• This topic has 7,395 replies, 232 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by WillH.
Viewing 40 posts - 1,321 through 1,360 (of 7,396 total)
  • 2015-16 rugby, world cup year
  • namastebuzz
    Free Member

Jap commentary on their winning try – only marginally more hysterical than it was in our living room.

Crank up the volume!

[video]https://youtu.be/TBFup2hEcAo[/video]

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Seriously though,Mallet and Smith?

Mallet I could take or leave but if he’d come with Smith I’d have taken him. Smith could probably have taught some of the England backs to play rugby properly.

Things like straightening, drawing a man and giving a pass for example.

tinybits
    Free Member

you’re forgetting that we paid something like £40k in recruitment costs to appoint the person already in charge. With that kind of expenditure, we must have the right man for the job!

I almost hope England get a good kicking in the next 2 games so we don’t have to go through another 4 years of Lancaster dross.

As to England’s style, well, it’ll have to be whatever they’ve trained for. I simply can’t work out how we have managed to convert a pack that looked at least as good as any other, and better than most to something so bloody awful.
    A scrum that doesn’t work (and why won’t Tom Youngs hook?), and no ability to compete for the ball at the breakdown, coupled with relatively slow forwards as well. Makes no sense at all.
    Still, however bad they’ll give wales a good kicking.

DanW
    Free Member

For me, it’s interesting how differnt coaches have different outlooks on making up a matchday 23.

Completely agree. When you break down the England bench in particular it is a case of pre-planned 50 minute impact subs vs injury cover. The one positive for England is that these subs seem to be making a difference and not disturbing the team overall as much as they did a short while ago. One could argue that they should be able to have their best players last 80 minutes but on the other hand it works and they don’t seem to be picking up injuries.

None of those are strengths in the current England team.You will beat what’s left of Wales,I have little doubt of that

Got to agree with Duckman (edit and Tinybits) on this. In the current squad who are the players who’ll march up the middle of any team and defend to such a level they could *hypothetically* stop a team like NZ in full flow?

The forwards playing as they did against Fiji wasn’t a tactic- if it was it was a stupid one and England were lucky to get away with it!

Genuine questions, who are the enforcers in defense and who are the muscular guaranteed gain line breakers in a tight attack for England taking current individuals’ form in to account?

12. Matt Giteau

From an Aus perspective this must make the fans very excited 😀 I do love watching Giteau at 12 so long as it isn’t against Wales

duckman

I think England will go through,not sure about as winners as your pack is not firing well enough to dominate Aus where they are still perceived as being weak…Aus’s backs are terrifying mind you,so any ball they get needs to be crap. However,scraping through and then beating us will be enough to keep Lancaster in a job for another 4 years….

OrmanCheep
    Free Member

One of us is watching with some kinted of tinted glasses. I never said they were the best at it though, thats just how they play traditional vis a vis natural strengths.

You’re not the first person to fluff that line…
    [video]https://youtu.be/F_yor5Od3yA[/video]

dantsw13

I’ve just watched a replay of SA v JPN. Wow. I’m not sure it was an appalling SA performance -Japan fully deserved to win, by playing great attacking rugby.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Watched bits of it back over the weekend too. All SA did was underestimate Japan wildly but once they found themselves in a dogfight, they didn’t adapt. And it was to Japan’s credit that SA didn’t have an answer. It’s blown the group wide open now. Not sure how confident the Scots will be for the game at Kingsholm but I wish I had a ticket for it. It’ll be a cracking game.

Anyone notice how quickly the ball came out the back of the Japan scrums? 😀 Fair dues, they accepted they were probably going to be pushed back so went for getting it out quickly.

duckman

I still fancy us to beat Japan.We aren’t the biggest ourselves and have a really good set of backs.We tend to struggle against teams that boss us up front (i.e almost everybody in int rugby) Japan will be sore as even though the Boks were poor,they were still big and hard..and poor. Japan also suddenly find themselves under a whole new type of pressure as well.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

I’m not sure it was an appalling SA performance

Tactically a mess – thought they could win the physical battle, so didn’t take points when they should have. All they had to offer on attack were tired old carthorses trying to bash up the middle of the field, constant handling errors and problems at the breakdown. Then on defence were getting turned inside out. Complacence and arrogance are the words that spring to mind, and they rightfully got beaten by a side that came to win.

Japan played out their skins, they had a game plan, and they hammered it out for the full 90 minutes.

DanW
    Free Member

*cough* 80 *cough* 😉

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Felt like 90. Felt like 190.

duckman

A pretty good assessment of the SA game plan there.Hopefully they can be that bad again…

tinybits
    Free Member

Anyone notice how quickly the ball came out the back of the Japan scrums? Fair dues, they accepted they were probably going to be pushed back so went for getting it out quickly.

This – in spades!

Why is it that all teams seem to now think that they have to win a penalty at each scrum, rather then just re start, tie in the fatties and get the damn ball out. If England is having trouble at scrum time, hook the damn ball (don’t try to push over it Tom Youngs) and get it out. Ball back in play, no disadvantage. Simples.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Especially when the penalties are by and large given in turns by the refs.

namastebuzz
    Free Member

tinybits – Member

I almost hope England get a good kicking in the next 2 games so we don’t have to go through another 4 years of Lancaster dross.

Indeed. Although in the (highly) unlikely event of us winning – all will be forgotten. 😉

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Just an observation: The last two RWC finals have been contested by teams that came from the same group. I wonder what the chances are of that happening again?

