• This topic has 7,395 replies, 232 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by WillH.
Viewing 40 posts - 1,401 through 1,440 (of 7,396 total)
  • 2015-16 rugby, world cup year
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Ball came out clean from every scrum.
    For Canada, it was a case of very quick strike/feed and straight out the back.
    For Ireland, there was a little squeeze to commit the opponents back row, then ease the pressure and let the ball out for the backs to use.

12 scrums, no penalties.

Even the two where the ref signaled penalty “advantage”, they still used the ball and ran it instead.
    Bit of a difference in class, but both sides committted to using the scrum as a platform for the backs to run the ball.

*Tears of joy here!*

That’s how it should work, and there’s no reason it shouldn’t! Lovely.

Tom-B
    Free Member

Well as someone else mentioned, England have somehow managed to make a world class pack somehow very weak of late…..as much as I think that he’s a tit, we really are missing Hartley.

They’d better start showing some form pretty quickly though as a team sheet that contains

10: Farrell
    12: Burgess
    13: Variety

**** me!! An average inside centre at 10, a flanker/RL player at 12 and a defensive lump of an inside centre at 13 😯 are we really playing that against Wales?!?!? If Wales weren’t so depleted and out of form I’d be predicting an absolute smashing!!!

anagallis_arvensis

Why arecWales out of form. Last game for the first choicers was a tidy away win in Dublin against a fairly strong Ireland.

dantsw13

In many ways, it is a team especially for Wales. Their main channel would have been at the 10. Defending with Farrell Burgess and Barritt nullifies that. I think England have decided the best way to beat Wales is defend hard and kick your points. That’s Farrells game.

dantsw13

The lack of BP could really hurt Aus from today’s game. They looked nailed on, but seemed to flag.

Scamper
    Free Member

who was England’s 10 Dan last time England beat Wales? Can’t see the ball getting out to England’s wings. If England loose at least May can get blamed for it on here as usual. 🙂

Kryton57

In many ways, it is a team especially for Wales. Their main channel would have been at the 10. Defending with Farrell Burgess and Barritt nullifies that. I think England have decided the best way to beat Wales is defend hard and kick your points. That’s Farrells game.

Very good point, well made.

dantsw13

Agreed, but Ford was on good form last year, and Farrell injured. I actually think Farrell linked well when he came on against Fiji, and in the first France game.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Wasn’t expecting Romania to be this good! To last out until half an hour before conceding a try is pretty impressive!

wrecker
    Free Member

I actually think Farrell linked well when he came on against Fiji, and in the first France game.

He did. Some people just become too entrenched and don’t like the whole “play on form” thing.

anagallis_arvensis

n many ways, it is a team especially for Wales. Their main channel would have been at the 10. Defending with Farrell Burgess and Barritt nullifies that.

This may be true, but if England have real aspirationsxat this world cup then they should be trying to play their own game especially v teams like Wales. They are hardly the all blacks.

dantsw13

I have to say i don’t get all the Farrell Hate stuff. He has played well over the last few years in some big games against the SH teams.

Im sure I will get struck down by lightning, but I think he kicks goals as well as Wilkinson, kicks better out of hand, runs better, passes as well, and tackles as well.

wrecker
    Free Member

SMITE HIM LORD!

anagallis_arvensis

Anyway bollocks to England. COME ON WALES!

[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HdLcbsZtvt8[/video]

dantsw13

No, England aren’t the AB’s, and despite what ejects like Stephen Jones/Stuart Barnes may write in the press, if we try to be they will massacre us.

If you offered me:

1. Play great attacking rugby, but lose a thrilling game to Wales by a point, or,
    2. Grind out a 1 point slugfest

I’d take 2 every time. Game by game. Do you remember 2007? We were awful all tournament, but got to the final and should have won.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

If the Romanians had some half backs they’d be quite dangerous.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Interesting to see Percy from The Green Mile playing at 7 for Australia. Gamekeeper turned poacher no less.

