Home Forums Bike Forum 12 speed nightmare setup KMC chain?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • 12 speed nightmare setup KMC chain?
  • beanieripper
    Free Member

Hi all,

im having a nighmare setting up a 1×12 setup. Clockwork evo frame, slx 7100 12spd 10/51 speed cassette on dt boost hubs. slx shifter and xt m8100 sgs rear mech. KMC x12 chain. Cranks are standard non boost with 12 spd n/w chainring on them. Ive set up loads of rear mechs and was expecting buttery silence when installed. I cant even get the chain to roll around the cassette without trying to jump onto the tooth inside it. Lots of ghostshifting from cogs 11/12, wont index well. lots of crunching and grinding. Im aware that these rear mechs lower cages arent quite straight but mine looks all over the show. When on the smallest 10t cog the rubber bumper that sits on the back of the lower cage is about 10mm outboard of the chain, i thought this was to prevent chain slap, they dont even line up. Can anyone offer any advice or have pick of your 12speed mech from behind, as it is its non rideable. Im thinking ive missed something really obvious but have rechecked every thing, are KMC chains ok with slx cassettes?? thanks for any help

simondbarnes

Check mech hanger alignment and fit a Shimano chain.

beanieripper
    Free Member

Thanks was thinking those 2 things, mech hanger looks straight to the eye (ill check with a tool) and was thinking it may be the chain…

beanieripper
    Free Member

the chain keeps catching and seems an effort to get onto the 51t cog, loads of noise and grinding to get there. Top and bottom limit are good, chain length as per shimano instructions, even with the b screw adjusted to the 2 marks it nearly fouls the cassette…

LAT

I remember reading in Bike Mag I think, that KMC chains aren’t good on Shimano 12 speed.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

+1 I ran a X12 on my Shimano/Sram setup and it didn’t play nicely, so swapped it out for a Sram chain (Sram cassette) and everything was fine.

beanieripper
    Free Member

cool will try a chain first thanks

frogstomp

Is the chain routed through the derailleur correctly? I.e. not rubbing the little tab between the two cage plates

Also, you don’t mention the age of the cassette or the chain – if they are worn to different extents they may not play well together.

mattbee

Had no issues with a KMC chain on XTR cassette with either XTR mech/shifter or current AXS Sram setup.
    Sounds like an alignment issue to me.

beanieripper
    Free Member

Cassette is brand new slx 10/51, chain in brand new as are chainrings. The rear mech is brand new. Chainline is standard triple with a nw ring in the middle. Frame is new, hanger looks straight. Ive set the low and high adjustment. Set up the b screw so the marks /line aligns with the biggest tooth on the 51t cog. If i try and drop gears down from 51 the chain tries to pull out of the jockeywheels sideways…. im really puzzled..

beanieripper
    Free Member

Am i right in thinking that the m8100 rear mech is non direct mount, and im sure my frame is not direct rd….

simondbarnes

Am i right in thinking that the m8100 rear mech is non direct mount

Yes. Any pics of your setup?

robo89
    Free Member

Direct mount hanger will cause issues, but why go shimano 12sp then not use shimano chain, you’re losing the hg+ advantage, seems like a dumb move.

beanieripper
    Free Member

Yep, slx chain arrived today. Ive used a derailleur hanger tool today and the rear hanger was out, not hugely but maybe 5-6mm at the wheel. I have a suspicion that the new xt mech is bent, i know they are not straight but its all over the show..

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘12 speed nightmare setup KMC chain?’ is closed to new replies.