Home Forums Chat Forum 13A Induction hobs, anyone use one?

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • 13A Induction hobs, anyone use one?
  • granny_ring

Finally getting my head around hob and oven options for the new kitchen.
    Options are…
    Double oven to run off the 32A fuse and a plug in induction hob
    or
    Plug in Single oven and induction hob to run off the 32A.

Preference is for a double oven but wondered if anyone uses a plug in induction hob and if it’s got enough go?

Thanks

plumslikerocks
    Free Member

We just got a freestanding double oven with induction hob. The whole lot is rated at 32a. Based on the fact we are highly unlikely to use all 4 rings and both ovens at full whack I took my chances wiring it into the 30a cooker circuit. Should be reet.

jam-bo

%books Christmas Day call out%

granny_ring

🙂
    You might be right, but I’d sooner play safe with doing one or the other.
    Anyone else?

Edukator
    Free Member

I use a 2kW/9A plug-in single ring outside in Summer rather than make an already warm house warmer by cooking in it. It’s ace; fast, good control, simmers nicely.

granny_ring

I guess what I’m really asking if a 13A hob is man enough if you have 3 rings on the go at the same time?

cranberry
    Free Member

One of the benefits of induction is that they can deliver a great deal of power/heat in a controllable manner – putting a low powered induction hob into a kitchen would be like putting slicks on a full suss.

Why are you restricted to an either/or solution and not able to put in both a high-powered oven and a high powered induction hob ?

zilog6128

I have a 3kW 13A portable induction hob that I use for brewing. Enough power to bring 25L or so to the boil very quickly! It also gets a wok hot enough for a proper stir-fry! (something that’s not really possible on an electric hob IME). Obviously with something like that you’d want to be careful about anything else you plug in at the same time!

giant_scum
    Free Member

I have a 13A single induction hob from Aldi that I used for cooking whilst camping, now use it in the caravan. It’s great heats up quickly and has plenty of oomph!
    Saw that Aldi has a plug in double induction hob on as a special offer.

cranberry
    Free Member

So 13 amps is plenty for a *single* ring hob then, but a built-in 3 or 4 ring hob is a different matter.

granny_ring

If I cam get away without running a 10mm cable to the cooker I will as it’ll be a lot of hassle to do so depends on if there’s ok feedback on if it’s man enough to use 3 or 4 rings at the same time.

cranberry
    Free Member

If you do it right you only have to do it once. 😉

I had an induction hob fitted and at the same time a new oven with a rapid heat function. The oven they just plugged into a socket and that was it.

It turns out that everything in the kitchen and the living room are on a single ring in my place ( go figure ) if I use the rapid heat and the kettle or microwave at the same time, everything, including the TV/router/NAS goes off and I have to wander out to the communal hallway in order to reset the trip switch.

granny_ring

I know what you’re saying but it’s going to be a real upheaval to put a 10mm cable in but……I might ‘have to’ move some water pipes, just waiting for plumbers verdict on that, if so then I’ll do the new 10mm cable as well.

I’ve already run new 2.5mm cables through for a separate kitchen ring for the new refit that should be ok.

russ295
    Free Member

With diversity applied, the demand is 26a. Existing 32a 6mm circuit should be fine for both.
    13a induction hobs are about as good as a camping stove!

WEJ

We’ve a Neff 4 ring induction hob, powered from a 13a plug. Works well. Has a boost setting, wich only works when only one ring is in use, otherwise will happily power four rings.

granny_ring

Cheers guys, good to know WEJ.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

We have a freestanding double oven + 4 ring induction job. On a 40A cable.

The ovens use about a kw or so, each. Back rings are 2kw each. Fronts are 1.4kw each. That’s pretty much right up to the 40A rating.

I wouldn’t bother messing about with 4 rings on a single 13A. It wouldn’t have the juice to run all 4 on full bore. 13A plugs also get fairly hot when you’re actually using 13A, too. Sure, diversity, blah blah blah blah blah.

YMMV, but I like power appliances to be wired up right.

cranberry
    Free Member

Slight hijack – can someone tell me what size cable I will need for an oven rated at 3.65 Kw ?

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

http://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/cablesizes.htm

15A buried in a wall gives 2.5mm minimum

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘13A Induction hobs, anyone use one?’ is closed to new replies.