DanW
    Free Member

Farrell hate 🙂

Well he had a long spell where his place kicking % went a bit iffy, has no distribution skills, has a temper, is petulant…. But he can tackle and kick for territory well which is safe enough for SL. I don’t hate him but he’s not a patch on sir Johnny 😉

nickjb
    Free Member

Do you remember 2007? We were awful all tournament, but got to the final and should have won

I remember it well. We did win. Mark Cueto sneaked in a try right on the line. It had to go the TMO but it was so clearly a try I switched off and went out and celebrated.

dantsw13

Sir Johnny was a metronomic goal kicker, which was exactly what England under Woodward needed. He was never a back line igniter though.

dantsw13

And do you remember our first game against SA in 2007. We were lucky to score nil that game!

There seems to be this belief that we need to beat everyone else, and do it the right way, in our media. I could pretty much write every Stephen Jones article on England before kick off each match ‘if this was the All-Blacks England would have lost” no matter who the opposition.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Pretty clear what sort of game England intend to play against Wales, I think the rise tinted definition is tight and controlled. Ford is a much better player than Farrel works totally one dimensional. You can’t possibly compare Farrell’s kicking to Wilkinsons, Farrel is a reliable-ish short range kicker. H/P and Wilkinson are more comparable.

Gutted for Japan who just ran out of puff, 4 days not enough to recover from such a Herculean effort.

Not sure we should have won the 2007, we where under pressure and playing catch up. The try/no-try was a big moment but I felt we couldn’t have too many complaints.

dantsw13

So is the Wales game about style or the result?

Australia looked amazing at times against Fiji, whereas we looked turgid. Yet we have a bonus point and they don’t. Results, points, wins, not glitz. Sort out the scrum, defend the channel with your life, kick territory, take the points, qualify. Stop trying to please Stuart Barnes.

duckman

Gutted for Japan who just ran out of puff, 4 days not enough to recover from such a Herculean effort.

You would be,see also Samoa and the USA in the next few days,who will also run out of steam,be cheated by the ref/irb scheduling etc.

duckman

In other news I see those cheating AB’s are at it again! Brodie Retallick got Mariano Garlarza banned till November by putting his eye into Garlarza’s fingers. Usual NZ bias shown;12 weeks for the Argentinian and NOTHING for the perpetrator.

anagallis_arvensis

I dont think Aus looked that great. True they run some pretty patterns in the backs but the hookers chucking was poor and they have very littlw grunt in the pack for making hard yards

dantsw13

They obviously watched the eng/Fiji game though – 2 catch/drive tries looked very simple. Scrum very solid against Fiji, who troubled England, although the feeding was a joke!!

onehundredthidiot

Chatting about rwc so far with mates. Especially the seemingly great play from “lesser” nations. Think its because they play rugby and the tier one teams actually now play some bastardised version, which is predictable to each other.

hels
    Free Member

Also, re the smaller rugby nations, they only have to play 4 games, so that is how they are approaching it. Makes it much more fun to watch than boring penalty fests.

anagallis_arvensis

I was sat watching it all last night thinking how shite modern rugby is. Bish bash bosh and repeat. I am not enjoying it really. I will be gripped for the welsh games but other than that I dont really care.

dantsw13

Rugbys problem has always been points available for minor technical infringements, so teams play for it. I would go 2 pts for a pen, 10 for a try, with more sin bins for cynical play.

bombjack
    Free Member

So it’ll be Dr Chin against the Mutant Burgess in the midfield. There will be some sore bodies come Sunday morning, TBH I’d be surprised if both 10’s see out the game. Gatland had better be booking Mr Miyagi for the half time rub down.

loum
    Free Member

Team: Mike Brown; Anthony Watson, Brad Barritt, Sam Burgess, Jonny May, Owen Farrell, Ben Youngs; Joe Marler, Tom Youngs, Dan Cole, Geoff Parling, Courtney Lawes, Tom Wood, Chris Robshaw, Billy Vunipola.

