Viewing 40 posts - 321 through 360 (of 1,032 total)
  • "1,400 children were subjected to "appalling" sexual exploitation in Rotherham"
  • big_n_daft
    Free Member

I imagine shes the sort of manager who attended top-line meetings with all the other departments and didn’t get too involved in of the issues that her department title infers

probably to ensure she maintained her “Common Purpose” with them

Rich_s

Keith Vaz

There appears to be a competition going on to see who can be the most bare-faced in absolving themselves of any responsibility whatsoever, for absolutely anything at all, and point blank refusing to resign, carrying on picking up their massive salaries, as they march towards their gold-plated pensions.

Ah, yes.

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

Pressure now growing on 2nd head of Child Abuse inquiry to leave, after links to Leon Brittan revealed:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-29155855

This follows Baroness Butler Sloss’s departure after conflicts of interest were revealed

The MPs who sent the original letter asking for the inquiry to be set up were not consulted on the appointment:

http://www.exaronews.com/articles/5284/every-mp-asked-to-back-inquiry-into-organised-child-sex-abuse

Curious also that a Tax Lawyer should be chosen for the role, especially when some very dark allegations surround Jersey, the worlds wealthiest Tax Haven, with close financial links to the City of London, of which Woolf is the Lord Mayor.

Of further note is William Hague’s alleged involvement in a cover up, involving the Jillings Report into abuse in North Wales… one of my previous posts has already shown the likely links between evidence presented to the Macur review and his standing down in the cabinet reshuffle.

More interesting still are allegations that he attended Dolphin Square parties and had an early morning meeting with Leon Brittan on Brighton Beach… you can google that one yourself

MoreCashThanDash

That these monstrous, shameless parasites think that their positions are in any way defensible just shows how much the concept of ‘Public Servant’ has been corrupted beyond any recognition in this country

As a fairly conscientious public servant, married to an equally conscientious one directly involved in child protection, please don’t confuse senior career managers in thrall to the gravy train with the hard working frontline staff trying to do the impossible with reducing staff levels and funding

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

Great Simon Danczuk piece on the manipulations of Theresa May and the home office as they try to roll out yet another cover up:

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/sep/09/theresa-may-child-sex-abuse-inquiry-light-of-day?CMP=twt_gu

Please sign this petition to make sure Woolf, with her links to Leon Brittan, does not hold her position as chair of the inquiry, as given allegations surrounding Elm Guest House, this is a major conflict of interest:

https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/block-fiona-woolf-from-chairing-csa-enquiry?

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

Goodness me, who’d have thought it, missing files again!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-29660345

wilburt
    Free Member

I may have said before; circa 2008 I got into a long conversation with a South Yorkshire police officer who had taken early retirement and moved to Scotland. He said he left because he could no longer stomach the cover up of offences by committed by members of the Pakistani community and the accusations of racism dished out to anyone who questioned the absence of action.

I don’t think it was part of a considered conspiracy more the cumalitive effect of stupity and incompetence and perhaps a focus on self interest you would like to think is absent from those in public office but is obviously just as powerful as in any other job.

I hope he’s still about to watch this unfold.

wilburt
    Free Member

Jivehondyjive
    Could you put your accusations in summary ?

Junkyard
    Free Member

That is the one thing they most definitely cannot do

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

Could you put your accusations in summary ?

To be fair to Junkyard, there is so many instances of cover-ups involving child abuse as to verge on the ridiculous.

Hence the setting up of the national inquiry (http://www.exaronews.com/articles/5284/every-mp-asked-to-back-inquiry-into-organised-child-sex-abuse please take the time to read the letter within) which going by the reluctance of the home office to allow any external input into the chair or panel members (the home office itself will be reviewed under the inquiry, as it is responsible for the intelligence services as well as the police) is another cover up in the making, set up to relieve public pressure and avoid excess suspicion.

There are several allegations by victims, care workers, and former intelligence staff that many of these cases involved Mi5 who used care homes to source children to be prostituted to influential figures, who could then be coerced for the political purposes.

