properly guided through the international ranks or something 😉

Farrell kicked well until the crucial lack of confidence at the end, Burgess did his trademark one or two good things a game and was a bit of a liability for the rest of the match, the back 3 are probably the only positive despite a little defensive error and the Forwards looked good off Marler’s hinging and Wales struggling set piece.

FTFY if going for a harsher view on things 😀

Yes if the match were 20 minutes shorter they could have got a result but there still would have been big question marks IMO

bombjack
    Free Member

Surely Farrells main coaching role is to act as defensive coach, and he got it wrong against Wales as they ran around the outside

Farrell (and TBH Edwards with Wales) set up the defence so the only way to score is around the outside. Keep the middle channels safe, and make the opposition force the ball out wide.

duckman

Pigface – Member

There was talk on the radio of Wood being cited for booting Loopy Liam in the head.

Posted 18 minutes ago #Report-Post

Reckless play,one game and a pack of orange clubs.
    Or not cited at all then!
    DanW,how much longer is Marler going to get away with hinging? Thats two games and he is so bad even contributers on a bike forum see it. I would be willing to bet the Aussies will be mentioning it to the ref in the meeting before the game.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

From the Beeb…

England flanker Tom Wood is free to play against Australia after he was not cited for the incident which saw Wales full-back Liam Williams knocked unconscious on Saturday.
    However, Wood has been given a warning after his shin made contact with Williams’ head as he tried to secure possession for Wales on the ground in the 28-25 win over the hosts at Twickenham.

DanW
    Free Member

Wood is free to play next weekend.

Wasn’t there an incident around the Attwood kicking North time where someone similarly clumsy got a reasonable ban?

dragon
    Free Member

Yes but I think on the whole the Welsh defence is better as they do drift when needed. England didn’t seem to be able to do it. As I understand it that was one of areas of the fallout between Farrell and Catt, Catt wants more of a drift defence, along with fast more skillful players for attacking.

wrecker
    Free Member

Gizza GIF of the head boot/shin a_a please?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Kearney (The “Rob” one, not the “Dave one) an injury worry for Wales. Tbh, if it was any way doubtful, I’d be more than happy to see Zebo in there wearing 15. Perhaps not as polished under a dropping ball, but he’s been creative in what I’ve seen of him so far and (again, while not necessarily as good as Kearney in contact) he’s improved that part of his game. Keef (actually looking alright so far) and Tommy can look after the wings. Really looking forward to the Italy game – the first two have been nice and pretty to watch but Italy will be a better test of Joe’s combinations and by no means, a gimme. Henshaw due to return for that game too.

Green machine staying nicely under the radar so far this tournament. 🙂

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Gizza GIF of the head boot/shin a_a please?

He might be teaching… 😀

There’s a link back a few oages from walesonline with a video of it.

One view:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujIhptUEUmg[/video]

And another:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1GG_iUT4jw[/video]

wrecker
    Free Member

Found it. No malice, but certainly reckless. He should have had a sit down after that.

DanW
    Free Member

DanW,how much longer is Marler going to get away with hinging?

He wasn’t even close to setting straight let alone pushing straight. I don’t watch enough Premiership rugby to know if it is a trait of his perhaps? I’m fairly sure Cole used to do the same thing a lot (for England at least) so maybe it is a conscious tactic for the team for an easy upper hand that is hard to monitor on ground level for the officials?

I have repeat what other have already said but the Canadian scrum is a thing of beauty!

Green machine staying nicely under the radar so far this tournament.

You’d hope so having only played the teams ranked 17th and 18th in the world 😆

If anyone needed to see that the rankings are bollocks then you’ll notice Wales are currently the second best team in the World 🙄 😆

DanW
    Free Member

Thinking back to an earlier comment about England caps. Only Care, Ben Youngs, Cole and Haskell have over 50 caps in the current squad (wider squad not RWC squad). Brown, Lawes and Robshaw (and David Wilson!) are in the 40’s. Of those probably only Ben Youngs and Brown get in to the team on form which must be a worry.

Also thinking back to who in the current team has a spine and won’t take a backwards step- I can only really think of Ben Youngs (though size will never be on his side!) and perhaps someone like Launchbury although he’s probably still a bit too nice???

I think if England can find some nasty locks and Catt gets his wishes in the backs then England could be a very, very good team.

bombjack
    Free Member

England could be a very, very good team

England are already a very good team, who can beat anyone in the world on their day. They only lost one match… If they step it up and beat Australia then the Wales match will be all but forgotten.
    Remember that Australia beat NZ in the Rugby Championship, yet NZ are still feared at the best in the world. Teams lose, teams win. Its how the guys on the pitch respond to it that matters.
    Personally I fear that the win took a little too much out of Wales. The last thing they need is knocks to any of the players (starting XV or otherwise). At this rate the WRU will be conscripting any centres with Welsh heritage.

anagallis_arvensis

f they step it up and beat Australia then the Wales match will be all but forgotten.