Replacements: Rob Webber, Mako Vunipola, Kieran Brookes, Joe Launchbury, James Haskell, Richard Wigglesworth, George Ford, Alex Goode.

bbc

Billy in at 8 too.

loum
    Free Member

JJ’s injured, my arse.
    It’s a bluff and he’ll be back next week.
    It’s what Sam was brought to Union for.

TimP
    Free Member

And do you remember our first game against SA in 2007. We were lucky to score nil that game!

I was there for that and the accuracy of the kicking from hand was incredible. I think the furthest I saw a player shift was 3 steps to get underneath the kick. Other than that for 80mins Eng kicked the ball to the FB, wings and back row in turn. It wasn’t even catching practice as you pretty much knew who would get it and that the chase would be at least 10 yards off.

Kryton57

JJ’s injured, my arse.
    It’s a bluff and he’ll be back next week.
    It’s what Sam was brought to Union for.

I’ve heard this from elsewhere.

TBH I’d be surprised if both 10’s see out the game.

Ford is on the bench, being saved for injury to Farell & the Aus game IMO and not “demoted” as reported by some pundits.

Personally I now see this as previously described; Defend and Kick. Although this time around we do have an decent attacking back three should it get loose in the second half.

It shows respect to Wales back line, lets hope we pull it off and Burgess shows us the talent we’ve been promised.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

That’s a lovely stadium you boys have down in Cardiff. Sat behind the posts with brilliant view except Fiji failed to cross the line right in front of us.

Mixed match that ebbed and flowed. The gulf was obvious in terms of consistency of play. Aus defence in midfield was well organised and highly effective. Gittau (?) put in three monster tackles on much, muich bigger oppo/. Fiji’s overreliance on bounce-passes was a bit odd 😉

I was with Aussies but supporting Fiji like 99% of the rest of the stadium. Made for a really fun atmosphere. The Aussies were genuinely shocked by the support for Fiji and were totally drowned out which is unusual.

I hate “Swing Low” Bllx but the irony of having that belted out at Cardiff made us smile!!!

Lots of bish, bash, bosh coming on Saturday by the looks of things….

Only complaint were the trains 😉

IdleJon

dantsw13 – Member
    Rugbys problem has always been points available for minor technical infringements, so teams play for it. I would go 2 pts for a pen, 10 for a try, with more sin bins for cynical play

The Welsh premiership is experimenting with 6 pts for a try, 2 for any kick, this season.

Sin bins were introduced to combat technical infringements iirc, rather than foul play. The irony is that we’re told that the refs are supposed to be targeting things like chop tackles and neck rolls (guaranteed card apparently) and then completely ignore or miss them. I’ve seen a neck roll in every game, with an especially nasty one in the Aus-Fiji game which was replayed a couple of times being ignored by all officials. As far as I remember nobody has been carded for it?

What’s the point in making these announcements? (The same goes for targetting straight put ins, rolling on the floor, etc, etc, ad infintum.. 🙄 )

anagallis_arvensis

Billy v playing better than morgan at the moment. If the selections for eng dont get them the win Lancaster will look daft!

anagallis_arvensis

WALES TEAM TO PLAY ENGLAND:

Liam Williams, George North, Scott Williams, Jamie Roberts, Hallam Amos, Dan Biggar, Gareth Davies, Gethin Jenkins, Scott Baldwin, Tomas Francis, Bradley Davies, Alun Wyn Jones, Dan Lydiate, Sam Warburton (Capt), Taulupe Faletau.

Replacements: Ken Owens, Aaron Jarvis, Samson Lee, Luke Charteris, Justin Tipuric, Lloyd Williams, Rhys Priestland, Alex Cuthbert.

Suprised Owens and Charteris not starting. Worried about having no loosehead cover on the bench. Other than that its as expected.

Viewing 40 posts - 1,401 through 1,440 (of 7,396 total)

The topic ‘2015-16 rugby, world cup year’ is closed to new replies.