Across much of the colonized world, there does seem to be a strange pattern of organized child trafficking and abuse, often involving high ranking members of society and the intelligence services, which is covered up to the best of the respective governments ability.

All the above, I know to be true, having done 100s of hours of research with credible sources.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Report published. Quotes such as “was more concerned about protecting its reputation than protecting its most vulnerable citizens”. “Council not fit for purpose”.

Entire council leadership has resigned.

Report Here

From the foreward. I have only had time to read that page but it makes very disturbing reading.

Terrible things happened in Rotherham and on a significant scale. Children were
    sexually exploited by men who came largely from the Pakistani Heritage
    Community. Not enough was done to acknowledge this, to stop it happening, to protect
    children, to support victims and to apprehend perpetrators.
    Upon arriving in Rotherham, these I thought were the uncontested facts. My job was to
    conduct an inspection and decide whether the Council was now fit for purpose.
    However this was not the situation I encountered when I reached Rotherham. Instead, I
    found a Council in denial. They denied that there had been a problem, or if there had
    been, that it was as big as was said. If there was a problem they certainly were not told –
    it was someone else’s job. They were no worse than anyone else. They had won
    awards. The media were out to get them.

From the Exec Sumary

Rotherham Metropolitan Borough Council is not fit for purpose. It is failing in its legal
    obligation to secure continuous improvement in the way in which it exercises its
    functions. In particular, it is failing in its duties to protect vulnerable children and
    young people from harm.

The Council’s culture is unhealthy: bullying, sexism, suppression and misplaced
    ‘political correctness’ have cemented its failures. The Council is currently incapable
    of tackling its weaknesses, without a sustained intervention.

ninfan
    Free Member

Just started reading this myself Jambalaya, utterly shocking

Council taken back under Whitehall control, that must be fairly unprecedented

Sounds like the whole things also been handed to the national crime agency to investigate and prosecute 😯

matt_outandabout

The Council’s culture is unhealthy: bullying, sexism, suppression and misplaced
    ‘political correctness’ have cemented its failures. The Council is currently incapable
    of tackling its weaknesses, without a sustained intervention.

Yep, that sounds like the lot I worked for 10 years ago.
    Shocking stuff in that report.

MoreCashThanDash

It also appears to have become the place to go and make a name for yourself as being one of the people who went in and sorted it out. Presumably on the basis of whatever happens, it can’t get any worse.

slowoldman

Seems a bit strange to me though that the whole of the council are deemed unfit for purpose. I bet a lot of departments are thrilled to hear that.

martinhutch

I’ve never seen such a plain-talking and utterly scathing opening to a report about local government. My God she doesn’t mince her words.

The Council does not use inspection to learn and improve. Members are overly reliant
    on officers and do not challenge tenaciously enough to ensure improvements.
    Meeting and action plans are numerous but unproductive, with a tendency towards
    inertia.
    Some Members have not set and modelled the high standards expected of those in
    public life. Historic concerns around conduct have not been effectively tackled.
    RMBC has a culture of suppressing bad news and ignoring difficult issues. This
    culture is deep-rooted; RMBC goes to some length to cover up information and to
    silence whistle-blowers.
    RMBC needs a fresh start.

matt_outandabout

Having worked with the department and senior lot that ran their outdoor centres, I can believe they were not fit for purpose.
    There is a reason I stopped work for them – after being asked to be acting head of centre for three weeks at one day’s notice…I did the three weeks and ran.

patriotpro
    Free Member

Some media still STILL referencing “Asians”…*shakes head*

craigxxl
    Free Member

I’ve never seen such a plain-talking and utterly scathing opening to a report about local government. My God she doesn’t mince her words.

