Viewing 40 posts - 1,121 through 1,160 (of 1,268 total)
  • 100 Day Challenge 2020 – exercise every day til Christmas
  • lunge

Whoop whoop, I’ve got a race tomorrow. A hastily planned half marathon on a horrible, muddy course.
    It’s not a course for a PB but we’ll have a crack nonetheless.

sandboy

A torn bicep almost put me out of the game and coupled with some rough weather this has been the most challenging week so far. Dr advised to rest my arm so I have been using the static bike to keep up with my daily fix. Really dislike indoor cycling so yesterday decided I would get out on the road bike, my arm felt a bit stronger and I was out for a couple of hours with no issues. Decided to get out again this morning and after about an hour got a puncture. Sealant spraying everywhere, a nice 5mm slice in almost the sidewall of the tyre. Tried an anchovy which worked for about 16 miles leaving me a 5 mile walk home in the rain. It’s the one and only ride in a very long time that I’ve regretted going out! In reply to a question further back in the thread about carrying on the challenge into the new year, well that is what I did last year and now try to exercise for an hour every day. It’s really important to listen to your body and make sure you take it easy when you’re not feeling great. I’ve also had to work into my routine time for stretching and using my foam roller. It’s totally doable and I feel much better and happier for it. Keep going everyone, not long to go.

scotroutes

Recovery continues. Another 25km today, down at the coast for a change, and didn’t feel knackered

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Scotroutes,your recovery is my idea of a big day out!
    After last weeks hiking,cycling and weights I had fail yesterday.I really need one day of a week it seems.On the plus side,the weather looks like improving this week.

jimmy

Yoga today. Bike tomorrow.  Lying here listening to it hosing down outside.

sirromj

Upper bodyweight strength Saturday. 3 x 6 chin ups, tried wide hand position struggled. Followed by 3 x 3 pull ups, regular hand position, struggled. 3 x 6 dips, ok, but could try harder. Followed by 3 x 8 really wide hands push ups, difficult, 3 x 8 really wide hands bodyweight rows, difficult until I realized really powering the initial pull impulse would get chest to bar easier.

Sunday 2 bike rides (1 to house and 1 back) 8 miles. Slushy mud in places but mostly road.

Today, not done a workout video on Youtube for a while; went back to Bully Juice again for leg workout as some sort of substitute for a run or trials bike hop while giving upper body a break. First 20 minutes was thinking this is easy. BUT NEVER DONE SO MANY SQUATS. Then the last set of sumo squats started to feel it. Then rounds of frog jumps bunny hops and hip thrusts to finish, took the heart rate up, brought the sweat out, and hints of jelly legs.

Tomorrow, in the unlikely event I get up in time, ride to house and back before work (from home). Putting bike security in back pack which will be around 11kg on my back for 8 miles until I drop it off. Likelihood of me getting up in time: 1% – unlikely – given form of past six months or if I get another night where I wake up and struggle to get back to sleep again.

Earl
    Free Member

Grease the Grove.
    Upper anterior day tomorrow. For me its gonna be 10 pressups followed by a 15-20s handstand hold per set – aiming for 25-30 ‘work from home’ sets between 830 and 5pm.

Anyone else interested? (increase for drop the numbers to suit)

sirromj

Yeah could do actually. Especially if I fail to get up for my planned bike ride 🙂

I can’t do free standing handstand but walk hands into chest to wall ok, or kick up with back to wall. Would rather do the push ups after the handstand though but will give it a go.

I’ll go for 15 minutes between each set with a break during lunch with a hop about on the bike.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

I dare you to tell Bully Juice he’s got a camel toe

Battling on here, bike ride yesterday, circuits Saturday and today. Ankle improving slowly.

sirromj

I dare you to tell Bully Juice he’s got a camel toe

Or maybe wear more supportive under garments?

Earl
    Free Member

Cool sirromj

Do what ever suits. I can’t free handstand for more than 5s so I start there but then end up back to wall (fireplace actually). I also mix it up with 5+5+5 = 15s second holds as the single leg kickup or 2 legged jump up feels great for the core.

Good luck1

jimmy

25 miles up the Pentlands today. Was great to be out in real daylight and even sunshine.

claudie

We’re into the last 10 days, oh yeah! Keep going everyone – we’re close …

sirromj

Telling people I’m unlikely to get up in time to do something I want to do is a sure fire way of me actually doing it. Won’t be in a rush to go for a bike ride with an 11kg load on my back again however. 9 miles with it on, 10 without. I felt light as a feather after dropping it off and getting back on the bike!

@earl
    didn’t start GtG until 11, done 3 sets of 10 push ups and 20s handstand holds against wall (excluding the walk up into position). Too much effort, not sustainable, gonna have to reduce.

Earl
    Free Member

That walk up/walk out is a lot lot harder than the actual hold. I’ve just done my 12th set.

