• This topic has 7,395 replies, 232 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by WillH.
Viewing 40 posts - 1,161 through 1,200 (of 7,396 total)
  • 2015-16 rugby, world cup year
  • DanW
    Free Member

why isn’t Cave in the ireland squad for the game?

He seems as popular with the Irish team as Hook is with Wales… not that the talent comparison is necessarily equal (Cave the better player of course)

wrecker
    Free Member

Joe quoted in Irish press as saying he knows what Cave can do and he will play against Romania

😯

Scamper
    Free Member

I thought the best angle for that final try was the one just about over head so no shortening of the lense like in cricket. It looked short but the TMO only used that angle once.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Yeah, not sure about Cave. Thankfully, it’s Joe leaving him out now, otherwise we’d have the Orangemen talking about conspiracies again. 😀 For some reason, Schmidt doesn’t seem very keen on him – personally, I think we have a lot of very good centres with not a lot to separate them, but no one stands out as world class yet (obviously BOD’s boots are hard to fill – and I don’t mean to bring him up mistily eyed, honestly). I honestly can’t complain massively when one gets chosen over another because it’s difficult to tell what the best combinations are. I guess Schmidt is working on consistent pairings. **** knows though… 🙂

In Joe we trust and all that shite…

(Never been past the QFs and that’s not going to change this time.)

wrecker
    Free Member

Is cave orange? I thought that was just gav?
    Dies Joe even know what Orange is (in the context of Ireland)
    Keep him in the crowd! Seems odd to me, he looked like a game changer when I’ve seen him play; smart, good hands, **** along.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Oh Cripes…did anyone just see that bit comparing the two Hakas on Newsnight? 😆

I’ve no idea when the old one was but it from from British Pathé footage. Please someone have a look at it on iplayer.

😆 😆 😆

wrecker
    Free Member

Is that the embarrassing limp hands one? It’s excellent, and should be rolled out at every opportunity 😀

IdleJon

It looked short but the TMO only used that angle once.

Overall, I don’t think the TMO adds any value to the game. Two tries tonight are disputed, and no less with the benefit of replays.

This morning, Taranaki v Waikato, two interesting TMO interventions. One, the tackled player places the ball clearly backwards but the tackler catches it with his shin and knocks it forward. Try wrongly disallowed for a knock on. Later, a prop punches Charlie Gnatai three times in the face but the TMO recommends a penalty only. Wtf?

Last week, an Irish region player catches a cross field kick to score. Ref asks tmo if that player is on-side, tmo looks at the wrong player and declares that all is good. Actual player is off-screen, probably on-side but we’ll never know because the (Welsh) tmo is crap.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

@wrecker, no, I was just taking the pish from when Ulster fans whinged constantly when O’Sullivan was only selecting Munster and Leinster players.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Last week, an Irish region player…

Come and have a sit down with me in pedants corner IdleJon. We don’t have “regions”. We have provinces. 😛

IdleJon

We have provinces.

Not used to so much alcoholllk, and being in interwbx at this tome of night.. 😆

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

😀

IdleJon

And he MUST have been offside, being Irish and all. 😆

wrecker
    Free Member

Two tries tonight are disputed, and no less with the benefit of replays.

The first one was clearly a knock on by matawalu. Not sure what the second one was.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Has a_a been stroked with the banhammer on the opening weekend of the RWC?!? 😯 (Hopefully not, but he went very quiet after a mention of a post deletion.)

Anyway…thought the Inverdale fans might like this from the guardian review of ITV’s coverage:

While ITV has employed former players of various nationalities to peddle opinion on their World Cup coverage, any pretence it was going to be anything other than totally chariot-centric was quickly put to bed when John Inverdale, a presenter who could scarcely bawl “Home Counties” more loudly if he was shouting through a megaphone fashioned from a rolled-up copy of the Daily Telegraph, introduced an all-English panel of studio experts comprised of Jonny Wilkinson, Sir Clive Woodward and Lawrence Dallaglio.

😆

Full review here: http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/sep/18/itv-rugby-world-cup-coverage-fiji-england?CMP=share_btn_tw

jambalaya
    Free Member

@wrecker if we win the group (which I think we will) we play Scotland in QF so we should be good for a SF. That’s my base case expectation.

Kryton57

g forward passes and getting angry about giving away mindless penalties and doing nothing to resemble an international

That was my observation too. I’ve a feeling AA retorted to my comedy Welsh language post, but cmon mods he may be Spikey in disguise but he makes a good contribution to this thread. let him back in time for next week at least.

anagallis_arvensis

If the welsh play warrenball against this lot, they’ll find themselves in a spot of bother, especially without the excellent JD2 to add a bit of sparkle. George won’t get any change from Nadolo and roberts will just get dumped time after time. Fiji’s defence was excellent and they obviously know who to target. It won’t be a big score.

Fiji are a average side. Wales should beat them. Having said that they made a lot of errors last night so can improve a lot. They will also have targetted the Wales game ever since the pool was decided. Walescare certainly capable of losing it though.
    Having said all that if England are stupid enough to try and go wide early v Fiji as they did all last night to very little effect, their scrum remains as weak as last night, Ford fails to dominate the game and get itbplayed in the right areas and they persist with Morgan over Billy V then Wales have a real chance v england.
    I still think england will top the group with Aus second but England have a lot of work to do.

Oh and Nadolo plays left wing so wont be v North.

anagallis_arvensis

My post got deleted for trying to get round the swear filter. It was an error on my part. I was just making a joke re Inverdales slip of the tongue on the horse racing a year or so ago.