Nor should she. A few more honest opinions of local council would be welcomed in my eyes.

hora
    Free Member

Will this be the only council?

jambalaya
    Free Member

Interesting perspective @matt

Whilst I can understand the sensitivity of taking aciton against a specific group and risk being called a racist we all would like to think that at some point there is a line which says, “what the heck I have to do the right thing”

kimbers

prosecutions to follow?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

what the heck I have to do the right thing

It’s hard when the PC Brigade (I must look up their uniform) is stopping you being a bit racisty though. Wasn’t that what was decided back when this all came out?

matt_outandabout

@hora – I bet there will be more, but who knows if it is on this scale…

More importantly, I wonder if this report and following police work may make some of our civil servants understand that their responsibility is to country and people, not clambering the ladder, playing power games and covering ar*e.

midlifecrashes

Will this be the only council?

Neighbouring Doncaster was stripped of Children’s Services in 2013, after many widely publicised failures. It is now being run by a quango of Whitehall appointees.

matt_outandabout

jambalaya – Member

Interesting perspective @matt
    To put some more information down (and as a few examples)
    * I was asked to be acting head of centre while boss was on ‘holiday’. I was a freelancer. It transpired it was not holiday, it was enforced leave, and the first few days I was there I had all sorts of folk come and go through filing cabinets and computers. I at the time had no reason given, was just shown council badges and told to get on with running the instructors. When the boss returned, he turned up on my doorstep in a real (crying) state one night, as lots of files had been deleted off his computer that he needed to evidence bullying – he went off on permanent sick, and I have not heard from him again.
    * when doing the stock take, we had three canoes (rather nice ones) missing, and lots of top end tents, sleeping bags, wood paddle etc on inventory, but not in stores. Again, I was told to ignore by senior chap in council youth services. Rumor from staff was that there were a few council officials with nice boats and expedition kit in their garages that matched the missing items.
    * lots of the regular freelancers just suddenly stopped being used, and were removed from ‘the list’. They all happened to be friends / known well to the above outgoing boss.
    * New project set up, lots of resources, staff, equipment etc all purchased, only for the project to fail less than 6 weeks in due to low take up – and all the kit such as computers and posh office chairs just vapourised over a few days, to the consternation of the staff, two of whom were sacked for poor timekeeping (despite having only done three weeks work, and with no direct manager for that time).
    * staff who had for years quietly kept a boat in the boat park owned by the council handed a bill for storage of the boats, and given immediate written warnings…yet the bills were never chased up, just the warnings on their records when then applied for new jobs…
    * at the end of my three weeks acting head, we had an incident of theft in the office – I called the police when it became apparent that it may have been a member of staff who came down each week with a group, and it had happened before seemingly. Before the police got there, a manager from the council was there who grilled me, asked me to withdraw from police action and basically removed me from the temporary post there and then. I never even got to speak to plod in the end – the council manager did…the case went nowhere.
    *etc
    Yes some was usual council politics and feathering the nest, but much felt very orchestrated and deliberately aimed at removing some folk and bullying them when they did not fit in.
    All this is of course in perspective, when you consider the harm that young people have come to in Rotherham. 😐

just5minutes
    Free Member

Tower Hamlets council is heading for the same sort of report. The rotten boroughs are proliferating once again.

annebr
    Free Member

I hope many many councils take heed and sort their rotten barrels. 🙁

jambalaya
    Free Member

@matt ‘kin ‘ell

@just5 I am having to contain myself about Tower H or my head might explode, it seems highly likely there was substantial election fraud. This is supposed to be the UK not Zimbabwe.

hora
    Free Member

I hope its all proceedurely followed properly this time so the **** can’t bring unfair dismissal etc.

Some of the comments. A Police officer said to a victim ‘you won’t be the first to be raped by X and you won’t be the last’.

Wow.

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

It was evidently quite well known about at least as far back as 2001

From above link:

In Rotherham alone for example, 80 girls are said to be working as prostitutes.

We are led to believe it was a culture of political correctness to blame, but that being the case:

a) Why are councils and police officers also implicated in the abuse?

b) Why are files missing? (similar to the scandal surrounding the Home Office)

Furthermore:

If it was known about in 2001, how was it allowed to continue unchecked?

How many similar instances of systemic abuse continue around the country?

