Home Forums Bike Forum 10mm stem, any options?

• This topic has 17 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by eneen.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • 10mm stem, any options?
  • 35mm
    Free Member

Anyone remember the OnOff Stoic FG stem?

It was a 10 or 20mm stem with a 35 degree rise. See here:
    https://www.probikeshop.com/en/gb/onoff-stoic-fg-aa-2-35-stem-black/120763.html

It’s discontinued and out of stock. Does anyone know if there’s anything like it today?

Poopscoop

That’s an odd one op. Can’t say as I’ve ever seen that one let alone another similar model.

Do you mind me asking why you are after that style stem?

I mean to say, can you achieve similar by messing around with the cockpit in general?

BearBack
    Free Member

What about something from mondraker?

BearBack
    Free Member
    Poopscoop

That ads from some time ago unfortunately bearback.

35mm
    Free Member

What about something from mondraker?

I believe they ended up using the Stoic FG stem for their bikes after leaving the Mondraker centre stem. The 0mm Mondraker centre stem is not available either.

BearBack
    Free Member

sorry my bad, I didnt notice the details ;/
    what about one piece or a pancetti pdent..
    Syncros’s hixon style, but the hixon is effective 35/50 so different

submarined
    Free Member

Azonic Hammer FTW!

coomber
    Free Member

I’ve got a 20mm boxed new. I’ll send you a message

SirHC

https://rideworks.cc/

See if they will make you a one-off?

35mm
    Free Member

I’ve got a 20mm boxed new. I’ll send you a message

Thanks, have replied.

That’s an odd one op. Can’t say as I’ve ever seen that one let alone another similar model. Do you mind me asking why you are after that style stem? I mean to say, can you achieve similar by messing around with the cockpit in general?

Tickles me! I have a (very) long, low and slack bike and it seems like it would be a nice fit. For me, stems have always been better the shorter they are. Been riding some motorized bikes and for those it’s just how it is. Like so:

chiefgrooveguru

“For me, stems have always been better the shorter they are. Been riding some motorized bikes and for those it’s just how it is.”

The difference is that there’s so much mass in a moto that most of the stability comes from the fork trail, whilst with a MTB the rider is much heavier than the bike so if they unevenly weight the bars they can easily destabilise it – and more effective stem lengths helps reduce that.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

+1 get a 12deg Syntace and you knock about 16mm off the effective stem length, compared to ‘std.’ 8deg bars.

35mm
    Free Member

Worthwhile read on this subject:

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/exploring-the-relationship-between-handlebar-vs-stem-length.html

Nice article, thanks.

+1 get a 12deg Syntace and you knock about 16mm off the effective stem length, compared to ‘std.’ 8deg bars.

Have been looking at that as an option, but the SQlabs 3OX 12 and 16 degree has more rise (45mm).

brant
    Free Member

The Pinkbike article has some merit. But it’s stuff about the danger zone and steering axis is total nonsense.

hols2
    Free Member

But it’s stuff about the danger zone and steering axis is total nonsense.

Sure, but it does leave the door open for awesome soundtracks for helmet cam vids.

eneen
    Free Member

@brant: could you elaborate a bit about non-nonsense part of this article? I thought that this steering axis stuff only affects handling when braking, otherwise you’ve got hands in neutral position.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘10mm stem, any options?’ is closed to new replies.