Very NSFW

duckman

Kryton57 – Member

That was my observation too. I’ve a feeling AA retorted to my comedy Welsh language post,
    You do seem to view the Welsh in much the same way Jam views the Scots.
    Wee point of law, the reason you get the “Is there any any reason I can’t award the try?” Line is because once it is awarded there is no going back. He did loose control,but the ref gave it. His appetite will be gone this morning as his appraisal will be negative.
    As DD said, job done by Engerland…But as the risk of being one of the great political thinkers ” bitter heaters” England will not win the group playing like that. The defence was poor and even the set piece will need work,Marler hinged from first to last; that will be noticed. The really big teams would be controlled against Fiji, England didn’t do that last night.

Oh,and inverdale is just doing the England games,right?

DanW
    Free Member

Whatever you think of the TMO or anything else for that matter on the game last night… I think it is hard to disagree that the outcome completely flattered England…. and in one sense I guess that is the most positive sign of all for them.

ferrals
    Free Member

Poor coverage and overuse of the tmo spoiled the game. Also found the repeated explanation of basic rugby a bit wearing, but I guess this competition will have all and sundry watching.

Did think the ref was slightly in England’s favour. Re. The (correctly) disallowed try, I had a google and while you used not to be allowed to repeal them, you can now on advice of the touch judge. However in this case it seemed from the tv coverage / commentators that he sent it to the tmo after seeing the big screen, not on advice of the touch judge? So it was illegally disallowed?

jambalaya
    Free Member

@duckman re Sots, either you are confusing me with someone else or mixing up my views on the snp as applying to all scots. 55% of Scots ticked the correct box in Sep 2014 so I’m very happy about that, the 45% that didnt are entitled to make that choice

anagallis_arvensis

DanW
    Free Member

May seemed to be at the centre of most of the dodgy calls (knock on, forward pass, jumping in to the tackle, etc). Of course these are just in the non-English imagination 😉 😆

I also found it quite funny how the commentary were backing Tom Youngs so much- every time he dropped the ball or did something daft they blamed another player for his mistake 😆

wrecker
    Free Member

May seemed to be at the centre of most of the dodgy calls

Aaaaaah, I though the vid was to show brown being tackled around the neck.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Tom Youngs. Can’t hook, can’t throw. He must be really good at downing yards of ale or something.

jambalaya
    Free Member

We don’t care @aa. 😉

The performance and result yesterday is far more preferable than our 0-36 in 2007. Tricky game out of the way, with a better goal kicking performance they would have been many more twitchy moments. Yesterday reminded me a bit if the 2007 QF where they got to 20-20 against RSA just let it slip towards the end where they run out of puff and don’t have the kicking / positional game. Hopefully Figi will produce a big performance against Wales or Australia,. I feel for them being in this group as they are good enough for a QF really

molgrips
    Free Member

So – who’s watching what today?

deepreddave
    Free Member

adamhicks – Member

“Can the idiot commentator please stop calling him NANDOLO. It’s Nadolo you numpty.”

In Fijians “d” is pronounced “nd”, so for example Nadi is pronounced Nandi etc

Darn, I pondered (for a second) but everybody else was referring to him as Nadolo. Bugger.

IdleJon

molgrips – Member

So – who’s watching what today?

I’m watching my work computer screen until 3, then cycling home to a wife who is already planning to divorce me (for making a really nice meal last night, believe it or not 😆 ) and trying to persuade her that a full night of rugby is the way forward…

anagallis_arvensis

“To be truthfully honest with you, I didn’t know that bonus points counted in the World Cup,” Vunipola said.

What does this tell us about the coaching and on field leadership?

DanW
    Free Member

It’s ok, the commentary reported he is eating fewer Jelly Babies and has lost 7kg as a result. Coaching and professionalism at its finest 😆 (or maybe commentary 😉 )

Kryton57

You do seem to view the Welsh in much the same way Jam views the Scots.

I’m just being antagonistic, very childish of me.

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Tom Youngs. Can’t hook, can’t throw.

He used to be a centre – maybe they should try him at 12? Seeing as Lancaster seems to have tried every other c**t there.

DanW
    Free Member

Did he play League though? 😉

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Did he play League though?

Aaaaaah! I hadn’t thought of that. Good point.

He couldn’t, therefore, follow in the footsteps of those luminaries who’ve played at inside centre for England in RWCs such as Andy Farrell and Shontayne Hape.

namastebuzz
    Free Member

What does this tell us about the coaching and on field leadership?

Kinda what we already knew….. 😕

Kryton57

It’s so annoying. The only go forward 12 we have is Burgess, who’s shown a shocking defence. Barrit was practically invisible, even Robshaw looked less obvious. I think there were two phases of forwards carrying it up, the rest of the time we were throwing it around.

I thinking the players need to be left to play they game they know, like not or not. I suspect it’s “tactical play” that’s pushing them outside our own strengths. Forget the bollocks and crack on as usual, win or lose.

Mike Brown can’t win the World Cup on his own, although obviously he’s going to give it a crack.

DanW
    Free Member

*All* England had to do was get the forwards to keep taking it up the middle, control the game and pick off the inevitable penalties and gaps from indiscipline/ tiredness. They didn’t do any of that and still got a bonus point win which is probably more than they would have gotten from playing Fiji *properly*- some kind of hidden genius in the strategy there!

Viewing 40 posts - 1,161 through 1,200 (of 7,396 total)

The topic ‘2015-16 rugby, world cup year’ is closed to new replies.