Could this be just the tip of the iceberg?

ninfan
    Free Member

If it was known about in 2001, how was it allowed to continue unchecked?

did you read the report?

have a look at what happened in Keighley as well. Anne Cryer was going on about this problem for years, Have a look at what happened to the few other people who said it was happening, look at what happened when they made a documentary about it

community relations

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Could this be just the tip of the iceberg?

undoubtedly

have a look at what happened in Keighley as well. Anne Cryer was going on about this problem for years, Have a look at what happened to the few other people who said it was happening, look at what happened when they made a documentary about it

just shows what happens when you don’t share a Common Purpose

binners

Jump before you’re pushed? So if they all resign, will it still be full gold-plated pensions for all? I think we can guess the answer to that one. I’m sure they had their lawyers check the small print and get it all signed off before they walked. They’re utterly shameless!!

Chances of any single one of them facing criminal charges? As they rightfully should? Zero!

I’m sure that to add insult to injury, while they walk away, totally uncaring, after the untold damage they did **** all about, Rotherham council tax payers will now foot the bill for all the rightful compensation claims against the council.

They want stringing up!

Frankenstein
    Free Member

So the council were scared of being called a racist…yeah right.

You mean they were not doing their jobs properly.

Abuse – report it – Investigate and action.

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

hora
    Free Member

I hope this is followed up and treated properly. There are alot of good people who work at councils but almost every week you hear of corruption, waste, incompetence etc and it wouldn’t surprise me if this problem affects alot more councils, maybe to a lesser degree but the spineless approach to not touching a subject due to racial sensitivity – well Rochdale and Rotherham are completely geographic and different councils yet they seem to lack the same inerta and self-interest so it’ll be interesting to see what else comes out in the future.

How disgusting though that a serving Police Officer can treat a damaged and impressionable minor like a piece of shit simply because its easier (for his/her own career) to avoid any issues as the kid is **** anyway.

How that person can serve or function and think they uphold the law. Just shows even after the racism within the Police there are still utter scum within its ranks (of good folk).

binners

I suspect that what was (and still is) going on in Rotherham is going on all over the place.

The problem is with local government and an endemic culture of cronyism. You see it in all the northern provincial authorities. Look what happened with the elected PCC’s. The first thing they all did was appoint a deputy, who happened to be one of your cronies. On a salary of up to 80 grand a year. I don’t remember that being mentioned in any of their manifesto’s.

Up here in places like Rotherham or Rochdale, you could stick a labour rosette on a melted, half-empty packet of Rolo’s and it’d get elected. On a pitifully low turnout admittedly. So as such, the labour party becomes the de facto politburo, in complete charge of handing out jobs and funding (lets not call them ‘favours’ eh?).

So, over decades a culture of patronage has developed. You brown nose, back-slide and ‘network’ your way into the good books of whoever the rising power in the local council is. Its like Communist era Moscow up here. With cabals running personal fiefdoms with public money!

So then when you look at a position like ‘Head of Childrens Services’ comes up in any of these places, the council leaders/cabal don’t look at who’s best qualified for the job. Who would be the most effective. Who has the most experience or expertise in the field. Not a bit of it. Because that doesn’t even matter. What they ask is ‘who’s next? Who’s turn is it? Who’s been the most loyal yes man. And they decide who they’re handing the huge (taxpayer funded) salary, no-questions-asked expense account, and gold plated pension too. What they’re actually asked to pretend to do is irrelevant. Whether they’re any good at it? Not really a consideration.

The whole problem is a rotten, corrupt crony culture that is now expected by party apparatchiks. It is the opposite of a meritocracy. And when the price paid by society is child abuse on an industrial scale, then it needs addressing. Though there seems little will to do it. And where do you start? Its now endemic!

patriotpro
    Free Member

Start by abolishing the so called political-correctness that’s allowed this festering boil to grow to bursting. That would be a great start.

Lifer
    Free Member

You really think that’s what it was?

Viewing 40 posts - 321 through 360 (of 1,032 total)

The topic ‘"1,400 children were subjected to "appalling" sexual exploitation in Rotherham"’ is closed to new replies.