Off to kick a rugby ball up and down a hill to get some cardio in then back to knock the rest off.

munrobiker
    Free Member

I thought I’d better check in, since it’s kinda my party. I’m trundling along – not missed a day yet which will probably the first time since I started doing these 4 years ago. It turns out it’s a lot easier if you’re not training for a race – I can take it easy, do something I’m more motivated to do than slog out for 3 hours on the gravel bike in the dark and the rain and I don’t have to worry about not being fit enough at the end of it.

I’ve still been riding a lot but backed off a bit so I don’t completely overshoot my 4,500 mile target for the year (got to leave something to aim for!) and that’s left more time for climbing which has been bloody brilliant. I’ve also been riding my mountain bike more (and am already one set of brake pads down this month…)

Earl
    Free Member

GtG
    Got to 25 sets before I lost my handstand spot. A relief tbh. I was feeling my back starting sag.

Pull day tomorrow sirromj if your interested – or any one else.

scotroutes

Day 91.

64km on the quiet roads of Moray. Bagged a few Veloviewer squares, made a dent in the distance I’m aiming to make this year, did a lot of chatting and had lunch. All in decent weather (it’s about to turn a bit shit).

Swim planned tomorrow AM again (gulp!)

I’ve started using Intervals.icu to help balance out my somewhat erratic workouts. Surprisingly (not really 😉 ) I have made the best gains in fitness when I have been following a program in Zwift and not just randomly riding too hard and getting tired.

Throughout this I have just gone for whatever seemed like a good idea, but this last 6 weeks I have started trying to work towards a plan. Childish I know, but my plan is to smash my mate at a gravel race in the summer. Assuming vaccines etc. So I am going to keep something going for 100 days after Christmas. This has served as motivation, and I’ll probably keep posting here. I may even manage to get outside and get some pictures too.

sirromj

Got a message saying my Screwfux order was complete. Turns out 1400 assorted wood screws, 1kg nails and a few other bits came to 11kg again in my back peak. Another 9-10 miles.

@earl
    I got 7 sets GtG today, halved the reps after the 3rd set. Gave up after the last bike ride. Will have a go at pull ups GtG tomorrow. 2 and 15 minute timer.

Earl
    Free Member

What’s 2 and 15min timer?

Earl
    Free Member

For anyone interested in GtG.

I’ve swapped from ‘normal’ workouts to GtG for a month now. I’ve seamed to have settled on 4 days – push, pull, hinge, core. Friday is mobility focused. 100 walking lunges after my weekend ride takes care of squat.

What I’ve noticed.
    Muscles are never really sore the next day. Just a little tired. In fact I did 100 pulls then another 50 the next day. Always something in the tank.
    I haven’t lost or gained any bulk (I’m a lump).
    It’s getting easier week to week.
    I feel fresh for my weekend ride.
    My work productivity may have increased? Mental sprinting between sets maybe?

A day a week, I go get firewood. 25kg ish in a backpack for a 1.5 mile walk. The last 2 weeks felt a lot easier like my body was more stable.

I am liking it – expecially as a winter WFH solution.

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

45 minute ride to the chippy for fish cakes.

scotroutes

45 minute ride to the chippy for fish cakes.

Works for me (though it’s haggis).

I have been opting to walk a bit more for general errands. I figure it all counts.

ads678

I’m pleased it’s nearly over, cos it means I don’t have to exercise. Some days it’s so hard to motivate when we’ve been really busy and I just want to sit down have a beer and mess about with the kids. My job has been a lot more physical since Oct as well.

But I’m so pleased that I haven’t missed a day and I really hope it’s become a bit of a habit.

I was struggling for motivation towards the end of summer as I had nothing to train for and I’m rubbish if I don’t have a reason. This gave me the reason. Now I want get fitter and lose more weight. Hopefully I won’t put too much back on over Christmas…

I am counting down, but I have enjoyed it. I might even join the Strava club next year! Well done everyone for getting this far.

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

8)Rest is not recovery.

sirromj

Greasing the groove with pull/chin ups today. Only 2 every 15 (or 16 or 17 or…) minutes as I’m not very strong. Did 50 total. Never consistent with pull ups, the other week did 8 sets of 5 in an hour, but today was more difficult in some ways, guess it was more dragging it out than greasing the groove. Hop about on the street bike for 35/40 minutes at lunch.

Here’s a couple of gloomy photos from one of yesterday’s rides for your appreciation:

scotroutes

Day 92

Didn’t go as planned. Morning dip was cancelled due to a veterinary emergency so I spent another 30 minutes with Kassandra, working mainly on my hips. Hoping for Loch Morlich tomorrow now.

Day 93

10.5km walk in the lovely winter sunshine up Ben Aigan. Not a huge hill but stunning views across the Moray Firth and over Banffshire.

One week to go!!

Merak

Will there be a list of finishers for this?

Been thinking if you’ve missed a day say. Is that you out?

