Home Forums Bike Forum 2012 Mavic Crossmax SLR – To buy or not to buy?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • 2012 Mavic Crossmax SLR – To buy or not to buy?
  • hairyjeremy
    Free Member

Need to change my wheelset and have always been a big fan of Mavics, but having read a whole bunch of bad reviews about their latest featherweight milled rims, high maintenance hubs and creaky spokes I am wondering if the current range are worth the hefty investment. Is this true or just the views of a vocal minority?

jedi

both my wheels sets have been good. i ruined one bearing with a jet wash though 😀

gee
    Free Member

I don’t like them for the reasons you’ve mentioned.

Kings or 240s on Stans rims – durable, light, easy to mend…

GB

cynic-al
    Free Member

It concurs with what I hear.

jedi

i been smacking the hell out of mine for months now. 7 days a week of rotational love 🙂

hairyjeremy
    Free Member

Is an annual servicing of freewheel hubs common to all makes or is the Mavic more needy than most? Can’t say I’ve ever bothered myself.

jedi

i moved from chris king ages ago onto hadley then onto crossmax completes.
    no regrets at all

proberts
    Free Member

I recently got some 2012 ST’s…..very happy with them!!

njee20
    Free Member

But Tony you’re presumably not using SLRs, so the points mentioned are pretty moot…

Gee +1

They’re not light, spares are hard to come by and they’re expensive.

jedi

he says are the current range worthy! i got sx and st’s

LardLover
    Free Member

Good time to buy especially as they have their MP3 Crash Replacement for only a £1 (until May 15th). It convinced me I needed* a pair of Ksyrium SLR’s

(* = wanted)

onandon
    Free Member

I use to swear by my SLR and SL wheels until I purchased some DT 240 on Olympics while the SLRs were off for repair.
    The SLRs were sold as soon as I had them back. They (SLRs) are great looking but dont do anything better than cheaper custom builds or even factory American classic wheels .

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

I had to put a new rim on one of mne £135 each plus spokes ouch!
    As far as I know there is no UK stockist all spares come from France and have to be ordered. Back on CK / hope stans now.

hairyjeremy
    Free Member

Thanks all.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘2012 Mavic Crossmax SLR – To buy or not to buy?’ is closed to new replies.