• This topic has 7,395 replies, 232 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by WillH.
Viewing 40 posts - 1,441 through 1,480 (of 7,396 total)
  • 2015-16 rugby, world cup year
  • Scamper
    Free Member

Unless Farrell is injured or has an absolute shocker (and by that I mean an utter melt down) we won’t be seeing Ford starting for the rest of the World Cup. Swapping your number 10 on a game by game basis depending on the opposition is never a good idea particularly when your inexperienced back line is swapping and changing too.

IdleJon

Swapping your number 10 on a game by game basis depending on the opposition is never a good idea

Yeah, it always seems like a good idea but in reality it rarely works. (Unless you are NZ, of course, who can change a whole team..)

duckman

Ford,like Cipriani, was set up to fail. Lancaster doesn’t know how to coach players who can play what is in front of them,so he doesn’t trust them. Wonder what the reason was behind closed doors,probably Ford was dropped becuase his tackle count and ruck completion stats weren’t within the accepted level for an England 10.

iJon, I thought NZ stuttered last time once Carter was broken.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@tmh indeed it is, when we saw the fixtures we picked France Ireland as a top wish list game. Pleased to have seen JW in his final match at the Heineken final there. Outstanding atmosphere when the roof is shut and the crowd is singing for a Welsh home game too. Well worth trying to get tickets, even though we lost to golden boots kick a few years ago that match was one of the most atmospheric I’ve attended in 30 years, have promised ( 😉 ) the Mrs we will see Wales v France there one day

@jj’s uncle (my MTB mate) believes the injury will keep him out for a week

@aa agreed Lancaster’s reputation only rose again recently once he’d dropped Farrell.

tinybits
    Free Member

The utter arrogance of Wales is starting to show…

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/34345824

Total disrespect for the rules, thinking they are bigger than the game, should forfeit the game this weekend.

IdleJon

I am amazed that someone, somewhere, thinks that it is necessary to have legislation over the size of a training squad. I’d always assumed that teams to could train with whoever they wanted but that only x amount would make the final squad.

Why is this a problem?

duckman

Why is this a problem?

Because the gravy train that is blazership in any home union,ERC,the WC etc have to justify their existence. And then highlight “Abuses” of it…And that term pisses me off,what Isis do is abuse, what Wales did is an “infraction”

Kryton57

Lancaster’s reputation only rose again recently once he’d dropped Farrel

Perhaps becuase we all naively believed he would select talented on from players instead of his favorites? And now we revert back to the prior formula. 😐

jambalaya
    Free Member

@idle unrestricted training squads gives home nations and rich countries a further advantage.

lunge

Rugbys problem has always been points available for minor technical infringements, so teams play for it. I would go 2 pts for a pen, 10 for a try, with more sin bins for cynical play

Your problem there is that if you’re the defending team you have less incentive not to break the rules as the consequences are much less. So you end up with more fouls and less tries.

IdleJon

@idle unrestricted training squads gives home nations and rich countries a further advantage.

Yeah, that’s the only thing that I could come up with as well.

Although actually, having an unrestricted squad size would aid those nations who don’t have access to multitudes of good players, which is basically the whole world other than NZ and England.

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Lancaster’s reputation only rose again recently once he’d dropped Farrell

He only dropped Farrell because he’d been injured and had played virtually no rugby prior to the autumn tests yet still played him against NZ and SA prior to finally dropping him from the Samoa game when he was clearly off the pace. He then was injured for the 6N – without which Ford would almost certainly have been benched again. Interestingly, for the Samoa game SL didn’t have a FH on the bench at all but bought OF back on to the bench, once fit, against Australia. Presumably at the request (orders) of AF.

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Begs the question actually – who’s picking the England team?

Lets see. In one corner we have Andy Farrell. Played for Wigan at 16. GB at 18. Captained GB at 21. Twice Man of Steel. Golden Boot. Legend of RL. OBE. Hard as nails. Son in the England squad.

In the other. Stuart Lancaster. PE Teacher. Coaching Badge. Cycling Proficienty Test.

Which one is gonna be the stronger personality??

Houns

Anyone know if the ITV player app shows the games (well Eng v Wal) live?

My weekends plans may have gone tits up if it doesn’t

anagallis_arvensis

It does

dbcooper
    Free Member

Yes it does, watched the Sco-Jpn, Aus-Fiji, Fra-Rom games yesterday at work and at home all on itv player.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Have we all mentioned how much those animated 02 adverts on the tellybox make you want to go on a killing spree?

Houns

Thanks all

If anyone is in the bridges Ratlinghope on Saturday night you can watch it on my iPad as long as you buy me beer

Scamper
    Free Member

What are the chances of getting any kind of reception in Ratlinghope? I’m not sure they even have electricity unless your ipad can be powered by candle.

molgrips
    Free Member

This match reminds me of the time I tried to get a team together for the intermural rugby at uni….

EDIT although now they’ve got some points…

namastebuzz
    Free Member

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,3551_82251,00.html

sources close to the England camps have suggested that a strong difference of opinion between defence coach Andy Farrell and skills coach Mike Catt is emerging.

Mike Catt, the architect of England’s free flowing performance against France earlier this year, is known to be a fan of the talents of George Ford and we believe Catt’s thinking is his x-factor changes games.