I had considered keeping it going past Xmas eve and in a way I will. I’m going to start the Festive 500 and see if the Scottish winter will allow me to complete it.

Regards the exercising every day, its been a chore on a few occasions because of life. I’m sure everyone’s in the same boat.

I’ll definitely be fitting it in 3 times a week in the new year maybe more, every day not so much. Its been an interesting experiment though. I’ve lost nigh on 10kg running every day, I’ve felt better mentally, I’ve drank less (only because I’ve been to tired to stay up getting pisssed)

mogrim

Regards the exercising every day, its been a chore on a few occasions because of life. I’m sure everyone’s in the same boat.

Today for example: I’m supposed to be having a virtual drinks party with my colleagues but will have to keep it all under control if I’m going to do my 30min exercise later… although perhaps that’s for the best 😀

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Think I’ve missed eight days but still counting myself in 🤣. Mixture of injuries and life. Had a bank of seven as I started a week early though.

Definitely will keep going but going to can Thursdays. The combo of Work, kids, kids swimming, making tea, kids to bed, weekly big shop, washing up means I’m fit for nowt by the time I’m finished.

jimmy

I’ve done something every day – sometimes just a stroll with the family,  some days just a 30 min lunchtime stroll but that’s a 30min stroll I wouldn’t have done without this challenge.

Rode GT red on Wednesday night (bit naughty), Yoga yesterday. Weighed in this morning and I’m 5lb down on starting weight back in September. That’s a combination of more exercise at this time of year than I’ve ever done, and not being in the office surrounded by piles of sweets and cakes.

sirromj

Missed yesterday because needed to catch up on work, wfh. That’s 3/100 I’ve missed. I did go for a rushed stroll to the shops during lunch time but didn’t really feel it qualified.

lunge

Today for example: I’m supposed to be having a virtual drinks party with my colleagues but will have to keep it all under control if I’m going to do my 30min exercise later… although perhaps that’s for the best

That was me yesterday. Most of my team drunk on a Teams call, me with a cup of tea. The 7 mile run I did once I’d finished was no fun at all, but it got done.

Anyway, still not missed a day and I’ll be keeping going into next year. I’ve done 30 mins+ every day since the start of lockdown 1, the habit is well and truly formed.

oldtennisshoes

Fastest 1 k and 1 mile of the past 5 years for me today on my morning run. The shorter days are making it harder to get out first thing, but once out it’s great.
    I often ponder the value/cost of visiting this forum, but this has been a definite plus for me. Thanks @munrobiker from this middle class whiney cockbag 😉

marksnook
    Free Member

I haven’t missed a day, actually think I might be on for 104 days as I had a long weekend in Innerleithen then started 100 days the day after I was back! It’s been great, counting putting my walking boots and getting up the hill with the dogs has helped me massively. Without that I think I would have struggled. I had to be able to record my exercise on Strava so that sort of ruled out around town dog walks, yoga and weights which I do anyway.

The hardest part is leaving the house. Once I’ve done that I find i just get into whatever I’m doing and enjoy it

marksnook
    Free Member

Just scrolled back on Strava, got day one listed as 15th September. That puts me on day 95 by my count?

jimmy

The hardest part is leaving the house. Once I’ve done that I find i just get into whatever I’m doing and enjoy it

I agree, but I’ve found it easier to leave the house because if I don’t, I’ve messed the whole thing up. Saying that, I didn’t get out at lunch so have to do something this evening. Did similar last week and had work’s cocktails ’til 7pm. Went for a walk afterwards, stopped at the shop, bought a beer, sat on a wall drank it, wand walked back. 40mins walking I wouldn’t have done otherwise!

scotroutes

Went for a walk afterwards, stopped at the shop, bought a beer, sat on a wall drank it, wand walked back. 40mins walking I wouldn’t have done otherwise!

Yeah, one of the things I’ve been doing is walking around a bit more in place of driving (or even riding) short, local journeys.

I didn’t make to Loch Morlich today either. Another equine exigency. I did a fair bit of walking around chasing a horse and then a trip to the vet but didn’t feel that was enough so headed out later in the afternoon for a short run. It was dreich when I left, I stopped under a tree to recover and drink a stashed beer, then it was absolutely hosing it down on my way home. I’d have been drier in Loch Morlich 🙂

6 days to go!

munrobiker
    Free Member

Yep, this is it everyone- you can start counting down not in quarters, not months, not weeks but DAYS!

I haven’t missed a day yet which is a first. I’ve not felt anywhere near as run down as usual but I’ve also not been training mega hard.

Had a bloody brilliant MTB ride today. I always finish on day 100 with a decent mountain bike ride. Last year’s was snowy, the year before’s frosty. I suspect this year’s will be sloppy…

Viewing 40 posts - 1,121 through 1,160 (of 1,268 total)

The topic ‘100 Day Challenge 2020 – exercise every day til Christmas’ is closed to new replies.