NZ/Arg – possible
    Fra/Ire – possible
    Aus/Eng/Wal – possible
    SA/Sco/Sam/Jap – unlikely but hey, after Saturday, who knows?

dantsw13

So, after the opening round, who is actually looking good??? Apart from Japan.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Just got round to watching the video of the Japanese commentary. Gotta love moments like that. 😀

As for who’s looking good? Too early to tell. Green machine are just building our hopes up before taking to the field with no injuries, Sexton on fire, Healey and O’Brien in the form of their lives and O’Connell at his belligerent best facing an injury ravaged France. And losing.

BlindMelon
    Free Member

Earls clearly enjoyed the welcome for the team in Burton on Trent, bloody Munster folk, no manners. 😀

anagallis_arvensis

Joseph a doubt for Englandshire.

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Joseph a doubt for Englandshire.

I saw that along with the BBC website saying:

Coach Stuart Lancaster may opt to move Barritt to 13 and bring in either Burgess or Farrell at inside centre.

Brad Barritt seems impervious to being dropped despite being totally s**t. First, being injured a lot somehow preserved his “certain starter” status and now being completely crap at 12 somehow elevates him to getting moved across to 13.

Can anyone, with a straight face, explain to me why Barritt should have ever played for England in the first place?

PS no uses of the following phrases are allowed: “When we beat the All Blacks”, “Defensive Centre” and “he looked good alongside Manu Tuilagi”.

anagallis_arvensis

Slade would be the best option surely? Wales would cope with Burgess and Barritt so much easier imo.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

“he looked good alongside Manu Tuilagi”.

😀

So, after the opening round, who is actually looking good???

Sonny Bill Williams

wrecker
    Free Member

Can’t deny that barritt isn’t the most creative player but he’s a long way from being shit. Not necessarily my selection (i’d like to see Slade in there), but I’d still pick him every single time ahead of Eastmond.

dantsw13

If Joseph is out, I think we may see the Burgess/Slade partnership rekindled.

namastebuzz
    Free Member

he’s a long way from being shit.

Against Fiji he was not a long way from being shit. In fact he was sharing the same seat….

mrhoppy

barritt isn’t the most creative player but he’s a long way from being shit.

I fully agree, shit would be offended to be compared to him.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Oh I dunno…really can’t wait for this game. 😀

DanW
    Free Member

Can anyone, with a straight face, explain to me why Barritt should have ever played for England in the first place?

He’s South African and they know how to win stuff? Oh wait 😀

He played under Farrell at Saracens with Jr? case of coaches picking who they know?

He looked good alongside Manu Tuilagi? Oh damn it! 😆

Slade would be the best option surely? Wales would cope with Burgess and Barritt so much easier imo.

The thought of Slade (or even Cipriani!) in the centres is worrying for Wales as they are capable of making and exploiting a gap against Gatlandball pretty well. Burgess is right on for Wales normal pattern of play. Farrell must be England’s wort option. If Ford wanted to play some rugby then Farell would end up stopping things dead for England one man along the line instead of at 10 like he has been doing for a while now.

DanW
    Free Member

Oh, and this is what a NZ second team looks like 😯

Colin Slade; Nehe Milner-Skudder, Malakai Fekitoa, Sonny Bill Williams, Julian Savea; Beauden Barrett, TJ Perenara; Ben Franks, Codie Taylor, Charlie Faumuina, Luke Romano, Sam Whitelock, Liam Messam, Sam Cane (capt), Victor Vito.

duckman

deadlydarcy – Member
    Oh I dunno…really can’t wait for this game.

POSTED 42 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST
    I agree,somebody is getting dogs abuse on Sat,because it didn’t matter to me who wins…As long as we beat Japan.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Yeah, can’t wait for that game either duckie. 😛

wrecker
    Free Member

One bad game doesn’t make a player shit. He’s had plenty more good games. I’d sooner have burrell in the squad, but I’d choose Barritt over KE and SB. He’s a better rugby player.

namastebuzz
    Free Member

One bad game doesn’t make a player shit. He’s had plenty more good games.

Well he had the game against Australia where he stood out for getting blood on his shirt. I can’t recall much else worth writing home about.

On a lighter note the DT are reporting:

In the single most radical upheaval of Stuart Lancaster’s time in charge, England have ripped up their midfield for the crucial World Cup pool game against Wales by dropping George Ford for Owen Farrell, starting Sam Burgess at inside centre for the first time in a high-profile test match and switching Brad Barritt to outside centre in place of the injured Jonathan Joseph.

Well forwards generally win matches but we all prefer talking about who plays in the backs. It looks like AF will finally get his dream midfield. Standing next to SL for the last 3 months and whispering “pick my lad” in his ear 15,237,874 times has finally paid off.

DanW
    Free Member

So the plan is to try and play like a traditional England side by the sound of those changes? Pressure on the pack to perform and I don’t doubt thy will

From the Welsh side, injuries to 15’s and in the centres and still no sign of Hook 😉

Allen was this morning released from the Wales squad and has been replaced by Newport Gwent Dragons centre Tyler Morgan.

anagallis_arvensis

Ford hasnt controlled games well recently. Running around like headless chickens v Fini was very daft.

dantsw13

I think Farrell has looked pretty good the last 2 times I’ve seen him. I’d still rather have Slade at 13 than Barrett

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Ford hasnt controlled games well recently

True but some of that has been down to the pack failing to provide decent ball and putting Ford on to the back foot.

anagallis_arvensis

The pack had good ball v Fiji and Ford tried to spend all game running round them in the backs rather than kick to the corners and pressure them.

Viewing 40 posts - 1,321 through 1,360 (of 7,396 total)

The topic ‘2015-16 rugby, world cup year’ is closed to new replies.