Not by me it wont!

wrecker
    Free Member

England are in complete disarray. They don’t appear to know how they want to play, even the coaches disagree.
    The established players seem to be able to keep their shirts regardless of how they perform (Cole, Wood, Lawes, Youngs, Barritt). Young dynamos bought in last minute then not played as they don’t have the game time, whilst beginners to the sport are given starting places.
    The old term “trundlemuppets” has never been more appropriate to an england team than it was on saturday, and even their trundling was crap.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

He should have had the nouse to say “not tonight lads” to the film crew though.

That was sort of my point. He wasn’t the right person to do an interview at the best of times so letting, or was it putting, him in front of the camera was stupid.

Oh and the best 15 in the RWC so far?

Goromaru.

DanW
    Free Member

My view is that England have a great group of players that amount to a good team. Any international team can beat any other on the day (just look at RSA – Japan) but the current lack of leadership and decision making all around doesn’t instill much confidence in the chances of them getting those wins.

Personally I fear that the win took a little too much out of Wales. The last thing they need is knocks to any of the players (starting XV or otherwise). At this rate the WRU will be conscripting any centres with Welsh heritage.

They need to beat Fiji to be fairly sure of getting through to the next round where they could then end up playing Scotland at this rate so even with injuries an optimistic fan would fancy their chances! Wales will always be in a position where injuries will weaken the team significantly but they have the benefit of some direction and knowing how they want team as a whole want to play. It will be interesting to see who gets called up- young guns or British and Irish Lions?

namastebuzz
    Free Member

best 15 of the tournament so far I’d say

Well, opinions differ. 😉

Israel Folau and Ben Smith might be a lot better.

Hogg, Cordero and Talebula might be a bit better.

Besides, being England’s best performer so far is nothing to write home about….. 🙁

DanW
    Free Member

Beale was looking handy too!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Australia’s backs looked silky…nearly as smooth as the green machine’s. 😀

But it was against Uruguay – be interesting to see what they’ll do against England. Can’t wait for that game. And Wales, in adversity, to beat Australia even if they haven’t in the last 157 games…might stick a few quid on that. 🙂

anagallis_arvensis

Anscombe likely to be next full back cab on the rank. Hook as a centre. I expect Wales will play as many of the starting 15 from saturday v Fiji as they can. Win and we go through. Expect Charteris to start over AWJ and Owens over Baldwin. Tips at 7 over Warbs. North to 13 Cuthbert to 14. My Nan at 11 and anyone elses nan to 15 tather than Morgan.

dbcooper
    Free Member

If england lose to Oz but get 2 bonus points for less than 7 points and 4 tries, and then win against Uruguay with 5 points they will have 13. If wales beat fiji with 4 points but lose to Oz by more than 7 then its gonna go on points difference.. Don’t be counting yer chickens.

DanW
    Free Member

The Welsh team for Fiji will be a tough call. They have to go all out for the win (ideally with a bonus point) so for me that means keeping Davies, Biggar and Roberts for sure even though it would be very bad news to get another injury here. North and Cuthburt will probably be on the wing with Lloyd Williams covering them again. No idea on the next pure wing to call up, probably none. Hook at Centre seems like a decent shout as I can only think of Beck as the only other capped centre left standing??? If Liam Williams ins’t fit then I can see Priestland starting. Charteris, Owens, Tiperic are good shouts too, maybe also Samson starting fitness depending.

Basically not a very first choice 15 but not far off as you say a_a

anagallis_arvensis

Tyler Morgan replaced Allen so he will play 13 if North doesnt. Charteris and Ken Owens on the bench for England was an odd choice but it makes sense now

molgrips
    Free Member

So essentially, Wales need a bonus point against Fiji to be sure?

scotroutes

[quote]Tournament rules

Teams receive four points for a win and two for a draw. A bonus point is awarded for scoring four tries or for a defeat by seven points or fewer.
    The winner and runner-up in each pool qualify for the quarter-finals.
    If two teams are level on points at the end of the group stage, then the winner of the match between those sides will go through.[/quote]If England and Wales both end up on 13, Wales go through

Freester

Just seen Billy Vunipola is out and England have called up Nick Easter to the squad.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Nandnondondlo suspended for game v Wales.

DanW
    Free Member

If two teams are level on points at the end of the group stage, then the winner of the match between those sides will go through.

Oooohhhh I like those rules. Didn’t know that thanks 😀

What did Nandnondondlonondondlo get up to? I like the citing commissioner’s name- Freek Burger!

Tom-B
    Free Member

More being singled out. Got any evidence for this or is it like the Lawes stuff. All in your head?

Evidence? We’re not in court ffs!! As for the Lawes comment? You’re either confusing me with someone else or making that one up….I haven’t mentioned Lawes at all!

Gutted to hear about Billy V….not a huge fan of his but he was okay on Saturday…..good god do I hate Nick Easter-he belongs with the vast majority of the rest of the RWC 2011 debacle, a horrid, distant memory.

dbcooper
    Free Member

scotroutes –

If England and Wales both end up on 13, Wales go through

Gotcha, at least there won’t be any arguments…

Viewing 40 posts - 1,761 through 1,800 (of 7,396 total)

The topic ‘2015-16 rugby, world cup year’ is closed to new replies.