Andy Farrell, a man with his roots firmly in rugby league, is said to consider that England’s recent decline in their defensive statistics is a direct result of playing a lightweight fly-half together with a less powerful centre (Joseph).

The differences of opinion are rumoured to be very strong, with a degree of intransigence from both coaches in terms of their thinking.

dantsw13

And both are probably right. Then it’s up to the boss to decide which is most important.

anagallis_arvensis

Sources close to the england team are leaking a lot!

namastebuzz
    Free Member

it’s up to the boss to decide which is most important.

He has decided – he’s picked his lad.

anagallis_arvensis

The nerves are getting to me already!! Looking forward to this game, Wales will need a few lucky breaks to win but do have a reasonable chance. Need players like North, Roberts, AWJ, Warburton, Faletau and Gethin to have big games…..

mikey3
    Free Member

Lancaster looks confused.England are going to lose.

anagallis_arvensis

You need Kryton back to gee you up a bit. A lack of English arrogance on this thread is not good enough!

IdleJon

Keep up a_a, it’s us Welsh who are arrogant. 😆

mikey3
    Free Member

I,m from neath so a confused Lancaster is fine by me 🙂

thegreatape
    Free Member

It’s not arrogance mate, it’s just the confidence that comes with knowing we are fundamentally better at the game. Your occasional lucky wins do not stand alongside the ongoing higher levels of play we have maintained over several decades.

DanW
    Free Member

Perfect 😉

thegreatape
    Free Member

HTH 🙂

jambalaya
    Free Member

@aa well I am more nervous now as Farrell / Burgess combination means we are aiming for a low scoring game, that’s one where one side can get a bit of luck or a decision go their way and they win the game. The England selection brings you back into the game @aa

Farrell / Catt – not sure what to make of that, planet-rugby I like a lot but they are not beyond some salacious gossip mongering. In any case Farrel junior is no defensive lion, in fact his temperament is such that he’s a liability.

Finally just heard the TERRIBLE rendition of World in Union used by ITV, there is a change.org petition to get it replaced.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member
    IdleJon

Finally just heard the TERRIBLE rendition of World in Union used by ITV, there is a change.org petition to get it replaced.

Haha, it is truly terrible isn’t it? My kids get the giggles when they hear it and we all burst into strangled renditions of it. I hope she (Paloma Faith?) is suitably embarassed.

BlindMelon
    Free Member

Ire team for Sun. Good to see Healy getting a start.

15. Simon Zebo (Cork Constitution/Munster)
    14. Tommy Bowe (Belfast Harlequins/Ulster)
    13. Jared Payne (Ulster)
    12. Darren Cave (Belfast Harlequins/Ulster)
    11. Keith Earls (Young Munster/Munster)
    10. Ian Madigan (Blackrock College/Leinster)
    9. Eoin Reddan (Old Crescent/Leinster)

1. Cian Healy (Clontarf/Leinster)
    2. Richardt Strauss (Old Wesley/Leinster)
    3. Nathan White (Connacht)
    4. Donnacha Ryan (Shannon/Munster)
    5. Devin Toner (Lansdowne/Leinster)
    6. Jordi Murphy (Lansdowne/Leinster)
    7. Chris Henry (Malone/Ulster)
    8. Jamie Heaslip (Dublin University/Leinster) captain

Replacements
    16. Sean Cronin (St. Mary’s College/Leinster)
    17. Jack McGrath (St Mary’s College/Leinster)
    18. Tadhg Furlong (Clontarf/Leinster)
    19. Paul O’Connell (Young Munster)
    20. Sean O’Brien (UCD/Leinster)
    21. Conor Murray (Garryowen/Munster)
    22. Paddy Jackson (Dungannon)
    23. Rob Kearney (UCD/Leinster)

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

That’s a very tasty looking Oirish side there!

theotherjonv

Do sides have to be announced a fixed time before a match? Part of the fun in football is not knowing what team / tactics the other team are going to try until 45 mins before the game.

loum
    Free Member

Happy with that Ireland team.
    Like that Joe’s looking to have everyone involved, and he’s putting some thoughtful combinations out that should help players find their form – Cave, Payne, Bowe midfield together, Earls and Zebo in the back 3, and Mads and Reddan at halfbacks. If there’s any decent ball available then they should be able to spread play nice and quick.

Romania were pretty profesional up front against the French pack. Squeezed the scrum for as many penalties as they gave themselves, sometimes illegally IMO but got away with it – they seem to know what they’re doing more than the ref did the other night. Not as much to offer behind, but they’ll play to their strengths and give any pack a challenge. Healy’s in for a good battle to test that fitness, even more for White/Furlong ‘cos it looked like the loosehead doing a lot of their damage. Should be a good game.

loum
    Free Member

Can’t understand all the fuss round the England team selection.
    Think Geech makes good points above, cheers THM, that it’s the most appropriate side available to him.
    33cap, 24 year old improving fly half replaces 14 cap 22 year old improving fly half. Neither are Dan Carter.
    And they pick their biggest back they’ve got against Wales?

Any Welsh can say why Tipuric’s not starting?
    Been best Welsh player this year, IMO.
    And Amos ahead of Cuthbert too? Is he good?

Viewing 40 posts - 1,441 through 1,480 (of 7,396 total)

The topic ‘2015-16 rugby, world cup year’ is closed to new replies.